The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The 2014 season no AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

by RB » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:02 pm

whufc wrote:Unfortunately I don't think anything can or should be done mid season

Personally I hope they don't lose another game and win the GF by 150+ points then maybe the other SANFL clubs win get rid of the reserves
I hope the Power reserves win the GF by 126 points.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 764 times
Been liked: 1074 times

by Tech1 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:07 pm

Aerie wrote:Another big win to the Power Reserves. After 9 Rounds they would have played every team once. I think the SANFL should make a move to weaken them via their top-up players system at this point. There would still be 3 weeks before the June 30 deadline for those players who need to move on to find another home. Otherwise, a Port Magpies premiership looks a certainty and under this system, would be a joke given the leg-up they have been given. They still have the likes of Jarrad Redden and the Irishman Flynn to come back, as well as another 5 injured Power players.

I still think Port should be allowed to have their junior structure and "academy team/SANFL reserves" if they want. This should be the only way they can produce top-up players, and all these top up players should not be older than 21 (perhaps allow one over-age as they do now). Once they are over-age, they can either stick with the Academy team or find another home at the end of the season.

Below is the list of this years top up players, their age and how many games they've played so far. Out of this list, come the end of Round 9, Biemans, Bruggemann, Gordon, Krakouer, Venter and one of Summerton or Slattery shouldn't be allowed to play for Port Magpies League team IMO.

I wonder if the SANFL clubs would have the balls to make this happen, because as it stands it is completely unfair. If Port are still good enough to win the premiership then at least they would have done so in the spirit of development - which is after all what these teams are about.

Biemans - age 24 (Interstate) - played all 4, in best once
Bruggemann - 23 (WWT Eagles Junior) - played all 4
Butcher - 21 (ex Power - Interstate) - not played (10 league games in 2013)
Gordon - 21 (Interstate) - not played
Haren - 21 (ex Swans - local) - played all 4, in best once
Hawkins - 19 (local) - played 1
Johansen - 17 (local) - not played (15 league games in 2013)
Krakouer - 25 (ex Power - Interstate) - not played
Raikiwasa - 21 (local) - not played (18 league games in 2013)
Sawford - 19 (local) - not played (2 league games in 2013)
Sharrad - 20 (local) - played 2, best once (8 league games in 2013)
Slattery - 28 (ex Essendon - West Adelaide/Port Magpies) - played 3 (8 league games in 2013)
Summerton - 26 (local) - played all 4, in best all 4 (played 20 league games in 2013)
Venter - 23 (interstate) - not played
Young - 19 (local) - played twice (played 4 league games in 2013)

Pretty sure they can't do anything mid season, they already stuffed it up. Personally keep the changes that where going to be made at season end, scrap there juniors and reserves side, if they want an academy side, fine but they can play somewhere else. As for the power reserves, further changes should be made to the ones already agreed upon, no player over 23, players can't have played in any state league for 3 years and no leadership player (this takes out the opportunity to bend the rules like they have now with Summerton). They will still be up the top imho but wont have the unfair advantage they have now.
Tech1
Rookie

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 27 times

by Aerie » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:08 pm

Pseudo wrote:
Aerie wrote:I wonder if the SANFL clubs would have the balls to make this happen, because as it stands it is completely unfair.

Last year the 8 clubs were adamant that Port could have a reserves team in the SANFL league only under the same conditions as the Crows.

Port whinged "We want to have dedicated SANFL league players of any age and we want a SANFL reserves team too".

The clubs couldn't have backflipped more quickly if they'd had circus training.

You reckon they'll admit to making a mistake now?

I hope so. I reckon some were so enthusiastic about getting the Crows on board, that Port were just an after thought - or no thought at all. They were hardly talked about at the Eagles info night - except for an 80 year old lady saying watch out for them and what they'll get up to - Slaven shrugged off saying they'll just get the same conditions as the Crows.

Even Doug Thomas in his mid-week interview was saying Port will get injuries and other SANFL clubs will get players back so it will even out. Sounded like an attempt to shut up anyone querying what is playing out, to me.

PS. Given none of this is fair or about integrity - I see no problem in the SANFL doing it half way through the season after Port have played each team once.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 504 times

by Tech1 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:09 pm

Pseudo wrote:
Aerie wrote:I wonder if the SANFL clubs would have the balls to make this happen, because as it stands it is completely unfair.

Last year the 8 clubs were adamant that Port could have a reserves team in the SANFL league only under the same conditions as the Crows.

Port whinged "We want to have dedicated SANFL league players of any age and we want a SANFL reserves team too".

Spot on, still can't believe this has happened, it's a joke.
Tech1
Rookie

by kickinit » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:39 pm

Aerie wrote:
Pseudo wrote:

I hope so. I reckon some were so enthusiastic about getting the Crows on board, that Port were just an after thought - or no thought at all. They were hardly talked about at the Eagles info night - except for an 80 year old lady saying watch out for them and what they'll get up to - Slaven shrugged off saying they'll just get the same conditions as the Crows.

Even Doug Thomas in his mid-week interview was saying Port will get injuries and other SANFL clubs will get players back so it will even out. Sounded like an attempt to shut up anyone querying what is playing out, to me.

PS. Given none of this is fair or about integrity - I see no problem in the SANFL doing it half way through the season after Port have played each team once.

Serious question, who do you expect to pay out these players contracts?
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 95 times

by LPH » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:47 pm

Port Power?
Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
LPH
League - Best 21

Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

by Jim05 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:50 pm

kickinit wrote:
Aerie wrote:
Pseudo wrote:

Serious question, who do you expect to pay out these players contracts?

Another mistake by the SANFL, the AFL clubs should not be able to sign anything other than 1 year contracts because this whole thing is only a year by year proposition
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

by Aerie » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:52 pm

kickinit wrote:Serious question, who do you expect to pay out these players contracts?

Aren't they on $400 per game, except for the mature age player in Slattery? Do they have base contracts as well?
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 504 times

by DOC » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:57 pm

Thats a maximum of $400 per game.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 729 times
Been liked: 2083 times

by Mic » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:21 pm

It was quite interesting how Port got their reserves side into the SANFL. All the focus and members info nights last year were about the Crows reserves. Power got their reserves team in very quietly soon afterward the Crows did. With their current set-up, getting home games at Alberton and not having to pay the other 8 clubs anything like the Crows do, the SANFL gave Power a very good deal.
Mic
League - Top 5

Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 144 times

by kickinit » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:22 pm

Aerie wrote:
kickinit wrote:Serious question, who do you expect to pay out these players contracts?

Aren't they on $400 per game, except for the mature age player in Slattery? Do they have base contracts as well?

Maximum $400 a game for league and $100 for reserves. 1 over 28 can be paid more. Summerton had a 3 year deal before the start of the season. Which is why Port wanted to make him the leadership player as they had to pay is contract, but now have to pay it off later. Every player has signed contract which is lodge with the league.

edit*

Just had a look at the deal.

• 15 year term, reviewed annually by the SANFL.
• 12 month notice period for SANFL & SANFL Clubs to terminate agreement.

The SANFL is never going to change the top up players. Only way for the clubs to do anything is to terminate the agreement, which I can't see happening.
Last edited by kickinit on Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

by kickinit » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:32 pm

Mic wrote:It was quite interesting how Port got their reserves side into the SANFL. All the focus and members info nights last year were about the Crows reserves. Power got their reserves team in very quietly soon afterward the Crows did. With their current set-up, getting home games at Alberton and not having to pay the other 8 clubs anything like the Crows do, the SANFL gave Power a very good deal.

First off don't blame Port if your club didn't speak up about Port's deal. If you remember Port's first proposal was knocked back by the SANFL, to which Keith Thomas then went and visited every SANFL (except centrals) to find out what issues they had and what it would take to get it through. I could be wrong but I can never remember Trigg visiting the SANFL clubs. While the crows are paying 400k to the clubs, port will not receive their 400k apart of the club distribution. Also Power members will not receive free entry into games. Also the SANFL didn't give Port any deal the SANFL clubs did.
kickinit
League - Top 5

by Mic » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:46 pm

kickinit wrote:
Mic wrote:It was quite interesting how Port got their reserves side into the SANFL. All the focus and members info nights last year were about the Crows reserves. Power got their reserves team in very quietly soon afterward the Crows did. With their current set-up, getting home games at Alberton and not having to pay the other 8 clubs anything like the Crows do, the SANFL gave Power a very good deal.

First off don't blame Port if your club didn't speak up about Port's deal. If you remember Port's first proposal was knocked back by the SANFL, to which Keith Thomas then went and visited every SANFL (except centrals) to find out what issues they had and what it would take to get it through. I could be wrong but I can never remember Trigg visiting the SANFL clubs. While the crows are paying 400k to the clubs, port will not receive their 400k apart of the club distribution. Also Power members will not receive free entry into games. Also the SANFL didn't give Port any deal the SANFL clubs did.

Where did I blame Port? :?
Mic
League - Top 5

Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 144 times

by whufc » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:47 pm

kickinit wrote:
Aerie wrote:

Maximum $400 a game for league and $100 for reserves. 1 over 28 can be paid more. Summerton had a 3 year deal before the start of the season. Which is why Port wanted to make him the leadership player as they had to pay is contract, but now have to pay it off later. Every player has signed contract which is lodge with the league.

edit*

The SANFL is never going to change the top up players. Only way for the clubs to do anything is to terminate the agreement, which I can't see happening.

Do u honestly believe if port go to belt everyone by 10 goals each week the SANFL and its clubs won't look at doing something at seasons end.

changing the top up system would come under discussion in the reviewed annually part of the agreement.

You would think Port will require a couple years notice in advance though.
Last edited by whufc on Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5586 times
Been liked: 2527 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

by kickinit » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:57 pm

Mic wrote:
kickinit wrote:

Where did I blame Port? :?

The parts in bold
kickinit
League - Top 5

by Tech1 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:58 pm

whufc wrote:
kickinit wrote:
Aerie wrote:

edit*

Do u honestly if port go to belt everyone by 10 goals each week the SANFL and its clubs won't look at doing something at seasons end.

changing the top up system would come under discussion in the reviewed annually part of the agreement.

You would think Port will require a couple years notice in advance though.

Definitely would be part of the reviewed annually in regards to how top up players work, i'm sure when the cows had there deal done it mentioned that it will be reviewed and changed depending on how strong or weak the team is. I would think notice wouldn't need to be given, it's how the system now works, both clubs have to deal with it.
Tech1
Rookie

by RB » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:01 pm

At the Eagles members night/re-education sesh, Slaven promised everyone that there wouldn't be any games at Alberton. For some reason everyone cheered, even though the Magpies beat the Eagles only once I think in their last ten seasons.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 764 times
Been liked: 1074 times

by dedja » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:04 pm

Port will be dealt with at the end of the year ... they have little bargaining power now and the SANFL clubs will be very vocal to ensure that there is, a much as possible, a level playing field.

If Port had any brains, they would start dropping some games to throw the scent off.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 992 times

by kickinit » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:07 pm

Here is what Port's top up list looks like.

Anthony Biemans - Geelong football league last 2 years
Angus Brogemann - jnrs at the eagles been playing country footy
Danny Butcher - power last year
Sam Gordon - Hampden football league
Ben Haren - Port jnr Syndney swans
Zac Hawkins - Port jnr
Jake Johansen - Port Jnr
Nathen Krakouer - Hasn't played AFL since 2011 WA Ammo's last 2 years
Aseri Raikiwasa - Port Jnr
Ban Sawford - Port Jnr
Louis Sharrad - Port Jnr
Henry Slattery - Leadership player
Steven Summerton - Port Jnr
Matt Venter - No senior footy 24 years old
Robbie Young - Port Jnr

You can't complain about about Port's jnr's. We still have a academy team in the reserves and our development programs across the state. Slattery is our leadership player. The only one you can complain about is Danny Butcher. The other's haven't played league footy within 18 months. So I don't know what the SANFL or the clubs could actually change.
kickinit
League - Top 5

by dedja » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:11 pm

Plenty .. Reserves, U18s, zone ... gone
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 992 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL