Clubs in strife

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: Clubs in strife

Postby Cohiba » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:48 pm

Phantom Gossiper wrote:
Cohiba wrote:Is that why you "deserted" a sinking ship....or was it just for the money........ :roll:

Pretty sure he left on the best of terms and explained to the club at the end of last season his plans for the future.. Was very up front and open.

Your right PG...mine was a "smart alec" response.....but suggesting the points systems is the catalyst for "Club's in Strife" is somewhat inane when pointing a finger as to reasons why Clubs fall away... whilst others stay "in the game". He was part of Club Culture that now appears to have had no vision for its long term future. Very unfortunate for those who are part of its traditions and history....but the points system is not the problem in this case IMO.
Cohiba
Reserves

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 41 times

Postby morell » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:56 pm

Mr Beefy wrote:
morell wrote:Would be interesting see their total numbers and any chnages over time though, both before and after the points system.

If anyone from the SAAFL has that data I will crunch it! :)

Assuming you are talking about player numbers, Quantity <> Quality
Of course but were talking within the context of actual raw quantity of players here. We would take anyone that can kick and catch atm, so, for us, and I would assume the other clubs being discussed, Quantity = Quality.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1141 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:58 pm

Agreed the points system isnt the reason for Kilburns struggles, but need to view each club and case on its merit and no doubt the points system has had a negative impact on several clubs in some way.

As previously noted, suddenly fringe A graders are being targeted from other clubs and cash thrown at them because they are zero pointers.
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby HH3 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:01 pm

How will the points system effect them in recruiting new players now? Will it hinder getting players to the club? Or will there be allowances to allow for more recruits?
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Bombers4EVA » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:11 pm

Get rid of the points system and paying players and all will be good.
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Has liked: 326 times
Been liked: 89 times

Postby morell » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:24 pm

Bombers4EVA wrote:Get rid of the points system and paying players and all will be good.
Those two things are definitely factors, but they 2/10s of the overall picture.

Player apathy
Work/Sport Quandary
Competition from other sports
Time poor lifestyles
Geography
Demographics
Club density

etc

It's a complicated story.
morell
Coach

Postby Browny25 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:32 pm

Bradman wrote:Would hardly say went to town on brahma and kilburn. What was said is you can't always be at the top....someone has to finish bottom and when it's your turn you accept it. Doesn't matter how strong the losses are. Rosie's went through it and no one complained, we went with what we had. Kilburn are now seeing what neglecting juniors do and putting everything into an a grade side only. You can't cry poor when things turn sour! Brahma lodge went with payney and he had a fair following of players....he bought most to the club... And had very good success for 3 or 4 years...did the club think they were all going to stay when he left?? Unfortunately for them they didn't....so now they should go through hard times, not ask to drop down grades. That's my opinion, others will think different and say no point getting flogged but they didn't say we should go up 2 grades cos we are too good. Goes both ways

Pretty sure Brahma will finish bottom and cop floggings each week, so whats your point?
Browny25
Coach

Has liked: 105 times
Been liked: 28 times
Grassroots Team: Brahma Lodge

Postby beeroclock » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:35 pm

Mr Beefy wrote:I think it should just be 50 junior games, regardless of age group. Clubs who have U18s will get kids that have played more than 100 games for another junior club but want to play U18s, they play 2 seasons of U18s and then they are worth 0 points to a club because they have U18s.

Pretty sure U/18s is classified as senior footy not juniors.
beeroclock
League - Best 21

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 53 times

Postby Yank Man » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:40 pm

morell wrote:
Bombers4EVA wrote:Get rid of the points system and paying players and all will be good.

Player apathy
Work/Sport Quandary
Time poor lifestyles
Geography
Demographics
Club density

etc

A-get used the the points system, the majority are in favour and it's here to stay. Yes I believe there should be more flexibility with it, maybe that will come in time.
B-get used to player payments it's here for good, times changed years ago. Smart clubs work a way to compete without throwing big $$$$ around. Be it right or wrong it ain't changing. :)
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 317 times
Grassroots Team: Edwardstown

Postby Mr Beefy » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:20 pm

beeroclock wrote:
Mr Beefy wrote:I think it should just be 50 junior games, regardless of age group. Clubs who have U18s will get kids that have played more than 100 games for another junior club but want to play U18s, they play 2 seasons of U18s and then they are worth 0 points to a club because they have U18s.

Pretty sure U/18s is classified as senior footy not juniors.

Not in the context of the APPS.
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 406 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby Cohiba » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:39 pm

HH3 wrote:How will the points system effect them in recruiting new players now? Will it hinder getting players to the club? Or will there be allowances to allow for more recruits?

Me thinks they could "lock and load" given their current plight.......again its not the points system.....recruiting is more about selling the club and its environs.....other than having no options but to open up the wallet.......And if that is the only option....buyer beware.....
Cohiba
Reserves

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 41 times

Postby morell » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:54 pm

Yank Man wrote:
morell wrote:

Player apathy
Work/Sport Quandary
Time poor lifestyles
Geography
Demographics
Club density

etc

A-get used the the points system, the majority are in favour and it's here to stay. Yes I believe there should be more flexibility with it, maybe that will come in time.
B-get used to player payments it's here for good, times changed years ago. Smart clubs work a way to compete without throwing big $$$$ around. Be it right or wrong it ain't changing. :)
I've racked my feeble mind on how to get rid of player payments (for lower divisions in particular) as I think it's having a massive derogatory impact on our sport and league. The only solutions I've ever thought of either require a massive shift in the mindset of the league, sport and its players, or a massive influx of resources to monitor and police it...or support from the state and feds:

If player x is getting income from playing sport, that should be taxed, unless I am mistaken.

Therefore, technically, players that receive said income could be audited and fined by the ATO.

If this happened enough times eventually individuals and clubs would have to begin declaring their payments.

If that then happened for long enough, then there would be records available for, say, an office of Recreation and Sport to begin putting a stamp on it, and possibly, providing some of those records to approved governing bodies, such as the SAAFL.

From there, they could put in policies and regulation to control it.

Pipe dream and perhaps draconian.
morell
Coach

Postby jo172 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:01 pm

There's a reasonable argument that player payments are not income but rather a hobby similar to umpires payments: http://law.ato.gov.au/atolaw/view.htm?d ... /ATO/00001
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:03 pm

HH3 wrote:How will the points system effect them in recruiting new players now? Will it hinder getting players to the club? Or will there be allowances to allow for more recruits?

A-graders from Div1-3 are 3 points each
B-grades from Div1-3 are 2 points each as are A-Graders from Div4 down

Unless they recruit spuds, they can bring in minimal players.

Effectively the points system only lets you tinker around the edges
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Mr Beefy » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:05 pm

Incorrect 2 and 0 and 2
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 406 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby jo172 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:05 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote:

Wrong.

B Grade players are worth nothing (apart from SANFL reserves, VFL reserves etc)
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby Look Good In Leather » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:16 pm

jo172 wrote:
Look Good In Leather wrote:Will occur over the next few seasons if the points system remains in place.

Meanwhile, I don't notice any of the Old Scholars bloc being discussed when we are talking about these "clubs in strife"

I would wager it doesn't.

The number of College sides in the top 4 divisions may increase by 1, the number of College sides in the top 2 divisions may also increase by 1. Apart from that Schools like Pultney, CBCOC, Trinity, Blackfriars, Flinders don't pose a serious threat to any of the strong clubs.

And your second point is such a logical fallacy it makes my head hurt.

In 2013 Pulteney had 534 boys enrolled
CBC 1135
Trinity 1842
Blackfriars 1005
Mercedes 591

Whilst it is not instant, that is going to make a huge difference to the average district club that may have 100-200 players in their junior ranks in a season.

In 5-10 years time, these will be power clubs unless they don't capitalise on it. Likewise clubs like Henley, TTG, Modbury, PNU and Golden Grove should be very strong.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Postby Look Good In Leather » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:17 pm

jo172 wrote:

Wrong.

Not according to the CFL regulations.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Postby morell » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:20 pm

jo172 wrote:There's a reasonable argument that player payments are not income but rather a hobby similar to umpires payments: http://law.ato.gov.au/atolaw/view.htm?d ... /ATO/00001

Pwoar, good link! I was searching for something like that.

From my viewpoint the argument is slightly different due to the fact they're umpires and are paid to essentially cover "time and materials" to be able to facilitate a broader event.

Little bit different to mercenary X going to D6 club Y and getting $400/game to do so.

Just as a quick calc, and my sums might be waaay off. Take 65 clubs. Take away the collegiates and there are 50 clubs left. I've heard ranges for footy club player payment budgets from $10,000 to $100,000. I guess we will never know, but lets pluck $25,000 as a random average.

50 clubs by $25,000 is a staggering 1.25 million dollars of missed taxable, IMO, income.

Say there are 15 players at each of the clubs that get paid. That makes 50 * 15 = 750 people rorting the system and taking advantage of every day hard working tax payers ( :D ) . Say we take a taxable income rate of 25%, that makes its (1.25M / 750 * 0.25) * 750 = $312,500 missed each year.

Over 10 years thats millions to pay for hospital beds, pensioner medicine, war memorials and toys for the kiddies! And this is just for the SAAFL, imagine the things we could build if we started taxing all the leagues!!

Paying players robs YOU of critical services and infrastructure. Vote #1 - morell in this years election.
Last edited by morell on Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
morell
Coach

Postby jo172 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:21 pm

jo172 wrote:

Wrong.

Not according to the CFL regulations.

http://www.saafl.asn.au/uploads/Pages/p ... _copy1.pdf
jo172
League - Top 5

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League