AFL Reserves. The Pros and Cons:

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: AFL Reserves. The Pros and Cons:

Postby StrayDog » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:28 pm

bennymacca wrote:I was talking about print media as well, which I think would almost be more significant for a jumper sponsor

I realise that, it just doesn't seem to have changed much either way. In any case doesn't have anywhere near the same impact as TV or ground exposure in my view.
Last edited by StrayDog on Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"— here I opened wide the door; —
Darkness there, and nothing more."

- Edgar Allan Poe from " The Raven "

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1147 times
Been liked: 194 times

Postby johntheclaret » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:32 pm

RB wrote:
johntheclaret wrote:So the gist of this in your view is that the SANFL losses it's identity as an independent league which in turn drives non AFL interested a fans away

Correct, although IMO it loses more than its identity. My overriding point is that removal of the AFL component will not cause the destruction of, or a major setback for, the SANFL. Surely it is strong enough...

Do I make it onto John's Pros List™? :lol:

From an SANFL perspective you are on the cons list,

The question isn't "what are the pros and cons of the AfL Reserves leaving the SANFL?" That's another thread in the waiting ;)
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby StrayDog » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:34 pm

johntheclaret wrote:
RB wrote:
johntheclaret wrote:So the gist of this in your view is that the SANFL losses it's identity as an independent league which in turn drives non AFL interested a fans away

Correct, although IMO it loses more than its identity. My overriding point is that removal of the AFL component will not cause the destruction of, or a major setback for, the SANFL. Surely it is strong enough...

From an SANFL perspective you are on the cons list,

The question isn't "what are the pros and cons of the AfL Reserves leaving the SANFL?" That's another thread in the waiting ;)

Just play the existing threads in reverse. :D
"— here I opened wide the door; —
Darkness there, and nothing more."

- Edgar Allan Poe from " The Raven "

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1147 times
Been liked: 194 times

Postby Booney » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:41 pm

RB wrote:

That's a risk you would want to take?

Not for one minute saying the SANFL would die, but would the likes of Sturt, West and Glenelg be able to financially thrive? Guess you have to consider why they, the ones with the most information put to them, voted yes.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7491 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby mickey » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:52 pm

whufc wrote:

-promoted as grass roots footy

SANFL is not, never has and never will be grass roots
mickey
Coach

Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 313 times
Grassroots Team: Seaton Ramblers

Postby RB » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:58 pm

Booney wrote:
RB wrote:

That's a risk you would want to take?

Not for one minute saying the SANFL would die, but would the likes of Sturt, West and Glenelg be able to financially thrive? Guess you have to consider why they, the ones with the most information put to them, voted yes.

I thought you meant being on Con's list or whatever it is for a sec!

In all seriousness, I am sure that the SANFL is strong enough to survive without the AFL involvement - didn't it go OK for the last 136 years?

I realise that you're talking about the longer term, but if the clubs are looking like going bust the $50k from the Crows won't help much. I think hard work on the part of the clubs will sustain them. The AFL involvement will be no silver bullet, and, as I have said, will do more harm than good to the eight sovereign clubs.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 765 times
Been liked: 1074 times

Postby daysofourlives » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:04 pm

Now that the SANFL no longer hold the licenses of the two SA based AFL clubs what is the extent of the SANFL's obligation to these two clubs?
Is it the same obligation the SANFL has to Collingwood or Gold Coast? i.e None.

I am sure the SANFL would survive without the AFL teams, without the media, without any exposure, the clubs would simply adjust to live within their means.
For most people on here it wouldnt matter about the standard of the competition as long as it was still Centrals playing North or Glenelg playing South.
and there was the same rules for all and there was still a premiership at the end of the season.
It could be equivalent of Div 5 ammos for all i care i just want to see the dogs be given the same chance of winning the flag as the other 7 teams. The standard wouldnt fall away much as you must still play SANFL to be eligible for the draft thus keeping the comp strong.
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby holden78 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:44 pm

daysofourlives wrote:Now that the SANFL no longer hold the licenses of the two SA based AFL clubs what is the extent of the SANFL's obligation to these two clubs?
Is it the same obligation the SANFL has to Collingwood or Gold Coast? i.e None.

I am sure the SANFL would survive without the AFL teams, without the media, without any exposure, the clubs would simply adjust to live within their means.
For most people on here it wouldnt matter about the standard of the competition as long as it was still Centrals playing North or Glenelg playing South.
and there was the same rules for all and there was still a premiership at the end of the season.
It could be equivalent of Div 5 ammos for all i care i just want to see the dogs be given the same chance of winning the flag as the other 7 teams. The standard wouldnt fall away much as you must still play SANFL to be eligible for the draft thus keeping the comp strong.

Excellent post, it's all about making sure ALL eight clubs are run intelligently and within tight guide lines.
Really the league would have to step up and takeover some admin duties etc. to cut costs and sell the league to sponsors, tv etc as one.
It's obvious already that no $ increase will ever occur, it's only a win for the two cancers!
Thanks John, Leigh, Chris and Boardheads with AFL car-stickers, you boc's!
holden78
League - Best 21

Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 55 times

Postby LPH » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:06 pm

At this stage it appears the BIGGEST beneficiary of the AFL Reserves has been "Port Adelaide".

Regardless of the debate about AFL in the SANFL being right or wrong, they (the former Port Adelaide Magpies Football Club) were on the brink of insolvency, debt ridden & non-performing on the ground. Their 'deal' appears to have been most beneficial for them - in fact they are now 2/1 favorite for the Flag.

I agree that Sturt, West & Glenelg too were almost insolvent - in fact I would assume most Clubs were running @ a loss.

The major "Con" for me (& it really is a 'con' in the true sense of the word) is the so called $50K being paid to the Clubs.
Wasn't that money related to added attendances & greater sponsorship exposure?
All I have noticed in the TV coverage is a few 'Erics' around the fences promoting IGA & a couple of others.
Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
LPH
League - Best 21

Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby kickinit » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:55 pm

LPH wrote:At this stage it appears the BIGGEST beneficiary of the AFL Reserves has been "Port Adelaide".

Regardless of the debate about AFL in the SANFL being right or wrong, they (the former Port Adelaide Magpies Football Club) were on the brink of insolvency, debt ridden & non-performing on the ground. Their 'deal' appears to have been most beneficial for them - in fact they are now 2/1 favorite for the Flag.

I agree that Sturt, West & Glenelg too were almost insolvent - in fact I would assume most Clubs were running @ a loss.

The major "Con" for me (& it really is a 'con' in the true sense of the word) is the so called $50K being paid to the Clubs.
All I have noticed in the TV coverage is a few 'Erics' around the fences promoting IGA & a couple of others.

So you want port and the crows to go out and find you sponsorship deals?
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 95 times

Postby dedja » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:00 pm

Booney wrote:I'd say no TV coverage at all ( the SANFL couldn't afford to pay someone to do it as they would get reduced revenue ) and reduced ( which is minimal now ) print media coverage. As a result, less sponsorship.

Less sponsorship, less monies in the clubs.....you do the maths.

The result would be catastrophic.

I'd have to say I'd disagree with that.

I might be wrong, but I don't believe the major sponsors at Glenelg base their sponsorship dollars on TV or print media exposure ... most are there because they are led by loyal Glenelg supporters who pay relatively modest amounts to sponsor the club.

Ground signage, website advertising, match day or other events (lunches/dinners) provide the modest returns as benefits of their sponsorship dollars.

Any TV or print media exposure is a bonus. What may happen though is that prolonged media exposure if say, channel 7 coverage takes off, may encourage new sponsorship interest.

But my point is that this has insignificant impact on current sponsorship.

Glenelg's financial issues aren't sponsorship (yes, more would be nice), it's the lack of patronage at the Bar and Bistro and Function Centre, which has a direct relationship to on field success.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 992 times

Postby Pseudo » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:16 pm

dedja wrote:Glenelg's financial issues aren't sponsorship (yes, more would be nice), it's the lack of patronage at the Bar and Bistro and Function Centre, which has a direct relationship to on field success.

All the more reason to spend Saturday afternoon in the GFC clubrooms, in the absence of a real game this weekend. 8)
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1557 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby RB » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:18 pm

kickinit wrote:
LPH wrote:At this stage it appears the BIGGEST beneficiary of the AFL Reserves has been "Port Adelaide".

So you want port and the crows to go out and find you sponsorship deals?
No, we want them to **** off.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 765 times
Been liked: 1074 times

Postby dedja » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:20 pm

Correct.

Hooray, Pseudo is single handedly significantly increasing alcohol takings on certain nominated match days.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Postby Bounce of the ball » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:33 pm

dedja wrote:
Booney wrote:I'd say no TV coverage at all ( the SANFL couldn't afford to pay someone to do it as they would get reduced revenue ) and reduced ( which is minimal now ) print media coverage. As a result, less sponsorship.

Less sponsorship, less monies in the clubs.....you do the maths.

The result would be catastrophic.

I'd have to say I'd disagree with that.

I might be wrong, but I don't believe the major sponsors at Glenelg base their sponsorship dollars on TV or print media exposure ... most are there because they are led by loyal Glenelg supporters who pay relatively modest amounts to sponsor the club.

Ground signage, website advertising, match day or other events (lunches/dinners) provide the modest returns as benefits of their sponsorship dollars.

Any TV or print media exposure is a bonus. What may happen though is that prolonged media exposure if say, channel 7 coverage takes off, may encourage new sponsorship interest.

But my point is that this has insignificant impact on current sponsorship.

Glenelg's financial issues aren't sponsorship (yes, more would be nice), it's the lack of patronage at the Bar and Bistro and Function Centre, which has a direct relationship to on field success.

Why sponsor then ? Sponsorship equals exposure which potentially means business. Go and take away Glenelg's sponsors and see if you survive. These sponsors aren't dumb or charities.
Bounce of the ball
Reserves

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby dedja » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:40 pm

you didn't read it properly ...

false premise = false conclusion #-o
dedja
Coach

Postby kickinit » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:52 pm

Jim05 wrote:Serious question, IF the AFL ends up with a ressies comp will Port supporters be happy with no Port side in the SANFL?

Put it to you this way Jim Brisbane have a greater chance of winning a flag this year then a AFL ressie comp.
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 95 times

Postby Jim05 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:53 pm

kickinit wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Serious question, IF the AFL ends up with a ressies comp will Port supporters be happy with no Port side in the SANFL?

Put it to you this way Jim Brisbane have a greater chance of winning a flag this year then a AFL ressie comp.

I agree its a long time away but it will eventually happen.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Bounce of the ball » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:59 pm

dedja wrote:you didn't read it properly ...

Hilarious.
Bounce of the ball
Reserves

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby dedja » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:27 am

Bounce of the ball wrote:
dedja wrote:you didn't read it properly ...

Hilarious.

:-*
dedja
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL