Barossa & Light Cricket 2013/14.

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Barossa & Light Cricket 2013/14.

Postby cokadonkeytoo » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:57 am

daysofourlives wrote:
cokadonkeytoo wrote:The association needs to change the rules on qualifications for finals. Its an absolute joke that two young lads from our club were refused permits to play in our b grade finals because one had played 10 days of a grade and 9 days of b grade whilst the other had played 10 a grade and 8 b grade. Both were dropped on form at xmas time and have played b grade ever since. They have both played more b grade games than a grade. Plus we had the weather affected games which took days of cricket off them. So now we have two young lads that I think undeservedly miss out on playing in the finals. Not sure how many other clubs this has happened to but there needs to be a change in the rule or at least some leniency in giving permits for such cases

One will finish 10A and 8B, the other is currently 10A and 5B, think he played A Grade yesterday to make him 12A and 5B. Try and keep it to facts when supporting your position. (Note; when you look at the stats the cross over games appear twice and will distort the amount of games played)

Just answer this one question mate, did the association only bring in these qualification rules in the last couple weeks or have the clubs known these rules all year?

Not an issue for any other club.

Ok the lad you refer to as 12a and 5b played a grade because the permit was declined and we had an injury in the a grade so there was no point in him playing b grade. In fact he was called up at the eleventh hour on Friday night otherwise he wouldve played b grade.

The other lad by my calculations has played 6 games of a grade and 7 games of b grade (including the one crossover game) and one heat affected game. Does that mean the cross over game doesnt count towards games played?

Im sure other clubs have been affected but as I said I dont like seeing young kids missing out on playing finals.

I'll ask you though, did you vote on whether to decline the permit?
Get that corn outta my face!!
cokadonkeytoo
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 44 times
Grassroots Team: Para Hills

Postby daysofourlives » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:16 am

cokadonkeytoo wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:
cokadonkeytoo wrote:The association needs to change the rules on qualifications for finals. Its an absolute joke that two young lads from our club were refused permits to play in our b grade finals because one had played 10 days of a grade and 9 days of b grade whilst the other had played 10 a grade and 8 b grade. Both were dropped on form at xmas time and have played b grade ever since. They have both played more b grade games than a grade. Plus we had the weather affected games which took days of cricket off them. So now we have two young lads that I think undeservedly miss out on playing in the finals. Not sure how many other clubs this has happened to but there needs to be a change in the rule or at least some leniency in giving permits for such cases

One will finish 10A and 8B, the other is currently 10A and 5B, think he played A Grade yesterday to make him 12A and 5B. Try and keep it to facts when supporting your position. (Note; when you look at the stats the cross over games appear twice and will distort the amount of games played)

Just answer this one question mate, did the association only bring in these qualification rules in the last couple weeks or have the clubs known these rules all year?

Ok the lad you refer to as 12a and 5b played a grade because the permit was declined and we had an injury in the a grade so there was no point in him playing b grade. In fact he was called up at the eleventh hour on Friday night otherwise he wouldve played b grade.

The other lad by my calculations has played 6 games of a grade and 7 games of b grade (including the one crossover game) and one heat affected game. Does that mean the cross over game doesnt count towards games played?

Im sure other clubs have been affected but as I said I dont like seeing young kids missing out on playing finals.

Ok lets assume he played B grade and that made him 10A, 7B, your other one 10A, 8B, then where do we draw the line is it at 10A, 6B?
I think the rule as it stands as must have not played more days in a higher grade gives one weeks leniency anyway. Ie if they end equal they can play the lower grade.
Also its days played not games played. The crossover games count but they only count once, ie when you look at a players stats it will say he played A1 res and A2 in the same week.

If you are questioning my integrity and impartiality you are way off the mark and I find that quite offensive. If you recall when i was playing at Sandy Creek the same issue happened with Kenty and i told the club to not bother applying for a permit as it will be denied.
I wasnt aware a permit had been officially requested, so deduce from that what you will.
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby daysofourlives » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:28 am

There is the other option of having your A Grade play finals and thus avoid these qualification rules ;)

Here is a scenario for you on why it is days played and not games played.
Someone may play all the one day games in A Grade thats 7 games 7 days.
They then play all the 2 day games except one in B grade thats 6 games 12 days.
Now that would be wrong if he missed B grade finals because he played more games in a higher grade
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby Extractor » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:40 am

There's nothing wrong with the rule as it is.

The only reason this is really an issue this season is because of the fact we missed a heap of Saturdays after xmas where players may have qualified otherwise. I know selections were tough for us this last match because of certain players being on the border line of qualification and the A grade still being a (slim) chance of finals up until we lost to GV last week.

Bottom line is you get all your sides in the finals and then you can pick whoever you like.
Extractor
Under 16s

Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: Gawler Central

Postby bennymacca » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:43 am

its pretty rough that guys arent qualifying for finals just because of the weather.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby BoundaryRider84 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:53 am

daysofourlives wrote:
cokadonkeytoo wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:

Ok lets assume he played B grade and that made him 10A, 7B, your other one 10A, 8B, then where do we draw the line is it at 10A, 6B?
I think the rule as it stands as must have not played more days in a higher grade gives one weeks leniency anyway. Ie if they end equal they can play the lower grade.
Also its days played not games played. The crossover games count but they only count once, ie when you look at a players stats it will say he played A1 res and A2 in the same week.

If you are questioning my integrity and impartiality you are way off the mark and I find that quite offensive. If you recall when i was playing at Sandy Creek the same issue happened with Kenty and i told the club to not bother applying for a permit as it will be denied.
I wasnt aware a permit had been officially requested, so deduce from that what you will.

This really pains me to say, but I'm with Days on this one :-0
WE ARE GEELONG!
BoundaryRider84
League - Best 21

Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 223 times

Postby daysofourlives » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:42 pm

bennymacca wrote:its pretty rough that guys arent qualifying for finals just because of the weather.

They arnt qualifying because of the lack of commitment of some A Graders.
If these guys were averaging 2 and 3 respectively why were they left in the A grade for 10 weeks. The answer is they were most probably left there because of the unavailability of A Graders or late starters.
Dont blame the association and the rules, blame the commitment of the A grade players, it happens in every club every year.
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby Red Rocket » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:13 pm

Can definately see both sides of the argument but sometimes common sense should prevail.
If a guy has played 10A and 9B days even though he has played more B games than A games then I dont think too many people would have an issue with him playing in the lower grade at finals especially if he has played the last 7 or 8 games down.
As Days said though if Sandy A's were in the finals there wouldnt be an issue.
Judging by the scores yesterday they let a big chance slip, to have the bottom side 6/19 and let them make 170 odd must be disappointing, could of been well infront at stumps yesterday and have a whole day to knock them over but an outright is almost impossible from here
Red Rocket
Under 18s

Been liked: 72 times
Grassroots Team: Kapunda

Postby Slowey » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:12 am

Red Rocket wrote:Can definately see both sides of the argument but sometimes common sense should prevail.
If a guy has played 10A and 9B days even though he has played more B games than A games then I dont think too many people would have an issue with him playing in the lower grade at finals especially if he has played the last 7 or 8 games down.
Judging by the scores yesterday they let a big chance slip, to have the bottom side 6/19 and let them make 170 odd must be disappointing, could of been well infront at stumps yesterday and have a whole day to knock them over but an outright is almost impossible from here

That hurts, Good come back by south Gawler, Can they stay up?
Slowey

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Brahma Lodge

Postby daysofourlives » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:04 am

Slowey wrote:
Red Rocket wrote:Can definately see both sides of the argument but sometimes common sense should prevail.

I dont think they can stay up but i do think there will be an outright result in their game. Given that SC are 1/60 off 7 overs it will take 20 overs max to get the runs.
Then with some creative bowling from SC, Kokot to take the new rock, South will be able to set a target of say 200 off 25-30 overs for SC to chase. In these situations it always favours the team chasing and both teams have nothing to lose by losing outright so there should be an outright.
Im tipping SC to win outright only to be denied finals action by Kapunda defending 167 to upset Freeling and cling to fourth.
If South were able to pick up the 10 points for either a 1st innings win or outright win it would be enough to avoid relegation if LP lose defending 143 against GV
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby Slowey » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:46 am

daysofourlives wrote:
Slowey wrote:

I dont think they can stay up but i do think there will be an outright result in their game. Given that SC are 1/60 off 7 overs it will take 20 overs max to get the runs.
Then with some creative bowling from SC, Kokot to take the new rock, South will be able to set a target of say 200 off 25-30 overs for SC to chase. In these situations it always favours the team chasing and both teams have nothing to lose by losing outright so there should be an outright.
Im tipping SC to win outright only to be denied finals action by Kapunda defending 167 to upset Freeling and cling to fourth.
If South were able to pick up the 10 points for either a 1st innings win or outright win it would be enough to avoid relegation if LP lose defending 143 against GV

Ill take this as tongue in cheek, No chance of an outright Sandy Creek still need 110 and they won't bat again. Would need to score at 9-10 an over to set South a score.
I think you were on the money suggesting the final 4 were done and dusted. Can't say i am a fan of teams setting up outright chances just doesn't sit well with me.
What are your thought's on that Days?
Slowey

Postby bennymacca » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:30 am

As long as there is no collision between the teams (ie deliberately setting up a result to deny a third team) I don't see an issue with teams trying everything they can to make finals
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Slowey » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:39 am

As long as there is no collision between the teams (ie deliberately setting up a result to deny a third team) I don't see an issue with teams trying everything they can to make finals

I agree.
Just don't like teams setting up an outright, Like organising for both teams to have the same amount of overs in the 2nd innings. Not on!
Slowey

Postby Extractor » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:49 pm

bennymacca wrote:As long as there is no collision between the teams (ie deliberately setting up a result to deny a third team) I don't see an issue with teams trying everything they can to make finals

Collisions between teams can be very painful...
Extractor
Under 16s

Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: Gawler Central

Postby bennymacca » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:50 pm

Haha stupid phone keyboards. I didn't pick that one up :)
bennymacca
Coach

Postby daysofourlives » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:24 pm

Slowey wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:
Slowey wrote:

Ill take this as tongue in cheek, No chance of an outright Sandy Creek still need 110 and they won't bat again. Would need to score at 9-10 an over to set South a score.
I think you were on the money suggesting the final 4 were done and dusted. Can't say i am a fan of teams setting up outright chances just doesn't sit well with me.
What are your thought's on that Days?

Not really toungue in cheek mate, its what i would be doing if i was captain of SC. No collusion required, you only have to look at where Souith are to realise they need 10 points.
So if i'm SC i'm trying to get the runs as quickly as possible which they look like they are doing being 1/60 off 7 and declare immediately. lets say it takes 17 more overs to get them and then 3 for change of innings thats 20 gone.
55 overs left.
SC then bowl pies allowing South to score say 220-230 off 22 overs remembering Souith need to bowl SC out to avoid relegation. 3 over change over.
Leaves 30 overs to for SC to chase 220-230 leaving enough overs for South to bowl them out or SC to make the runs.
Remember also neither team has anything to lose by losing outright unless you count SC having to put up with South in the A1 comp for another year as something to lose. If SC slumped to say 8/100 off 20 its still in their interests to keep trying to get the runs.
There will be an outright result in this game or both captains are not doing their best for their club.
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby Red Rocket » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:26 pm

Looks like none of that matters now.
Have heard that South won and will stay up
Red Rocket
Under 18s

Been liked: 72 times
Grassroots Team: Kapunda

Postby daysofourlives » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:38 pm

Red Rocket wrote:Looks like none of that matters now.
Have heard that South won and will stay up

Yeah lol
Ango beat Central outright to snatch 2nd from GV
Kapunda also beat Freeling
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby The mongoose » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:17 am

Slowey wrote:With all the top teams having to play eachother in coming weeks i'm not so sure the top 4 or clear cut. You would think Freeling and Gilbert Valley will make it and 3rd and 4th could be anyone from Gawler Centrals, Kapunda and sandy Creek. Ill have a stab at the top 4 with Kapunda and Sandy Creek getting the nod ahead of Gawler Centrals. Sandy Look to have the best run home compared to Gawler Centrals and Kapunda.

What's peoples thoughts?

not great predictions mate... ;)
The mongoose

Been liked: 2 times

Postby magpieeagle » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:06 am

Reckon Days should work overtime today and come up with some final venues
magpieeagle
Reserves

Has liked: 108 times
Been liked: 69 times