AFL - Round 1 - general discussion (and live scores)

Talk on the national game

Re: AFL - Round 1 - general discussion (and live scores)

Postby Ted E Bear » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:43 pm

15.3.2 Incorrect disposal

But theres no rule.....
Ted E Bear
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 13 times

Postby cracka » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:43 pm

Ted E Bear wrote:I think someone is taking us for a ride

F***. I give up guys.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 461 times
Been liked: 566 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby HH3 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:45 pm

Wedgie wrote:I've laughed at ignorant people for years screaming out dropping the ball or incorrect disposal and will continue to do so.

Should probably stop laughing at people for knowing the rules better than you do, hey.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Ted E Bear » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:46 pm

HH3 wrote:
Wedgie wrote:I've laughed at ignorant people for years screaming out dropping the ball or incorrect disposal and will continue to do so.

Should probably stop laughing at people for knowing the rules better than you do, hey.

:lol:
Ted E Bear
Under 16s

Postby Wedgie » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:48 pm

Throwing or handing the ball to another player wasn't the issue being discussed, the ball coming out in the tackle was.
Of course you can't throw it or hand it to another player, I think we can agree on that, there's even an umpire signal to indicate that, just like there is for holding the ball.
In the manner of the discussion I was just saying the ball does not need to be handballed or kicked when a player is tackled, they just have to show the umpire they're making an effort to. It can be knocked out or dropped if a player doesn't have time as long as the umpire believes the player has made a genuine effort to get rid of it legally.
The main point of contention should be if there was a genuine effort or if they had time not how it is disposed of in this instance.
Then a decision can be made about the RULE which is Holding the Ball.
Simple really.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2044 times
Been liked: 3889 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby whufc » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:50 pm

Wedgie wrote:How so?
I said there was no rule for incorrect disposal and there is a rule for holding the ball, thought it was clear enough but obviously not for some.
The ball can come out in a manner of ways from a tackle legally not necessarily from a handball or kick.
I reiterate there is no rule for Incorrect Disposal.
There is a rule for holding the ball.
I've laughed at ignorant people for years screaming out dropping the ball or incorrect disposal and will continue to do so.

Yep and if its not a handball or a kick its a holding the ball.

The key to it is prior opportunity, if you haven't had prior opportunity you can then fumble, drop etc etc etc the football in the tackle and have not broken any rules. If you have had prior opportunity though incorrect disposal (eg, not a kick or handball) will lead to the ruling of 'holding the ball'

From the afl.com.au website

http://mm.afl.com.au/Portals/0/2012/AM_ ... L_laws.pdf

15.2.3 Holding the Football

Where the field umpire is satisfied that a player in possession of the football

(a) has had a prior opportunity to dispose of the football. the field umpire shall award a Free Kick against that Player if the Player does not kick or handball the football immediately when they are Correctly Tackled.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5588 times
Been liked: 2529 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Wedgie » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:50 pm

HH3 wrote:

No I will continue to laugh at people who think they know a rule when there isn't one.
The umpires don't even have a signal for either, you'd think that'd wake people up.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Wedgie » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:52 pm

whufc wrote:
I said there was no rule for incorrect disposal and there is a rule for holding the ball, thought it was clear enough but obviously not for some.
The ball can come out in a manner of ways from a tackle legally not necessarily from a handball or kick.
I've laughed at ignorant people for years screaming out dropping the ball or incorrect disposal and will continue to do so.

The key to it is prior opportunity, if you haven't had prior opportunity you can then fumble, drop etc etc etc the football in the tackle and have not broken any rules. If you have had prior opportunity though incorrect disposal (eg, not a kick or handball) will lead to the ruling of 'holding the ball'

Exactly my point in a nutshell, thank you.
Its irelevent how you get rid of it if you don't have prior opportunity. There is no rule for incorrect disposal in this context.
But there is a rule for holding the ball if incorrect disposal and other criteria occur such as prior opportunity and a legal tackle.
Check out the AFLs rules dvd for 2014, it has a couple of examples of players throwing it, dropping it, the ball being bounced out, etc all legally.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Ted E Bear » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:19 pm

Wedgie wrote:There never was a rule for incorrect disposal.

:shock:
Ted E Bear
Under 16s

Postby Baron Greenback » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:26 pm

Wedgie wrote:
whufc wrote:

Its irelevent how you get rid of it if you don't have prior opportunity. There is no rule for incorrect disposal in this context.
But there is a rule for holding the ball if incorrect disposal and other criteria occur such as prior opportunity and a legal tackle.
Check out the AFLs rules dvd for 2014, it has a couple of examples of players throwing it, dropping it, the ball being bounced out, etc all legally.

Spot on Wedgie. Sh*ts me to tears when supporters, especially from my own team, start claiming holding the ball in that situation.
Lions and Crows supporters are generally the worst for it in my experience.
Ham and eggs for breakfast, ham and eggs for tea
Baron Greenback
Coach

Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 26 times
Grassroots Team: Paringa

Postby Sorry Dude » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:43 pm

Baron Greenback wrote:
Wedgie wrote:
whufc wrote:

Spot on Wedgie. Sh*ts me to tears when supporters, especially from my own team, start claiming holding the ball in that situation.
Lions and Crows supporters are generally the worst for it in my experience.

I have never known the Lions to be that bad. WA supporters are pretty bad for it too! It stuck out pretty bad on Friday night with Collingwood too.
Sorry Dude
League - Top 5

Has liked: 156 times
Been liked: 73 times

Postby Jim05 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:01 pm

Walker offered 1 match for his weak effort against Monfries
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Ted E Bear » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:30 pm

Should have been 2 minimum.

Coward
Ted E Bear
Under 16s

Postby valleys07 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:33 pm

Interesting precedent set with the Westhoff "spoil", resulting in the tribunal throwing it out.

Only time will tell.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1169 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby kickinit » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:46 pm

valleys07 wrote:Interesting precedent set with the Westhoff "spoil", resulting in the tribunal throwing it out.

Only time will tell.

yeh apparently a genuine attempt to spoil is looking at the player rather then the ball.
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 95 times

Postby Johno6 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:01 pm

I love it when a player gets tackled, hes hand passed the ball and the crowd yell out "BBBAAAAALLLLL"
R.I.P Mum 28/02/12

Asterix Users - Squibs
Johno6
Coach

Has liked: 344 times
Been liked: 604 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby scoob » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:04 pm

Johno6 wrote:I love it when a player gets tackled, hes hand passed the ball and the crowd yell out "BBBAAAAALLLLL"

Or when the ball is kicked clear and the crowd yells deliberate and the ball actually doesn't go out of bounds... Happens at Crows games quite often.

To many people who know **** all at these games for it to be an enjoyable experience.
scoob
Veteran

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 87 times

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:43 pm

kickinit wrote:
valleys07 wrote:Interesting precedent set with the Westhoff "spoil", resulting in the tribunal throwing it out.

Only time will tell.

yeh apparently a genuine attempt to spoil is looking at the player rather then the ball.

And an elbow to the guts gets a reprimand.
Cannabis is safer than alcohol
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 193 times

Postby carey » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:11 pm

Johno6 wrote:I love it when a player gets tackled, hes hand passed the ball and the crowd yell out "BBBAAAAALLLLL"

Happens at ever single crows game I've ever been to.
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2808 times
Been liked: 2996 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby carey » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:13 pm

scoob wrote:John Butcher is the worst AFL player I think I have ever seen.

I actually feel a tad sorry and embarassed for him - he struggles to get a kick and when he does it looks like he has never handle a football before in his life. How this bloke is a professional AFL player is beyond me.

Now I've had enough of Butcher as well but the worst player ever tag has to go to Cam Hitchcock I'd take Butcher everyday day of the week over the lesbian looking Hitchcock
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2808 times
Been liked: 2996 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL