Round 2 - Port Reserves v Glenelg Post Match

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Round 2 - Port Reserves v Glenelg Post Match

Postby heater31 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:41 pm

Booney wrote:My 71 year old Mother thinks it was Bob McLean who adopted it after South Melbourne began using it in '61. She thinks about 63/64.

Although, it would be difficult trying to differentiate one premiership from the other in that period.

Must have been 1963 as South were top dog in '64
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Tech1 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:37 pm

Booney wrote:Well there was 2758 at the game and the majority were supporting Port Adelaide. How you break that up to satisfy whatever it is you're after is up to you.

You had more support and so you should it was your home game but i was surprised at how many of our fans where there, it was easily the least amount of Port supporters i've seen at a home game between the two for the past five or so years. No cheers squad either this year by the looks of it.
Tech1
Rookie

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 27 times

Postby CUTTERMAN » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:03 pm

Booney wrote:
CUTTERMAN wrote:The question of a breakdown of 'Magpie' supporters and Power supporters is a very valid one as many 'Magpie' supporters have traditionally followed Collingwood, Essendon, Geelong, Carlton etc in the AFL/ VFL. Many haven't changed from that with the advent of a Port AFL franchise. So if there were hardly anyone with solely 'Magpies' clobber on you'd guess they've walked away from being lied to by those running the AFL franchise and that their SANFL club has been pimped out for other needs considered to be more important.
I had this very conversation with a Magpies supporter (who followed Essendon in the AFL) last year at the Sturt game at alberton. He was gutted and wasn't sure what he'd do this year.

In the bowling club? If so, he was there yesterday.

Yep. With a tall ranga with a banjo?
'PAFC don't want any advantages in the SANFL. It would only take away from any achievements we earned.'
Keith Thomas ABC 891 Radio, 21/6/14.
CUTTERMAN
League - Top 5

Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 124 times

Postby kneedeepinthehoopla » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:19 pm

TimmiesChin wrote:
Ted E Bear wrote:This day was always going to happen. Now its here let rip all you knockers, get it off your chest. Your time has come.
bear in mind its the other way with the crowettes

You've changed your tune in a week or so... here's a couple quotes from the Norwood/Port post match:

Ted E Bear wrote:Norwood dominated all night and the scoreboard flattered Port.
Some real pretenders in that side and they will not be a threat to the better sides this year. I never knew Renouf was such a bad player

Ted E Bear wrote:Port didn't look like kicking a goal all night.
They wont get much better either.

Pretty consistent with the rest of the drivel he contributes, chin.
Stevens has said he didn't put blokes behind the ball so as to teach the young players a lesson. Geez, tough lesson. For the players and supporters alike who made the trip out.
kneedeepinthehoopla
Under 16s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 54 times

Postby Macca19 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:55 pm

Ecky wrote:
bennymacca wrote:
Love how people can simultaneously argue that the comp is a farce both because the reserves sides are too bad AND too good.

It is actually quite logical and one of the main points I kept arguing last year. The farce comes from the VARIANCE in performances from the AFL reserves teams. There will almost certainly be weeks when they lose by 20 goals and weeks when they will win by 20 goals, all hugely dependent on
- their injury lists
- their desire to play to win (which will depend on what suits their AFL masters from week to week)

Sorry but why is this any difference to any other club? If AFL Port have a 15 man injury list this year then the Magpies will probably get very well beaten. But, if the Magpies in any of the past 20 years had a 15 man injury list, then they would have been very well beaten as well. Any team that will be forced to put half their reserves team into the league side due to injury is going to cop probably big losses.

The desire to win I don't agree with either. Port could have easily gone out there after 1/4 time and coasted to a 70 point victory without exerting any effort, or throwing the entire team arse about for the sake of development, but they didn't.
Macca19
League - Best 21

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby bennymacca » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:05 pm

Agree with your second point but your first one about injuries, port and crows will doubly feel the effects, injuries in afl+sanfl
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby RB » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:06 pm

The point is that it depends on your AFL team. Not all clubs are playing their second team in the Sanfl.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 764 times
Been liked: 1074 times

Postby kickinit » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:11 pm

bennymacca wrote:Agree with your second point but your first one about injuries, port and crows will doubly feel the effects, injuries in afl+sanfl

so your saying centrals reserves side would of still beaten norwood on the weekend?
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 95 times

Postby DOC » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:31 pm

heater31 wrote:
Booney wrote:My 71 year old Mother thinks it was Bob McLean who adopted it after South Melbourne began using it in '61. She thinks about 63/64.

Although, it would be difficult trying to differentiate one premiership from the other in that period.

Must have been 1963 as South were top dog in '64

Again....
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 729 times
Been liked: 2083 times

Postby RB » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:33 pm

kickinit wrote:
bennymacca wrote:Agree with your second point but your first one about injuries, port and crows will doubly feel the effects, injuries in afl+sanfl

so your saying centrals reserves side would of still beaten norwood on the weekend?
Centrals reserves wouldn't, and shouldn't, be playing Norwood's first 21.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 764 times
Been liked: 1074 times

Postby bennymacca » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:53 pm

kickinit wrote:

What? No, I am saying the opposite
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby portsea71 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:28 am

AFL Invades SANFL.

At club meeting we members were told it would preserve the SANFLs Integrity and the club's integrity.

What A laugh. INTEGRITY with the AFL and SANFL ! ! !
portsea71
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby dedja » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:30 am

Norwood beat Port comfortably last week and the got smashed by Central, so for those with their AFL conspiracy hats on it doesn't make sense.

The Bays were simply deplorable and Port came to play. As a 40 year Bay supporter I didn't for once 'blame' the AFL reserves situation for the loss.

I didn't see a scenario where men were playing boys, in fact it was Port's running game which destroyed the Bays, not their physical presence. Put simply, the Bays didn't work hard enough, and once the score got ugly, the situation descended into a farce.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 992 times

Postby Booney » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:38 am

It was among Glenelgs biggest ever losses, surely?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7481 times
Been liked: 10770 times

Postby dedja » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:46 am

Well now that you mention it, I believe it was the biggest ever ...
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 992 times

Postby am Bays » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:08 am

Booney wrote:It was among Glenelgs biggest ever losses, surely?

Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1807 times

Postby robranisgod » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:14 am

Your mother is out by about 10 years. It was recorded by the Port players in about 1974. I know this because a couple of mates of mine played for Port and commenced in 1974 and they took part in the recording. There was no stealing of the song from South Melbourne, South Melbourne's hierarchy suggested that Port use their song which in turn South Melbourne had got from Notre Dame College in USA. South Melbourne actually got permission from Notre Dame to use it.

Port played South Melbourne a number of times in the early 1970s in pre season trial matches.

In 1971-72 Port had a different song, the lyrics of which are in one of the Grand Final budgets from that period.

When I was very young Port used to run out onto the ground to the "Black and White" rag as played by Winifred Atwell. It sounded like the Pot Black music.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 227 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders University

Postby Ecky » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:20 am

Macca19 wrote:
Ecky wrote:
bennymacca wrote:
Love how people can simultaneously argue that the comp is a farce both because the reserves sides are too bad AND too good.

It is actually quite logical and one of the main points I kept arguing last year. The farce comes from the VARIANCE in performances from the AFL reserves teams. There will almost certainly be weeks when they lose by 20 goals and weeks when they will win by 20 goals, all hugely dependent on
- their injury lists
- their desire to play to win (which will depend on what suits their AFL masters from week to week)

Sorry but why is this any difference to any other club? If AFL Port have a 15 man injury list this year then the Magpies will probably get very well beaten. But, if the Magpies in any of the past 20 years had a 15 man injury list, then they would have been very well beaten as well. Any team that will be forced to put half their reserves team into the league side due to injury is going to cop probably big losses.

I'm very surprised you don't understand this as you seem to be a logical poster :)

For every player in Port's AFL team that gets injured/suspended/retires etc., the best Port Magpies player is replaced in the Magpies team by someone who was deemed not up to SANFL League standard the previous week. So not only is it your own SANFL League team's injuries that affect you, it is another team where you lose your best (and next best etc.) player for every injury they suffer. If you look at SANFL Reserves you see a similar effect where teams' fortunes often fluctuate greatly over a season due to League injuries, and it is much more than a doubling effect due to the "lose your best player for every AFL injury" situation.

I know I repeated myself a bit there but I am surprised that there are still regular posters on here who don't understand this after it has been mentioned many times previously in all the debate last year.
John Olsen, June 2012 wrote:"Reserves teams in the SANFL for the two AFL clubs is not negotiable.
We will not compromise the SANFL competition (with AFL reserves teams)."
Ecky
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 79 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide Lutheran

Postby UK Fan » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:41 am

Dogwatcher wrote:Trevor Hill sure does.

So does nick Duigan
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 502 times

Postby johntheclaret » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:17 pm

Are you sure it wasn't Don McLean she was thinking of ;)
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL