Southern Football League

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: Southern Football League

Postby 1919 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:57 pm

Mister Footy wrote:
Peter Griffen wrote:Some dirty stuff from the hackham boys today. That Sudanese player should be ashamed and have a nice little holiday but I'd doubt it.

Wonder if this is the same kid that got reported in a townies v valleys game a few years back?

Same name was on the Hackham team sheet................................
Rookie

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 3 times

Postby afc9798 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:42 am

1919 wrote:
Mister Footy wrote:
Peter Griffen wrote:Some dirty stuff from the hackham boys today. That Sudanese player should be ashamed and have a nice little holiday but I'd doubt it.

Wonder if this is the same kid that got reported in a townies v valleys game a few years back?

If it is the same kid, I hope someone can coach it out of him as he's actually a real talent. Would love to see more of the African lads playing our sport as they have a natural flair for it and seem to love the physical side of the game. That coupled with natural athleticism is a really strong combination potentially.
afc9798
Reserves

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 47 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby Keyser Soze » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:44 pm

Down the Hill wrote:I saw the start of the B grade game and noticed 1 player wearing a different style Aldinga jumper to everyone else and surprise surprise that player was one of the photos in the Sunday Mail. We all knew the media were going to be there so if Aldinga didn't want to look like a club in dire straits, that didn't help.

I think we have all had enough of the Aldinga 'Circus' that has continued for the last few weeks. I did say after the round 1 thumping by Hackham that the signs were bad. They say some publicity is better than no publicity but some noteworthy losses on the weekend have escaped without mention.

The Lonsdale lions effort to go down by only 45 points against Brighton without there best player in Baxter and weather wasn't a factor. Of any club the Lions would be scratching there head with all the "poor me Aldinga stories".

Port Noarlunga playing one bad quarter of footy which cost them a major boil over against Happy Valley. Didn't have Porties in the top 8 at the end of the year but I think they may prove me wrong.

and finally the improvement of Cove, lost a number of senior players over the summer but have a running game that will trouble most sides.

the next round will provide some great clashes to ultimately decide who will challenge the flies

Morphettville Park v Reynella
Morphett Vale v Brighton
Noarlunga v Cove
Port Noarlunga v Towns

lets hope the focus is not on the Aldinga v Marion game :roll:
Keyser Soze
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 10 times

Postby shoe boy » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:11 am

Any truth that the SFL are dropping a B grade side?
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby Down the Hill » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:18 am

shoe boy wrote:Any truth that the SFL are dropping a B grade side?

You normally have your finger on the pulse Shoe Boy so please explain?

Exactly half of all B grade matches played so far in 2014 (8 out of 16) have been 100 point plus margins and that is in games that go for only 80 minutes without time-on!!!
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 276 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby shoe boy » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:41 am

Down the Hill wrote:

Exactly half of all B grade matches played so far in 2014 (8 out of 16) have been 100 point plus margins and that is in games that go for only 80 minutes without time-on!!!

OK DTH my mail has that b4 this could take place the SFL will trial a 15 a side comp.
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:14 am

shoe boy wrote:
Down the Hill wrote:

OK DTH my mail has that b4 this could take place the SFL will trial a 15 a side comp.

Surely if a team was going to drop a B-Grade team we would move them to the C-Grade comp ala Hackham in 2004 or the team to be dropped should be the A-Grade team ala McLaren Vale in 1976.

If we are getting to the point where a club can only field a single senior team, then that club is obviously no longer viable in our competition and are in no way going to be able to be competitive.

We should not be altering the competition for the sake of one team.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Down the Hill » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:20 pm

The concept of B grade footy in some country leagues being played as 15 or 16 a side (like the old VFA) with a maximum of 2 or 3 interchange has merit if the majority of clubs have been struggling for several years with getting a full B grade on the park without Senior Colts players backing up. But the SFL only has a minority of clubs in that boat so it should not be a consideration in our league. I don't mind the C grade comp going down this path if the clubs agreed to it.

Whether one agrees with some or all of the FDC recommendations the most pertinent issue was the opinion that 15 clubs is not enough for a proper 2 Division model with promotion and relegation. Something I agree with.

The bigger issue now is that some clubs in this league have a very shaky future based on current senior and junior numbers plus their ability to retain what numbers they do have and their ability to replace the ones that do leave.

We keep geting told about SACFL rules not allowing an affiliated league to dis-affiliate clubs but that is a rule clearly designed for "true country" leagues where there are bigger issues surrounding the telling of a country town that your football team is no longer wanted in our league. It appears as though the SAAFL has had no issues with dis-affiliating clubs for a variety of reasons.

The ongoing feasibility of some SFL clubs is a real concern and this should be the immediate priority of the SFL and SACFL.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 276 times

Postby afc9798 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:11 pm

Down the Hill wrote:The concept of B grade footy in some country leagues being played as 15 or 16 a side (like the old VFA) with a maximum of 2 or 3 interchange has merit if the majority of clubs have been struggling for several years with getting a full B grade on the park without Senior Colts players backing up. But the SFL only has a minority of clubs in that boat so it should not be a consideration in our league. I don't mind the C grade comp going down this path if the clubs agreed to it.

Whether one agrees with some or all of the FDC recommendations the most pertinent issue was the opinion that 15 clubs is not enough for a proper 2 Division model with promotion and relegation. Something I agree with.

The bigger issue now is that some clubs in this league have a very shaky future based on current senior and junior numbers plus their ability to retain what numbers they do have and their ability to replace the ones that do leave.

We keep geting told about SACFL rules not allowing an affiliated league to dis-affiliate clubs but that is a rule clearly designed for "true country" leagues where there are bigger issues surrounding the telling of a country town that your football team is no longer wanted in our league. It appears as though the SAAFL has had no issues with dis-affiliating clubs for a variety of reasons.

The ongoing feasibility of some SFL clubs is a real concern and this should be the immediate priority of the SFL and SACFL.

Well said.
afc9798
Reserves

Postby Secondsquare » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:37 pm

I am amazed at how much the southern football league has deteriated! It use to be easily the best comp out of div1 amateurs!! It is now being talked about as being a joke ! Aldinga seem happy to be known as the team that gets flogged every week a bit like goolwa port Elliot use to be , they were flat out taking the piss out of them on the footy show and the president just laughed along , to embarrass the coach on a national stage like they did was disgraceful! He was probably only coaching them as no one else wanted to and even the new coach doesn't really want to coach them as he is an interim coach ! Not even Kevin sheedy could make there squad competitive! I can't believe that a competition based in metropolitan area can't get a b grade team together! There's towns in the country who have 30 total population but manage to field two senior teams an d 14s and 16 etc ! The southern teams whinge and bitch about losing players to country teams for money! If they fund raised more and made the clubs an environment for family's etc to hang around they might create more income to pay players! Some clubs don't even have a change table for baby's etc ! Just excepting that the players will play and then take of home and don't need to cater for people watching! Yes there are wealthy farmers but there are wealthy people at a lot of these clubs etc to ! The only top four team to improve seems to be reynella and that's prob because of premiership window! Most teams have gone backwards other than Hackham and maybe flaggies! Start excepting that a grade football anywhere is going to cost you money or keep sliding down the ranks as a competition! The new rules they are talking about next year aren't gonna solve anything !
Secondsquare

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 4 times

Postby Animus » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:52 pm

!
Animus
Under 16s

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby vics01 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:54 pm

1919 wrote:
Mister Footy wrote:
Peter Griffen wrote:
Some dirty stuff from the hackham boys today. That Sudanese player should be ashamed and have a nice little holiday but I'd doubt it.

If it is the same kid, I hope someone can coach it out of him as he's actually a real talent. Would love to see more of the African lads playing our sport as they have a natural flair for it and seem to love the physical side of the game. That coupled with natural athleticism is a really strong combination potentially.

So the reigning Premier was bullied, belted and intimated by 18 to 20 year old boys?? Yes the lad was yellow carded after committing the mortal sin of Retaliation, he is obviously yet to learn that 9 times out of 10 the retaliatory action gets caught rather than the instigator.

Maybe one who is oops sorry was an idol to the youngsters should look at his game, rather than belting 18 year old all day he should be about teaching them the game by leading them to the footy or is a case of old legs need to develop another bow ie: nasty side to his game.

What people/clubs have to remember is the Karma bus always has it's engine running and one day it will run all over you.

Came across a great comment from a young Hawk about the attitude towards the lads last weekend .

Makes me laugh how so many people think Hackham FC is nothing but dero scums just because of its past yet now the club is filled with the greatest bunch of young lads and amazing family's that want nothing more then to have a kick of the footy with their mates and and support their club.
Every single one of us players/supporters and workers at Hackham FC have all slowly but surely been making sure that the club is a welcoming and enjoyable environment for anyone who wants to come along and join the proud brown & gold and help bring the club back to its once proud and successful club days.
Also not one player at our club ever disrespects another footy club or treats players like we get treated by most 'more successful clubs atm' then we do, we are a group of younger up and coming players that are doing our best to help the club and give it a proud name again so for other clubs to keep disrespecting us and giving us no encourage or motivation to keep doing what were doing which won't stop us from moving forward anyways shows that either your all a bit scared and know eventually we will roll over every single one of use or that use all honestly have your heads up your on arses that much...
Hackham FC Loud & Proud!

WELL SAID LAD
vics01
Reserves

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times
Grassroots Team: Cove

Postby Panther32 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:49 am

vics01 wrote:
1919 wrote:
Mister Footy wrote:
Peter Griffen wrote:
Some dirty stuff from the hackham boys today. That Sudanese player should be ashamed and have a nice little holiday but I'd doubt it.

So the reigning Premier was bullied, belted and intimated by 18 to 20 year old boys?? Yes the lad was yellow carded after committing the mortal sin of Retaliation, he is obviously yet to learn that 9 times out of 10 the retaliatory action gets caught rather than the instigator.

Maybe one who is oops sorry was an idol to the youngsters should look at his game, rather than belting 18 year old all day he should be about teaching them the game by leading them to the footy or is a case of old legs need to develop another bow ie: nasty side to his game.

What people/clubs have to remember is the Karma bus always has it's engine running and one day it will run all over you.

Came across a great comment from a young Hawk about the attitude towards the lads last weekend .

Makes me laugh how so many people think Hackham FC is nothing but dero scums just because of its past yet now the club is filled with the greatest bunch of young lads and amazing family's that want nothing more then to have a kick of the footy with their mates and and support their club.
Every single one of us players/supporters and workers at Hackham FC have all slowly but surely been making sure that the club is a welcoming and enjoyable environment for anyone who wants to come along and join the proud brown & gold and help bring the club back to its once proud and successful club days.
Also not one player at our club ever disrespects another footy club or treats players like we get treated by most 'more successful clubs atm' then we do, we are a group of younger up and coming players that are doing our best to help the club and give it a proud name again so for other clubs to keep disrespecting us and giving us no encourage or motivation to keep doing what were doing which won't stop us from moving forward anyways shows that either your all a bit scared and know eventually we will roll over every single one of use or that use all honestly have your heads up your on arses that much...
Hackham FC Loud & Proud!

WELL SAID LAD

Geez Vics which team do you actually support??? Now you are out watching the Reynella v Hackham game!
Firstly why is this lad seeking support from opposition clubs?
You play the game because you love the game, you enjoy playing with mates and the ultimate goal a Premiership.
You don't play the game to get a pat on the back from the opposition!
Yes it's good to see a team that were cellar dwellers moving up the ladder but don't get big heads about it as that attitude isn't the attitude that got you where you are now.
The only time i've ever been wrong...was when I thought I was wrong!!!
Panther32
League - Best 21

Has liked: 104 times
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby ol man emu » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:19 am

Secondsquare wrote:I am amazed at how much the southern football league has deteriated! It use to be easily the best comp out of div1 amateurs!! It is now being talked about as being a joke ! Aldinga seem happy to be known as the team that gets flogged every week a bit like goolwa port Elliot use to be , they were flat out taking the piss out of them on the footy show and the president just laughed along , to embarrass the coach on a national stage like they did was disgraceful! He was probably only coaching them as no one else wanted to and even the new coach doesn't really want to coach them as he is an interim coach ! Not even Kevin sheedy could make there squad competitive! I can't believe that a competition based in metropolitan area can't get a b grade team together! There's towns in the country who have 30 total population but manage to field two senior teams an d 14s and 16 etc ! The southern teams whinge and bitch about losing players to country teams for money! If they fund raised more and made the clubs an environment for family's etc to hang around they might create more income to pay players! Some clubs don't even have a change table for baby's etc ! Just excepting that the players will play and then take of home and don't need to cater for people watching! Yes there are wealthy farmers but there are wealthy people at a lot of these clubs etc to ! The only top four team to improve seems to be reynella and that's prob because of premiership window! Most teams have gone backwards other than Hackham and maybe flaggies! Start excepting that a grade football anywhere is going to cost you money or keep sliding down the ranks as a competition! The new rules they are talking about next year aren't gonna solve anything !

Got no problem with paying players a bit of pocket money or compensate a days wages to some players.
The problem is that some clubs are paying more than a weeks pay for a bloke to keep him self fit and play a game of football.
Don't you think it is getting out of hand.
I would rather live like we are than live like encounter bay, victor harbour and Kilburn ect.
If you are happy bleeding the farmers dry and wrecking football as a sport good on you, to me that is not grass roots football.
Would much rather have players playing for the jumper than a brown paper bag full of money.

Would have thought the new rules put in place were partly to protect clubs and farmers from going broke.

The difference between my club and Reynella at the moment is Reynella have a ex A.F.L footballer who has returned to his
grass roots and is giving something back.
The last A.F.L footballer we had is still taking from us.
EMUS? the rock stars of the outback.
emus are berserk. they run fast, playhard,
and to be honest, we admire their insanity.
ol man emu
Under 16s

Been liked: 7 times
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby ol man emu » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:50 am

vics01 wrote:
1919 wrote:
Mister Footy wrote:
Peter Griffen wrote:

Hackham FC Loud & Proud!

WELL SAID LAD

Tell the LAD you have to earn respect.
Tell the LAD that the reason you get treated the way you do is because of the way your club went about recruiting players.
Tell the LAD that we don't send our juniors out to south to get poached.
Tell the LAD it has nothing to do with were our arses are.
ol man emu
Under 16s

Postby 1919 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:43 pm

vics01 wrote:
1919 wrote:
Mister Footy wrote:
Peter Griffen wrote:

Hackham FC Loud & Proud!

WELL SAID LAD

You're joking right? Would this be one of the young Hackham A grade lads that felt compelled to tell an opposition club president to "f@#$ off and mind his own business" in response to a request that the Hackham A graders mind their language around the families spectating?

DISRESPECT RIGHT THERE and Hackham FC have a hell of a long fight to loose the image you complain of while that behaviour stilll happens!!!!!
Rookie

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 3 times

Postby spot on » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:36 pm

How has Hewitt and Gaskin been going since returning to Emu land, guess they will be getting themselves pumped up for the grudge match against the Latte boys on Saturday.
It is also the 10 year reunion of the 2004 premiership against the Brighton boys, in which the emus started their great run of flags. Promises to be a big day.
spot on
Under 18s

Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 9 times
Grassroots Team: Casterton

Postby ol man emu » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:00 pm

spot on wrote:How has Hewitt and Gaskin been going since returning to Emu land, guess they will be getting themselves pumped up for the grudge match against the Latte boys on Saturday.
It is also the 10 year reunion of the 2004 premiership against the Brighton boys, in which the emus started their great run of flags. Promises to be a big day.

Gaskin has done a good pre season and is looking good. had a twinge in the hammy so didn't play against Aldinga.
Hewy is having another birthday today. Didn't have a big pre season but is in good nick. Played his 100th against Aldinga and was
brilliant and brutal in a bog performance.
Yer 10 year reunion should be a great day. Hopefully the Brighton supporters are out in force because the Emus will be.
See you there.
ol man emu
Under 16s

Postby afc9798 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:30 am

OK time for the tipping. A few good match ups this week with the Anzac Day game, Edwardstown and Porties, Emus vs Brightonb and Cove/Noarlunga looks pretty close too.

Reynella vs MVP- Reynella by 23 points
Aldinga vs Marion- Rams by 80 points despite the Cornes/McGregor influence
Edwardstown vs Pt Noarlunga- Porties by 11 points
Flaggies vs OSB- Bushpigs by 120 points
Valley vs Christies- Vikings by 40 points
Morphett Vale vs Brighton- Emus by 18 points
Noarlunga vs Cove- Noarlunga by 25 points

A few toss of the coin games there which is good to see. Good luck to all for the weekend.
afc9798
Reserves

Postby mrp2626 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:43 am

I think you're correct AFC9798....There will be a few close ones this week... If only we could see a few more weeks similar to this.
Will be quite a tussle for the top 4 come end of year I think.

Reynella vs MVP- Reynella by 11 points
Aldinga vs Marion- Rams by 65
Edwardstown vs Pt Noarlunga- Porties by 19points
Flaggies vs OSB- Flaggies by 62 points
Valley vs Christies- Vikings by 31 points
Morphett Vale vs Brighton- Bombers by 7 points
Noarlunga vs Cove- Cove by 3 points
mrp2626
Mini-League

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 6 times