Great Southern Football League

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: Great Southern Football League

Postby BJ Ernest » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:42 am

field of dreams wrote:Wi 5-11 d MC 3-11.... on such a beautiful day?

Ugly game of footy FOD. Obviously Hoban winning the bulk of the taps and doesn't put the ball outside of a metre from the contest, where Compass get plenty of numbers to the area and create a very contested style of game. Bit of breeze and both sides missed some easy shots at goal throughout the day.

Both sides had their chances to take the points, not one for the memory bank!
BJ Ernest
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times
Grassroots Team: Willunga

Postby jackpot jim » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:38 pm

Keyser Soze wrote:
BJ Ernest wrote:Pongy - Tight game, tigers very unknown to me and Pongy have Pato :)
Bays - Covered major losses reasonably well. Creeks with Benny Moore back but still needing a big ruck and not sure if some key players are still there or not. Mcgregor a huge out, Derham and Kellock still there?
Strath - Missed the GF by 5 goals last year against the Bays, add Sam and Marc Elliot, the Batson Brothers and Peglar with only big loss being Simounds sees them rise up to favourites. Victor with massive outs, but youth and excitement built around Iljo and Tarqs will see them competitive still.
Willunga - Compass rolled us at home last year, Pinyon kicked 9. No Pinyon for them and some good recruits to the club this year I'd like to think the Dees can get the points at home first up!
McLaren - Game of the round! Mclarens been steadily improving under Gary, Young side, needed to get some height and did that with Paz and Billings, still have Mutton and Laffin and a solid midfield. Goolwas strength will be mids and fwds, will take a little time to settle down.

Great to see McGregor named for Eagles league team hope he has a good year.

McGregor off to a flying start for the Eagles kicking 6 of their 12 goals and named 3rd best.

Interesting to see Ben Warren at E.Bay Saturday. Was available to play for the Creeks but they chose not to select him. :?

I know its only 1 game but the Bays would have to improve markedly to defend their title this year on that effort.
Predicting the Creeks will be in the mix for 3rd / 4th spot
jackpot jim
Coach

Has liked: 339 times
Been liked: 448 times

Postby The Yetti » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:53 pm

Good game at McLaren Vale Oval on Sat.
Goolwa missed some chances.
Perhaps lacking some depth.
I was surprised at their best player list. Number 6 and 18 were very good. ...not named and by far their best was Josh Vick who must be 32 ....played like a youngster.
Best disciplined Goolwa side I have seen in the last 10 years or so
Battle between the big guys was fantastic. Parry has a huge female fan base after just a trial and one real game.
Great to see McLaren start with wins in all grades
Myponga on top...WOW
SO MANY IDIOTS
SO FEW BULLETS
The Yetti
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: McLaren

Postby The Yetti » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:57 pm

BJ Ernest wrote:
field of dreams wrote:Wi 5-11 d MC 3-11.... on such a beautiful day?

Ugly game of footy FOD. Obviously Hoban winning the bulk of the taps and doesn't put the ball outside of a metre from the contest, where Compass get plenty of numbers to the area and create a very contested style of game. Bit of breeze and both sides missed some easy shots at goal throughout the day.

Both sides had their chances to take the points, not one for the memory bank!

How much did Willunga miss Brown and Portlock?
2 of the very best at Willunga
SO MANY IDIOTS
SO FEW BULLETS
The Yetti
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: McLaren

Postby field of dreams » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:18 pm

jackpot jim wrote:
Interesting to see Ben Warren at E.Bay Saturday. Was available to play for the Creeks but they chose not to select him. :?

Clearance not finalised according to SP site.
field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 78 times

Postby LuvsFooty » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:29 pm

The Yetti wrote:Good game at McLaren Vale Oval on Sat.
I was surprised at their best player list. Number 6 and 18 were very good. ...not named and by far their best was Josh Vick who must be 32 ....played like a youngster.
Battle between the big guys was fantastic. Parry has a huge female fan base after just a trial and one real game.
Myponga on top...WOW

Fair summation of the game. No. 6 is Rugolo so that's probably what we expect from him as a standard and 18 is Kelly who we thought probably just blazed away a bit at time. It was a good game to watch and parry and mieklejohn are monsters. How big are they and how well do they both move?? It was worth the $6 watching those 2. i noticed a lot of netballers waiting at the player entrance!!I think you nailed it with our depth. Lees and Jurek already out plus another 4 others this week including the blokes mentioned above. A few of the young fellas in the b's will just have to step up.
You can love football, but it wont always love you back!
LuvsFooty
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 17 times

Postby Keyser Soze » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:49 pm

LuvsFooty wrote:
The Yetti wrote:Good game at McLaren Vale Oval on Sat.
Myponga on top...WOW

Fair summation of the game. No. 6 is Rugolo so that's probably what we expect from him as a standard and 18 is Kelly who we thought probably just blazed away a bit at time. It was a good game to watch and parry and mieklejohn are monsters. How big are they and how well do they both move?? It was worth the $6 watching those 2. i noticed a lot of netballers waiting at the player entrance!!I think you nailed it with our depth. Lees and Jurek already out plus another 4 others this week including the blokes mentioned above. A few of the young fellas in the b's will just have to step up.

Great win by McLaren and could be the big improver this season, alot quicker than Goolwa who would be disappointed as they are spending alot of $$$ to win those games.

Looks like Yank could really struggle this year in a comp that has been very even in recent years.
Keyser Soze
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 10 times

Postby Yank Man » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:33 pm

Yes, gunna be a long year for Yank me thinks. That said Mypo are building a good group.
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 317 times
Grassroots Team: Edwardstown

Postby words of wisdom » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:45 am

Yank Man wrote:Yes, gunna be a long year for Yank me thinks. That said Mypo are building a good group.

Been building for a few years now - our 21 is a solid unit but depth is still an issue. Injuries could turn things pear shape real quick as they did last year.
words of wisdom
League - Best 21

Been liked: 19 times
Grassroots Team: Mt Burr

Postby Yank Man » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:33 pm

words of wisdom wrote:
Yank Man wrote:Yes, gunna be a long year for Yank me thinks. That said Mypo are building a good group.

Been building for a few years now - our 21 is a solid unit but depth is still an issue. Injuries could turn things pear shape real quick as they did last year.

I thought you had a good group 2013 and just needed a quality forward.

You've got some really good kids, how far away are they to be your future depth?
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Postby words of wisdom » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:46 pm

Yank Man wrote:
words of wisdom wrote:

You've got some really good kids, how far away are they to be your future depth?

Depth has always been the issue with us. We've got some good kids coming through over the next few years which will hopefully solve that.
words of wisdom
League - Best 21

Postby Yank Man » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:30 pm

words of wisdom wrote:
Yank Man wrote:
words of wisdom wrote:

Depth has always been the issue with us. We've got some good kids coming through over the next few years which will hopefully solve that.

Just out of interest and nothing else, Aldinga are clearly struggling in SFL, have you considered maybe a merge, I know you've picked up some of their kids and you're really close to each other. I know they are pretty proud but Clay has a lot to offer and surely they would be much better off in GSFL but clearly wouldn't survive on their own. Just a thought.
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Postby words of wisdom » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:38 pm

We really don't need to merge. The only grade we're short on kids is the mini's but we have 35+ modies. We're pushing kids up so they don't miss out on a game in the 17's to senior footy. Had 2 play A grade on the weekend & 1 in the B's. Merge & kids will miss out. No offence to Aldinga but what benefit would it bring? The clubs financially the best it's ever been & we're building a new community gym & footy change rooms in the next 18 months or so.
words of wisdom
League - Best 21

Postby field of dreams » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:44 am

2014 player points are listed on the GSFL site: http://www.foxsportspulse.com/assoc_pag ... sID=199681

I could be wrong but on the whole it seems most sides are carrying less points players than in the past maybe?

Victor's side against Strath totalled -3 points (played 3 colts).
field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 78 times

Postby words of wisdom » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:23 pm

field of dreams wrote:2014 player points are listed on the GSFL site: http://www.foxsportspulse.com/assoc_pag ... sID=199681

I could be wrong but on the whole it seems most sides are carrying less points players than in the past maybe?

Victor's side against Strath totalled -3 points (played 3 colts).

Our total was 6 points, 2 colts played.

Tips
Round 2 April 12th
Victor Harbor V McLarens - Mclarens by 20 points
Goolwa-Pt Elliot V Encounter Bay - Goolwa by 10 points
Yankalilla V Strathalbyn - by plenty
Langhorne Ck V Willunga - Willunga by 10 points
Mt Compass V Myponga-Sellicks - Mypo by 5 points
words of wisdom
League - Best 21

Postby LuvsFooty » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:50 pm

Doesn't seem like any clubs this year will have genuine A Graders playing b's for most purposes. Most have recruited up to or below their limits and not beyond.

Tips

Mclaren - 45 points
Hate to say it but Bays - 30 points
Pongy/compass draw
Creeks - 7 points
Strath - 67 points
You can love football, but it wont always love you back!
LuvsFooty
League - Best 21

Been liked: 17 times

Postby Yank Man » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:58 pm

LuvsFooty wrote:Doesn't seem like any clubs this year will have genuine A Graders playing b's for most purposes. Most have recruited up to or below their limits and not beyond.

Tips

Mclaren - 45 points
Hate to say it but Bays - 30 points
Pongy/compass draw
Creeks - 7 points
Strath - 67 points

Yeah the depth in most clubs, apart from the obvious looks a bit thin this year LF

Victor at home in a close one
Magpies to win, play well at home and Lister? Hope he's in
Strath but don't play Tigerland that well
Creeks at home, flag faves for mine
Mypo over Compass, close one but love the way the Larks are building :)
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Postby PK12 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:16 pm

Victor harbour had a spectator run out on the field yesterday and start shaping up to two of mclarens key forwards! Credit to the victor players telling him to get off the field and another spectator dragging him off the field but a terrible look for the football club when he was drinking in the club after the game! The same group of guys in the pocket provide some good banter from the sidelines every time we play at victor but when one comes onto the field like that it could get nasty quite quickly! Hopefully victor act and get those lads in line or get rid of them!
PK12

Been liked: 4 times

Postby WellPlayed#9 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:41 pm

Bloody hell the best player pickers at Strath are a hard bunch! Bloke kicks 12 goals and doesn't rate a mention!
Football aint for the faint hearted, anonymous blogging is!
WellPlayed#9

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Tanunda

Postby Lead out chest mark » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:54 pm

To bag 12 an not even a look in for 6th that's a bit rough !! I see Myles warmington booted 7 for the meningie bears a big loss for yankalilla
Lead out chest mark
Mini-League

Has liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Karoonda

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy