Clubs in strife

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: Clubs in strife

Postby Bombers4EVA » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:42 pm

Pag wrote:
Bombers4EVA wrote:I know and it sounds like there will always be the same conflict. Who's got the most coin to throw around. Ditts said that he believes that Amatuer clubs in Div 4 - 8 shouldnt pay players. What's your thoughts on that? Also a bloke from Salisbury jumped on the radio to give his thoughts and he said and I quote ( which i find it really hard to believe ). " No one from the Salisbury FC gets paid because they all love and enjoy the culture". What a load of rubbish. You cant tell me that a club in Div 3 doesnt pay players. Crap.
As a committee member and vice-captain of the club, I can tell you that no cash is handed to players unless they are in the best 5 that day. Don't get angry at us because we have a strong junior set-up and bring them through to senior footy. If you can find someone closer to the situation than me, feel free to let us know his/her view.

If you did any research before spouting out your crap, you'd note that we lost 3 of our top 5 in last years B&F to the Barossa comp this year. I'll give ya a hint, it's not because they all live there. This is also one of the reasosn why we have yo-yo'd between Div 3 & 4 fror 10 years, we are unable to compete financially with the top Div 3 clubs.

But don't get your frustration at being stuck in Div 6 get mixed-up with the facts...

Not frustrated at all mate. And Im not saying anything about the development of your club. I just find it hard to believe that a Div 3 club doesnt pay players. Considering that most clubs in Div 4 up all offer incentives to attract players to their club. Not trying to offend anyone on here just giving my opinion thats all. :)
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Has liked: 326 times
Been liked: 89 times

Postby Footy Chick » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:43 pm

This is supposed to be a thread about why we think clubs are in strife - NOT a forum for accusing other amateur clubs of paying millions or having a crack at non existent players for going to clubs for money.

Please stay on topic.

The old chestnut of who pays players is irrelevant here, it's been done before and quite frankly is boring.

This means you Bombers4eva :?
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:44 pm

Pag wrote:As a committee member and vice-captain of the club, I can tell you that no cash is handed to players unless they are in the best 5 that day.
That's how it should operate - incentive based only - in my opinion.. would help stop average footballers chasing an easy pay packet every week.. They'd actually have to perform!
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby Footy Chick » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:47 pm

The more important question in all of this is not who pays how much to who... but more importantly - how many clubs are actually trading insolvently at this point in time and therefore exposing all of their committee to personal financial liability?

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Postby The Informer » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:50 pm

There is 20 out of the 21 A grade players getting paid at Mawson Lakes, the other one wouldnt come across from Ingle Farm as the club couldnt match there offer
The Informer
Reserves

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Yank Man » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:52 pm

Footy Chick wrote:clubs like Kaurna and Cedars are different cases, they only were only existed for 2 or 3 years before shutting up shop.

W'ere talking longer term clubs with some history here..

StPauls OC (now resurrected) Glandore. ;)
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 317 times
Grassroots Team: Edwardstown

Postby Bombers4EVA » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:54 pm

Phantom Gossiper wrote:
Bombers4EVA wrote:Its almost pretty simple though. No paying players, more players staying loyal to their local club.

Out of curiosity, how many players would your club (Mawson Lakes) have picked up and retained if it hadn't been for the lure of a few $$?

Just to make it clear. I never said that Mawson Lakes didnt offer any incentives. Thats for the powers at be to know. I was just a player. And like I said, I know it happens. Back when I was playing full time. There werent too many playing that were getting paid. If so they are good at keeping secrets. Especially that I got along well with the players that wouldve been getting paid and they didnt slip it out at all. Alot of our players if not the majority played at / for St Pauls / Mawson Lakes because of the culture and the people involved at the club.

I know Mawson Lakes have recruited quite well over the past few years. Especially moving into Div 6. This whole topic was about clubs struggling. And considering $$$$ play a major part. All I was saying that the struggling clubs in the SAAFL wouldnt struggle as bad if players werent getting paid.
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Postby jo172 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:54 pm

Footy Chick wrote:The more important question in all of this is not who pays how much to who... but more importantly - how many clubs are actually trading insolvently at this point in time and therefore exposing all of their committee to personal financial liability?

What a curious reading of the Associations Incorporation Act
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby Footy Chick » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:57 pm

jo172 wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:The more important question in all of this is not who pays how much to who... but more importantly - how many clubs are actually trading insolvently at this point in time and therefore exposing all of their committee to personal financial liability?

What a curious reading of the Associations Incorporation Act

a valid point nonetheless - I didn't expect many people to even understand it. :lol:

Footy Chick

Postby Bombers4EVA » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:59 pm

This means you Bombers4eva :?[/quote]

My apologies Footy Chick. When the topic says "Clubs in Strife" I thought mentioning the subject on Triple M yesterday arvo would be totally relevant as they were talking about the likes of Kilburn, Brahma Lodge and how they are struggling due to player movements ( because they are getting offered $$$ ) to play elsewhere. And all I was talking about was that the SAAFL would be a better place with a no payment to players terms. Thats all. :)
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Postby heater31 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:00 pm

I wonder if all of these people on committees of clubs living dangerously are aware of their personal exposure to issues like this?

I know I am, as I'm on the management committee of a club in a delicate position but at least it is a different sport....
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby The Riddler » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:00 pm

Phantom Gossiper wrote:
Bombers4EVA wrote:Its almost pretty simple though. No paying players, more players staying loyal to their local club.

Out of curiosity, how many players would your club (Mawson Lakes) have picked up and retained if it hadn't been for the lure of a few $$?

You must underestimate my power of persuasion Phantom ;)
The Riddler
League - Top 5

Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 29 times

Postby The Informer » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:01 pm

Just to be seen near the great man brought most across
The Informer
Reserves

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 233 times

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:02 pm

The_Informer wrote:There is 20 out of the 21 A grade players getting paid at Mawson Lakes, the other one wouldnt come across from Ingle Farm as the club couldnt match there offer

:lol: :lol: Bollocks!
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby Bombers4EVA » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:02 pm

I know I played for the "Great 1" because of who he is. ;)
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Postby Jetters » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:03 pm

What's wrong with paying players if sustainable?

The committee works hard to raise $$, pay a gun good $$ to play, they help you win more games and have success, club pushes into higher divs, becomes more attractive to play/sponsor, the club makes a good return on their investment.

Its is annoying as shit though when rival clubs are gifted $$ or revenue streams without working for it.

And clubs who do it irresponsibly in the end die.
Jetters
Reserves

Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 119 times
Grassroots Team: Unley

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:04 pm

Footy Chick wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:The fact Div 5,6 and 7 clubs are paying players $250 a game or more is ridiculous.

Better have a chat to your committee then..

I don't need to. Sadly, it's just a matter of keeping up with the Joneses.
Still ridiculous.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:05 pm

Jetters wrote:Its is annoying as shit though when rival clubs are gifted $$ or revenue streams without working for it.

Dont know about gifted.. someone somewhere is always working hard to help secure those much needed funds..
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby Bombers4EVA » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:08 pm

Jetters wrote:What's wrong with paying players if sustainable?

The committee works hard to raise $$, pay a gun good $$ to play, they help you win more games and have success, club pushes into higher divs, becomes more attractive to play/sponsor, the club makes a good return on their investment.

Its is annoying as shit though when rival clubs are gifted $$ or revenue streams without working for it.

And clubs who do it irresponsibly in the end die.

I understand the point you are making. But would you agree / disagree that $$$ that are being offered to players in the SAAFL is ruining the sport? Not about loyalty, enjoying the game and playing with your mates anymore. But about how much $$$ you can get. I know I played footy to play with my mates and have fun doing so. :)
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Postby the milky bar kid » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:13 pm

The Riddler wrote:
Phantom Gossiper wrote:

You must underestimate my power of persuasion Phantom ;)

It seems Bombers4Eva is equally persuasive now he is coach. ;) :lol:
the milky bar kid
League - Best 21

Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 238 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League