Southern Football League

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: Southern Football League

Postby fisho mcspaz » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:44 pm

Backliner wrote:
fisho mcspaz wrote:
afc9798 wrote:
fisho mcspaz wrote:F***ing hell I'd like to wring the neck of whoever put that bloody article in the Advertiser. Last thing the club needs. Didn't help Callington and won't help us.

Well much as I hate seeing this sort of publicity for thde SFL, I actually think it's a good thing for the SFL to see what a laughing stock it has the potential to be permanently if these sort of results continue. Hard to continue to bury your head in the sand when the whole of Adelaide is laughing at your league. No amount of changing age groups will address these issues.

Also heard them on 5AA this morning taking the piss out of the result. Not a good look.

It's not the league at fault, though. It's the club. Bad decisions, bad recruitment, minimal local presence and community involvement.

Ahhhhh - no more complaints. It's easy enough to write down what's wrong and what can be done to fix things, but putting ideas into practice is going to be a long, hard slog. I know a lot of Aldinga and ex-Aldinga people read this forum, so this is for you - please get behind our club. Volunteers are always needed, particularly after the first few weeks when the eager numbers begin to drop off. Players, too - the B grade needs numbers. The A grade needs numbers, if it comes to that, but no more bloody mercenaries please. Just people who are willing to turn up to training and put in some effort on a regular basis.

Hi Fisho, happy to come and support the club but I'm tired of being part of the SFL DIV 1 to be honest, just my own opinion. I was part of the team that didn't win an A grade game for 3 years from 2003 - 2005 and was lucky enough to be part of the first win with your other half when Shane first took over as coach in 2006, was a huge relief winning an A grade game after 3 years of being pumped each week, sometimes playing both grades, Shane Lynch and Russell Hart as well as all the other Blackwood/Henley recruits helped get the club out of a rut. For me to see the same thing happen again is disappointing and I feel for the guys but this path is well worn. We have had crisis meetings over the last 12 years with votes on going to Hills country league being defeated and people with Grand plans on being a Div 1 SFL club. I have no problem with this as long as the people passionate about being in Div 1 SFL stay to help make it happen which sadly the past has shown they don't. I'm sure if the right people come along it can be done and I hope the club does move forward again but this season looks like being a long one and hopefully the young blokes can stick together for next year. Also looking at the reserves scores on the weekend doesn't look good for the league with 4 teams scoring 1 goal or less the entire game.

I definitely think the Grand Plans must be shelved!! That's responsible for half the s*** that's happened, I think. There should be a clause preventing it in our constitution.

I still hear about that first win, too, by the way. Did Mr McSpaz ever tell you about the day after? He'd copped a nice concussion and had a bit of a seizure under the fluoro lights at Blackwood Woolies, came home with 2 kilos of cocktail franks, which he doesn't even eat and didn't remember buying.
Hey Goose, ya big stud! Take me to bed or lose me for ever.
fisho mcspaz
League - Top 5

Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 111 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby afc9798 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:42 am

OK onwards and upwards.

Cove v Edwardstown - Townies by 60 points
Flagstaff Hill v Noarlunga - Noarlunga by 11 points
Reynella v Hackham - Wineflies by 90 points
Morphett Vale v Aldinga - Emus by 195 points
Morphettville Park v Marion - Roos by 105 points
Lonsdale v Brighton - Bombers by 150 points
Port Noarlunga v Happy Valley - Vikings by 35 points
afc9798
Reserves

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 47 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby MatteeG » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:01 pm

Cove v Edwardstown - Townies by 12 points will be a good battle, Towns wont appreciate the smaller snakepit.
Flagstaff Hill v Noarlunga - Falcons by 11 points- Flaggies good for a half and a half last week. Build on that boys.
Reynella v Hackham - Wineflies by 70 points- Hackham to challenge early before being worn down and overrun.
Morphett Vale v Aldinga - Emus by 300 points- If Porties did a 300 point job last week, Emus wont do less.
Morphettville Park v Marion - Roos by 45 points- Rams to fight hard but Roos will use last week's close loss as a spur.
Lonsdale v Brighton - Bombers by 170 points- Long arvo for the Lions. Rain will help.
Port Noarlunga v Happy Valley - Vikings by 9 points. Will be a great contest.
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Animus » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:26 pm

I would support a merger if it came to that, but I'd support even more 1) a move to the GSFL; 2) employing an individual either in a coaching or advisory capacity, with substantial previous experience, and proven success/acumen as a coach, at senior football level. It should not matter which team/league they're from, as long as they fulfil those criteria.[/quote]

I've heard the Aldinga to GSFL talk for about 15 years now...if they think the score against Porties was big i'd hate to see what a majority of GSFL teams would kick at the moment.

Hypothetically that move would have to be a long term approach - by playing in a better, more even league with the hope that this will attract players/families/sponsors - but short term the sharks simply wouldn't be competitive so i don't see how it would change anything.

Really backing this current group of kids that are coming through and instilling club confidence & pride in them so they love the place and hang around, no matter what league or division the club is in, appears from the outside to be critical at the moment. If these kids love the club & culture that is created/provided then the future could be positive.
Animus
Under 16s

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby vics01 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:08 pm

DTH I understand Sacred Heart College are seeking advice in relation to a middle aged man stalking college boys and waving contracts around this morning near the school back gate!! How did you go??
vics01
Reserves

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times
Grassroots Team: Cove

Postby Dutchy » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:29 pm

Maybe this is a case for Aldinga to spend some $ on players to plug the gap for 3-4 years until the obvious junior talent comes thru? Otherwise you might risk losing the junior talent that I know they have worked hard from under 8's up to get.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3484 times

Postby Animus » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:04 pm

I have no idea about the finances down there Dutchy, but if they went on this path i would hope the recruits would be brought in on personality as much as football ability - solid guys to mentor the kids
Animus
Under 16s

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby fisho mcspaz » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:33 pm

Dutchy wrote:Maybe this is a case for Aldinga to spend some $ on players to plug the gap for 3-4 years until the obvious junior talent comes thru? Otherwise you might risk losing the junior talent that I know they have worked hard from under 8's up to get.

Got to have the right person to train them, though. GOT TO. We don't even need to look too far - there are a few names that spring to mind from the past players and coaches. Rather than spending the $$ on players, though, I would be more inclined to introduce a better incentive scheme for all senior players - keep the player payments to a minimum, but add, say, $100* to each player for every win. A lot of people would be unwilling to agree to that, i.e. to agree to play for less money but with the added win incentive, but those who ARE willing would be the ones we want to keep.

*I was gunna say 200 initially but let's face it, we're not playing for sheep stations.
fisho mcspaz
League - Top 5

Postby Down the Hill » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:14 pm

vics01 wrote:DTH I understand Sacred Heart College are seeking advice in relation to a middle aged man stalking college boys and waving contracts around this morning near the school back gate!! How did you go??

That may have been our Club Secretary topping up an Under 18 list that is at the mercy of the SANFL this season. He is a master at his craft. I believe the lad he was pursuing will have limited availability for Brighton but we need everyone we can get because if the majority of the 13 Under 18's we have at Glenelg or South get picked in the SANFL in a given week then we are in big trouble.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 275 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby Look Good In Leather » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:47 pm

Down the Hill wrote:
vics01 wrote:DTH I understand Sacred Heart College are seeking advice in relation to a middle aged man stalking college boys and waving contracts around this morning near the school back gate!! How did you go??

That may have been our Club Secretary topping up an Under 18 list that is at the mercy of the SANFL this season. He is a master at his craft. I believe the lad he was pursuing will have limited availability for Brighton but we need everyone we can get because if the majority of the 13 Under 18's we have at Glenelg or South get picked in the SANFL in a given week then we are in big trouble.

Sacred Heart won an U/16 premiership last year under the Brighton banner, maybe they are now trying to get them to transfer to the club properly.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby afc9798 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:11 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote:
Down the Hill wrote:

Sacred Heart won an U/16 premiership last year under the Brighton banner, maybe they are now trying to get them to transfer to the club properly.

Lighting the fire early LGIL?
afc9798
Reserves

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 47 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby mrp2626 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:17 pm

Down the Hill wrote:

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought we play club footy..... therefore a player pulling on the bomber Guernsey is then playing for his club, not school... Therefore if Morphetvale win a flag, it is NOT Wirreanda high school winning one, it is the EMU's... if Happy Valley win a flag, it is NOT the Hub high school wiining one, it is the VIKINGS.... It is regardles of where they come from.... I would imagine few if any clubs would have all or majority of the kids and/or seniors for that matter playing for them who went to the 'closest' school to them. In fact I dare say Brighton's seniors would be ONE OF the closest to 'perfect' in that regard.
mrp2626
Mini-League

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 6 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:22 pm

mrp2626 wrote:
Down the Hill wrote:

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought we play club footy..... therefore a player pulling on the bomber Guernsey is then playing for his club, not school... Therefore if Morphetvale win a flag, it is NOT Wirreanda high school winning one, it is the EMU's... if Happy Valley win a flag, it is NOT the Hub high school wiining one, it is the VIKINGS.... It is regardles of where they come from.... I would imagine few if any clubs would have all or majority of the kids and/or seniors for that matter playing for them who went to the 'closest' school to them. In fact I dare say Brighton's seniors would be ONE OF the closest to 'perfect' in that regard.

I wore a South Adelaide guernsey in a mini-league game once, can I claim I played league footy?

Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Postby mrp2626 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:27 pm

No you certainly can't..... I would say those lads played 'A" Grade footy at brighton either.....
I do apologise if I have missed the point.... perhaps you could enlighten me.....
mrp2626
Mini-League

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 6 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:53 pm

All those kids were first and foremost Sacred Heart players. Hence why we had to overhaul the entire U/16 competition to accommodate them.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Postby Numbers » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:49 pm

LGIL

Get over it! Those lads wore a Brighton jumper they are therefore Brighton players!

I would say that 95% of 14's & 16's go to 1 school or another
Numbers
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 3 times

Postby Esteban Vihaio » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:16 pm

Out of left field

Drop Aldinga A's to SFL B's and AldingaB's to SFL C's

Better for the club and comp IMO
Where's Bill? Yeah... Hmm... Bill is on the Villa Quatro, on the road to Salina. I will draw you a map.
Esteban Vihaio
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 36 times

Postby the red baron » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:27 pm

Esteban Vihaio wrote:Out of left field

Not a bad idea ev. would eliminate byes in A and B grade. Something has to be done to preserve the oldest club in the southern league.
the red baron
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: Gumeracha

Postby Broken Down Hack » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:24 pm

Dropped into the Pastie on the way hm from wk for a couple of frothies....great to see no less that over a hundred kids out there training from AUSKICK TO U/16'S ..... the clubroom packed with parents ... sausage sizzle going ... there doing something right down there..
Broken Down Hack
Rookie

Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 15 times

Postby fisho mcspaz » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:48 pm

Esteban Vihaio wrote:Out of left field

See how we go. From all accounts there was a decent turnout tonight and a positive atmosphere. Will need it tomorrow - I'd lay money the media shows up at Morphett Vale. :?
fisho mcspaz
League - Top 5

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL