Rnd 3 Post Match - Eagles v Power

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Rnd 3 Post Match - Eagles v Power

Postby RB » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:34 pm

Phantom Gossiper wrote:
SimonH wrote:Note that the Power 3rds (playing in the SANFL reserves comp) got well-beaten again—which historically would be unusual for a side dominating the SANFL league competition (their reserves might get beaten, but not consistently and/or only by small margins). The depth is not there compared with a 'real' SANFL club, which is not surprising.

I thought the 3rds was supposed to be predominately a development academy for Port? Given that's the case, surely cant expect great things early, and on top of that, if the SANFL side begins dominating then would Port look to blood some of these development kids into the league side?
And drop AFL listed players to the Sanfl reserves?
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby StrayDog » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:42 pm

Deleted.
Last edited by StrayDog on Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"— here I opened wide the door; —
Darkness there, and nothing more."

- Edgar Allan Poe from " The Raven "

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1132 times
Been liked: 192 times

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:45 pm

RB wrote:
Phantom Gossiper wrote:I thought the 3rds was supposed to be predominately a development academy for Port? Given that's the case, surely cant expect great things early, and on top of that, if the SANFL side begins dominating then would Port look to blood some of these development kids into the league side?
And drop AFL listed players to the Sanfl reserves?

Good point
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby johntheclaret » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:49 pm

Booney wrote:Here I was thinking this thread was going to discuss the Magpies and Eagles game.

Pretty sure every post match Magpies thread this season will be a waste of time.

Unfortunately so, and add any post match Crows thread as well. But I guess what else do you expect when your composite team smashes an amateur SANFL side.

Last week when the Power Reserves smashed Glenelg it was said by some that any side would have smashed them, they were so bad.
But this week your mob were playing the leagues' flag favorites and what was the stats again?? 34 scoring shots to 11.

Seems to me most true SANFL fans are right to be pissed off with what's happened.
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby Columbo » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:03 pm

Booney wrote:What teams will have to do to beat Port is deal with the defensive structure they set up. Glenelg and the Eagles have struggled to make it into the forward 50 with Port's defensive set up across the centre square / defensive 50 line. Without the ability to get the ball into Ports defensive 50 quickly, sides will struggle to score against us.

Think your whole summary is pretty spot on Booney especially the bit above. From where I sat that structure was something that the Eagles players didn't know how to deal with early on. When they moved the ball quickly during the 2nd and 3rd quarters the score was Eagles 7.2 Port 6.8. but 2 quarters against a quality opposition regardless of who it is won't win games. The last quarter it looked like the superior fitness took over, probably could have been alot worse if not for some stray kicking.
Trust the process.
Columbo
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 29 times

Postby Dutchy » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:59 pm

johntheclaret wrote:
Booney wrote:Here I was thinking this thread was going to discuss the Magpies and Eagles game.

Pretty sure every post match Magpies thread this season will be a waste of time.

Unfortunately so, and add any post match Crows thread as well. But I guess what else do you expect when your composite team smashes an amateur SANFL side.

Last week when the Power Reserves smashed Glenelg it was said by some that any side would have smashed them, they were so bad.
But this week your mob were playing the leagues' flag favorites and what was the stats again?? 34 scoring shots to 11.

Seems to me most true SANFL fans are right to be pissed off with what's happened.

Well said JTC, rightly or wrongly the new SANFL environment will deliver varying results week to week solely dependent on what the injury list of the AFL team currently is. And that fact is worth discussing week to week.

There is a chance that Port might get flogged by 100 points later in the year by the same Eagles line up, if the Power's injury list is 10+.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby RB » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:54 pm

The thing is, even if the floggings inflicted by and on the reserves teams balance out, and they both finish mid table etc., that will in no way compensate for the fact that they are in the Sanfl.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby johntheclaret » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:02 am

Columbo wrote:
Booney wrote:What teams will have to do to beat Port is deal with the defensive structure they set up. Glenelg and the Eagles have struggled to make it into the forward 50 with Port's defensive set up across the centre square / defensive 50 line. Without the ability to get the ball into Ports defensive 50 quickly, sides will struggle to score against us.

Think your whole summary is pretty spot on Booney especially the bit above. From where I sat that structure was something that the Eagles players didn't know how to deal with early on. When they moved the ball quickly during the 2nd and 3rd quarters the score was Eagles 7.2 Port 6.8. but 2 quarters against a quality opposition regardless of who it is won't win games. The last quarter it looked like the superior fitness took over, probably could have been alot worse if not for some stray kicking.

14 scoring shots to 9 doesn't suggest the Eagles dealt with it. As you say, had Port kicked straight....
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby Panther Pack » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:59 am

Maybe the Eagles just aren't that good?

Could it be time they merged with another club????

Oh btw You can't have Eddy go and find your own players!!!!!!!
Panther Pack
Reserves

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 137 times

Postby Gozu » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:12 pm

Crowd 4,247
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 659 times

Postby Dols » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:27 pm

Panther Pack wrote:Could it be time they merged with another club????
looking at the forward line I thought they had merged with South....,
Dols
Reserves

Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Columbo » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:54 pm

johntheclaret wrote:14 scoring shots to 9 doesn't suggest the Eagles dealt with it. As you say, had Port kicked straight....

To me 12 scoring shots to 1 in the first quarter says they didn't deal with it, 14 to 9 in the 2nd and 3rd is at least competitive and shows there was benefit in taking the game on a bit, unfortunately that didn't continue in the final quarter.
Trust the process.
Columbo
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 29 times

Postby Leon_LeCornu » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:25 am

Thought our style of play was superb. Harder at the ball all day, better skills, and quick ball movement. Only thing that really let us down was our kicking for goal and our forward 50 entries were a bit sloppy - Butch had a poor day but was hampered by the conditions and the delivery. Would expect him to improve greatly against West Adelaide this week.

Great to see Newton progress, clearly best player on the ground - 14 clearances, that's massive! Moore looks ready to slot straight back into the Power side, as do Clurey and Stewart - was great to see Paul have a good game. Used to really dislike going to SANFL games and having mixed feelings about watching players like him play against the Magpies. Has slotted into the new structure well and developing into a handy third tall option. Kane Mitchell another positive - can see him playing all games and winning the Magarey to go with his Sandover. Such a hard working player.
Leon_LeCornu
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 6 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Previous

Board index   Football  SANFL