Southern Football League

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: Southern Football League

Postby words of wisdom » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:58 pm

Steve Flintham will get it or has it. Took them for training on Tuesday. What about David Harrop?? Couldn't play but understands the game..well sort of.
words of wisdom
League - Best 21

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 19 times
Grassroots Team: Mt Burr

Postby shoe boy » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:48 am

fisho mcspaz wrote:F***ing hell I'd like to wring the neck of whoever put that bloody article in the Advertiser. Last thing the club needs. Didn't help Callington and won't help us.

Where in the tisser as I cant find it?
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby Keyser Soze » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:43 am

shoe boy wrote:
fisho mcspaz wrote:F***ing hell I'd like to wring the neck of whoever put that bloody article in the Advertiser. Last thing the club needs. Didn't help Callington and won't help us.

Where in the tisser as I cant find it?[/quote

I'd say it might be be the adelaide.now online version under local sport. Writer loves to sink the boot into clubs when they are struggling.

This weeks games:

Cove v Towns - Cove by 24 pts.
Flagstaff Hill v Noarlunga - Noarlunga by 35 pts
Reynella v Hackham - Flies by 75 pts
Emus v Aldinga - Emus by 240 pts
Roos v Rams - Roos by 80 pts
Lions v Bombers - Bombers by 120 pts
Porties v Happy Valley - Vikings by 50 pts
Keyser Soze
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 10 times

Postby Tubby » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:24 am

shoe boy wrote:

Page 75.
Tubby
Under 16s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Postby Dutchy » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:48 am

Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3496 times

Postby mrp2626 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:49 am

I did pretty well last week with the ol' SFL tips......

Here we go again.....

Cove v Towns - TOWN by 24 points
Flagstaff Hill v Noarlunga - FHill by 11 points
Reynella v Hackham - Flies by 125 pts
Emus v Aldinga - Emus by 220 pts
Roos v Rams - Roos by 94 pts
Lions v Bombers - Bombers by 180 pts
Porties v Happy Valley - HV by 16 pts

Once again we see likely 3 or so good games, and 3 or so absolute beltings!!! I Think the Porties / Valleys game will be a good one, especially down at there.
mrp2626
Mini-League

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 6 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby afc9798 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:07 am

Well much as I hate seeing this sort of publicity for thde SFL, I actually think it's a good thing for the SFL to see what a laughing stock it has the potential to be permanently if these sort of results continue. Hard to continue to bury your head in the sand when the whole of Adelaide is laughing at your league. No amount of changing age groups will address these issues.

Also heard them on 5AA this morning taking the piss out of the result. Not a good look.
afc9798
Reserves

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 47 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby fisho mcspaz » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:37 am

afc9798 wrote:

Well much as I hate seeing this sort of publicity for thde SFL, I actually think it's a good thing for the SFL to see what a laughing stock it has the potential to be permanently if these sort of results continue. Hard to continue to bury your head in the sand when the whole of Adelaide is laughing at your league. No amount of changing age groups will address these issues.

Also heard them on 5AA this morning taking the piss out of the result. Not a good look.

It's not the league at fault, though. It's the club. Bad decisions, bad recruitment, minimal local presence and community involvement.

Ahhhhh - no more complaints. It's easy enough to write down what's wrong and what can be done to fix things, but putting ideas into practice is going to be a long, hard slog. I know a lot of Aldinga and ex-Aldinga people read this forum, so this is for you - please get behind our club. Volunteers are always needed, particularly after the first few weeks when the eager numbers begin to drop off. Players, too - the B grade needs numbers. The A grade needs numbers, if it comes to that, but no more bloody mercenaries please. Just people who are willing to turn up to training and put in some effort on a regular basis.
Hey Goose, ya big stud! Take me to bed or lose me for ever.
fisho mcspaz
League - Top 5

Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 111 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby fisho mcspaz » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:40 am

shoe boy wrote:

It's on AdelaideNow. It's in their stupid top 10 news items, and the Australian and Herald Sun have picked it up as well. Obviously there's a shortage of internet cat sensations or extreme selfies to turn into news. It actually isn't as bad as I thought it was when I first read it, but still, that's some publicity we could do without.
fisho mcspaz
League - Top 5

Postby Goal side » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:22 pm

Is the coach the first to go at aldinga? what other heads should be on the chopping block??
Goal side
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Meningie

Postby godra » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:32 pm

The issue at Aldinga I expect is the same as some other clubs, they find it hard to put numbers on the field.

Now some people might say go buy some good players. But the fact is, even despite the dollars being thrown at players they would still not want to play for a club that is struggling.

How anyone can fix this, I am unsure. Happy to hear any suggestions.

But with regards to the coach, he may have been able to make some difference but essentially it's the quality of the cattle your club has at its disposal. When a side has 4 or 5 genuine A grade footballers and the rest of the squad is filled with B grade players, it's going to be a hard slog.

I only hope that another defeat like this doesn't happen for the rest of the season for any teams, no one likes to see a thumping like that.
godra

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 3 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:19 pm

Dutchy wrote:http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/aldinga-sharks-sack-coach-shane-lynch-just-two-matches-into-the-southern-football-league-season/story-fnii06m0-1226878864936

Some of the comments on that article are about as intelligent as what we see on here at times.

Especially liked Dave's comment: "The person that should be sacked is the Port Noarlunga coach for running up the score. It's disgusting that they would keep kicking goals after being up by even 100, let alone 300."

:shock:

Yep it's all Manhood's fault
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby afc9798 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:22 pm

fisho mcspaz wrote:
afc9798 wrote:

It's not the league at fault, though. It's the club. Bad decisions, bad recruitment, minimal local presence and community involvement.

Ahhhhh - no more complaints. It's easy enough to write down what's wrong and what can be done to fix things, but putting ideas into practice is going to be a long, hard slog. I know a lot of Aldinga and ex-Aldinga people read this forum, so this is for you - please get behind our club. Volunteers are always needed, particularly after the first few weeks when the eager numbers begin to drop off. Players, too - the B grade needs numbers. The A grade needs numbers, if it comes to that, but no more bloody mercenaries please. Just people who are willing to turn up to training and put in some effort on a regular basis.

Good to see the passion Fisho and I don't pretend to understand the inner workings of your club, but it has pretty good facilities, a good playing surface and good numbers of juniors, which are things many other clubs would love to have. So maybe you have hit the nail on the head, in regards to the club needing more people to put their hands up and assist to develop the culture and therefore stop the player drain to GSFL or others.
afc9798
Reserves

Postby afc9798 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:25 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote:
Dutchy wrote:http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/aldinga-sharks-sack-coach-shane-lynch-just-two-matches-into-the-southern-football-league-season/story-fnii06m0-1226878864936

Some of the comments on that article are about as intelligent as what we see on here at times.

Especially liked Dave's comment: "The person that should be sacked is the Port Noarlunga coach for running up the score. It's disgusting that they would keep kicking goals after being up by even 100, let alone 300."

Yes, they should have been instructed to play dead or feign injury to make Aldinga players feel better about themselves. After all it's not about winning or losing it's how you play the game. And after the game, Porties should have provided grief counsellors to attend the home team's rooms. :roll:
afc9798
Reserves

Postby MatteeG » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:10 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote: :shock:

LOL- for once its not... 8)
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby fisho mcspaz » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:50 pm

afc9798 wrote:
Look Good In Leather wrote:

Yes, they should have been instructed to play dead or feign injury to make Aldinga players feel better about themselves. After all it's not about winning or losing it's how you play the game. And after the game, Porties should have provided grief counsellors to attend the home team's rooms. :roll:

I wasn't sure if Dave was taking the piss or not - it's a bit hard to tell with AdelaideNow posters. They're a special breed all right.
fisho mcspaz
League - Top 5

Postby King » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:04 pm

afc9798 wrote:
jumbo20 wrote:Tough on Aldinga Coach?

Sadly when you have a 300 point loss, there's no redeeming features of your club's performance and they can't see it getting any better, then you're going to get it in the neck. The question is who would want to coach that side? :oops:

Dicky Hunter???????????????
King
Under 16s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 14 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Mister Footy » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:54 pm

godra wrote:The issue at Aldinga I expect is the same as some other clubs, they find it hard to put numbers on the field.

Now some people might say go buy some good players. But the fact is, even despite the dollars being thrown at players they would still not want to play for a club that is struggling.

But with regards to the coach, he may have been able to make some difference but essentially it's the quality of the cattle your club has at its disposal. When a side has 4 or 5 genuine A grade footballers and the rest of the squad is filled with B grade players, it's going to be a hard slog.

I only hope that another defeat like this doesn't happen for the rest of the season for any teams, no one likes to see a thumping like that.

Would playing in Div 2 make this better for Aldinga - more even competition less big beltings week in week out? The only other option I can reasonably see is to merge.

Now before all the hysterics start about "losing our club identity" etc think about it - what is your club identity like now? Especially after the bad press you have unfortunately copped this week. You have some decent junior sides where some clubs are starting to struggle here. You have great facilities and not all clubs have that.

Wouldn't Aldinga and some of the other clubs that are struggling (Lonsdale fits in this category) rather see part of there history preserved as opposed to folding altogether because you can't get players to play for you?

I don't want to continually go on about this but some clubs need to get there head out the sand and plan for the future. I am not saying everyone at your club is in denial but there must be some that are. I know that if HV were in that spot I wouldn't want to see them fold completely - hell I'd even support a merge with the bush pigs to stop that happening (sorry Dutchy)
Mister Footy
Under 18s

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 28 times

Postby Backliner » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:26 pm

fisho mcspaz wrote:
afc9798 wrote:

Hi Fisho, happy to come and support the club but I'm tired of being part of the SFL DIV 1 to be honest, just my own opinion. I was part of the team that didn't win an A grade game for 3 years from 2003 - 2005 and was lucky enough to be part of the first win with your other half when Shane first took over as coach in 2006, was a huge relief winning an A grade game after 3 years of being pumped each week, sometimes playing both grades, Shane Lynch and Russell Hart as well as all the other Blackwood/Henley recruits helped get the club out of a rut. For me to see the same thing happen again is disappointing and I feel for the guys but this path is well worn. We have had crisis meetings over the last 12 years with votes on going to Hills country league being defeated and people with Grand plans on being a Div 1 SFL club. I have no problem with this as long as the people passionate about being in Div 1 SFL stay to help make it happen which sadly the past has shown they don't. I'm sure if the right people come along it can be done and I hope the club does move forward again but this season looks like being a long one and hopefully the young blokes can stick together for next year. Also looking at the reserves scores on the weekend doesn't look good for the league with 4 teams scoring 1 goal or less the entire game.
Backliner
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Postby fisho mcspaz » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:32 pm

Mister Footy wrote:
godra wrote:The issue at Aldinga I expect is the same as some other clubs, they find it hard to put numbers on the field.

Would playing in Div 2 make this better for Aldinga - more even competition less big beltings week in week out? The only other option I can reasonably see is to merge.

Now before all the hysterics start about "losing our club identity" etc think about it - what is your club identity like now? Especially after the bad press you have unfortunately copped this week. You have some decent junior sides where some clubs are starting to struggle here. You have great facilities and not all clubs have that.

Wouldn't Aldinga and some of the other clubs that are struggling (Lonsdale fits in this category) rather see part of there history preserved as opposed to folding altogether because you can't get players to play for you?

I don't want to continually go on about this but some clubs need to get there head out the sand and plan for the future. I am not saying everyone at your club is in denial but there must be some that are. I know that if HV were in that spot I wouldn't want to see them fold completely - hell I'd even support a merge with the bush pigs to stop that happening (sorry Dutchy)

I would support a merger if it came to that, but I'd support even more 1) a move to the GSFL; 2) employing an individual either in a coaching or advisory capacity, with substantial previous experience, and proven success/acumen as a coach, at senior football level. It should not matter which team/league they're from, as long as they fulfil those criteria.
fisho mcspaz
League - Top 5

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL