Southern Football League

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: Southern Football League

Postby Oldman Munga » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:32 pm

cracka wrote:
vics01 wrote:
vics01 wrote:
I hear on the grapevine that the SFL are considering Noarlungas request for 21 player points for this season due to the number of players leaving ??

Shoe Boy
Not correct Vics!
Noarlunga has asked the league to review the points for 2014 as has a number of clubs but no numbers discussed.

Smoke and mirrors Shoe Boy.. I believe the clubs will be told on Wednesday that Noarlunga have 21 points for season 2014.. If this is the case the people who made this decision SHOULD hang their heads in SHAME.

The APPS were not designed to give a club finals appearances on a platter. I have had a crack at MParks in the last couple of years and although not agreeing with everything they got. At least it was for somewhat the right reason NO JUNIORS. Noarlunga are not in this position.

So the Shoes lose a few players this season well suck it up you are not the only club to lose players....Having had strong reserves and juniors you should be ok after blooding a few for a couple of years.

Lets hope on Tuesday night at the SFL board meeting common sense prevails and this decision is reversed for the sake of the integrity of the league.

Come on General show some leadership..

What was the result of Noarlunga getting extra points?

23 points allocated to Noarlunga for 2014 , before the howls of protest begin , we will not even go close to using them at this stage
Oldman Munga
Rookie

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Pommy Git » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:31 pm

Oldman Munga wrote:
cracka wrote:
vics01 wrote:
vics01 wrote:
I hear on the grapevine that the SFL are considering Noarlungas request for 21 player points for this season due to the number of players leaving ??

Shoe Boy
Not correct Vics!
Noarlunga has asked the league to review the points for 2014 as has a number of clubs but no numbers discussed.

Smoke and mirrors Shoe Boy.. I believe the clubs will be told on Wednesday that Noarlunga have 21 points for season 2014.. If this is the case the people who made this decision SHOULD hang their heads in SHAME.

The APPS were not designed to give a club finals appearances on a platter. I have had a crack at MParks in the last couple of years and although not agreeing with everything they got. At least it was for somewhat the right reason NO JUNIORS. Noarlunga are not in this position.

So the Shoes lose a few players this season well suck it up you are not the only club to lose players....Having had strong reserves and juniors you should be ok after blooding a few for a couple of years.

Lets hope on Tuesday night at the SFL board meeting common sense prevails and this decision is reversed for the sake of the integrity of the league.

23 points allocated to Noarlunga for 2014 , before the howls of protest begin , we will not even go close to using them at this stage

FFS
Pommy Git

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 0 time

Postby woodublieve12 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:35 pm

Oldman Munga wrote:
cracka wrote:
vics01 wrote:
vics01 wrote:

Shoe Boy
Not correct Vics!

then why do you need them then???
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby words of wisdom » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:03 pm

Nothing against the Shoes but why have a point system if your going to do this? Sure Noarlunga have had a heap leave but they've made finals more times than not over the last 10 or so years. I wonder what clubs like Dingy, lonsdale, Christies etc think about this.
words of wisdom
League - Best 21

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 19 times
Grassroots Team: Mt Burr

Postby Oldman Munga » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:42 pm

words of wisdom wrote:Nothing against the Shoes but why have a point system if your going to do this? Sure Noarlunga have had a heap leave but they've made finals more times than not over the last 10 or so years. I wonder what clubs like Dingy, lonsdale, Christies etc think about this.

We asked the SFL to review our allocation in light of the large amount of departures , at best was hoping for 3 maybe 4 Extra
SFL allocated the amount we at no stage asked for that amount , dont ask me how they got to that amount
Oldman Munga
Rookie

Postby Boof » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:52 am

Why have so many players left Noarlunga ?
Boof
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 6 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby tigerpie » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:50 pm

Well after 2010 Reynella lost at least 8 top players and they didnt ask, nor should they, for extra points. Just sucked it up, played kids, and still made finals.
Sorry shoes this is B.S. and shouldnt happen! Makes the SFL board look pretty silly.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby WHEELS&DEALS » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:11 pm

Just for the record. When we applied for extra point we had to come to the league with a reason why and a plan on going forward. When we applied we had one year of 14's sunday team. We got 21pts given to us which went down 3 point every year until we had the same as everyone else. The main reason points where given to us because of not having juniors coming through to seniors. over the last 3-4 years we have managed to get 14's, 16's & 18's together. Even though we still only have small numbers for those grades we are slowly getting some of our juniors playing senior football.
Would be interesting to hear what Noarlunga's plan was to the league since they have had plenty of juniors coming through each year.
My opinion is the current points system is a joke and needs a major review for all clubs, wether they be top, middle or bottom.
WHEELS&DEALS
Under 16s

Been liked: 18 times
Grassroots Team: Morphettville Park

Postby happilyretired » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:46 am

Trial game results from the weekend?
happilyretired
Rookie

Been liked: 2 times

Postby Leo » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:53 am

If a club is continually struggling, year after year, then by all means investigate a way of helping that club become competitive in some form. Its unfortunate that this happens to some clubs, but its reality. Reality is, Noarlunga were about 5 minutes of footy away from playing in a Prelim last year. They were beaten by a team that used next to zero points. The league is ASSUMING that Noarlunga will fall down the ladder. Until we've seen the REALITY, then assumptions are crap. Other clubs lose players, Reynella lost plenty, won a flag 2 years later. Brighton lost plenty, still very competitive last year. Emus continually lose players every year, but get up off the canvas. It only takes a bottom club to lose 1 quality player to make a huge difference, but im sure that goes unnoticed. This is probably the weakest decision I have ever heard of by an organisation. They should do their time at the bottom like other clubs that battle year after year. But that's only if they fall down the ladder. Noarlunga might not, and probably wont use the extra points, but this decision reeks of putting the interests of some clubs before that of others. End of rant.
Leo
Rookie

Been liked: 8 times

Postby Keyser Soze » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:29 am

tigerpie wrote:Well after 2010 Reynella lost at least 8 top players and they didnt ask, nor should they, for extra points. Just sucked it up, played kids, and still made finals.
Sorry shoes this is B.S. and shouldnt happen! Makes the SFL board look pretty silly.

Really could the SFL board look any sillier than they are already?

This happens most years to one team or another......Brighton last year, Reynella in 2012, even Marion in 2011. There were no hand outs of extra points so they can get some high priced recruits. Shoes last year won 10 games in the A-grade, 12 in the B-grade (3rd after minor round), 7 in the under 18's.

I'm sure clubs like Port Noarlunga, Hackham, Christies Beach and Marion who finished behind Noarlunga and didn't have there B-Grade play finals would like a few extra points to try and sign some extra players?
Keyser Soze
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 10 times

Postby MatteeG » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:37 am

Agree with everyone's thoughts here. Disgraceful decision. Lonny and Dingy much more worthy of additional points.
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby lion heart » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:37 pm

Keyser Soze wrote:
tigerpie wrote:Well after 2010 Reynella lost at least 8 top players and they didnt ask, nor should they, for extra points. Just sucked it up, played kids, and still made finals.

Really could the SFL board look any sillier than they are already?

This happens most years to one team or another......Brighton last year, Reynella in 2012, even Marion in 2011. There were no hand outs of extra points so they can get some high priced recruits. Shoes last year won 10 games in the A-grade, 12 in the B-grade (3rd after minor round), 7 in the under 18's.

I'm sure clubs like Port Noarlunga, Hackham, Christies Beach and Marion who finished behind Noarlunga and didn't have there B-Grade play finals would like a few extra points to try and sign some extra players?

Didn't think it was possible, but obviously i was wrong. Absolutely baffling decision that i can't even be bothered wasting my time arguing, as it will get me no-where.

I believe Noarlunga, Edwardstown, Christies and Marion have all applied for extra points this season. Not sure if all have been granted. Surely the only grounds for extra points would be for years spent at the bottom of the ladder. Just look at the GSFL they spread the player points out (approx 8 points for top, 15 for bottom) and that league is super competitive every year. I am sure this would help even things out to some extent.
Last edited by lion heart on Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
O’Sullivan Beach F.C Est. 1975
Lonsdale F.C Est. 1977
O’Sullivan Beach/Lonsdale F.C Est. 2001
Premierships
A-Grade ~ 5
Reserves ~ 5
Juniors ~ 17
lion heart
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 62 times
Grassroots Team: OSB Lonsdale

Postby lion heart » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:40 pm

Leo wrote: Reality is, Noarlunga were about 5 minutes of footy away from playing in a Prelim last year. They were beaten by a team that used next to zero points. The league is ASSUMING that Noarlunga will fall down the ladder. Until we've seen the REALITY, then assumptions are crap. Other clubs lose players, Reynella lost plenty, won a flag 2 years later. Brighton lost plenty, still very competitive last year. Emus continually lose players every year, but get up off the canvas. It only takes a bottom club to lose 1 quality player to make a huge difference, but im sure that goes unnoticed. This is probably the weakest decision I have ever heard of by an organisation. They should do their time at the bottom like other clubs that battle year after year. But that's only if they fall down the ladder. Noarlunga might not, and probably wont use the extra points, but this decision reeks of putting the interests of some clubs before that of others. End of rant.

=D> =D>

Well said. Why do we even bother having a points system? It seems that ANY club that asks for more points will be granted, no questions asked. :oops:
O’Sullivan Beach F.C Est. 1975
Lonsdale F.C Est. 1977
O’Sullivan Beach/Lonsdale F.C Est. 2001
Premierships
A-Grade ~ 5
Reserves ~ 5
Juniors ~ 17
lion heart
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 62 times
Grassroots Team: OSB Lonsdale

Postby Boof » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:08 pm

Can't see the extra points being of much use to the Shoes this close to round 1.
For so many players to leave something is obviously wrong at Noarlunga, the abusive coach maybe?

Any chance the draw for the juniors will be announced before round 1?
Rumour has it several clubs are struggling for numbers in the 16s & 18s.
If that proves to be correct, it's a huge concern.
Boof
Mini-League

Postby Oldman Munga » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:44 pm

Boof wrote:Can't see the extra points being of much use to the Shoes this close to round 1.
For so many players to leave something is obviously wrong at Noarlunga, the abusive coach maybe?

Correct there are a few clubs struggling for 18's in particular , might see a few mergers for the season
Oldman Munga
Rookie

Postby vics01 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:54 pm

Well I suppose Noarlunga won't have to worry about playing any 18's up to avoid issues with APPS????????????
vics01
Reserves

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times
Grassroots Team: Cove

Postby finals fever » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:56 pm

Boof wrote:Can't see the extra points being of much use to the Shoes this close to round 1.

Abusive???
I think everyone was sick and tired of hearing the same crap every year. 4 years at the helm and still playing the same brand of footy, "kick it up the line to Comer and then pump it long to Golding". That can only hold up for so long. The coach is still stuck in the 80's and been left behind...
finals fever

Been liked: 4 times
Grassroots Team: Mt Compass

Postby Boof » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:29 pm

Abusive was perhaps a bit harsh. Can't argue with your post FF, spot on.
Dare I ask why half the senior players have moved on and yet the coach retains his position?
Easier to replace the coach surely, or does he have a contract?
Boof
Mini-League

Postby woodublieve12 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:40 am

then why need them???

Also with all these points the league have, why aren't they benig used for the lower clubs, to hopefully build a stronger comp?
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL