Southern Football League

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: Southern Football League

Postby Splinter » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:52 pm

cracka wrote:How many SFL clubs have C grades. We hosted Flaggies on Saturday & a young lad from them said there are only a couple of SFL clubs that have the numbers for a C grade & that they would look at joining the HFL C grade comp. I've emailed the HFL & suggested a combined C grade comp, what's the thoughts from down south.

Looks like a 6 team comp this year - Brighton, Christies Beach, Cove, Edwardstown, Flagstaff Hill and Morphettville Park.

M/Ville Park a new inclusion and we have lost Happy Valley and Morphett Vale by the looks of it
Splinter

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Front & Centre » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:30 pm

stampy wrote:
Front & Centre wrote:Can anyone confirm who the coach is for the Christies Beach U 18s is this year? Have heard lots of players being approached to play for this team and this morning heard that they may have appointed a coach that has been sacked by a couple of different SFL clubs including Happy Valley. For the Saints sake hope this rumour is incorrect

mal ralph is cbfc 18s coach

Really? Surprised by that.
Front & Centre
Rookie

Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 12 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby cracka » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:08 pm

Splinter wrote:
cracka wrote:How many SFL clubs have C grades. We hosted Flaggies on Saturday & a young lad from them said there are only a couple of SFL clubs that have the numbers for a C grade & that they would look at joining the HFL C grade comp. I've emailed the HFL & suggested a combined C grade comp, what's the thoughts from down south.

Looks like a 6 team comp this year - Brighton, Christies Beach, Cove, Edwardstown, Flagstaff Hill and Morphettville Park.

M/Ville Park a new inclusion and we have lost Happy Valley and Morphett Vale by the looks of it

Okay, scrap that idea then.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 560 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby spot on » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:08 pm

Heard that Jarred Greenbank is returning to the Emus this year, very handy pickup
spot on
Under 18s

Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 9 times
Grassroots Team: Casterton

Postby jumbo20 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:15 pm

Who won between Onka's and Flaggie on Saturday?
jumbo20
Under 16s

Been liked: 9 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby cracka » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:18 pm

jumbo20 wrote:Who won between Onka's and Flaggie on Saturday?

Onkas by about 5 or 6 I think.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 560 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby vics01 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:02 pm

DTH
How are clubs going with Under 18's numbers. Record nominations this year with 13 teams (only Lonsdale don't have a team and Noarlunga and Aldinga are playing as a merged Under 18 team) but I understand that many clubs are still struggling with numbers. Christies Beach have good numbers and shaping as a strong squad which is good for the comp provided their coach stops trying to poach players from other clubs when he already has plenty to work with. And I assume HV and FH are pretty good with numbers but I've heard a real challenge for the remaining clubs.

At Brighton we have a total squad of 25 or 26 at the moment but have 10 training at the Bays and 3 at South and it appears that 6 or 7 of these will get a regular game at those clubs so we will have a real battle getting 18 (let alone 22) on the park come Round 1 and even tougher when we lose a few to college football which will also drain off some more to the SANFL clubs who have to cover for college losses. Obviously we are trying to pick up some more players but its going to be tough. A change to Under 17 Senior Colts can't come soon enough in my book.

DTH how does going to Under 17 colts make the comp better when in your own estimation we have record under 18 nominations.. A little self interest maybe that BDOS have the college population all migrating to BDOS as youngsters.. Surely you have some public schools you could work with??
vics01
Reserves

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times
Grassroots Team: Cove

Postby Down the Hill » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:44 pm

Record team nominations Vics but I reckon less overall Under 18 players than seasons when we have had 10 or 12 teams. In Brighton's case it is more a situation of having potentially 13 players in the SANFL system in 2014 rather than our usual average of 4 to 5 in most previous years. 11 teams in the past with average regularly available squads of say 25 still equates to more players than 13 teams with average regular squads of 20.

At the moment, by having the SFL Senior Colts aligned with the same age as the SANFL Senior Colts it means our best 18 year old players are lost to the SANFL, weakening our own Under 18 comp reagrdless of player numbers. If our Senior Colts was Under 17 then only the outstanding 17 year olds are lost to the SANFL Under 18's. But also the better 16 year old lads are only lost to the SANFL Under 16 comp until mid to late May and then it is better for their development when they come back to their SFL clubs in May to play in an Under 17 comp where they won't be as dominant as they would be in an SFL Under 16 comp.

Anyway Vics, at the last SFL meeting it was discussed amongst some delegates that colleges such as Woodcroft and Cardijn were looking at fielding Saturday school teams deeper into the secondary year levels and that even a school such as Wirreanda (public) could follow suit if those southern colleges went down that path. So your concerns with Brighton and who we attract to the club may spread further South.

Who knows, Hackham may have the same problem one day once Hackham Grammar gets established.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 275 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby vics01 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:17 pm

DTH I know that everyone DTH in Latte land thinks that Hackham Grammar is at 1 peter brown drive north field, however you might be in for a surprise in the coming years..

Maybe instead of shafting club footy the effort should go into tackling the colleges through the SANFL .. EG College play during school time, real football played at clubs on weekends..

From what you are saying even in an under 17 comp we wont see the best come back until the SANFL u 16 comp is finished in May
vics01
Reserves

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times
Grassroots Team: Cove

Postby leftpeg » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:55 pm

Splinter wrote:

Have the teams been officially nominated Splinter? I heard a different story regarding Cove & Brighton fielding teams..
leftpeg

Been liked: 5 times

Postby Secondsquare » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:32 pm

Mal Ralph what a character ! Say what you want about him but he is passionate about his footy and his kids seem to play for him! Noarlunga have recruited some quality and seem to be using some of there points ! Simon dean back from west is a massive in !! Still got a way to go but I believe they are chasing players around Australia !! Pomeroy from valleys to flaggies interesting !! Cove still losing players on clearance list so think they will be rebuilding!! Hackham big movers never thought I would say that!! And Bachman back to Christies to play with his buddy Ben princi! Top three reynella , morphie park and valleys ! Raffle the next eight spots !
Secondsquare

Been liked: 4 times

Postby Keyser Soze » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:18 am

Secondsquare wrote:Mal Ralph what a character ! Say what you want about him but he is passionate about his footy and his kids seem to play for him! Noarlunga have recruited some quality and seem to be using some of there points ! Simon dean back from west is a massive in !! Still got a way to go but I believe they are chasing players around Australia !! Pomeroy from valleys to flaggies interesting !! Cove still losing players on clearance list so think they will be rebuilding!! Hackham big movers never thought I would say that!! And Bachman back to Christies to play with his buddy Ben princi! Top three reynella , morphie park and valleys ! Raffle the next eight spots !

Bachmann a big in if he still has his pace, a former mail medal winner like Pomeroy big surprise but struggled to crack A-grade 2 years ago for vikings.

Numerous Denied on the clearance list to Hackham especially from Cove (Vics01 making friends?) will they be cleared by the weekend?

Brighton and Hackham the big improvers for 2014

Shoes, Cove and maybe Porties to miss finals

Wineflies favourites unless Vikings can pull things together or Roos can stay injure free?
Keyser Soze
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 10 times

Postby Leo » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:17 am

leftpeg wrote:
Splinter wrote:

Have the teams been officially nominated Splinter? I heard a different story regarding Cove & Brighton fielding teams..

With Early in charge at Cove, I doubt very much there will be a C Grade. Morphy Park must have rustled up some numbers. Their B Grade last year would have lost to most C Grade sides. I cant see Happy Valleys name on that list?? Give Brighton the cup now, with Christies the big improvers.
Leo
Rookie

Been liked: 8 times

Postby Panther32 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:57 am

Keyser Soze wrote:
Secondsquare wrote:Mal Ralph what a character ! Say what you want about him but he is passionate about his footy and his kids seem to play for him! Noarlunga have recruited some quality and seem to be using some of there points ! Simon dean back from west is a massive in !! Still got a way to go but I believe they are chasing players around Australia !! Pomeroy from valleys to flaggies interesting !! Cove still losing players on clearance list so think they will be rebuilding!! Hackham big movers never thought I would say that!! And Bachman back to Christies to play with his buddy Ben princi! Top three reynella , morphie park and valleys ! Raffle the next eight spots !

Bachmann a big in if he still has his pace, a former mail medal winner like Pomeroy big surprise but struggled to crack A-grade 2 years ago for vikings.

Numerous Denied on the clearance list to Hackham especially from Cove (Vics01 making friends?) will they be cleared by the weekend?

Wineflies favourites unless Vikings can pull things together or Roos can stay injure free?

Brighton have lost another one to Sammy at Peake with Aysh Simper leaving Brighton.

I was wondering where Princi was playing, interesting to see him go to Christies, has he ever played for them?

And if what was said earlier is true Greenbank will be a huge inclusion for MV!
The only time i've ever been wrong...was when I thought I was wrong!!!
Panther32
League - Best 21

Has liked: 104 times
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby Look Good In Leather » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:04 am

Panther32 wrote:
Keyser Soze wrote:

Brighton have lost another one to Sammy at Peake with Aysh Simper leaving Brighton.

I was wondering where Princi was playing, interesting to see him go to Christies, has he ever played for them?
And if what was said earlier is true Greenbank will be a huge inclusion for MV!

Former junior
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Mister Footy » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:19 am

Mal Ralph is an interesting choice of coach for Christies - best of luck to them

Sad to see Pomeroy head over to the arch rivals but is true he struggled to get a game in the As and has been working at Roxby for last couple of years

Hackham Ins are very interesting - did I hear right that a former Fremantle Docker and winefly junior is playing with them this year? That must be chewing up their points.

For me top 3 Reynella, Vikings, Emus
Mister Footy
Under 18s

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 28 times

Postby Front & Centre » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:29 am

Down the Hill wrote:Record team nominations Vics but I reckon less overall Under 18 players than seasons when we have had 10 or 12 teams. In Brighton's case it is more a situation of having potentially 13 players in the SANFL system in 2014 rather than our usual average of 4 to 5 in most previous years. 11 teams in the past with average regularly available squads of say 25 still equates to more players than 13 teams with average regular squads of 20.

At the moment, by having the SFL Senior Colts aligned with the same age as the SANFL Senior Colts it means our best 18 year old players are lost to the SANFL, weakening our own Under 18 comp reagrdless of player numbers. If our Senior Colts was Under 17 then only the outstanding 17 year olds are lost to the SANFL Under 18's. But also the better 16 year old lads are only lost to the SANFL Under 16 comp until mid to late May and then it is better for their development when they come back to their SFL clubs in May to play in an Under 17 comp where they won't be as dominant as they would be in an SFL Under 16 comp.

Anyway Vics, at the last SFL meeting it was discussed amongst some delegates that colleges such as Woodcroft and Cardijn were looking at fielding Saturday school teams deeper into the secondary year levels and that even a school such as Wirreanda (public) could follow suit if those southern colleges went down that path. So your concerns with Brighton and who we attract to the club may spread further South.

Who knows, Hackham may have the same problem one day once Hackham Grammar gets established.

13 players at SANFL level is a good indicator of a solid junior program DTH - imagine Valleys would be along similiar lines
Great to see kids get a chance playing at higher level and never going to stop them but impact on clubs at 18s level cant be underestimated
Reckon Cardijn and Woodcroft are playing in a Wednesday afternoon competition not Saturday morning competition - my lad played against them last year.

Mister Footy if you are who I think you are thought you might find Mal Ralph being appointed at Christies "interesting" - reckon you have had some "interesting" conversations with him
Front & Centre
Rookie

Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 12 times

Postby Down the Hill » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:56 am

The only games that get played midweek that I am aware of are the State Knockout Comp games for Year 8/9 and Open Age. Most the colleges enter the Knockout Comp including those that don't play Saturday mornings and also many public schools such as Brighton and Wirreanda and plenty from the country. But this is the only footy comp entered by many schools and if you get knocked out in Round 1, that's the only game you play. It could have been one of those games you are referring to.

Woodcroft College has Saturday morning teams from Year 7 down playing in the Panther League Primary School Comp and I believe have had a Year 8/9 team playing Saturday morning college ball in recent years but not sure if they did last year or will have one this year. I'm not sure what Cardijn have done in the past but I believe they are fielding a Year 8/9 team in the college comp in 2014. This is one of the reasons why Lonsdale is fielding a Sunday Under 16 team but not a Saturday team. I have been told that they have about 25 Under 16 players but that many go to Cardijn and will be playing school footy on most Saturday mornings.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 275 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby Panther32 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:36 pm

Mister Footy wrote:

Mal Ralph is an interesting choice of coach for Christies - best of luck to them

Sad to see Pomeroy head over to the arch rivals but is true he struggled to get a game in the As and has been working at Roxby for last couple of years

Hackham Ins are very interesting - did I hear right that a former Fremantle Docker and winefly junior is playing with them this year? That must be chewing up their points.

For me top 3 Reynella, Vikings, Emus

I wonder if Reynella even knew he was coming back to the SFL.

Would have been a handy in for the Flies.
The only time i've ever been wrong...was when I thought I was wrong!!!
Panther32
League - Best 21

Has liked: 104 times
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby lion heart » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:55 pm

Down the Hill wrote:The only games that get played midweek that I am aware of are the State Knockout Comp games for Year 8/9 and Open Age. Most the colleges enter the Knockout Comp including those that don't play Saturday mornings and also many public schools such as Brighton and Wirreanda and plenty from the country. But this is the only footy comp entered by many schools and if you get knocked out in Round 1, that's the only game you play. It could have been one of those games you are referring to.

Woodcroft College has Saturday morning teams from Year 7 down playing in the Panther League Primary School Comp and I believe have had a Year 8/9 team playing Saturday morning college ball in recent years but not sure if they did last year or will have one this year. I'm not sure what Cardijn have done in the past but I believe they are fielding a Year 8/9 team in the college comp in 2014. This is one of the reasons why Lonsdale is fielding a Sunday Under 16 team but not a Saturday team. I have been told that they have about 25 Under 16 players but that many go to Cardijn and will be playing school footy on most Saturday mornings.

Correct DTH - Cardijn started Saturday football last year and this impacted us on quite a few occasions. If the kids take part in the football program at Cardijn they are expected to play Saturday football. We had the situation where the kids were racing back from school footy to play club football. Depending on start times and venue they were not able to make it some weeks.

Most people at the club are devastated that our team will be playing on a Sunday but we simply had no choice. We have 15 junior players (mostly 16s) that attend Cardijn as well as 1 player at Sacred Heart. If other schools decide to enter the Saturday comp we may see other clubs impacted in the future.

I would agree with Vics about Schools playing mid week football but this has been an age old arguement that doesn't seem likely to change.
O’Sullivan Beach F.C Est. 1975
Lonsdale F.C Est. 1977
O’Sullivan Beach/Lonsdale F.C Est. 2001
Premierships
A-Grade ~ 5
Reserves ~ 5
Juniors ~ 17
lion heart
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 62 times
Grassroots Team: OSB Lonsdale