Eagles 2014

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Eagles 2014

Postby Wedgie » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:45 pm

Got knocked out of the 2013 premiership race in the 1st Semi Final by North. Tend to always be up there and have done some quality recruiting. Personally I think they could be knocking on the door of the Grand Final, Wundke will be very hard to stop and should kick a heap. Your thoughts?

INS: Michael Wundke (Eagles), James Boyd (Central), Jacob Templeton (Central), Josh Growden (GWS / Returning)

OUTS: Aaron Day (Retired), Brad Kirk (Retired), Nick Salter (Retired), Lee Staple, Luke Dusntan (St Kilda), Malcolm Karpany (West Coast), Cameron Giles (Carlton), Riley Knight (Crows), Josh Growden (American Football)

2014 Trial games:
Saturday March 22 v Adelaide (Max Basheer Reservel) 10am
Friday March 28 v Norwood (Norwood) 7.40pm

2014 League Fixtures:
Saturday April 5 v Central @ Woodville
Friday April 11 v West @ Richmond
Monday April 21 v Port @ Woodville
Sunday April 27 v Sturt @ Unley
Sunday May 4 v South @ Noarlunga
Saturday May 10 v Glenelg @ Woodville
Sunday May 17 v North @ Woodville
Friday May 23 v Norwood @ Norwood
Saturday June 7 v Adelaide @ Woodville
Sunday June 15 v Port @ Alberton
Sunday June 22 v Sturt @ Woodville
Sunday July 6 v Glenelg @ Glenelg
Saturday July 12 v Norwood @ Woodville
Saturday July 19 v Central @ Elizabeth
Sunday Aug 3 v Adelaide @ Woodville
Saturday Aug 9 v South @ Woodville
TBC v North @ Prospect
TBC v West @ Woodville
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Re: Eagles 2014

Postby SANFLnut » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:26 pm

Day and Staple were bit part players and replaceable. Dunstan was playing some good footy by the end of year. Salter never really got going. Their biggest losses will be their AFL players as they had plenty of games racked up by a host of players, pretty sure they were the second most reliant on AFL players after Sturt (L.Thompson, Heath, Ellis-Yolmen, Joyce most of year plus Mitchell, Petrenko, Redden, Vince at times).

Wundke and Boyd are very good additions.
Worst case they don't quite bat deep enough to cover their AFL losses, best case they are one of the few finals teams from last year that gets better.
SANFLnut
Reserves

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 65 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby DOC » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:34 pm

Is Growden an in or an out or is he going in and out?
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby Mr Fuller » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:38 pm

Personally I think we will slide a couple of spots.

Certainly our forward line will be our weapon with Ainger, Wundke and (hopefully) a fit Grocke. Wundke will be a good addition but if the choice was between Wundke and Salter (who has departed) I'd take Salter given he has more versatility.

Boyd is definitely a quality in. But I still think we are one quality midfielder away from being a premiership contender. Our midfield depth (at least on paper) is very shallow and if we get a couple of injuries I think we will be exposed in this area. Much will depend on whether players like Martyn and Batley can step up and consistently play good games like they did towards the end of last season. In the last few seasons we have also had 1-2 juniors step up and really contribute (i.e. Dunston, Toumpas, Polec) which certainly helps. Not sure whether the eagles have anyone hidden away who can replicate this.

The other obvious weakness is in our ruck division. Bornholm gave Parry great support last year but is now being asked to be that #1 ruckman. Not quite sure he is at that level just yet so will need to rapidly improve. I don't see anyone at the club who can offer him support so could well be one of the most important players.
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby Aerie » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:49 pm

SANFLnut wrote:Day and Staple were bit part players and replaceable. Dunstan was playing some good footy by the end of year. Salter never really got going. Their biggest losses will be their AFL players as they had plenty of games racked up by a host of players, pretty sure they were the second most reliant on AFL players after Sturt (L.Thompson, Heath, Ellis-Yolmen, Joyce most of year plus Mitchell, Petrenko, Redden, Vince at times).

Worst case they don't quite bat deep enough to cover their AFL losses, best case they are one of the few finals teams from last year that gets better.

Fair assessment re output of Day, Staple and Salter last year. Dunstan stepped in for a couple of games when Rowntree got injured, then was injured himself. We missed that extra quality midfielder in the finals. Also losing Parry will leave a big hole.

Our defence was covered by Ellis-Yolmen and Luke Thompson on many occasions.

Plenty of unknowns, but IF Appleton, Batley, Von Bertouch, Borholm and Heinjus can step up to be quality league players that will help cover midfield and defence. If Rowntree can get back towards the end of the season he could be crucial come finals should the Eagles make it. Will Sumner be able to play a quality season and not drop off? Will we get some decent game time from Grocke? Can probably expect much of the same from Powell, Jarrad, Lewis, Guiffreda, Goldsworthy, Raymond. How much impact will Boyd and Wundke have and will Templeton be able to fill a key back role?

Way too many questions still to be answered to be confident the Eagles will be setting the pace. If everything clicks I can see them making a GF, but can just as easily see them dropping down to 7th or 8th.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 503 times

Postby Wedgie » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:57 pm

DOC wrote:Is Growden an in or an out or is he going in and out?

He came in then went out. True story!
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Big Phil » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:06 pm

Wedgie wrote:
DOC wrote:Is Growden an in or an out or is he going in and out?

He came in then went out. True story!

http://www.sanfl.com.au/news/sanfl_news/2361/
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 271 times

Postby ferret » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:38 am

Grocke has currently played two internal trials and looks like getting up for the first match.
Von Bertouch has been flying in trials and has great football instincts.
Improvements from Batley, Martyn, Poole and Appleton will significantly improve the onball running division.
Sumner lost confidence in his game when Heath took over the floating backman roll and was then unsure of his role, this should be now rectified.
Lachy MacGregor has been training well and looks fit, he could be a surprise pocket rocket.
Culley is still over coming last seasons injury where he ripped the hamstring off the bone don't know how far off he is.
Hope some players from the last two U18 premierships can step up and put pressure on the first 21.

Main areas of weakness are in ruck and lack of height in the back lines.
Unsure where our likely finish will be.
ferret
Reserves

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 136 times

Postby MightyEagles » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:16 pm

I believe that Salter didn't retire, he just went to play in the ACT.
WOOOOO, Premiers 1993, 2006 and 2011!
Eagles - P 528 W 320 L 205 D 3 W% 60.89
WFC - P 575 W 160 L 411 D 4 W% 28.17
WTFC - P 1568 W 702 L 841 D 25 W% 45.56
Total - P 2671 W 1183 L 1457 D 32 W% 44.88
3 Flags - 1 Club
MightyEagles
Coach

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 12 times
Grassroots Team: United Eagles

Postby Mickyj » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:44 pm

SANFLnut wrote:Day and Staple were bit part players and replaceable. Dunstan was playing some good footy by the end of year. Salter never really got going. Their biggest losses will be their AFL players as they had plenty of games racked up by a host of players, pretty sure they were the second most reliant on AFL players after Sturt (L.Thompson, Heath, Ellis-Yolmen, Joyce most of year plus Mitchell, Petrenko, Redden, Vince at times).

I would just challenge the afl names mentioned above !!
L Thompson Ellis-Yolman played the most games Ellis- yolman played a lot in the seconds (where he did less damage IMHO)
Heath would be next on the playing list Salter played later games . Then the others would have made slight appearances !!
Hell Mitchell had to ask directions to oval ave from alberton !!
If anyone had the games played to back me up or prove me wrong and I would say if I was wrong no worries !!

Personally the AFL players leaving will allow others to step up and stake a claim to a league spot !!
Land based Lure Bream Fisherman
PB
Hardbody Bream 38cm
Hardbody Mulloway 40cm
Softplastic Bream 38cm
Fly Bream 30cm
Mickyj
Coach

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 22 times

Postby holden78 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:58 pm

The Eagles will only miss Parry and to a lesser degree Thommo as he was injured part of the year. As for ruck we have had the best rucks for years ie Parry, Lindsay and Doba and only won 2 premierships so the rucks only have to compeat
holden78
League - Best 21

Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 55 times

Postby blueandwhite » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:08 pm

Wundke training the house down...? 8)
Tiocfaidh ár Lá
blueandwhite
League - Best 21

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 218 times
Grassroots Team: Jamestown-Peterborough

Postby southee » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:05 pm

blueandwhite wrote:Wundke training the house down...? 8)

I'm sure he is B&W ;)

.....but does he even need to train ????
Is out of change.....thanks Cambridge Clarrie!!!
southee
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 858 times
Been liked: 122 times

Postby Hazbeen » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:43 pm

How is Balaklava lad Sam Rowland going in the 2's? Any chance of a league game this year?
Hazbeen
Veteran

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 122 times
Grassroots Team: Hummocks-Watchman

Postby ferret » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:55 am

Sam Rowland is coming along nicely. Last two reserves games have been excellent.
Great at clearances and hard at it.
Just needs to tidy up some of his skills.
At this stage of his career looks a good possibility to get a league game.
ferret
Reserves

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 136 times

Board index   Football  SANFL