All discussions to do with the SANFL

Rnd 4 - Glenelg vs Crows Reserves - Post Game

Postby dedja » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:00 am

Glenelg 17.21 123
Crows 13.8 86

Attendance 9,299

Glenelg - Hooper 4, Kirkby, Thorp 3, Alleway, Woodall 2
Crows - Cameron 4, Martin, Walker 3
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 996 times

Re: Glenelg vs Crows Reserves - Post Game

Postby matt35 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:12 am

In spite of the fact that the Crows got the first 2 goals, it was clear from the opening bounce that Glenelg had come to play. The pressure that Glenelg were able to apply on the Crows, and to maintain that intensity through the game, was fantastic. With some key players now back in the side, we really do look different prospect! Big game next week against Norwood!

All round a great night at the Football. A great crowd and atmosphere. Loved it! Go Tigers!
No Surrender!
matt35
Under 18s

Has liked: 513 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby dedja » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:17 am

I am so pissed off I missed this one... always a great atmosphere with a big crowd at the Bay.

Sounded like a total team effort, concerned about McGinty though, hope the knee isn't too bad.

Seemed like Tex was handy after a year out and pulled through OK.

Must have been a weird and awkward night for a few, from what I'm hearing a good turnout by Crows fans or maybe it was just confused Bay supporters in drag.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Postby holden78 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:13 am

dedja wrote:I am so pissed off I missed this one... always a great atmosphere with a big crowd at the Bay.

Sounded like a total team effort, concerned about McGinty though, hope the knee isn't too bad.

Must have been a weird and awkward night for a few, from what I'm hearing a good turnout by Crows fans or maybe it was just confused Bay supporters in drag.

Your the expert, so fair enough :prayer:
holden78
League - Best 21

Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 55 times

Postby dedja » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:02 am

holden78 wrote:
dedja wrote:I am so pissed off I missed this one... always a great atmosphere with a big crowd at the Bay.

Your the expert, so fair enough :prayer:

Y O U ' R E
dedja
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:36 am

Oh dear Patrick Dangerfield on twitter complained about the umps
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11852 times
Been liked: 3601 times

Postby LPH » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:27 am

Crowd number was very surprising - have to say that the atmosphere wasn't what you'd expect from a 9000+ crowd however.
(I know, I know, whinge, whinge, whinge) - but it's true.

I think it is fair to suggest that the large attendance was due to a number of factors & will be interesting to see the 'return' fixture crowd.
Walker coming back, ANZAC Day Public Holiday, No local AFL games, Night Game.
That said, it was 'pleasing' to see a bumper crowd but in terms of revenue; they didn't have to pay to get in do they?

If there was any doubt about the Cows Reserves Team being about 'development' - taking Walker off toward the end of the 3rd Quarter (I don't recall seeing him in the last) after he kicked his 3rd goal to get them within 3 pts was a significant pointer to the 'Integrity' question.

The point must also be made that the difference in 'top up' players between the Cows & PAPs Reserves is massive.
The Cows have Ammos who clearly have no idea & aren't up to the 'pace' of SANFL, whilst Port have tried & tested players such as Summerton & the like. What the Cows did show was their ability to move the ball out of defence (as a result of many players on the AFL list & their obvious advantage in speed & pace) was significantly better than Glenelg.

Had fun with what Snouts were there - one Cows supporter behind us was very vocal initially but surprisingly he didn't stay around long :roll:
Most Cows supporters appeared reluctant to get behind their team - despite the numbers.
A bit like what Wedgie said about the North game; they appeared somewhat embarrassed to be there.

Great to catch up with Steve & to talk footy with Shane, Dave, Darren & Gerry
Bays looked pretty good actually - they moved the ball well & obviously playing at home helped them.

Is the 'doomsday' idea dead?
I still think we need to wait until 1/2 way through the season to judge, but 9000+ people last night suggests perhaps @ this stage.
Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
LPH
League - Best 21

Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby whufc » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:06 am

When the AFL reseves can't use their extra speed and fitness on the big ovals they are really brought back to the field on the smaller ovals where things like desire, hunger, attack on the ball become bigger factors
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby scott » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:22 am

LPH wrote:If there was any doubt about the Cows Reserves Team being about 'development' - taking Walker off toward the end of the 3rd Quarter (I don't recall seeing him in the last) after he kicked his 3rd goal to get them within 3 pts was a significant pointer to the 'Integrity' question.

Reckon he played up until the 20-minute mark of the 4th quarter before putting the tracksuit on, which by that point the game was beyond salvaging.
scott
Veteran

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 124 times

Postby the joker » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:45 am

Would've been a while a go that the SANFL got 19,000 to two non finals games in a day.
I love vegatarian food. It goes great with steak.
the joker
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 58 times

Postby Apachebulldog » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:29 am

Good job Bays ya FAAAARRKKED the Crows well done .

Good crowd but is that due to the fact that a lot of Bay supporters have always been good Crow supporters from day one ????

How many had two faces and and wore two scarves ??????

Well done again.
SANFL 2000 - 2011 Central District 12 consecutive Grand Final appearances and 9 Premierships.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFF.

Hit em hard let them get up and hit em again.
Apachebulldog
League - Best 21

Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 115 times

Postby Tech1 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:55 am

Great game of footy from us, hard at it, played better for each quarter just couldn't kick straight in the first and third quarters, should've wont by ten goals. Crowd was good, not much noise at all from crows fans unless walker got near it. Spoke with a few before the game while lining up for food, a couple of bays/crows fans not sure who they should go for :roll: and a centrals/crows fan who just hoped walker got through the game ok and she reminded me that she was more of a crows fan then a centrals fan, not that i cared. Difference in power and crows list is huge, not much depth and top up players not even close to as good. Was impressed with how many of our supporters where there with our results so far, will be interested to see if we can back it up next week against Norwood, who will be a much better challenge.
Tech1
Rookie

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 27 times

Postby Wedgie » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:51 pm

Good to see the Advertiser plugging the Bays great win on their facebook page:
Attachments
walker.png
walker.png (309.95 KiB) Viewed 4993 times
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2050 times
Been liked: 3894 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby bennymacca » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:53 pm

Just a note on walker being taken off before the end of the game - this would still have happened if he was playing for Norwood.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby bennymacca » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:54 pm

Wedgie wrote:Good to see the Advertiser plugging the Bays great win on their facebook page:

More people care about walker being back than the bays winning.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:00 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Wedgie wrote:Good to see the Advertiser plugging the Bays great win on their facebook page:

More people care about walker being back than the bays winning.

Not people I know.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2050 times
Been liked: 3894 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby RB » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:24 pm

bennymacca wrote:Just a note on walker being taken off before the end of the game - this would still have happened if he was playing for Norwood.
After a year out, he'd have made his return in Norwood's reserves side, i.e. in an actual reserves comp, where no-one gives a stuff how long they play.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1075 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:33 pm

good too see that Triggy is getting the message out to all the media.......Scott Walsh refers to State league footy in the last paragraph of his article this morning

another sign the SANFL has died
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11852 times
Been liked: 3601 times

Postby bennymacca » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:06 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:good too see that Triggy is getting the message out to all the media.......Scott Walsh refers to State league footy in the last paragraph of his article this morning

its been called state league on and off for years. not sure what the issue is with that. it IS a state league is it not? I will agree with you that I havent really heard the crows mention it as their SANFL team, it is always their state league team, but given they are functionally the same thing im not sure what the issue with that is?
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:27 pm

bennymacca wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:good too see that Triggy is getting the message out to all the media.......Scott Walsh refers to State league footy in the last paragraph of his article this morning

its been called state league on and off for years. not sure what the issue is with that. it IS a state league is it not? I will agree with you that I havent really heard the crows mention it as their SANFL team, it is always their state league team, but given they are functionally the same thing im not sure what the issue with that is?

Why are they so ashamed to call it their reserves side?
The Melbourne clubs have no problem calling their VFL sides their ressies
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Next

Board index   Football  SANFL