AFL Reserves. The Pros and Cons:

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: AFL Reserves. The Pros and Cons:

Postby Booney » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:01 am

daysofourlives wrote:
jo172 wrote:Devil's advocate; if the Crows and Port pissed off to the VFL/some other AFL Reserves competition what effect would it have on the SANFL?

I suspect that media coverage/channel 7 etc. would be even less for the league as a whole than it is now.

I get the feeling this may be like pandora's box, now that it's been opened it can't be closed

Didnt the Ammos, use to be on TV in the 70's and 80's?
I see that comp still exists and thrives

SAFA was on TV....been dead for years. Good point though.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Jimmy » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:05 am

Serious questions...

Are port magpies fans excited about the influx of new recruits? How do you feel about these new players 'bleeding for the prison bars'? Do you believe they care about the team or are they just waiting to get into the real league side?

How do you feel that 100+ years of history has been dissolved? If sturt became a reserves team and had an influx of new recruits, I couldn't possibly in my heart barrack for them and I'd have to accept that my team is no longer. No way would these new players automatically bleed double blue.

I really feel for the port magpies fans. It must be tough barracking for a team that really isn't what it used to be or was once feared by the rest of the league and I think the whole league has suffered.
Carn the blues!!!!!
Jimmy
Coach

Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby bennymacca » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:41 am

It's cool to have another thread on this. I enjoy the 2847473727 other ones.

Sorry johnny but you won't find many trying to be objective around here and you will get shouted down if you try.

Also this forum is SAFooty not SANFL footy as some tools like to think.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby heater31 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:43 am

Jimmy wrote:Serious questions...

Are port magpies fans excited about the influx of new recruits? How do you feel about these new players 'bleeding for the prison bars'? Do you believe they care about the team or are they just waiting to get into the real league side?

How do you feel that 100+ years of history has been dissolved? If sturt became a reserves team and had an influx of new recruits, I couldn't possibly in my heart barrack for them and I'd have to accept that my team is no longer. No way would these new players automatically bleed double blue.

I really feel for the port magpies fans. It must be tough barracking for a team that really isn't what it used to be or was once feared by the rest of the league and I think the whole league has suffered.

Based on my observations on Monday the majority of them were wearing some sort of AFL branded merchandise. There was one fan that did stand out and surprised me that he would be still supporting them. Stood out as a fan you always see at Port games supporting them rain hail or shine completely decked out in the last SANFL premiership t-shirt or similar. Yet he was supporting them like it was the late 80's allover again when they were wining flag after flag. I actually felt sorry fans like him when I went to Glenelg last year for the last game of the 'real' Magpies, not anymore :evil:
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Hazydog » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:56 am

bennymacca wrote:It's cool to have another thread on this. I enjoy the 2847473727 other ones.

Sorry johnny but you won't find many trying to be objective around here and you will get shouted down if you try.

Copied and pasted from the top of this page....

"Board index Football SANFL"
Players win touches, Teams win matches, Clubs win Premierships.
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 190 times

Postby bennymacca » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:02 pm

But apparently that means if you talk anything but hate for 20% of the teams in said SANFL you are not a true football supporter or some other ridiculousness like that
bennymacca
Coach

Postby smac » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:07 pm

I've always hated every team except Centrals. Was that wrong?

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk
smac
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby bennymacca » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:23 pm

Well tbh I have always thought actively hating another team was pretty stupid. Especially when a player switches clubs and now all of a sudden they are a top bloke again.

And particularly when people attach their own self esteem to the successes of a team and somehow think they are better than everyone because their team is up and about. It's pretty childish if you ask me.

Lastly, I am a crows/centrals supporter, and maybe it's weird but I would rather beat port in a grand final than have them bottom and getting smashed by 100 points. I don't really derive and pleasure out of that, and beating port in a grand final would be that much sweeter.

Not a rant at you smac but just my thoughts
bennymacca
Coach

Postby UK Fan » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:26 pm

bennymacca wrote:It's cool to have another thread on this. I enjoy the 2847473727 other ones.

And again I repeat, what makes you objective?

You have stated clearly the Crows are your number one team. Its hardly surprising you are in favour of the reserves concept.
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1197 times
Been liked: 500 times

Postby twosheds » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:28 pm

Hazydog wrote:

Copied and pasted from the top of this page....

"Board index Football SANFL"

Oh dear benny, seems there are tools everywhere :D
Get your own Arts Show ya fairy !
twosheds
Under 16s

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 18 times

Postby bennymacca » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:31 pm

UK Fan wrote:

And again I repeat, what makes you objective?

You have stated clearly the Crows are your number one team. Its hardly surprising you are in favour of the reserves concept.

To be absolutely clear I think the current model is still not great and a full afl reserves comp is the best way to go.

I just take issue with people that think it is destroying the sanfl. And when I get told im not a real football supporter for following the crows in the afl more than my sanfl team
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Apachebulldog » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:32 pm

bennymacca wrote:Well tbh I have always thought actively hating another team was pretty stupid. Especially when a player switches clubs and now all of a sudden they are a top bloke again.

And particularly when people attach their own self esteem to the successes of a team and somehow think they are better than everyone because their team is up and about. It's pretty childish if you ask me.

Lastly, I am a crows/centrals supporter, and maybe it's weird but I would rather beat port in a grand final than have them bottom and getting smashed by 100 points. I don't really derive and pleasure out of that, and beating port in a grand final would be that much sweeter.

But Bennymacca the Magpies do not exist anymore so how can we beat them ????????? they are now a AFL Power RESERVES side do ya get it ?????
SANFL 2000 - 2011 Central District 12 consecutive Grand Final appearances and 9 Premierships.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFF.

Hit em hard let them get up and hit em again.
Apachebulldog
League - Best 21

Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 115 times

Postby mal » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:33 pm

My advice for JTC
Start another thread and edit the Thread title to:

AFL RESERVES THE PROS
The cons have been done to death
Posters can them make posts about the pros only

PS
Would a thread of this nature make a second page though ?
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1138 times
Been liked: 892 times

Postby stan » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:01 pm

Apachebulldog wrote:
bennymacca wrote:Well tbh I have always thought actively hating another team was pretty stupid. Especially when a player switches clubs and now all of a sudden they are a top bloke again.

But Bennymacca the Magpies do not exist anymore so how can we beat them ????????? they are now a AFL Power RESERVES side do ya get it ?????

Bennymacca can believe what he wants to. If that makes him happy great, but Bulldog perhaps you should relax and get out there and watch centrals play. They have played some good football already this year in the win over my legs. Yes you were beaten by Adelaide, but its not all doom and gloom. Just remember something, its not even the cold depths of winter yet.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:07 pm

Apachebulldog wrote:
bennymacca wrote:Lastly, I am a crows/centrals supporter, and maybe it's weird but I would rather beat port in a grand final than have them bottom and getting smashed by 100 points.

He did say "Port" not Magpies :lol:
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby SimonH » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:14 pm

Pro: I like there being 5 games a week and no byes except for the deliberately scheduled ones.

Cons: See every thread on SA Footy, ever, ad nauseam.

Agree with jo172 that now the box has been opened, some of those who were and are dead against this intervention, would not be in favour of the consequences to the SANFL (and footy in SA generally) if Port and Crows' 2nds sides were to run off to the VFL or similar comp.
SimonH
Under 18s

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 62 times

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:17 pm

If the AFL created a reserves comp, and Adelaide & Port obviously joined, then what would the SANFL do to deal with the loss of two sides?

Cant go and re-instate the Magpies, and an 8 team comp is fairly ordinary..
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby RB » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:19 pm

SimonH wrote:Agree with jo172 that now the box has been opened, some of those who were and are dead against this intervention, would not be in favour of the consequences to the SANFL (and footy in SA generally) if Port and Crows' 2nds sides were to run off to the VFL or similar comp.
What consequences?
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby RB » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:20 pm

Phantom Gossiper wrote:If the AFL created a reserves comp, and Adelaide & Port obviously joined, then what would the SANFL do to deal with the loss of two sides?
Nothing...What would it have an impact on?
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:24 pm

RB wrote:
Phantom Gossiper wrote:If the AFL created a reserves comp, and Adelaide & Port obviously joined, then what would the SANFL do to deal with the loss of two sides?
Nothing...What would it have an impact on?

An 8 team comp, what move to top 3 or 4 finals series? Shorten the season? Bit lame
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL