SAAFL Division 4 2014

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Who will win the division 4 grand final?

Glenunga
7%
Eastern Park
18%
Golden Grove
25%
Hectorville
4%
Hope Valley
9%
Kenilworth
8%
Pooraka
5%
Pulteney
1%
Salisbury West
16%
Woodville South
9%

Total votes : 105

Re: SAAFL Division 4 2014

Postby Hefty » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:28 am

Bloody northern suburbs clubs.......can't get nuttin' right ;)
Hefty
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 110 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby jo172 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:05 pm

Phantom Gossiper wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:i think you'll be fighting more than one opponent for that last C grade spot

What a crazy crazy year...and it hasn't even started yet.

Is grass roots sports across the board slowly dying in Australia?

In America they dont have structured grass roots sports programs - if you dont make it thats it.. could we be headed the same way?

Absolutely not.

I think you're just seeing a diversion between clubs who plan for long-term success vis a vis short term success.

Take the Club's with (arguably) the two biggest junior programs in the State. TTG are fielding a fourth side again and PNU are fielding a fourth side for the first time in their history (as PNU).

Similarly well run clubs, who have been buidling from the ground up for a number of years in Hope Valley and Old Iggies are doing the same thing.

I think what you'll find are that clubs which have historically done little to nothing to develop junior football (Brahma, Kilburn, Ovingham, Mitchell Park) are struggling whereas the Club's who put the effort in, and have been putting the effort in for a number of years are reaping the rewards.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby Yank Man » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:49 pm

jo172 wrote:
Phantom Gossiper wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:i think you'll be fighting more than one opponent for that last C grade spot

In America they dont have structured grass roots sports programs - if you dont make it thats it.. could we be headed the same way?

Absolutely not.

I think you're just seeing a diversion between clubs who plan for long-term success vis a vis short term success.

Take the Club's with (arguably) the two biggest junior programs in the State. TTG are fielding a fourth side again and PNU are fielding a fourth side for the first time in their history (as PNU).

Similarly well run clubs, who have been buidling from the ground up for a number of years in Hope Valley and Old Iggies are doing the same thing.

I think what you'll find are that clubs which have historically done little to nothing to develop junior football (Brahma, Kilburn, Ovingham, Mitchell Park) are struggling whereas the Club's who put the effort in, and have been putting the effort in for a number of years are reaping the rewards.

What you're saying is correct. But Mitchell Park have been working hard on our juniors and currently have 4 full teams for 2014 with the possibility of a 5th. Our problem is the gap between the 30 plus year olds and the next generation. Our fault because we didn't work hard enough at it back then.
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 317 times
Grassroots Team: Edwardstown

Postby Browny25 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:24 pm

Cohiba wrote:Some clubs may accept more readily the vagaries of enjoying success and accepting the leaner years as they come and go. Swings and roundabouts if you will. Kilburn appear to be in a similar situation when you see the clearances that have impacted on the Club. Sure they "mouth off" a bit when on top, but to their credit (so far as I have seen or heard) aren't lamenting about their situation at what potentially looks like a tough 2014 season with the loss of more than a couple of talented players.

I understand your point, it makes perfect sense and from an outside you could think we are purely not accepting the fact that we will struggle.

I for one do not like the situation being played out on a forum such as this - It should have never been public knowledge but that seems near impossible these days.
Browny25
Coach

Has liked: 105 times
Been liked: 28 times
Grassroots Team: Brahma Lodge

Postby Browny25 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:29 pm

jo172 wrote:
Phantom Gossiper wrote:

Absolutely not.

Brahma is working very hard on its junior program but its a tough market.

Other side of that - The likes of Golden Grove, Salisbury, Eastern Park who have very good junior programs - You could say they should be in Div 1 or 2, and anything less is under achieving.

Adelaide Uni are pretty good for juniors too ;)
Browny25
Coach

Has liked: 105 times
Been liked: 28 times
Grassroots Team: Brahma Lodge

Postby Q. » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:31 pm

Better to have a bye in D4 reserves than have a bye for the whole division.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby jo172 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:40 pm

Browny25 wrote:
jo172 wrote:
Phantom Gossiper wrote:

Absolutely not.

Brahma is working very hard on its junior program but its a tough market.

Other side of that - The likes of Golden Grove, Salisbury, Eastern Park who have very good junior programs - You could say they should be in Div 1 or 2, and anything less is under achieving.

Adelaide Uni are pretty good for juniors too ;)

Eastern Park are a really curious example of all what happens in Amateur Footy.

They obviously reached the pinnacle, have a fantastic junior program, under 18s coming through every year but it's all gone very wrong. I suspect that they're victims of stretching their win now mentality. Additionally I question their commitment to fielding very strong C Grade sides whilst having uncompetitive B Grade and often A Grade sides in the last 3 years. It doesn't build for a healthy club.

Golden Grove are probably an anomaly in terms of having a relatively brief history meaning as a result they lack the connections, sponsorship and 'tradition' of other clubs.
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby jo172 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:41 pm

Yank Man wrote:What you're saying is correct. But Mitchell Park have been working hard on our juniors and currently have 4 full teams for 2014 with the possibility of a 5th. Our problem is the gap between the 30 plus year olds and the next generation. Our fault because we didn't work hard enough at it back then.

