Aldinga Sharks Forum

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: Aldinga Sharks Forum

Postby carey » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:27 pm

Q. wrote:How long has Ali been at Aldinga?

I remember him rucking for West Croydon
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2796 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby woodublieve12 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:29 am

heard this morning that Graham Cornes is popping down to take a training session...
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby HH3 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:30 am

woodublieve12 wrote:heard this morning that Graham Cornes is popping down to take a training session...

I wouldn't listen to a word he said.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2432 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Look Good In Leather » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:31 pm

Yet another article http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl ... 6892763519

to follow on from stories about Bees and having a laugh on the Footy Show, this really cannot be helping. All the media, that sadly seems to be currently encouraged by the club, is only taking the piss out of them and further harming them.

It has a similar feel to this: http://youtu.be/_8UwG2JfC6U
three years later that club was gone, likewise with the similar media circus that surrounded Port Elliot in the late 90s.

Aldinga, yes you are struggling, but stop taking the piss out of yourselves in the media. It reflects on the whole competition and will only hurt you in the medium term. Kilburn, Mitchell Park, Brahma Lodge, Flinders University are all in a worse position than your club, start deflecting the attention to them.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Dutchy » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:56 pm

Why didnt they get a u14's team up this season? Their Subbies have been very strong in recent years.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:41 am

HH3 wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:heard this morning that Graham Cornes is popping down to take a training session...

Why listen to a bloke who coached numerous winning representative sides against opponents who have far bigger resources and population?

A bloke who coached South Australias finest State Of Origin sides....

Why listen......?
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 738 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby afc9798 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:27 am

LaughingKookaburra wrote:
HH3 wrote:

Why listen to a bloke who coached numerous winning representative sides against opponents who have far bigger resources and population?

Why listen......?

If Aldinga use this wisely, they can actually garner some good support from the local community. It won't do a lot for their onfield performances this year, but could spark interest from other players, sponsors etc. Any uplift is positive and when added to the fact that the Sharks actually have a pretty good facility down there, good junior numbers and obviously some good people who do the heavy lifting in administrating the club, this could be the start of a revival for future years. If it's not used wisely the effect will be gone within two weeks.
afc9798
Reserves

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 47 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby tigerpie » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:29 am

LaughingKookaburra wrote:
HH3 wrote:

Why listen......?

And i might add, actually turned Glenelg around from a perrenial bridesmaid to genuine premiership winning club.

And formed a very competitive team to go play against the big boys, in a heartbeat, with shit facilities.

Yep...why listen?
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby Keyser Soze » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:48 pm

Dutchy wrote:Why didnt they get a u14's team up this season? Their Subbies have been very strong in recent years.

Good question?
Keyser Soze
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 10 times

Postby fisho mcspaz » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:10 pm

Keyser Soze wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Why didnt they get a u14's team up this season? Their Subbies have been very strong in recent years.

Good question?

Actually, I had an answer to that the other day, ran into the former U14s coach. He said that he had to step down as coach because it was eating into his work, and that a whole lot of the boys said they weren't going to play any more if he wasn't coaching. :? I don't know any more than that, sorry.
Hey Goose, ya big stud! Take me to bed or lose me for ever.
fisho mcspaz
League - Top 5

Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 111 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby fisho mcspaz » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:42 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote:Yet another article http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl ... 6892763519

to follow on from stories about Bees and having a laugh on the Footy Show, this really cannot be helping. All the media, that sadly seems to be currently encouraged by the club, is only taking the piss out of them and further harming them.

It has a similar feel to this: http://youtu.be/_8UwG2JfC6U
three years later that club was gone, likewise with the similar media circus that surrounded Port Elliot in the late 90s.

Aldinga, yes you are struggling, but stop taking the piss out of yourselves in the media. It reflects on the whole competition and will only hurt you in the medium term. Kilburn, Mitchell Park, Brahma Lodge, Flinders University are all in a worse position than your club, start deflecting the attention to them.

Agreed. Sorry, Sharks, but I'm not a fan of what's been happening in the media. I saw firsthand what went on at Callington back in 2009. Anyway. It's happened - the main thing is to capitalise on it. Get as much out of it as possible so there's some $$ to fall back on over the next couple of years while a long-term contingency plan is put in place. The Advertiser, Footy Show et al. will lose interest come the end of the season - plans for the next three years at least should be drafted and underway by then, so that it's not immediately back to square one once the media pulls out. I'm not trying to be a c*** - I love this club. I am worried because this isn't the first time this has happened to a club - Callington, Milang, Port Elliot are the others I can think of - and in all cases, without exception, the media exposure did more harm than good. There's no quick fix. People will express interest while it suits them, and they will do it convincingly, and then walk away once the initial hype dies down.

Aldinga's a great club - good people, always made us feel welcome, and the social side of things is fantastic. The football side, though - the same mistakes keep being repeated. It's not enough to blame the coach - it's convenient, but it's not addressing the underlying issues. Why was he hired again, for one thing? Why do so many players come from outside rather than within the local area? Why is there such a massive turnover of players each and every year? No amount of media coverage is going to answer those questions.
fisho mcspaz
League - Top 5

Postby Backliner » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:51 pm

There are plenty of positives at Aldinga, the main focus is and always will be the A grade to most people. Other positives are the improvements to the place off field such as the dining area, doing more meals than ever, engaging the community on a level I haven't seen through sponsors, general supporters, players parents and even the Aldinga Community Forum on Facebook - encouraging members to attend and support the club, spruiking it's social side which is becoming a winner. Over 300 numbers in the barrel for weekly Thursday members draws. Newly formed Soccer club using the facilities when no Aussie rules football happening - training Fri, play Sun etc . It isn't like Callington or Milang where people turn up 3 times a week for football, it's a year round club and probably has an improved relationship with the cricket club more than has been in years. All the ducks are lining up in a row in other areas just the main and highlighted A grade woes (B grade also). The potential is there (been saying for years) but Aldinga will be around for a long time to come. The current situation the club is in I would say is better than last time in early to mid 2000's.
I think you'll find an emphasis 2 years ago was to try to engage more of the community and build on the off field potential which will hopefully transfer onto the field. Remember there will only be 1 premier listed in the history books for 2014, patience and hopefully good things will come and hopefully the people involved hang in there and get some more support to make it happen. My 2 cents
Backliner
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Postby carey » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:02 pm

Here comes 6,000 posts. Re: Shane Crawford
carey
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:03 pm

Awesome news... Great work Shane.. Good for footy
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby carey » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:06 pm

I'm still out injured and I just heard Crawford say Billy will be at the bar, Well Aldinga will be getting an extra gate fee as I'll defiantly be heading down there as Bill is One of the funniest blokes you'll ever meet.
carey
Coach

Postby heater31 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:09 pm

carey wrote:I'm still out injured and I just heard Crawford say Billy will be at the bar, Well Aldinga will be getting an extra gate fee as I'll defiantly be heading down there as Bill is One of the funniest blokes you'll ever meet.

Billy will drink the bloody bar :shock:
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:53 pm

Crawf, Billy and souvenir Cow Bells! What more do you need?
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby fisho mcspaz » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:11 am

Well, I've just seen the Tiser's latest - a proposed AFL curtainraiser vs Kilburn. I was still digesting that when I saw the accompanying photo - it's my other half dressed up in a Port Power jumper. What the f*** is going on?!
fisho mcspaz
League - Top 5

Postby jumbo20 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:40 pm

One must feel sorry for the sacked coach
jumbo20
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 9 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby fisho mcspaz » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:23 pm

jumbo20 wrote:One must feel sorry for the sacked coach

I do. I don't think Aldinga should have hired him again, but I also think that it's become very convenient to blame him. The media coverage has made it probably impossible for him to ever be involved with local football again. Coaching aside, he volunteered his time every week and made an effort to recruit players to Aldinga. He chose to speak to the media, so there's some culpability there, sure, but the club hired him, the media apportioned full responsibility to him for Aldinga's performance, and no one spoke up in his defence. So yeah, I do feel sorry for him.
fisho mcspaz
League - Top 5

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL