Cossies back!

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Cossies back!

Postby Dragon74 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:43 am

Cossie article in today's Advertiser makes a brief mention about Head being re-signed.
Dragon74
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Shark_Hunter » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:01 pm

Bit worried there might not be room for Kelvin Smith. 560+ runs at 93 in Grade cricket and also averaged 40+ at Premier League. 4 tons across the two comps including 2 x 150+. Not too many players have pulled in those kind of stats in recent seasons.

Would be a massive shame to lose him interstate, next season could really be a breakthrough year for him.
Shark_Hunter
Under 16s

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 27 times

Postby heater31 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:02 pm

Shark_Hunter wrote:Bit worried there might not be room for Kelvin Smith. 560+ runs at 93 in Grade cricket and also averaged 40+ at Premier League. 4 tons across the two comps including 2 x 150+. Not too many players have pulled in those kind of stats in recent seasons.

Would be a massive shame to lose him interstate, next season could really be a breakthrough year for him.

Well Hobart were keen on him for the BBL last season.....
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Footy Smart » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:31 pm

Shark_Hunter wrote:Bit worried there might not be room for Kelvin Smith. 560+ runs at 93 in Grade cricket and also averaged 40+ at Premier League. 4 tons across the two comps including 2 x 150+. Not too many players have pulled in those kind of stats in recent seasons.

I wouldnt be to worried re Kelv, what he is 19? I think his time will come, he will replace Klinger in the next year or so depending on how long he wants to keep going.

Unfortunatley his College commitments have held him back slightly. He needs another solid year to really get his name forward IMO and I doubt a state would take him on the back of 6 good grade games.

If he cant see a way in at the end of next year and he smashes Grade Cricket/Futures up then he may look for another state.
Footy Smart
Coach

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 118 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby tigerpie » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:36 pm

The good thing is that him coming back puts more pressure on the top 6 incumbents. One has to go to fit him in...pun intended!
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby westcoastpanther » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:55 pm

If these kids are good enough they will force their way in. Is this how it works these days when you've got talent, look at the list, nup I can't get a spot there I better move to a state that will gift me a spot. Give me a bloody break
Hi, My name is Ron 'Bluey' Dunn. Did you know I played in the 61 & 62 Tasman Premiership sides....
westcoastpanther
Coach

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 150 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby bennymacca » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:58 pm

westcoastpanther wrote:If these kids are good enough they will force their way in. Is this how it works these days when you've got talent, look at the list, nup I can't get a spot there I better move to a state that will gift me a spot. Give me a bloody break

I'm glad you never had to change your place of employment for what you perceived as a better opportunity for career progression.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby westcoastpanther » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:00 pm

bennymacca wrote:
westcoastpanther wrote:If these kids are good enough they will force their way in. Is this how it works these days when you've got talent, look at the list, nup I can't get a spot there I better move to a state that will gift me a spot. Give me a bloody break

I'm glad you never had to change your place of employment for what you perceived as a better opportunity for career progression.

Dumb post^

I've done it, but only because my current employer couldn't offer me anything higher. All States offer the same thing, the chance to play First Class Cricket. It's just whether you want to earn your chance and improve whilst doing it, or take the easy option.
Hi, My name is Ron 'Bluey' Dunn. Did you know I played in the 61 & 62 Tasman Premiership sides....
westcoastpanther
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:08 pm

Lol what do you think first class cricket is over district cricket? What are you on about?
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:12 pm

bennymacca wrote:Lol what do you think first class cricket is over district cricket? What are you on about?

What he is getting at (if i'm not mistaken) is that with employment, people move on because they cant climb the ladder any further and stagnate or move to earn more money.

With cricket, if you are good enough then knuckle down and the rewards will come, packing up and moving to another state that might be easier to get a game sounds a little like taking the easy way out.
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby westcoastpanther » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:23 pm

Phantom Gossiper wrote:
bennymacca wrote:Lol what do you think first class cricket is over district cricket? What are you on about?

What he is getting at (if i'm not mistaken) is that with employment, people move on because they cant climb the ladder any further and stagnate or move to earn more money.

With cricket, if you are good enough then knuckle down and the rewards will come, packing up and moving to another state that might be easier to get a game sounds a little like taking the easy way out.

Correct PG
westcoastpanther
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:27 pm

yes, but if you are the 7th best batsman in the country, but the 6 best all play for your state (an exaggeration, but you get my point) then surely it would be in his interests to move state where increased opportunities would allow him to develop his cricket further?

for the record, im not saying smith should move, dont really know enough about it, but i am just taking particular issue with the notion that moving states is somehow taking the easy route, particularly when a very significant proportion of our test team has moved state to pursue further opportunity.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby heater31 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:32 pm

Ok here is how I see it. With Kelvin Smith it could be seen a an opportunity as he has played a couple of Shield games but never really cemented his spot in the team. He might see an opportunity to get a spot like that.

Travis Head if he was to move states it would be seen as the easy option because he was established at First Class level but suffered a form slump and was dropped. Then wanted out straight away without trying to force his way back in.
heater31

Postby westcoastpanther » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:38 pm

bennymacca wrote:yes, but if you are the 7th best batsman in the country, but the 6 best all play for your state (an exaggeration, but you get my point) then surely it would be in his interests to move state where increased opportunities would allow him to develop his cricket further?

At both of their ages, how do they know how good they are. I have no problem with 24+ blokes going if they can't get a look in. No real loss to SA cricket if they can't get a gig but can get a go somewhere else, the Klinger's of the game need this.

When your young, which they both are in cricket terms, and have so much ability, taking the easy option may not be the best long term. CA would love to see someone like Smith dislodge Ferg from the side and make big runs.
westcoastpanther
Coach

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:41 pm

Smith is only a kid still though, plenty of time. Wasnt he part of the AUS 19's this summer as well? I'm sure he is right in the thoughts of SACA, just a matter of waiting until the time is right.

It's cricket not footy, dont have to be playing (and dominating) state cricket before you're 20 to be considered a decent player and have a long career
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby bennymacca » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:42 pm

Of course. But if tassie offered him a full time contract how could he turn that down in favour of playing district cricket for a couple more years? That's not taking an easy way out it is looking out for your career. And state plus BBL contract, combined with maybe a county deal makes these guys professional cricketers these days.

The easy option would be gong to play in the country and get on the cans instead of buckling down (thinking of footballers in that instance)
bennymacca
Coach

Postby heater31 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:46 pm

bennymacca wrote:Of course. But if tassie offered him a full time contract how could he turn that down in favour of playing district cricket for a couple more years? That's not taking an easy way out it is looking out for your career. And state plus BBL contract, combined with maybe a county deal makes these guys professional cricketers these days.

The easy option would be gong to play in the country and get on the cans instead of buckling down (thinking of footballers in that instance)

Could get himself a career sorted once his cricket career is finished whilst he waits.....

Sam Raphael did this and had a full time job in the real world before he became a first class cricketer.

Dan Cullen on the other hand finished school and went straight into cricket. Now trying to catch up with a career outside of cricket.
heater31

Postby bennymacca » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:45 pm

heater31 wrote:
bennymacca wrote:Of course. But if tassie offered him a full time contract how could he turn that down in favour of playing district cricket for a couple more years? That's not taking an easy way out it is looking out for your career. And state plus BBL contract, combined with maybe a county deal makes these guys professional cricketers these days.

Could get himself a career sorted once his cricket career is finished whilst he waits.....

Sam Raphael did this and had a full time job in the real world before he became a first class cricketer.

Dan Cullen on the other hand finished school and went straight into cricket. Now trying to catch up with a career outside of cricket.

i know this is definitely a first world problem but for sub-elite cricketers like cullen, and most other shield cricketers for that matter, trying to make it into the big time, it would be extremely difficult, as the training requirements are almost the same as the elite cricketers but nowhere near the renumeration.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby heater31 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:12 pm

bennymacca wrote:
heater31 wrote:

i know this is definitely a first world problem but for sub-elite cricketers like cullen, and most other shield cricketers for that matter, trying to make it into the big time, it would be extremely difficult, as the training requirements are almost the same as the elite cricketers but nowhere near the renumeration.

Plenty of down time to study an open university course both in season and during the winter. Footballers manage to study around their training requirements

And $60,000 base salary to play cricket is a very comfortable wage. Match payments are on top of your base salary if you have a contract or upgraded contract.

If you are on base salary and play the majority of the shield games your total earnings is pushing $100,000 before tax.
heater31

Postby bennymacca » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:16 pm

yeah, not saying it is impossible, but it you are effectively putting your future career on hold for a crack at the big time. not saying that it is a bad thing or whatever.
bennymacca
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket