Port (Power Reserves) 2014

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Port (Power Reserves) 2014

Postby Aerie » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:52 pm

Big Phil wrote:Steve Summerton announced as the Captain of the Port Magpies / Power Reserves side for 2014...

Will continue the club tradition and stop wearing his number 33 jumper to don the number 1, instead...

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2 ... fl-captain

Hate to say it, but Port Adelaide are doing all the right things off the field to make this a success. Whether the SANFL as a competition can stand up to all this is another question...
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 503 times

Postby Sanflfirst » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:03 pm

Ah "Beenreal" taken directly from a statement off the Port Magpies website dated 10th Sept last year. Have a read of it.
Sanflfirst
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Andamooka

Postby Tech1 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:07 pm

On paper that side should finish top. Don't agree with the Summerton decision to let him play for them this year and surprised clubs haven't kicked up a fuss about this and some of there other signings. Can see the Crows being about middle of the table but with the concessions given to Port i'd be surprised if they're not top 3 at the least. Question, can the "$400 a game", not age limit on signing players and the academy (reserves) team be changed next year or is it locked in for a certain amount of years unlike the Crows deal which can be changed year to year depending on how strong or weak they are?
Tech1
Rookie

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 27 times

Postby kickinit » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:19 pm

Tech1 wrote:On paper that side should finish top. Don't agree with the Summerton decision to let him play for them this year and surprised clubs haven't kicked up a fuss about this and some of there other signings. Can see the Crows being about middle of the table but with the concessions given to Port i'd be surprised if they're not top 3 at the least. Question, can the "$400 a game", not age limit on signing players and the academy (reserves) team be changed next year or is it locked in for a certain amount of years unlike the Crows deal which can be changed year to year depending on how strong or weak they are?

what are you talking about? The rule is they are allowed 15 top up players , 1 can be a leadership players which has to be over 28. Only the leadership player can be paid over $400 a game. Port asked if Sommerton (25) could be used as there leadership player, to which the SANFL said no. Henry Slattery will be port's leadership player. Port haven't broken any of the rules set out by the SANFL directors, so how can they kick up a fuss?
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 95 times

Postby Tech1 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:33 pm

kickinit wrote:
Tech1 wrote:On paper that side should finish top. Don't agree with the Summerton decision to let him play for them this year and surprised clubs haven't kicked up a fuss about this and some of there other signings. Can see the Crows being about middle of the table but with the concessions given to Port i'd be surprised if they're not top 3 at the least. Question, can the "$400 a game", not age limit on signing players and the academy (reserves) team be changed next year or is it locked in for a certain amount of years unlike the Crows deal which can be changed year to year depending on how strong or weak they are?

what are you talking about? The rule is they are allowed 15 top up players , 1 can be a leadership players which has to be over 28. Only the leadership player can be paid over $400 a game. Port asked if Sommerton (25) could be used as there leadership player, to which the SANFL said no. Henry Slattery will be port's leadership player. Port haven't broken any of the rules set out by the SANFL directors, so how can they kick up a fuss?

Really? So Summerton is playing for $400 a game is he ? oh that's right you back ended the contract, yup you didn't break the rules but i still don't think he's just getting 400 a game this year. I suppose Motlop, Krakouer and to a lesser extent Raikiwasa are also going to be paid $400 a game? Give me a break.
Tech1
Rookie

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 27 times

Postby Brodlach » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:43 pm

Summerton named as the Magpies captain
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4207 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby SANFLnut » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:08 pm

beenreal wrote:
Sanflfirst wrote:Having re-read the statement made by the Port Adelaide Football Club when accepting the invitation to join the SANFL which read that all Port Adelaide AFL listed players who do not make their AFL team must play in their SANFL League side I'm somewhat surprised that Motlop and Co. have decided to return. The Port Power have forty listed players which means that if all are fit then only two positions remain available. Surely their must be 8 - 10 players on their list better prospects than these two or have the conditions for the Powers entry been changed?

Really? I'm sure we'll appreciate a link to this informative statement.

Anyone got a definitive answer with some evidence?
SANFLnut
Reserves

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 65 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby daysofourlives » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:10 pm

Big Phil wrote:Steve Summerton announced as the Captain of the Port Magpies / Power Reserves side for 2014...

Will start a new tradition at the new club and stop wearing his number 33 jumper to don the number 1, instead...

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2 ... fl-captain
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby kickinit » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:21 pm

Tech1 wrote:
kickinit wrote:

Really? So Summerton is playing for $400 a game is he ? oh that's right you back ended the contract, yup you didn't break the rules but i still don't think he's just getting 400 a game this year. I suppose Motlop, Krakouer and to a lesser extent Raikiwasa are also going to be paid $400 a game? Give me a break.

yes he is only getting $400 a game once he turns 28 he will be made the leadership player, which will allow him to earn more. Do you actually think after all the hard work to get the deal done port would actually do dodgy deals.
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 95 times

Postby Macca19 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:32 pm

Krakouer has barely played any footy for 2 years. Why would he be worth more than 400 a game?
Macca19
League - Best 21

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby Sanflfirst » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:38 pm

SANFLnut wrote:
beenreal wrote:
Sanflfirst wrote:Having re-read the statement made by the Port Adelaide Football Club when accepting the invitation to join the SANFL which read that all Port Adelaide AFL listed players who do not make their AFL team must play in their SANFL League side I'm somewhat surprised that Motlop and Co. have decided to return. The Port Power have forty listed players which means that if all are fit then only two positions remain available. Surely their must be 8 - 10 players on their list better prospects than these two or have the conditions for the Powers entry been changed?

Really? I'm sure we'll appreciate a link to this informative statement.

Anyone got a definitive answer with some evidence?

Don't know whether the following link will work so have cut and pasted an abridged article underneath.

http://www.portmagpies.com.au/news.php?news_id=1067

Port Adelaide accepts SANFL invitation

10th Sep 2013
Statement: Port Adelaide accepts SANFL invitation
Tuesday 10 September 2013

The Port Adelaide Football Club Board of Directors has today unanimously voted to accept a formal invitation from the South Australian Football Commission to allow the club’s AFL-listed players to play under its Magpies banner in the SANFL League competition from 2014 onwards.

The Club has agreed to a model which allows all of its AFL-listed players who are not selected to play in the AFL competition on any given match weekend to play for the Magpies in the SANFL League competition.

A pool of 15 contracted SANFL players will also be eligible to play in either the club’s SANFL League or Academy team in the Reserves competition.

There is to be no age limit on the players selected for the contracted SANFL player list.

The remainder of the club’s SANFL Academy team will be comprised of a list of players aged between 18 and 22 years.

The key points of the agreement between the SANFL and the Port Adelaide Football Club are:

- From 2014, all of Port Adelaide’s AFL-listed players will play for the club’s SANFL League team when not selected to play for the Power

- The SANFL League team will be supported by a pool of 15 contracted SANFL-only players
- Port Adelaide will operate an Academy team in the SANFL Reserves competition with a list of players aged 18-22.
- All Port Adelaide teams participating in the SANFL will continue to use the Magpies nickname and wear the club’s traditional black and white guernsey
- Port Adelaide is required to operate a conventional junior structure in 2014 including teams in the U18, U16 and talent squad competitions
- Port Adelaide must disband its conventional junior structure and recruiting zonesfrom 2015
- Port Adelaide is permitted to attract sponsors for its SANFL team, providing these are not competing partners of the SANFL competition
- Port Adelaide SANFL memberships are permitted to be sold independently and in conjunction with Port Adelaide AFL memberships
- Port Adelaide will continue to play home matches at its traditional home ground Alberton Oval
- All Port Adelaide players are eligible to win the Magarey Medal
- Contracted pool of SANFL-only players are eligible to represent the state; AFL-listed players are ineligible to represent the state.
- Port Adelaide commits to ‘playing the line’ including:
o Not resting players and taking up elective surgery options
o SANFL doctor to provide second opinion on surgeries prior to end of season.
Sanflfirst
Mini-League

Postby Sanflfirst » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:43 pm

Note the statement - From 2014 all of Port Adelaide's AFL listed players will play for the clubs SANFL League team when not selected to play for the Power. Have the SANFL and Port Adelaide made an agreement that overrules this?
Sanflfirst
Mini-League

Postby Dutchy » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:59 pm

Can we please keep this thread to discussion about what is going to happen on field for Port this season, plenty of other threads for debates
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Sanflfirst » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:10 pm

Sorry Dutchy my fault. Was a long winded way of getting around to the point of this thread which is how the Power's SANFL League team will go this year and also answered a ? From a poster on page 1. Funnily enough I think that should the Power's AFL team have a good run with injuries then I'd think that the SANFL League team will be middle of the table. Players like Summerton, Rakawaisa, Young and Co will get a fair run but I just can't see why players like Motlop and Krakouer would sign on to play SANFL Reserves Footy.
Sanflfirst
Mini-League

Postby SANFLnut » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:44 am

Hard to discuss the on field situation without considering the selection question posed. Goes directly towards how strong their team will be in league comp.

If players such as Rakiwasa, Slattery, Sharrad, Motlop, Krakouer are left out so that Amon, Flynn, Harvey etc. can play league then that will directly impact their on field competitiveness. As I tried to point out in an earlier post if that rule is applied and Booney's team is correct then Summerton could be the only non-power player selected. If that was the case then I think their bottom 6 or so players would be of average SANFL reserves standard. Their top 6 of Gray, Logan, Mitchell, Jonas, Heath, Stevenson would be pretty good but have not been dominant performers in the SANFL previously (Logan and Gray have). Not many sides with that sort of profile have been finals sides in SANFL comp. If that is what they are forced to pick then I think they will finish below Norwood and North. Hard to get a line through West, Eagles, Sturt, Centrals in next group. I'd have Port in with Crows and South at 7,8,9 and Glenelg 10th depending on how their recruits perform.
SANFLnut
Reserves

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 65 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby MatteeG » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:21 am

They'll be really good until they start pulling blokes out for surgery at the end of the year. 3rd-5th.
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby beenreal » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:36 pm

PORT ADELAIDE FOOTBALL CLUB
Serving the community since 1870
Developing footballers for 143 years
Proud of the Past, Confident of the Future
beenreal
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Seaton Ramblers

Postby DOC » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:08 am

Then it's Glenelg in Round 2 at Alberton, so it's a tough start but one that will give us a real insight into where we're at, how competetive we're going to be and who will be part of our group for the year ahead.

Wow. Imagine how tough the start would be playing Glenelg at Glenelg.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 724 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby Ecky » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:27 pm

Apologies if this is common knowledge, but one thing I haven't heard yet is whether AFL-listed Port players are eligible to play for the Port SANFL reserves side (if their form isn't up to SANFL League level for example)? Do you know beenreal?
John Olsen, June 2012 wrote:"Reserves teams in the SANFL for the two AFL clubs is not negotiable.
We will not compromise the SANFL competition (with AFL reserves teams)."
Ecky
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 79 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide Lutheran

Postby Booney » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:56 pm

Ecky wrote:Apologies if this is common knowledge, but one thing I haven't heard yet is whether AFL-listed Port players are eligible to play for the Port SANFL reserves side (if their form isn't up to SANFL League level for example)? Do you know beenreal?

Therein lies what the ruling is.

If AFL players must play ahead of any SANFL players then there isn't enough on the AFL list to fill AFL, emergencies and SANFL league.

If SANFL players, like Summerton, Raikiwasa are in the SANFL league side then surely AFL rookies like Byrne-Jones etc would be playing SANFL reserves.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL