Southern Football League

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: Southern Football League

Postby Look Good In Leather » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:06 pm

lion heart wrote:
Look Good In Leather wrote:All clubs had the opportunity to apply for additional points and I think only 4 did with Aldinga already having additional from what was approved last year.

If clubs further down didn't apply then obviously they didn't feel they needed them.

Correct LGIL we only had 1 points players on Saturday and 4 x u18s so we were effectively -2 but that is not my argument. Why have a points system at all if there is a 100% success rate in applying for more points! Might as well abolish the system!

This probably should be the goal anyway. The system is a joke.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Broken Down Hack » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:11 pm

lion heart wrote:
Blaze of Glory wrote:Seems like someone at Morphettville Park has been busy over the past few days getting all those clearences in!

Rumour has it they have a few extra points to play with this year...

Sorry for the bad news LION HEART.....but no extra points ...we have entered a C grade this yrs so thats where the players are coming from to get cleared.......OH and for the record the club has had to turn away around 8 players this yr because of the points...we offered them a game in B grade till next yr but they opted to either go back to their country clubs, or find another club to play A grade....SFL loss ..... and with finally some U/18 coming through (7) i believe none can play work Saturday, college footy, and a couple that just want to get wrecked on w'ends and couldn't be bothered playing ....
Broken Down Hack
Rookie

Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 15 times

Postby Leo » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:14 pm

shoe boy wrote:I agree absolutely disgraceful and you'd have to be pissed when some of these clubs only won a few games for the year but have less points. I'd imagine some of these sides will come close to using there allocated points each week and shouldn't have to restrict recruiting due to points, aren't we looking for a competitive league. It's not Noarlunga's fault they would have asked for 23 from the SFL but the CFL came back with 19.

The issue I have is as a governing body like the SFL, how can they allow this to happen when other clubs don't get the same or greater concessions? If they sent the CFL a recommendation for 23 points then other clubs should have at least been offered the same concessions.

Imagine an organisation like the AFL for example having concessions for some clubs and not others and the angst that would cause, oh wait, where's Buddy?

Are you serious KS the AFL is the most rorted comp I know!
Just for the record Noarlunga did not request 23 points or any number just a review!
We played Victor in a trial on the w/end and that side was worth zero points!![/quote]

Your missing the point SB. Nobody has a beef with any of the clubs for asking for extra points/reviews/etc. The beef is that the SFL has even considered doing so for some clubs. Rules are there to maintain stability within an organisation. In EXTREME CIRCUMSTANCES, I fully understand exceptions to rules if its in the best interest of the league. I think you would have to agree, that your club is far from an extreme circumstance at present. A person I spoke to recently said their club was in the early stages of investigating other options outside of the SFL. It sounds like the relationship between the League and some clubs is at an all time low.
Leo
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 8 times

Postby lion heart » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:07 pm

Sorry Hack I did not mean extra points from the league. I was inferring that maybe you had more points due to all point player going down a point from last year and the rumoured possibility of a multiple point player having the year off/retiring.
O’Sullivan Beach F.C Est. 1975
Lonsdale F.C Est. 1977
O’Sullivan Beach/Lonsdale F.C Est. 2001
Premierships
A-Grade ~ 5
Reserves ~ 5
Juniors ~ 17
lion heart
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 62 times
Grassroots Team: OSB Lonsdale

Postby afc9798 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:32 am

Brighton v Roos - Roos by 32 points.
Christies v Emus - Emus by 24.
Vikings v Lions - Vikings by 150.
Marion v Cove - Cove by 40 points
Shoes v Hawks - Hawks by 5 points
Flies v Flaggies - Flies by 60 points
Porties v Sharks - Porties by150 points

3 potentially close games IMO but time will tell. Agree with previous post that BDOS and Roos will be game of the round. Also think Shoes vs Hawks will be a good game to watch. Keen to see how the Hawks have progressed from an improived season last year.
afc9798
Reserves

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 47 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby MatteeG » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:53 am

Brighton v Roos - Roos by 1 goal. Will be a close one- Roos experience to get them over the line.
Christies v Emus - Emus by 3 goals- reckon Christies will be in front in the 3rd before the emus run over them.
Vikings v Lions - Valleys by 20 goals- tough start for the Lions.
Marion v Cove - Cove by 8 goals - Cobras too talented here
Shoes v Hawks - Shoes by 4 goals- I too would like to see how far the Hawks have improved, but despite the losses at Shoe land there is still enough depth and quality here.
Flies v Flaggies - Flaggies by 2 goals. Go you good things.
Porties v Sharks - Porties by 25 goals. No love for the Sharks here, a long day beckons.
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Esteban Vihaio » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:59 am

It is interesting to note that the u/18 competition with 13 has more sides than both the u/16 and u/14 competitions who only have 10 sides each. This would go against the trend in most competitions even accounting for the availability of ex-college kids who are newly available on Saturday. Also interesting that all the DTH are filling sides, yet three sides past cement hill failed to fill their own independent side.
Where's Bill? Yeah... Hmm... Bill is on the Villa Quatro, on the road to Salina. I will draw you a map.
Esteban Vihaio
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 36 times

Postby Roo Ted » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:33 am

afc9798 wrote:Brighton v Roos - Roos by 32 points.

3 potentially close games IMO but time will tell. Agree with previous post that BDOS and Roos will be game of the round. Also think Shoes vs Hawks will be a good game to watch. Keen to see how the Hawks have progressed from an improived season last year.

Geez it wasn't that long ago people were calling for our heads and to be gone from the league, now we have the match of the round.
Last edited by Roo Ted on Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roo Ted

Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Morphettville Park

Postby Roo Ted » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:34 am

Esteban Vihaio wrote:It is interesting to note that the u/18 competition with 13 has more sides than both the u/16 and u/14 competitions who only have 10 sides each. This would go against the trend in most competitions even accounting for the availability of ex-college kids who are newly available on Saturday. Also interesting that all the DTH are filling sides, yet three sides past cement hill failed to fill their own independent side.

The wheel turns!
Roo Ted

Postby Keyser Soze » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:03 pm

[quote="Esteban Vihaio"]It is interesting to note that the u/18 competition with 13 has more sides than both the u/16 and u/14 competitions who only have 10 sides each. This would go against the trend in most competitions even accounting for the availability of ex-college kids who are newly available on Saturday. Also interesting that all the DTH are filling sides, yet three sides past cement hill failed to fill their own independent side.[/quote

I think you'll find these clubs all have Sunday 14's and 16's although I think Marion and MVP are with struggling for under 16's....I cant help but feel that this is due to non capping of junior sides which allows a club to field multiple teams when other clubs don't field one for certain grades. Doesn't lend itself to an even comp, hopefully this doesn't result in Sunday 16's comp folding like last season cause not so sure other clubs will be so accommodating this year.
Keyser Soze
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 10 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:07 pm

Keyser Soze wrote:
Esteban Vihaio wrote:It is interesting to note that the u/18 competition with 13 has more sides than both the u/16 and u/14 competitions who only have 10 sides each. This would go against the trend in most competitions even accounting for the availability of ex-college kids who are newly available on Saturday. Also interesting that all the DTH are filling sides, yet three sides past cement hill failed to fill their own independent side.

I think you'll find these clubs all have Sunday 14's and 16's although I think Marion and MVP are with struggling for under 16's....I cant help but feel that this is due to non capping of junior sides which allows a club to field multiple teams when other clubs don't field one for certain grades. Doesn't lend itself to an even comp, hopefully this doesn't result in Sunday 16's comp folding like last season cause not so sure other clubs will be so accommodating this year.

In business you do not suddenly make weak competitors strong by restricting the stronger companies.
It is not the stronger clubs' role to recruit players on behalf of weaker clubs. I agree with capping players per team to ensure each team entered is on an equal footing and that set squads should be in place, but if a club is able to recruit enough players for 5 teams within one grade, then they should be allowed to field each of those teams.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Postby afc9798 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:24 pm

Roo Ted wrote:

Geez it wasn't that long ago people were calling for our heads and to be gone from the league, now we have the match of the round.

I'm sure those drums are still beating, but not on the basis of the quality of the A grade side.
afc9798
Reserves

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 47 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby fisho mcspaz » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:47 pm

Brighton v Roos - Roos by 25
Christies v Emus - Emus by 12
Vikings v Lions - Vikings by 80
Marion v Cove - Cove by 60
Shoes v Hawks - Shoes by 36
Flies v Flaggies - Flies by 60
Porties v Sharks - Porties by 150
Hey Goose, ya big stud! Take me to bed or lose me for ever.
fisho mcspaz
League - Top 5

Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 111 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby Dutchy » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:58 pm

Doughty still playing for the flies?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3496 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:18 pm

Might draw a bumper crowd of about 20 people
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Postby Roo Ted » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:39 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote:

Might draw a bumper crowd of about 20 people

19 more than the Christies v Emus game then!
Roo Ted

Postby tigerpie » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:01 pm

Dutchy wrote:Doughty still playing for the flies?

Yep :D
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 500 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby Keyser Soze » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:23 pm

tigerpie wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Doughty still playing for the flies?

Yep :D

Looks a pretty strong wineflies side on paper going to be hard to beat all year.

Must admit though a little worried about Aldinga's start to the season. Were competitive in a couple of early games last season even notched 2 wins in first 6 games but 150 plus loss to Hackham in round 1 and large list of outs with some of those the 'better' players from last year. Nobody likes to see a team getting smashed each week.
Keyser Soze
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 10 times

Postby Oldman Munga » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:45 pm

OK heres my Tips for the weekend
Porties over Dingy by plenty
Valley to continue The Lions early pain
Cobras over an improving Marion
Roos over the Bombers
Christies to strong over Morphies
Reynella in a cakewalk over Flaggies
Noarlunga to show theres still plenty of kick left over Hackham

THANK GOD FOOTY IS BACK
Oldman Munga
Rookie

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Peter Griffen » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:03 pm

I wonder if Aldinga don't think there is an issue with the current set up like the SFL board?
Peter Griffen
Under 16s

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: Barmera-Monash

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL