SAAFL Division 3 2014

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Who will win the division 3 grand final?

Athelstone
8%
Kilburn
23%
Mitcham
10%
Modbury
12%
Old Ignatians
6%
Pembroke
3%
Plympton
12%
Salisbury
3%
Seaton
11%
Unley Mercedes Jets
12%

Total votes : 113

Re: SAAFL Division 3 2014

Postby jo172 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:28 pm

bickle wrote:Quit or sacked for not bringing players and sponsors that was promised?

coaches shoudlnt have to bring sponsorship to clubs.
really i dont beleive they should bring in 15-20 guy's either.
as we've seen, destroy's clubs.
probably should be a maximum list a club can have on their books, depending on how many senior teams.[/quote]

I'm philosophically opposed to any rule that is designed to save clubs from themselves.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby Pag » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:35 pm

Plympton will be good (picked up Porplycia, Albrechtson, Marston), Seaton have no outs bar Traianos from the looks, should be strong again. Athelstone have lost a couple (White, Baker, Barabas) but should still go well. Iggies losing White will hurt, and will help Unley massively, although losing Clarke will offset that. Modbury should start favourites though IMO, traditionally strong in Div 3 and picked up Shaw, Rankine etc.
Last edited by Pag on Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 498 times

Postby Footy Chick » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:41 pm

Pag wrote:Plymptn will be good (picked up Porplycia, Albrechtson, Marston), Seaton have no outs bar Traianos from the looks, should be strong again. Athelstone have lost a couple (White, Baker, Barabas) but should still go well. Iggies losing White will hurt, and will help Unley massively, although losing Clarke will offest that. Modbury should start favourites though IMO.

Barabas - the only guy I can think of in living history that has ever defected from the Raggies to go to the evil empire. That shit just doesn't happen :shock:

Can name a couple that have gone the other way though..
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Postby the milky bar kid » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:02 pm

Footy Chick wrote:
Pag wrote:Plymptn will be good (picked up Porplycia, Albrechtson, Marston), Seaton have no outs bar Traianos from the looks, should be strong again. Athelstone have lost a couple (White, Baker, Barabas) but should still go well. Iggies losing White will hurt, and will help Unley massively, although losing Clarke will offest that. Modbury should start favourites though IMO.

Barabas - the only guy I can think of in living history that has ever defected from the Raggies to go to the evil empire. That shit just doesn't happen :shock:

Can name a couple that have gone the other way though..

Generally Athelstone players aren't good enough to play for PNU, but the Market gardeners are usually happy to take on board discarded PNU players ;)
the milky bar kid
League - Best 21

Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 238 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby TEX07 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:02 pm

jo172 wrote:
Phantom Gossiper wrote:
jo172 wrote:Tough thing about trying to buy loyalty but forgetting to actually pay up.

You don't tend to get it.

Don't let the truth get in the way of a good yarn...

A Grade mass walkout. Of course that's what it is.

Have bought premiership sides (or died trying) the last 5 years and in that time have been at best ambivalent to not fielding a C Grade, a halfway competitive B Grade or juniors.

Chickens are well and truly coming home to roost

Kilburn has never fielded a competitive B grade side, always struggled to fill a C grade and have always paid their A grade side, this has seen them have success and big failures. I was there only 13 years ago when they won the div 1 flag and finished third the following year. Had great numbers the year after until Delaney left and hings went pear shaped from there. People in the club have worked so hard to attempt to get them back to where they want to be, I am very close to Dale and I guarantee is as president he is at that club for as long as he as at work to try and get things back on track. Maybe paying players isn't the answer but this is how they and many others made it to the top. Maybe it's caused the downfall or the guys coming through these days just don't show the loyalty that they used to. The thing about Kilburn is they are a proud club and hey will do whatever they have to to field two sides each Saturday. Last year guys of 40+ age put their hands up to play B grade and the same guys would do it again. I hope they get through and stat to get some numbers on the track.
hola acabo de hacer que el yo se resuelve lo que este los medios en español
TEX07
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 140 times
Been liked: 49 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby Jabber » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:40 am

Coaxing players with money and encouraging them to be disloyal to thier club and come to yours, then to expet them to be loyal at yours, shaking your head in desbelief as to why they are not has to be one of the definitions of lunacy.
Jabber
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: Plympton

Postby jo172 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:13 am

Jabber wrote:Coaxing players with money and encouraging them to be disloyal to thier club and come to yours, then to expet them to be loyal at yours, shaking your head in desbelief as to why they are not has to be one of the definitions of lunacy.

It's like shacking up with a woman who is cheating on her spouse.

Don't be shocked when she cheats on you.
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:03 am

Can't believe half the rubbish I read on here..

Most of you don't have any idea about the workings of the club or challenges, but you want to get on here and kick a club while it's down, and run around like you're the ethical police of high morality!

Kilburn is one of the few clubs that has openly admitted to paying its players in the past while every club acts like little innocent parties and pretends they dont. Suddenly Kilburn are in a tough situation and everyone puts the knives in and blames them "buying success".

Players move around different clubs each year for money, loyalty is out the window, it's the beast we have created in this day and age. Constantly people talk about the money that gets thrown around at country clubs for players, why don't you get on your high horse and whinge about that.

Kilburn is a proud club that is rich in history that has over the years brought plenty to amatuer football, been around a long time, created great rivalries and produced some LOYAL champions - people should be hoping they can sort their stuff out and continue on instead of putting the cheap boots in and making the situation more difficult than it is.
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby jo172 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:08 am

Phantom Gossiper wrote: Kilburn is one of the few clubs that has openly admitted to paying its players in the past while every club acts like little innocent parties and pretends they dont. Suddenly Kilburn are in a tough situation and everyone puts the knives in and blames them "buying success".

Uni and SHOC are the only club's left playing that game. Even SPOC are happy to admit that they pay players.

What distinguishes Kilburn is that essentially all their players are being paid. That is an aberration for a club that isn't Div 1.

Phantom Gossiper wrote: Kilburn is a proud club that is rich in history that has over the years brought plenty to amatuer football, been around a long time, created great rivalries and produced some LOYAL champions - people should be hoping they can sort their stuff out and continue on instead of putting the cheap boots in and making the situation more difficult than it is.

They also create a lot of hubris from themselves on the way up when times are good by poaching other club's players and generally carrying on like arrogant so and so's (see TBS on here). There is undoubtedly schadenfreude being enjoyed (indeed by myself), but it is considerably self inflicted.

It's for much the same reason few tears were shed over Ovingham. Both Club's have traditionally been perceived as being overly arrogant.
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:10 am

I know for a fact that Kilburn has worked EXTREMELY hard over the past few years trying to establish juniors. It's not easy though, a 100 kids don't just drop out of the sky, and it's more difficult to keep them especially when numbers are down.

Constant struggle in the area - low socio-economic area and high cultural diversity are two of the biggest challenges.

The issues facing the club extend beyond senior football, look at cricket - from A1 and going well a few years back to almost extinction and back to B2 - but they wont quit and give up.
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby Yank Man » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:11 am

Phantom Gossiper wrote:Can't believe half the rubbish I read on here..

Most of you don't have any idea about the workings of the club or challenges, but you want to get on here and kick a club while it's down, and run around like you're the ethical police of high morality!

Kilburn is one of the few clubs that has openly admitted to paying its players in the past while every club acts like little innocent parties and pretends they dont. Suddenly Kilburn are in a tough situation and everyone puts the knives in and blames them "buying success".

Players move around different clubs each year for money, loyalty is out the window, it's the beast we have created in this day and age. Constantly people talk about the money that gets thrown around at country clubs for players, why don't you get on your high horse and whinge about that.

Kilburn is a proud club that is rich in history that has over the years brought plenty to amatuer football, been around a long time, created great rivalries and produced some LOYAL champions - people should be hoping they can sort their stuff out and continue on instead of putting the cheap boots in and making the situation more difficult than it is.

Now that PG was one of your most intellectual posts, nice.
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 316 times
Grassroots Team: Edwardstown

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:17 am

jo172 wrote:They also create a lot of hubris from themselves on the way up when times are good by poaching other club's players and generally carrying on like arrogant so and so's (see TBS on here).

Whoa lets break this down..
Hubris means pride doesnt it? Your club hasn't got pride in itself?!
Poaching other clubs players when they are on the up? What your club doesn't try and improve its list as it moves up the grades?!
Finally "see TBS on here" - you are talking a f**king social footy forum as gospel!? You are judging an entire club and it's members based on a poster on a forum!?!

Are you even affiliated with a club or you just take satisfaction in taking snide pot shots?
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby jo172 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:23 am

Phantom Gossiper wrote:Hubris means pride doesnt it? Your club hasn't got pride in itself?!

It means unjustified pride and/or self confidence arising out of an overestimation of ability and a loss of contact with reality.

One can have pride without having hubris.

Phantom Gossiper wrote:Poaching other clubs players when they are on the up? What your club doesn't try and improve its list as it moves up the grades?!

My club does not rely solely on poached players and as a result is significantly more stable. Most clubs do not rely entirely on poached players for success and therefore their natural troughs are not as detrimental as they appear to be in Kilburn's case.

Phantom Gossiper wrote:Finally "see TBS on here" - you are talking a f**king social footy forum as gospel!? You are judging an entire club and it's members based on a poster on a forum!?!

No, the phrase "see TBS on here" was giving an example. I can give another example as the Mound Men. I don't wish to tarnish all from Kilburn with the same brush. Dale Aigus is a fantastically good bloke. My dealings with yourself (albeit only in your capacities at other clubs) have always been pleasant.

Phantom Gossiper wrote:Are you even affiliated with a club or you just take satisfaction in taking snide pot shots?

I am, but resorting to ad hominem doesn't really change the matter at hand.
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:28 am

jo172 wrote:My club does not rely solely on poached players and as a result is significantly more stable. Most clubs do not rely entirely on poached players for success and therefore their natural troughs are not as detrimental as they appear to be in Kilburn's case.

You call it poaching, I call it recruiting. Kilburn has recruited in the past based on a need to ensure a level of competitiveness in the grade it is in - whether going up a level or to stop a continual slide.

As has been previously pointed out, Kilburn has always struggled for juniors and the depth in senior ranks has been very poor, so unfortuantely they do need to rely solely on recruiting players, a vicious circle it has created but one that I believe the current board is working hard to change.
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:33 am

You know what is proving very difficult though - constantly ringing people including friends to try and get them to Kilburn and being met with one of the following:
"Thought the club folded?"
"Phillips has walked"
"I heard you quit"
"They only have a C grade side"
"Heard you only have 6 on the track"

So what i'm getting at is the talk on this forum and around circles with incorrect information is hurting the club just as much as anything..

So can we now perhaps talk about footy and the other clubs and how the season is shaping up? PLEASE!?
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby Footy Chick » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:35 am

jo172 wrote:It's for much the same reason few tears were shed over Ovingham. Both Club's have traditionally been perceived as being overly arrogant.

Serious? Not sure what a club that's pretty much languished in C divisions for the latter part of it's life, has to be arrogant about.

Kilburn spend lots of money on plenty of quality but lesser known players.

I'm sure a certain school that I happen to be an alumni of probably spends it's fair share, albeit on a far lesser number of players - but all with SANFL/AFL experience

Never use TBS as an example for anything, he is the exception to every rule possible ;)

PG, everyone is going to put their 2c worth in, just like they did with the Lodge - it's their opinion and it's not your place to tell them their opinion is rubbish, fight with facts.

Even you saw this coming from a mile away and should've been prepared.

The stark reality is, is that there's a fair chance this competition as a whole could be about 4 clubs lighter by years end. Lets not kick folk while they're down eh?

PS: I'm fairly sure it's called recruiting too - no one held a gun to their head to go

Poach: To take or appropriate unfairly or illegally. Is offering someone money to move clubs when they are not under contract really unfair? I think that's personal opinion.
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:40 am

Footy Chick wrote:I'm sure a certain school that I happen to be an alumni of probably spends it's fair share, albeit on a far lesser number of players - but all with SANFL/AFL experience
You went to Prince Alfred?! :shock: :lol:
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby Robb_Stark » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:43 am

Phantom Gossiper wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:I'm sure a certain school that I happen to be an alumni of probably spends it's fair share, albeit on a far lesser number of players - but all with SANFL/AFL experience
You went to Prince Alfred?! :shock: :lol:

i thought footy chick was a OLSH girl
Robb_Stark
League - Best 21

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 155 times

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:43 am

Footy Chick wrote:PG, everyone is going to put their 2c worth in, just like they did with the Lodge - it's their opinion and it's not your place to tell them their opinion is rubbish, fight with facts.

Sorry i'm a little on edge this morning haha!

Fact 1: Kilburn has NOT closed its doors
Fact 2: Greg Phillips has NOT resigned (yet lol)
Fact 3: Numbers are down on the track, although have been on the gradual rise in recent weeks
Fact 4: I have not quit
Fact 5: The club will still work hard for 2 sides
Fact 6: Fact 5 may be difficult, we will know more next week.
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby Pag » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:49 am

PG, I don't think anyone wants to see clubs fold, I enjoy playing against and at Kilburn, great set-up and usually a really good atmosphere with the Mound Men on the outer side and the members in front of the club.

Hopefully the club learns that paying blokes to come and play for you isn't always going to work forever, and that you are able to find a more sustainable model in the future, even if it means the club may not be able to compete in Division 1/2.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 498 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League