I was not aware and I stand corrected. Keep at it and the rewards come.
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby Demon Juke » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:51 pm

Q. wrote:Better to have a bye in D4 reserves than have a bye for the whole division.

Maybe if you only had 1 team, div 7 or 8 would be a better fit and then the res team that your "a" grade play could have the bye, might be better for your club to come back from then just playing "c1" or "c2". I know you said you are going to loose 20 "a" grade players but didn't you have 4 sides last year or was that the year before?
Last edited by Demon Juke on Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Demon Juke
League - Best 21

Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 69 times

Postby Cohiba » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:08 pm

Browny25 wrote:
Cohiba wrote:Some clubs may accept more readily the vagaries of enjoying success and accepting the leaner years as they come and go. Swings and roundabouts if you will. Kilburn appear to be in a similar situation when you see the clearances that have impacted on the Club. Sure they "mouth off" a bit when on top, but to their credit (so far as I have seen or heard) aren't lamenting about their situation at what potentially looks like a tough 2014 season with the loss of more than a couple of talented players.

I understand your point, it makes perfect sense and from an outside you could think we are purely not accepting the fact that we will struggle.

I for one do not like the situation being played out on a forum such as this - It should have never been public knowledge but that seems near impossible these days.

At the end of the day all this commentary and banter is of little consequence....The real situation is more how the people of BL will face the challenge of whatever "cards" it is dealt when the whistle blows to kick off the season. Good luck to Tigers in 2014.
Cohiba
Reserves

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 41 times

Postby lutz » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:46 pm

I was down at the snake pit saturday morning and think i may have seen Woodville South U18's have a training sesh?? If so that is a great effort by them because there were a lot of numbers; especially considering the time of the week and year.
lutz
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Postby BurraBoys » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:06 pm

All very quiet in here....cone of silence?
We kick of trials next week. Can't wait. Itchy feet for this season!
Wise man say forgivness is divine but never pay full price for late pizza
BurraBoys
Reserves

Been liked: 23 times

Postby Footy Chick » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:08 pm

No, another club is potentially in the poo, so we're all congregating around the div 3 forum ;)

Yep, we kick off next weekend (not the long weekend) against Fitzroy...
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby BZB27 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:41 pm

Pooraka are taking on Adelaide lutheran next sunday getting pretty keen for the season to start
BZB27
League - Best 21

Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 173 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Robb_Stark » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:20 am

BZB27 wrote:Pooraka are taking on Adelaide lutheran next sunday getting pretty keen for the season to start

i heard this is a 10am start time.....dont know if Jared Gatt and is band misfits will home from clubbing at that time :)
Robb_Stark
League - Best 21

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 155 times

Postby S Demon » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:05 pm

Robb_Stark wrote:
BZB27 wrote:Pooraka are taking on Adelaide lutheran next sunday getting pretty keen for the season to start

i heard this is a 10am start time.....dont know if Jared Gatt and is band misfits will home from clubbing at that time :)

Maybe he'll still be at home talking about himself in the 3rd person...
S Demon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 370 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby S Demon » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:14 pm

Hypothetically, if kilburn dropped out of Div 3, who would go up?
In order of who gets asked, is it:
Eastern Park (although they knocked it back already when BL came back)
Salisbury West (finished 3rd)
Golden Grove (finished 4th)
And so on and so on...

Not sure about the first 2, but I reckon GG would grab the chance if it were offered?
How would it all go down?
S Demon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 370 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby BurraBoys » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:17 pm

All hypotheticals at this stage but if the opportunity arose id like to think we'd take it.

The interesting conversation to have would be if we or SW are presented with an opportunity to go up, do the goal posts move with respect to the performance expectations for this season? Maybe externally, but what about internally? A big challenge would be depth. A few injuries in the middle of winter and the wheels could fall off if the entire senior group is not ready for D3 footy
Wise man say forgivness is divine but never pay full price for late pizza
BurraBoys
Reserves

Been liked: 23 times

Postby Robb_Stark » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:27 am

BurraBoys wrote:All hypotheticals at this stage but if the opportunity arose id like to think we'd take it.

The interesting conversation to have would be if we or SW are presented with an opportunity to go up, do the goal posts move with respect to the performance expectations for this season? Maybe externally, but what about internally? A big challenge would be depth. A few injuries in the middle of winter and the wheels could fall off if the entire senior group is not ready for D3 footy

we talked about that at trainning last night we thought salisbury west would be offered first then if they said no then GG if they said no then Pooraka then so on and so on until one of the teams finally said yes.......
Robb_Stark
League - Best 21

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 155 times

Postby BZB27 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:36 am

Robb_Stark wrote:
BurraBoys wrote:All hypotheticals at this stage but if the opportunity arose id like to think we'd take it.

we talked about that at trainning last night we thought salisbury west would be offered first then if they said no then GG if they said no then Pooraka then so on and so on until one of the teams finally said yes.......

It doesnt look like it matters now after what PG wrote in div 3 forum that they will stay in divvy 3.
BZB27
League - Best 21

Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 173 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League