Clubs in strife

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: Clubs in strife

by The Informer » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:01 pm

Footy Chick wrote:Its his opinion LM and he can't be begrudged it (and I'd bet my house that it's not only his opinion either)

Every team has their reasons for doing what they're doing because they validly believe the decision they've made will keep their club alive.

Kilburn believe that going down will kill their club.

Brahma believed the opposite.

Perhaps everyone should be saving their praise or condemnation until we find out which one worked

Another thing it is doing in Kilburns case, is making some players who couldnt get a start in a C grade team now worth 3 points if they decide to leave.

Points will restrict any quick fix as well.
The Informer
Reserves

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

by Yank Man » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:06 pm

morell wrote:I find that strange considering we tried very hard to get a spot in D7 but were refused.

In fairness to the league they also knew we had 35 odd players and came to watch our 1st trial that we won by 20 goals. To put us in Div 7 and get instant success could have had a bad look. We saw both sides of the picture and we are happy enough where we are. We can rebuild from here. :)
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 317 times
Grassroots Team: Edwardstown

by Footy Chick » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:25 pm

thread was not crelated to have them removed.

if you really think the league can act over a thread on a forum than you're far dumber than any of us have given you credit for.
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

by Look Good In Leather » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:33 pm

marbles wrote:omg a whole thread was created to push the notion that 50 goal thrashing cannot continue, and a even a poll to further express that everyone believe its BS that theyre still in div 3 with less than one side. the threads existence is to have them removed. i merely an observer, and its the clubs payment **** ups that has dug this hole

my projection is purely mathematical

i bet putting them in div 7 would even give wingfield a win :D

What is your solution then marbles?
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

by marbles » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:57 pm

well im a ruthless son of a bitch my solution is always the hard ass line

that if youre failing to meet the requirements of the affiliation, you get sent to the back of the line!

there are plenty of other clubs worthy of their div 3 place but instead everyones has to now deal with the little prick that wont move and get out of the way.

go back to div 7, accept that youve ****** up and start again, at least youll survive instead of rotting and dying amoungst div 3 power houses who are now gonna put your kilburn history through pure embarrassment of 50 goal thrashings

at least give thise with enough pride to stick around some hope of good times, face reality take the boat out of the heavy seas and bring it in for repairs instead of letting it sink
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 258 times

by morell » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:53 pm

Yank Man wrote:
morell wrote:I find that strange considering we tried very hard to get a spot in D7 but were refused.

In fairness to the league they also knew we had 35 odd players and came to watch our 1st trial that we won by 20 goals. To put us in Div 7 and get instant success could have had a bad look. We saw both sides of the picture and we are happy enough where we are. We can rebuild from here. :)
Hmmm. I would politely disagree Yanky! 35 players doesn't mean they are of standard to be playing D6 A Grade. The side we have wouldn't go close to making finals in D7 this year. Sure, we would be competitive most weeks perhaps but isn't that the point? What is better - a side that will be uncompetitive, likely not win a game, get beaten by 20-30 goals most weeks, sometimes more other weeks, or a side that might win 5-6 games and at least provide a contest to the other teams?

OK, we beat Flinders Uni B Grade by 20 goals. Understand that, but with as much respect to those lads as possible, they're getting beaten by the same sort of margin in D6R. So our D6 team is roughly the same standard as D6R. I would argue D6R is roughly the same standard as the bottom of D7. Not good.

Mitchell Park and Flinders Uni should be in D7 this year IMO. It's clearly the right decision and I think the results over the next few weeks will vindicate that opinion.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1141 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

by Q. » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:48 pm

Somebody has to finish bottom, usually because you get smashed most weeks.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

by bennymacca » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:50 pm

Q. wrote:Somebody has to finish bottom, usually because you get smashed most weeks.

getting smacked by more than 20 goals every single week isnt good for anyone though
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

by woodublieve12 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:53 pm

is for the side winning..
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3025 times
Been liked: 2398 times

by morell » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:12 pm

Q. wrote:Somebody has to finish bottom, usually because you get smashed most weeks.
Finished bottom enough times to know this is true, but we will be a very unhealthy wooden spooner this year.

I reckon you just want the bye ;)
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1141 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

by Bombers4EVA » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:23 pm

Getting belted by alot isnt nice to see and isnt that enjoyable. But its life and its football. It just means that there is going to be alot of hard and tough times ahead. Which may mean you may only have 1 side or you may play with little numbers on the field and get smashed week in and week out. Its unfortunate but that is amatuer football.
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Has liked: 326 times
Been liked: 89 times

by Cohiba » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:10 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:is for the side winning..

:) :) :)
Cohiba
Reserves

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 41 times

by beeroclock » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:07 pm

End of the day times are a changing.
Clubs will fold football wise.
Grounds and facilities will be used for other purposes.
History will always be there.
beeroclock
League - Best 21

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 53 times

by Yank Man » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:32 pm

morell wrote:
Finished bottom enough times to know this is true, but we will be a very unhealthy wooden spooner this year.

I reckon you just want the bye ;)

So the league says ok MP you don't have the quality so you can go back to Div 7. You couldn't expect FU to play as our reserves in a comp they are already an A grade team in. That means an 11 team comp with 4 byes for the year for the B's. Hard call and a fixture nightmare for Div 7. :x :x
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 317 times
Grassroots Team: Edwardstown

by laser » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:45 pm

I'm not full bottle on the promotion/relegation rules.
But if clubs knew that strictly two go up and two go down every year, then they would feel compelled to operate in a sustainable manner. If they didn't, the consequences could be very harsh. Hard to balance I suppose with the vibe from Thebby being "get as many playing footy as we can". There you go, no real solution from me, just pointing. :)
laser
Under 16s

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 45 times
Grassroots Team: Unley

by jo172 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:13 am

laser wrote:I'm not full bottle on the promotion/relegation rules.
But if clubs knew that strictly two go up and two go down every year, then they would feel compelled to operate in a sustainable manner. If they didn't, the consequences could be very harsh. Hard to balance I suppose with the vibe from Thebby being "get as many playing footy as we can". There you go, no real solution from me, just pointing. :)

I think present experience tells us dramatically differently.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

by Bombers4EVA » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:28 am

Anyone listen to triple m yesterday say around 5:45???
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Has liked: 326 times
Been liked: 89 times

by zedman » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:34 am

Bombers4EVA wrote:Anyone listen to triple m yesterday say around 5:45???

i heard the guy from kilburn on there..summed up their problems pretty well i thought..
zedman
Coach

Has liked: 1079 times
Been liked: 387 times

by jo172 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:36 am

zedman wrote:
Bombers4EVA wrote:Anyone listen to triple m yesterday say around 5:45???

i heard the guy from kilburn on there..summed up their problems pretty well i thought..

For those of us who weren't listening?
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

by Phantom Gossiper » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:37 am

I didn't hear it but believe it was Phil Martin... Of course haha
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 285 times