Young coaches.

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: Young coaches.

Postby TIRED TIGER » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:31 pm

BigDaddy wrote:This old chestnut again... Sigh...
Mitch is an outstanding leader of men and has a fantastic football brain. He has been in the SANFL system for years and has been able to build on solid foundations of professionalism and skills laid by previous coaches. I have no doubt that he will be a strong coach this year, particularly with the trust that he has in the team around him.

Let's just nip this in the bud now... S Demon, the 'big purse' insinuation is an insult to Mitch and my club. To date, we will be playing with a total of 5 out of a possible 15 points. We have worked hard on recruiting the right player/person for our team and it has meant that the overwhelming number of players are there for the right reasons, and that does not equate to money. TTG has never, and will never, be a club that can afford to attract players based purely on money, and nor would we want to. Next time, before throwing out loose allegations and innuendo, feel free to contact me or someone else at the club who actually knows what goes on.

So i suppose Josh Hand left the big dollars behind at Geppies,cos he liked the idea of wearing a red and black guernsey :shock:
TIRED TIGER
Reserves

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 46 times
Grassroots Team: Broadview

Postby BigDaddy » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:28 pm

Yep. That, and he has a vested interest in the juniors. Not everything has sinister connections, so quit it with the shocked face until you have asked appropriate questions to the appropriate people.
BigDaddy
Under 16s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 7 times
Grassroots Team: Tea Tree Gully

Postby S Demon » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:58 am

Mitch is an outstanding leader of men and has a fantastic football brain. He has been in the SANFL system for years and has been able to build on solid foundations of professionalism and skills laid by previous coaches. I have no doubt that he will be a strong coach this year, particularly with the trust that he has in the team around him.

Let's just nip this in the bud now... S Demon, the 'big purse' insinuation is an insult to Mitch and my club. To date, we will be playing with a total of 5 out of a possible 15 points. We have worked hard on recruiting the right player/person for our team and it has meant that the overwhelming number of players are there for the right reasons, and that does not equate to money. TTG has never, and will never, be a club that can afford to attract players based purely on money, and nor would we want to. Next time, before throwing out loose allegations and innuendo, feel free to contact me or someone else at the club who actually knows what goes on.

Sorry if I insulted you or your club after suggesting some quality recruits are most likely being paid good money at TTG. I forgot that in the age of country clubs offering huge cash to anyone with a pulse, that players of such high quality consider other things such as a clubs junior set up. I'm sure it makes mention of it in their contracts as a deal breaker

If I contacted you, you would openly tell me about your recruits and how you got them to TTG?
You wouldn't, because it's none of my business. So don't kid yourself

Perhaps you could cut and paste your post into an email and send it to all your players so there's no more loose allegations or innuendo flung around..
S Demon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 370 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby The Bedge » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:09 pm

*Bump* - interesting discussion from back in the day.. curious to know peoples views on this now? Have they changed at all - and if so which way?

Interesting that D6R GF will be contested by two young coaches as well, and appears to be more younger people putting their hand up to take on coaching roles this year.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby jo172 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:22 pm

Zartan wrote:*Bump* - interesting discussion from back in the day.. curious to know peoples views on this now? Have they changed at all - and if so which way?

Interesting that D6R GF will be contested by two young coaches as well, and appears to be more younger people putting their hand up to take on coaching roles this year.

I got side tracked by reading the TTG mud flinging :lol:
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby finn » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:44 pm

Not sure if it counts bu I coached a winning Div 8 team at 22 way back in 1990. It was our 4th side that year.
always forgive your enemies...nothing annoys them so much
finn
League - Best 21

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 22 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby whufc » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:47 pm

Q. wrote:It's not easy coaching the B Grade and then backing up to play the A Grade game.

Agree,

Personally im not a big fan of it all, im yet to see it work in a way that is overly successful.

Im also not a huge fan of playing coaches either but that could be because i was so average i had to concentrate so hard on getting my own kick there is no way i could think of the other 21 players.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby jo172 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:58 pm

finn wrote:Not sure if it counts bu I coached a winning Div 8 team at 22 way back in 1990. It was our 4th side that year.

But on the other hand there's young coaches like Rocky Austin junior ;)
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby wonder_kid » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:13 pm

shane baldock was 26 when he took over Kenilworth 2 a grade flags later and 4 finals series in a row says it can work with the right person in charge
wonder_kid
Under 18s

Has liked: 47 times

Postby wonder_kid » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:15 pm

having done a 6 year apprenticeship under him im glad to be involved in 4 grand final wins 2 a arade and 2 bgrade I was an assistant for 4 years before I coached the b grade . now im ready to coach A grade and im 31 I think ive done the right thing for my coaching career!
wonder_kid
Under 18s

Has liked: 47 times

Postby adr107 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:27 am

Well said. That club is full of players that started there way back when I did in under 8's. There's a reason they stuck around or came back after being in the Norwood system and many are now playing Div1 footy there....

I'll always have more respect for a club who sustainably builds their own future rather than buys a flag and that's what they've done over a long period of time. That would make life a lot easier for a young coach too...
adr107
Under 16s

Has liked: 305 times
Been liked: 83 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:59 am

Different sport but I captain coached an A Grade cricket side/club to a losing Grand Final at 19.

Age is no barrier if you can be upfront, honest and listen to all age groups. I captained a B Grade footy side at 21 when I was working arvo's and couldn't make most trainings, none of the older blokes had any qualms with it, they let me know on a Saturday night after a few frothies if I acted like a dickhead.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Executive Member » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:08 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:Different sport but I captain coached an A Grade cricket side/club to a losing Grand Final at 19.

Age is no barrier if you can be upfront, honest and listen to all age groups. I captained a B Grade footy side at 21 when I was working arvo's and couldn't make most trainings, none of the older blokes had any qualms with it, they let me know on a Saturday night after a few frothies if I acted like a dickhead.

I went one better, I won ours as Captain Coach at 19 ;)
Executive Member
Veteran

Been liked: 140 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:22 am

Executive Member wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:Different sport but I captain coached an A Grade cricket side/club to a losing Grand Final at 19.

Did they have 8 ball overs then? :lol: :lol:
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Executive Member » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:25 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Executive Member wrote:

Did they have 8 ball overs then? :lol: :lol:

8) Your older than me you freak (I think), don't get me confused with my silly much older brother
Executive Member
Veteran

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:56 am

Executive Member wrote:
8) Your older than me you freak (I think), don't get me confused with my silly much older brother

Nope, you've got 2 years on me pop. you're getting me confused with my older brother.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:00 am

You're all f**king old..

/discussion :lol:
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby Executive Member » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:01 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Executive Member wrote:

Nope, you've got 2 years on me pop. you're getting me confused with my older brother.

oh that's right, he was the quick bowler as opposed to your slow medium
Executive Member
Veteran

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:02 am

Zartan wrote:You're all f**king old..

/discussion :lol:

Better than being a young man in an old man's body you friggin invalid.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:02 am

Executive Member wrote:
oh that's right, he was the quick bowler as opposed to your slow medium

The 90's must've been too kind to you LOL
Lightning McQueen