SAAFL division 5 2014

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Who will win the division 5 grand final?

Adelaide Lutheran
8%
CBCOC
7%
Colonel Light Gardens
10%
Elizabeth
22%
Brahma Lodge
5%
Para Hills
7%
Trinity OS
3%
Greenacres
7%
North Haven
21%
Westminster OS
10%

Total votes : 107

Re: SAAFL division 5 2014

Postby Mr Beefy » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:38 pm

HH3 wrote:
Q. wrote:
Boosh wrote:Twice sides have been dropped into our (North Haven) division and twice they have made a GF and we have finished third but i think this time it will be different by the sounds of things.

Well for starters I don't fancy our chances of finishing top 3 but i would hate to finish 9th and them 8th

Being relegated is a moot point. By all reports Glenunga were building a very good side that would have likely finished above ninth anyway. D5 just eliminated a serious contender.

Do you think people at Glenunga might be a bit peeved that they were gearing up for a run at the premiership, and now they're gonna be fighting to make finals in Div 4.

No, they would have declined the offer
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby Look Good In Leather » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:22 pm

Mr Beefy wrote:
HH3 wrote:
Q. wrote:
Boosh wrote:Twice sides have been dropped into our (North Haven) division and twice they have made a GF and we have finished third but i think this time it will be different by the sounds of things.

Well for starters I don't fancy our chances of finishing top 3 but i would hate to finish 9th and them 8th

Being relegated is a moot point. By all reports Glenunga were building a very good side that would have likely finished above ninth anyway. D5 just eliminated a serious contender.

Do you think people at Glenunga might be a bit peeved that they were gearing up for a run at the premiership, and now they're gonna be fighting to make finals in Div 4.

No, they would have declined the offer

No, they have at a minimum guaranteed themselves a spot in Div 5 in 2015, or at best a spot in Div 3
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby ramming23 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:30 pm

Being relegated is a moot point. By all reports Glenunga were building a very good side that would have likely finished above ninth anyway. D5 just eliminated a serious contender.[/quote]

Do you think people at Glenunga might be a bit peeved that they were gearing up for a run at the premiership, and now they're gonna be fighting to make finals in Div 4.[/quote]
No, they would have declined the offer[/quote]

No, they have at a minimum guaranteed themselves a spot in Div 5 in 2015, or at best a spot in Div 3[/quote]

As a player I am very happy with the promotion. Club continues to move forward and we get the opportunity to play in a higher division. Some of us are very loyal to our club and would love to play in the higher divisions and now we get to take that opportunity! Premierships will come. Last time we were given the option to be promoted, we went to Div 6 and played in the GF
ramming23
Rookie

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 26 times
Grassroots Team: Glenunga

Postby The Dark Knight » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:08 pm

ramming23 wrote:As a player I am very happy with the promotion. Club continues to move forward and we get the opportunity to play in a higher division. Some of us are very loyal to our club and would love to play in the higher divisions and now we get to take that opportunity! Premierships will come. Last time we were given the option to be promoted, we went to Div 6 and played in the GF

Well said R23, good on Glenunga for taking to opportunity to gain promotion I say, your club has certainly been in the right place at the right time over the past few years now to gain promotion after other clubs have fallen of the perch.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10298 times
Been liked: 1516 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Boosh » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:55 am

Q. wrote:

????

What has my comment got to do with Glenunga, in fact Glenunga is the side that this has the least to do with as they are no longer in the division.
I have a problem. It's to do with the little man, the squashed-in French man, the naked little squashed up hairy boy! You know! With the hand feet
*I apologise to Hope Valley people in advance, no offence intended
Boosh
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 256 times
Been liked: 192 times

Postby Q. » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:47 am

Boosh wrote:
Q. wrote:Being relegated is a moot point. By all reports Glenunga were building a very good side that would have likely finished above ninth anyway. D5 just eliminated a serious contender.

????

What has my comment got to do with Glenunga, in fact Glenunga is the side that this has the least to do with as they are no longer in the division.

Because glenunga would have been in the division if BL weren't.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby superboot7 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:17 pm

I'm with Boosh....happened to me at Havens and boosh too. Robbed of a GF due to the salisbury west debarcle. They got dropped back and were a very good(div3 easy) at that time side..... leaving Havens in 3rd.

I think this situation is really tricky because if you drop a side back it often messes with the promotion/relegation principle....especially this late. Welldone for glenunga taking the opportunity but all the other div 5 sides...well I guess time will tell. I think teams that forfeit their div should start in lowest grade...but thats unfair too....why cant they just stay put in div 4?? thatis an actual query too...would like to know the politics.

on a good note for glenunga...Havens hd an opportunity to stay up a few years back and took it and played finals, but if they had ofdropped back...possibly a flag.........always a gamble....good luck rams
superboot7
Under 16s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 16 times

Postby lovetotalkfooty » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:24 pm

Since everybody knows best, how would anybody have run the club differently from 2009.

2009 - Relegated to div 7 with 2 junior teams. No junior committee.

2014 - Most senior players moved on, In division 5, 5 Junior team and a junior committee. All because the a grade has been successful

I would say the club has grown and are on track to have an under 18's side within 5 years.

What should the club have done differently?????
Check out the Brahma Lodge Football Club website at www.blfc.com.au
lovetotalkfooty
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 37 times
Grassroots Team: Brahma Lodge

Postby Fricky » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:25 pm

superboot7 wrote:I'm with Boosh....happened to me at Havens and boosh too. Robbed of a GF due to the salisbury west debarcle. They got dropped back and were a very good(div3 easy) at that time side..... leaving Havens in 3rd.

I think this situation is really tricky because if you drop a side back it often messes with the promotion/relegation principle....especially this late. Welldone for glenunga taking the opportunity but all the other div 5 sides...well I guess time will tell. I think teams that forfeit their div should start in lowest grade...but thats unfair too....why cant they just stay put in div 4?? thatis an actual query too...would like to know the politics.

on a good note for glenunga...Havens hd an opportunity to stay up a few years back and took it and played finals, but if they had ofdropped back...possibly a flag.........always a gamble....good luck rams

That "salisbury west debacle" was a bit different from a club asking to stay down.

It would be interesting to see what the league looks when deciding to approve a request from a club to stay down.
Fricky
League - Best 21

Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 120 times
Grassroots Team: Walkerville

Postby woodublieve12 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:26 pm

lovetotalkfooty wrote:Since everybody knows best, how would anybody have run the club differently from 2009.

2014 - Most senior players moved on, In division 5, 5 Junior team and a junior committee. All because the a grade has been successful
I would say the club has grown and are on track to have an under 18's side within 5 years.

stayed in D3...
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby HH3 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:28 pm

lovetotalkfooty wrote:Since everybody knows best, how would anybody have run the club differently from 2009.

Considering they should be in Div 3, not 5, they should have done a lot of things differently. 20 out of 21 players moving on in one offseason is a massive problem. There had to be things that led to that happening that could've been avoided.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2432 times

Postby lovetotalkfooty » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:33 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:

stayed in D3...

That's the right thing to do. Stay in div 3 get belted each week, lose all the under 12/14's as they have nothing to aspire to. Better to be competitive in div 5 and 6 and have juniors want to play than get belted for the next 3 years and lose everything they have worked hard to create
lovetotalkfooty
League Bench Warmer

Postby lovetotalkfooty » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:36 pm

HH3 wrote:

Considering they should be in Div 3, not 5, they should have done a lot of things differently. 20 out of 21 players moving on in one offseason is a massive problem. There had to be things that led to that happening that could've been avoided.

The club has learnt massive lessons from last year. The senior committee have taken ownership for not getting players signed before the season ended. Also with payne leaving they should have had a replacement coach lined up. These are massive learning points and ones that wont be repeated again. The club is financially sound and have achieved great things off the field. They just got a little slack with a few things and have found the rug pulled out from under them.

I honestly think the club is stronger today than it was in 2009. The club did the right thing by its junior program and also to ensure its long term survival.
lovetotalkfooty
League Bench Warmer

Postby woodublieve12 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:49 pm

lovetotalkfooty wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:

stayed in D3...

That's the right thing to do. Stay in div 3 get belted each week, lose all the under 12/14's as they have nothing to aspire to. Better to be competitive in div 5 and 6 and have juniors want to play than get belted for the next 3 years and lose everything they have worked hard to create

thank you for agreeing with me :)
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby Pine Warmer » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:54 pm

Even tho the lodge have dropped 2 divs I believe with the amount of players that have left and what I have heard not much recruiting going on brahma will struggle in this division as well.
Pine Warmer

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Western Districts

Postby HH3 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:59 pm

lovetotalkfooty wrote:The club has learnt massive lessons from last year. The senior committee have taken ownership for not getting players signed before the season ended. Also with payne leaving they should have had a replacement coach lined up. These are massive learning points and ones that wont be repeated again. The club is financially sound and have achieved great things off the field. They just got a little slack with a few things and have found the rug pulled out from under them.

I honestly think the club is stronger today than it was in 2009. The club did the right thing by its junior program and also to ensure its long term survival.

So you answered your own question. The club should have done a lot differently. They should also have to stay in the division they have been promoted to, and tough it out.

If every team that knew they weren't gonna be competitive before Round 1 asked the league to drop them 2 divisions, we'd need a 15 div comp, and the top 5 would be 6 team comps. But then the 6th best team in those comps might think, "****, we probably wont do well this year, can we go down a couple of divisions?"

Should cop their whack for not running the club well enough. Instead they're put into a division to compete with teams that have been improving year after year the right way, to finally get to a point where they could be competing against teams that should be in Div 3.

Quick question. How do the Brahma insiders feel they'll do this year in Div 5? Bottom 2, mid-range with possible finals, or should make finals?
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2432 times

Postby Groover » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:57 pm

HH3 wrote:
lovetotalkfooty wrote:The club has learnt massive lessons from last year. The senior committee have taken ownership for not getting players signed before the season ended. Also with payne leaving they should have had a replacement coach lined up. These are massive learning points and ones that wont be repeated again. The club is financially sound and have achieved great things off the field. They just got a little slack with a few things and have found the rug pulled out from under them.

So you answered your own question. The club should have done a lot differently. They should also have to stay in the division they have been promoted to, and tough it out.

If every team that knew they weren't gonna be competitive before Round 1 asked the league to drop them 2 divisions, we'd need a 15 div comp, and the top 5 would be 6 team comps. But then the 6th best team in those comps might think, "****, we probably wont do well this year, can we go down a couple of divisions?"

Should cop their whack for not running the club well enough. Instead they're put into a division to compete with teams that have been improving year after year the right way, to finally get to a point where they could be competing against teams that should be in Div 3.

Quick question. How do the Brahma insiders feel they'll do this year in Div 5? Bottom 2, mid-range with possible finals, or should make finals?

Without being negative, id say we will be fighting to stay out of relegation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hogg Shield Premier League Winner 2012
Groover
League - Top 5

Has liked: 222 times
Been liked: 385 times

Postby S Demon » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:12 pm

At the very least they should have taken their option to stay in Div 4 as the rules allow and copped whatever happened next.

Now they get to go down 2 divisions and potentially do it all over again...
S Demon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 370 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Robb_Stark » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:28 pm

at the end of the season the committee should have looked into pushing a junior programme for 2010 i would say your committee is or was the problem anyone can pay players and try and buy flags but what happens when the money drys up.......Brahma Lodge has been around for a long time and the fact they have let juniors slip away several other times in the past is the main problem....no juniors means you will always have to pay players to come to the club...you cant buy loyality its something you learn as a junior playing for your club and that drives you to play seniors for them also
Robb_Stark
League - Best 21

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 155 times

Postby Dols » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:34 pm

How many sponsors have The Lodge lost as a result of this debacle? As a sponsor surely there is more value for your buck with a side in div 3?
Dols
Reserves

Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 51 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League