Clubs in strife

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: Clubs in strife

Postby Bombers4EVA » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:14 pm

the milky bar kid wrote:
The Riddler wrote:
Phantom Gossiper wrote:
Bombers4EVA wrote:Its almost pretty simple though. No paying players, more players staying loyal to their local club.

Out of curiosity, how many players would your club (Mawson Lakes) have picked up and retained if it hadn't been for the lure of a few $$?

You must underestimate my power of persuasion Phantom ;)

It seems Bombers4Eva is equally persuasive now he is coach. ;) :lol:

Ha ha ha. No coachinh here mate. I would never be as good as my good friend Riddler.
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Has liked: 326 times
Been liked: 89 times

Postby The Riddler » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:16 pm

the milky bar kid wrote:
The Riddler wrote:You must underestimate my power of persuasion Phantom ;)

You're very very far off the mark with this one MBK :lol: :lol: :lol:
The Riddler
League - Top 5

Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 29 times

Postby Jetters » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:17 pm

Bombers4EVA wrote:
Jetters wrote:What's wrong with paying players if sustainable?

The committee works hard to raise $$, pay a gun good $$ to play, they help you win more games and have success, club pushes into higher divs, becomes more attractive to play/sponsor, the club makes a good return on their investment.

Its is annoying as shit though when rival clubs are gifted $$ or revenue streams without working for it.

And clubs who do it irresponsibly in the end die.

I understand the point you are making. But would you agree / disagree that $$$ that are being offered to players in the SAAFL is ruining the sport? Not about loyalty, enjoying the game and playing with your mates anymore. But about how much $$$ you can get. I know I played footy to play with my mates and have fun doing so. :)

Disagree
Jetters
Reserves

Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 119 times
Grassroots Team: Unley

Postby Bombers4EVA » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:18 pm

Jetters wrote:
Bombers4EVA wrote:
Jetters wrote:What's wrong with paying players if sustainable?

The committee works hard to raise $$, pay a gun good $$ to play, they help you win more games and have success, club pushes into higher divs, becomes more attractive to play/sponsor, the club makes a good return on their investment.

Its is annoying as shit though when rival clubs are gifted $$ or revenue streams without working for it.

And clubs who do it irresponsibly in the end die.

I understand the point you are making. But would you agree / disagree that $$$ that are being offered to players in the SAAFL is ruining the sport? Not about loyalty, enjoying the game and playing with your mates anymore. But about how much $$$ you can get. I know I played footy to play with my mates and have fun doing so. :)

Disagree

All good. :)
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Postby the milky bar kid » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:19 pm

The Riddler wrote:
the milky bar kid wrote:
The Riddler wrote:You must underestimate my power of persuasion Phantom ;)

You're very very far off the mark with this one MBK :lol:

So you're saying he's not that persuasive? ;)
the milky bar kid
League - Best 21

Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 238 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:20 pm

The Riddler wrote:You're very very far off the mark with this one MBK :lol: :lol: :lol:

You don't think he's as persuasive? ;) :lol:
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby Bombers4EVA » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:21 pm

Phantom Gossiper wrote:
The Riddler wrote:You're very very far off the mark with this one MBK :lol: :lol: :lol:

You don't think he's as persuasive? ;) :lol:

Not that much :D
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Postby Footy Chick » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:41 pm

Phantom Gossiper wrote:
Jetters wrote:Its is annoying as shit though when rival clubs are gifted $$ or revenue streams without working for it.

Dont know about gifted.. someone somewhere is always working hard to help secure those much needed funds..

Yep, dropping dollar coins into one armed bandits is bloody hard work. :lol:
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Postby cracka » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:45 pm

With the top 2 in each div going up each year, do many clubs lose players who don't want to play in a higher div? and maybe when clubs get relegated do some not want to play in a lower div? Would non compulsory promotion/relegation help at all in keeping players at clubs. Maybe if a clubs wins a flag (or spoon) 2 years in a row then its compulsory. Thoughts?
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 560 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Mr Beefy » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:47 pm

what happens when you got 2 clubs wanting to come up and only one going down?
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby jo172 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:48 pm

cracka wrote:With the top 2 in each div going up each year, do many clubs lose players who don't want to play in a higher div? and maybe when clubs get relegated do some not want to play in a lower div? Would non compulsory promotion/relegation help at all in keeping players ay clubs. Maybe if a clubs wins a flag (or spoon) 2 years in a row then its compulsory. Thoughts?

Funnily enough when we went up to Div 1 a few years back we actually had some blokes leave (generally fringe A Graders) because they didn't want to make the commitment to the training schedule that was put in place for us to attempt to become a Div 1 Club. I suspect they're the exception rather than the norm though.

Also, I'm pretty sure the system you're proposing is pretty much it. Any side that wins a flag can request not to be put up (it happens semi-regularly when a C Grade side wins the Div 7 flag).
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby Q. » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:16 pm

A minority get paid. I think the bigger issue is blokes not playing at all these days.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby heater31 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:24 pm

Q. wrote:A minority get paid. I think the bigger issue is blokes not playing at all these days.

Yep, I wonder if there is any drop off rate related to the increased practice of C grade games being played in the morning time slot?
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:36 pm

heater31 wrote:
Q. wrote:A minority get paid. I think the bigger issue is blokes not playing at all these days.

Yep, I wonder if there is any drop off rate related to the increased practice of C grade games being played in the morning time slot?

I enjoy the triple headers.

I'm surprised more sides haven't done like Para Hills and move games to evening time slots under lights
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby heater31 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:41 pm

Phantom Gossiper wrote:
heater31 wrote:

I enjoy the triple headers.

I'm surprised more sides haven't done like Para Hills and move games to evening time slots under lights

Well I didn't. I'd be lying if I didn't say it was a small factor in why I gave up playing at the age of 23....
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:51 pm

heater31 wrote:Well I didn't. I'd be lying if I didn't say it was a small factor in why I gave up playing at the age of 23....

Should've worked harder and pushed into the B grade then ;) :lol:

I like PNU's setup for triple headers - they play the C grade after the A grade in the evening
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby Bombers4EVA » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:58 pm

I played in a C grade game against Fitzroy a few years ago under lights at their ground. Atmosphere was huge and it was a good experience. But saying that, it does give the home club the advantage to drop B grade players into the c grade to improve their side. Especially for teams needing to win to play finals.
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Postby jo172 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:07 pm

Bombers4EVA wrote:I played in a C grade game against Fitzroy a few years ago under lights at their ground. Atmosphere was huge and it was a good experience. But saying that, it does give the home club the advantage to drop B grade players into the c grade to improve their side. Especially for teams needing to win to play finals.

Erm? Doesn't said advantage always exist to some extent?
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby Footy Chick » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:07 pm

Phantom Gossiper wrote:
heater31 wrote:Well I didn't. I'd be lying if I didn't say it was a small factor in why I gave up playing at the age of 23....

Should've worked harder and pushed into the B grade then ;) :lol:

I like PNU's setup for triple headers - they play the C grade after the A grade in the evening

Our C graders would never stand for having to remain sober for so long on a Saturday :lol: ;)
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:09 pm

Bombers4EVA wrote:I played in a C grade game against Fitzroy a few years ago under lights at their ground. Atmosphere was huge and it was a good experience. But saying that, it does give the home club the advantage to drop B grade players into the c grade to improve their side. Especially for teams needing to win to play finals.

Was that when you were playing for Para Hills? ;)

Every club will do what they feel is needed to get the most success they can, if you can afford to have players playing below their ability and get away with it then good on you, dont see an issue with it.
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League