Crows reserves supporters

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Crows reserves supporters

Postby bennymacca » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:30 am

to be honest, now it is ingrained in me, so there is no way i would follow anyone else but the crows.

BUT, if it was a sport that i only have a passing interest in? Say European soccer, where i kind of like everton because i like when tim cahill played there, but i really have no idea - im sure if i moved close to a different club i would start following them.

probably similar to a lot of "VFL" supporters. They probably followed one team as a way to have a passing interest in the VFL, but were never fully invested in the VFL like they were in the AFL. but a new club in their own backyard would certainly make a difference.

probably depends on how invested you were in the VFL pre crows era

Wedgie wrote:I know I'm not a Crows or Power fan but If I had to move to Geelong I'd kill myself. Does that help?

LOL
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Wedgie » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:39 am

In all seriousness though, when a Rugby League team started here I didn't even consider going for the Adelaide Rams, I remained loyal to the Canberra Raiders. I follow Central Coast Mariners in the A-League as they had more of an affinity with my previous side (Adelaide City) than any other club did. If a Super 15s side started here I would continue to follow the NSW Warratahs. If an EPL side started here I would remain a Tottenham fan. If a NFL side started here I would remain a Bengals fan, if a NBA side started here I would remain a Philadelphia 76ers fan. And up until the last 6 months I've never lived anywhere near Prospect but certainly didn't consider following closer sides like Glenelg, West or South.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby whufc » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:54 am

I'm pretty much the same all the teams I support now I will support to the day I die, the only change I could ever possible see (but it would never happen) is that if the A-League had a side from out Elizabeth way I would probably start to support them.

When the A-league came in there was no way I was going to support Adelaide as I couldn't stand Ross Aloisi, Carl Veart, Aurelio Vidmar, John Kosmina and the marque player was probably the most under whelming of the lot.

I did try and support the Adelaide rams I don't support an NRL club but due to being fairly young I couldn't get to many games and couldn't build any connection (though I did go to their first ever game)

When it came to the VFL/AFL I never really supported a side as i personally find it hard to support a team if I don't have some form of family/origin connection but I have always enjoyed watching the best footballers in the country and do enjoy watching games that involve big crowds and big atmospheres. I did try and jump on the Gold Coast bandwagon when they came in but I did have no real reason to support them other than they were a new side.

Not many of my dogs mate jumped on the Crows, Centrals didn't have a very big representation in the side and supporting a club week in week out which was full of Glenelg players that we generally disliked didnt seem natural. Me and a few mates went to the Adelaide Essendon first trial game with our parents, we had the intention if supporting the crows but very quickly found ourselves preferring Derek Kickett (ex Centrals and spent a fair hit of time hanging around eastern park)

I'm the same with the American sports I really enjoy watching them but have no teams I support. I don't have any affinity or any connection to any American cities or places. I tend to just enjoy watching teams for their story eg, OKC in the NBA finals the other year, I really enjoy watching RG3 at Washington so I take an interest in them but if he left I would lose interest in them
Last edited by whufc on Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby JK » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:02 pm

Wedgie wrote:
StrayDog wrote:
bennymacca wrote:
for what its worth i can also see the logic of people switching to a local SA team when the crows and power came into the AFL. I also understand why others might not have wanted to change, but to say they think it is illogical is just blatantly stupid. but not unexpected given this forum.

Question for Adelaide based followers of the two Adelaide based AFL entities:-

Say you had to permanently move to another spot on the mainland, let's say Geelong. Who would you follow, and why? I'd be most interested to hear from that portion that have already dropped allegiance for a Melbourne based side to follow Adelaide or the Power.

(A touch off topic but a bit of license if I may.)

I know I'm not a Crows or Power fan but If I had to move to Geelong I'd kill myself. Does that help? :lol:

Really? I've always loved Geelong. Spent a lot of time there in my 20's (ok a fair while ago now :oops: ) and always enjoyed the town
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby JohnnyG » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:33 pm

I'm a Crows member with a season ticket and also a South Adelaide member with a home & away season ticket.
I supported the option of both Crows & Power reserves teams in the SANFL as a better option than the previous one where the players were shunted off to all SANFL clubs, however, I do believe that the best way to go would be for the AFL to run a standalone AFL reserves competition (leaving the 8 genuine clubs in the SANFL.

I attend all Crows AFL games plus all South Adelaide games plus Crows SANFL games if not clashing with South games. Obviously, I remain a passionate South supporter in the SANFL above all else with the Crows reserves being my "2nd side" :)

If I moved to Geelong in that hypothetical mentioned above, then I would retain my strong Crows allegiance.
JohnnyG
Rookie

Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 12 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby bennymacca » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:55 pm

JohnnyG wrote:]
I supported the option of both Crows & Power reserves teams in the SANFL as a better option than the previous one where the players were shunted off to all SANFL clubs, however, I do believe that the best way to go would be for the AFL to run a standalone AFL reserves competition (leaving the 8 genuine clubs in the SANFL.

exactly my thoughts too.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Psyber » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:46 pm

I followed Norwood and the Crows, and to some extent Port, for all the 10 years I lived in Melbourne.
I even had the Sunday Mail delivered to my home in Melbourne before I could get an Internet connection.

Now, I have a slight interest in the Crows or Power reserves, some in their AFL teams, and much more in Norwood.
I would, also, like to see the two reserves teams in an AFL reserves competition instead of the SANFL.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Mic » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:04 pm

The atmosphere was poor on Sunday with the crowd all cheering for the same team. It was like a Crows (AFL) game.
Mic
League - Top 5

Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 144 times

Postby topsywaldron » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:47 pm

Mic wrote:The atmosphere was poor on Sunday with the crowd all cheering for the same team. It was like a Crows (AFL) game.

Now that's funny and sadly ironic all at the same time.

Hopefully a Crowz reserves supporter, yeah right, complains about the lack of atmosphere at games.
'People are not stupid. They know when they are being conned. And two reserves teams operating in a League competition will reduce it to a farce, a competition without a soul.'

Dion Hayman 24th July 2013
topsywaldron
Veteran

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 218 times

Postby StrayDog » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:58 am

Wedgie wrote:I know I'm not a Crows or Power fan but If I had to move to Geelong I'd kill myself. Does that help? :lol:

I guess that goes to show that there's always an extra option or two for those willing to think outside the cube. :D

To all who responded to my previous post, thanks folks.
"— here I opened wide the door; —
Darkness there, and nothing more."

- Edgar Allan Poe from " The Raven "

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1132 times
Been liked: 192 times

Postby Ecky » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:51 am

I think this discussion can be summarised as follows:

Those people in Adelaide who viewed the Crows as a South Australian state team (in 1991) would have followed the Crows over any previous allegiance to a VFL club. If these people moved to Geelong they would probably still follow the Crows as they would still identify themselves as South Australian and be loyal to their "team for all South Australians".

Those people in Adelaide who viewed the Crows as just another AFL franchise who happened to be based in Adelaide probably stayed loyal to their VFL teams.
John Olsen, June 2012 wrote:"Reserves teams in the SANFL for the two AFL clubs is not negotiable.
We will not compromise the SANFL competition (with AFL reserves teams)."
Ecky
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 79 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide Lutheran

Postby westcoastpanther » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:01 pm

That is me Ecky, and I never had a strong following of a VFL side anyway.

I'm dead against the Crows having reserves though and hope my Panthers pump the shit out of them.

Panthers are my number one side, if they play at the same time as the Crows, I go to Panthers every time, no thought required.
Hi, My name is Ron 'Bluey' Dunn. Did you know I played in the 61 & 62 Tasman Premiership sides....
westcoastpanther
Coach

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 150 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby johntheclaret » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:18 am

topsywaldron wrote:
Mic wrote:The atmosphere was poor on Sunday with the crowd all cheering for the same team. It was like a Crows (AFL) game.

Now that's funny and sadly ironic all at the same time.

Hopefully a Crowz reserves supporter, yeah right, complains about the lack of atmosphere at games.

He did. Unfortunately he was complaining that there was too much atmosphere :D
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby LPH » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:50 am

And no Crow-a-metre on the scoreboard
Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
LPH
League - Best 21

Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Dogwatcher » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:24 am

JK wrote:
Wedgie wrote:
StrayDog wrote:
bennymacca wrote:
for what its worth i can also see the logic of people switching to a local SA team when the crows and power came into the AFL. I also understand why others might not have wanted to change, but to say they think it is illogical is just blatantly stupid. but not unexpected given this forum.

Question for Adelaide based followers of the two Adelaide based AFL entities:-

Say you had to permanently move to another spot on the mainland, let's say Geelong. Who would you follow, and why? I'd be most interested to hear from that portion that have already dropped allegiance for a Melbourne based side to follow Adelaide or the Power.

(A touch off topic but a bit of license if I may.)

I know I'm not a Crows or Power fan but If I had to move to Geelong I'd kill myself. Does that help? :lol:

Really? I've always loved Geelong. Spent a lot of time there in my 20's (ok a fair while ago now :oops: ) and always enjoyed the town

I went for the Crows for about two weeks in 1990. Fakery.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby therisingblues » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:38 am

Wedgie wrote:In all seriousness though, when a Rugby League team started here I didn't even consider going for the Adelaide Rams, I remained loyal to the Canberra Raiders. I follow Central Coast Mariners in the A-League as they had more of an affinity with my previous side (Adelaide City) than any other club did. If a Super 15s side started here I would continue to follow the NSW Warratahs. If an EPL side started here I would remain a Tottenham fan. If a NFL side started here I would remain a Bengals fan, if a NBA side started here I would remain a Philadelphia 76ers fan. And up until the last 6 months I've never lived anywhere near Prospect but certainly didn't consider following closer sides like Glenelg, West or South.

Just out of interest, do you get along with your neighbours?
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby SANFLnut » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:47 am

LEH wrote:And no Crow-a-metre on the scoreboard

Please get a travelling one and take it to all the Crows SANFL games. Right now it would register about 2/100 when they score a goal.
SANFLnut
Reserves

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 65 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby Wedgie » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:13 pm

therisingblues wrote:
Wedgie wrote:In all seriousness though, when a Rugby League team started here I didn't even consider going for the Adelaide Rams, I remained loyal to the Canberra Raiders. I follow Central Coast Mariners in the A-League as they had more of an affinity with my previous side (Adelaide City) than any other club did. If a Super 15s side started here I would continue to follow the NSW Warratahs. If an EPL side started here I would remain a Tottenham fan. If a NFL side started here I would remain a Bengals fan, if a NBA side started here I would remain a Philadelphia 76ers fan. And up until the last 6 months I've never lived anywhere near Prospect but certainly didn't consider following closer sides like Glenelg, West or South.

Just out of interest, do you get along with your neighbours?

Yes. Most people in Prospect seem very nice. Only been here 5 months though.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby maxyoz » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:10 pm

Glenelg fans, feel free to join me at Crows SANFL games. We need the crowd.
Punk Rooster wrote:I can't believe that a topic that is quite clearly trolling has elicited a 3 page response....
maxyoz
Under 18s

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 36 times
Grassroots Team: Kimba Districts

Postby sjt » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:21 pm

maxyoz wrote:Glenelg fans, feel free to join me at Crows SANFL games. We need the crowd.

Yes, today would be great for glenelgs membership drive. Nice work chiggy.
sjt
League - Best 21

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 59 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL