HFL Division 1 (Central)

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: HFL Central Division

Postby Justquietly » Fri May 02, 2014 3:58 pm

Well done, Legs Man, bloody great insight. I got bits & pieces from mates at Lofty re how it unfolded but didn't realise that it was such a shambles.
Your point re having Echunga, Nairne & Lofty in Central is a really valid one, I think. I don't know if there's a DEFINITIVE model that'll tick all the boxes, but you're right about the divide. Although I like seeing Lofty hand out floggings, I can't see how it helps Country Div at all this year. Added to this: if Echunga finish bottom of Club Shield, but at the same time get more competitive as the season progresses, have solid facilities/committee etc, but they get relegated...footy loses, really. There'll always be swings & roundabouts but something's not quite right at the moment from what you said.
Chuck Norris makes onions cry
Justquietly
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Mt Lofty

Postby Legs Man » Fri May 02, 2014 4:14 pm

Cheers JustQ

Don't worry - Echunga saw first hand how the league operates and would have loved to see Mt Lofty stay in central for the sake of footy in the hills.

We were presented with a way to stay viable and unfortunately it was to the detriment of Mt Lofty - thanks to a short sighted and belligerent Hills League hierarchy.

You should have heard the tripe they fed Echunga behind closed doors - then conveyed the exact opposite to the Central and Country clubs.

It was changing the story to suit - to either save face or to fulfill a hidden agenda.

The current situation does not work and we will lose more and more players to our sport.
Legs Man
Under 16s

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby Elmer J Thudpucker » Fri May 02, 2014 4:34 pm

Legs Man wrote:The number of teams should have been increased to accommodate both Echunga and Nairne along with Mt lofty in Central div to grow our competition - not kept at a number to pander to individual clubs and their protective agenda.

What the league did to Mt Lofty was disgraceful when it meant that the divide was increased between Country and Central and that the possibility was presented of losing junior footballers.

it is my belief that the surrounding clubs of Mt lofty were licking their lips hoping to pick up disgruntled juniors not prepared to travel or play in Country div and set their voting to gain this opportunity. (shame on these clubs and shame on the league for allowing this)

After browsing these forums for a number of years, I've finally been prodded enough to come online and correct some of the hysteria that gets posted on this site.

Legs Man - I admire your passion for your club and agree that Echunga were poorly treated by the HFL during the whole promotion/relegation saga. I also share your concerns about the structure of the Country Division - it is clearly unsustainable.

However, your references to the poor treatment of Mt Lofty has me shaking my head.

First, and this is the most important point I'm going to make, is that the majority of HFL clubs simply voted to adhere to the HFL by-laws. There was no clandestine agenda to screw Lofty over. For the majority of clubs, we simply wanted the HFL to stick to the rules that all clubs (including Lofty themselves) voted on two years earlier.

As to the issue of the clubs not voting to let Lofty and Nairne also join Central Division, this was based on wanting a competition where we played each other twice. A 12 team comp would mean 22 games, plus the long weekend and country carnival bye. We'd have a season longer than the AFL and crossing over into the cricket season. It was an easy vote and not rocket science.

As to the issue of Lofty being treated badly - how ? They finished stone-motherless last in A grade and B grade. Who else was going to be relegated? Every club in Central Division new of the relegation system at the start of the season (it's in the by-laws). Given they knew before the start of the year that relegation was a possibility AND taking into account that they won the wooden-spoon in A and B grade, how could they possibly feel hard done by ? Surely you're not suggesting that some clubs are too big to be relegated?

Finally, I'm involved in a club that neighbours Lofty and we were not 'licking our lips'. As a club we made a decicion NOT to approach any Lofty juniors (it's actually minuted at a Board meeting). So I take offence that you think we were circling vultures.

Again, never forget that Lofty are in Country Division due to their on-field performances, not due to the actions of other clubs. This is exactly the way it should be. I find it extremely frustrating that people forget this fact.

Ask yourself this, if it was Torrens Valley, Ironbank or Bridgewater being relegated last year, would there have been half the hysteria we saw with Lofty going down ? No, of course we wouldnt have.
Elmer J Thudpucker
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 31 times
Grassroots Team: Bridgewater

Postby Justquietly » Fri May 02, 2014 5:02 pm

So Thudpucker, you wouldn't do all that you could to stay up in Central if faced with the same situation?
And by the way: I have NO qualms with your points about the by-laws, more about assuming other clubs wouldn't do what they could to stay in Central.
Chuck Norris makes onions cry
Justquietly
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Mt Lofty

Postby Elmer J Thudpucker » Fri May 02, 2014 5:18 pm

Justquietly wrote:So Thudpucker, you wouldn't do all that you could to stay up in Central if faced with the same situation?
And by the way: I have NO qualms with your points about the by-laws, more about assuming other clubs wouldn't do what they could to stay in Central.

It's one thing to try and put a case why you deserve to stay up (although when you finish bottom in A and B grade that's a hard sell), but it's another to blame others HFL clubs and claim some form of conspiracy theory when the vote wasnt in your favour.

Dont get me wrong, the Central Division across all grades is better for Mt Lofty being in it. With my club the games against Lofty are highlight of the year and we look forward to resuming these clashes soon. I just cant accept the "the HFL clubs screwed Mt Lofty over" argument that has been peddled.
Elmer J Thudpucker
Rookie

Postby cracka » Fri May 02, 2014 5:21 pm

If the HFL clubs had voted to allow a 12 team central comp, that would have ensured destruction of the Country comp with only 7 teams. That will not better the league as a whole or help grow the league.

The vote was 16 to 4 IIRC to keep it as a 10 team central div so how is that "pandering to individual clubs and their protective agendas"

If you need any evidence that more teams in a div is bad, just look at the difference between top & bottom in the SFL.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 560 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby cracka » Fri May 02, 2014 5:38 pm

Legsman, I doubt you would still be sticking up for Lofty if you were at the AGM & saw how their delegates tried to sway others to vote against Echunga's appeal.
cracka
Veteran

Postby Legs Man » Fri May 02, 2014 5:45 pm

Certainly some valid points.

It is great that Bridgey made a stand on Lofty juniors and not approaching them. (I actually wasn't pointing the finger at one specific club but had heard that this was an agenda for some)

As you stated it is the By laws that the clubs voted on and wanting to keep a 10 team comp - so this says to me that the BY Laws are something that need to be changed.

Does it mean that 2 x 8 team comps are established or the season starts a week earlier or runs a week later?

It is a tough question and one i personally don't have a definitive answer for but would like the Central clubs to be more insightful when it come to hills footy as a whole.

There is definitely a "my backyard" mentality with some of the Central clubs which holds the league back.

The Club Shield points is a joke - as is the player points system which is formulated by the Hills league.(in a totally bizarre, inequitable and reactive manner)

Should a side be able to buy a premiership as TV did in country - but have a poor representation at junior level?

Should a side have very strong juniors but be hopeless in senior football thus staying in Central?

Should Echunga stack their reserves side for the second half of the season if the A grade is struggling to ensure we stay in Central?

The football landscape in the hills is a fast changing beast and must be treated as such with the league conforming to this change.

Some hills areas are experiencing exponential growth e.g. Mt barker, Nairne, Littlehampton (oh sorry they don't have a club) and this must be taken into account.

Personally I don't feel that Blackwood or Sedan are Hills clubs and this may be the root of the problem.

My beef is the way the Hills League handled the situation and how they represented the situation to the clubs.

Transparency was the key to this and with all the innuendo and lobbying of individual clubs behind the scenes - plus the league telling a different story to each club to suit the situation it spelt disaster from the start.

Perhaps the top 2 sides are promoted and the bottom 2 are relegated to make the competition more competitive?

It seems there is no easy solution - but lets start with only having Hills towns competing in OUR competition.

And BTW - I know who was doing the lobbying from Lofty and some of the tactics used and he didn't do his club any favors for the future as we obviously all have long memories.
You certainly try your best - but don't tell your supporters / associates that the league has guaranteed you will still be in Central thanks to your negotiation. He now has egg on his face and will be remembered for his efforts.
Legs Man
Under 16s

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby cracka » Fri May 02, 2014 6:38 pm

One thing I think everyone agrees on & that is there has to be a 2nd team out of the Mt Barker area ASAFP. Call it Littlehampton/Cornerstone for all I care but it has to happen. Both Mt Barker & Hahndorf draw a lot of their juniors from Littlehampton which allow them virtually 2 teams in every age group. This still wont help the likes of Uraidla, Gum, Kersbrook, TV, Sedan etc in fielding all junior sides but I don't know what can. Don't say capping the bigger clubs numbers coz that's been done to death & wont work.

I have said before, I would hate to see the HFL with any more than 10 teams in any division. If there are only 16 teams throughout the league then personally would prefer 2 x 8 team divs.

Compulsory promotion/relegation cant happen until the by laws are changed that state "clubs in central div have to field A, B, S/C & J/C sides". U13's apparently are not compulsory in either div which I didn't know until Echunga pointed it out.
cracka
Veteran

Postby Elmer J Thudpucker » Fri May 02, 2014 6:49 pm

Legs Man wrote:Should a side be able to buy a premiership as TV did in country - but have a poor representation at junior level?

Dont for a minute think is limited to Country Division, as the sentence above can just as equally be applied to Uraidla.
Elmer J Thudpucker
Rookie

Postby Champ » Fri May 02, 2014 7:30 pm

overthehill wrote:According to the 2006 Census, Echunga has a population of 846 people v Uraidla's 461.
That's almost double! You should have belted them if success was based on population?

You've flawed your own argument, Echungas senior colts did just that unless of course your argument is that all current senior players were either born or actively competing at senior level in 2006 at these clubs?
Champ
Under 18s

Has liked: 51 times
Been liked: 9 times
Grassroots Team: Gawler Central

Postby Champ » Fri May 02, 2014 7:47 pm

cracka wrote:One thing I think everyone agrees on & that is there has to be a 2nd team out of the Mt Barker area ASAFP. Call it Littlehampton/Cornerstone for all I care but it has to happen. Both Mt Barker & Hahndorf draw a lot of their juniors from Littlehampton which allow them virtually 2 teams in every age group. This still wont help the likes of Uraidla, Gum, Kersbrook, TV, Sedan etc in fielding all junior sides but I don't know what can. Don't say capping the bigger clubs numbers coz that's been done to death & wont work.

I have said before, I would hate to see the HFL with any more than 10 teams in any division. If there are only 16 teams throughout the league then personally would prefer 2 x 8 team divs.

Compulsory promotion/relegation cant happen until the by laws are changed that state "clubs in central div have to field A, B, S/C & J/C sides". U13's apparently are not compulsory in either div which I didn't know until Echunga pointed it out.

Compulsory A/B/Senior and Junior Colts.
Top country club goes up, bottom central goes down.
If top cant field all teams, the second side or minor premiers are offered the promotion, if they cant do it the bottom side stays put.
SIMPLE - EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASY
If the 'clubs' are the true owners of the league then the clubs can do anything they want - maybe two weeks after the GF the bottoms central plays top country to see who goes where....
Why can't the second club from barker be the current closest club to them? Why add yet another team when there are already facilityies etc around the corner.... Southern Demons.
Champ
Under 18s

Has liked: 51 times
Been liked: 9 times
Grassroots Team: Gawler Central

Postby cracka » Fri May 02, 2014 8:04 pm

Champ wrote:
cracka wrote:One thing I think everyone agrees on & that is there has to be a 2nd team out of the Mt Barker area ASAFP. Call it Littlehampton/Cornerstone for all I care but it has to happen. Both Mt Barker & Hahndorf draw a lot of their juniors from Littlehampton which allow them virtually 2 teams in every age group. This still wont help the likes of Uraidla, Gum, Kersbrook, TV, Sedan etc in fielding all junior sides but I don't know what can. Don't say capping the bigger clubs numbers coz that's been done to death & wont work.

Compulsory A/B/Senior and Junior Colts.
Top country club goes up, bottom central goes down.
If top cant field all teams, the second side or minor premiers are offered the promotion, if they cant do it the bottom side stays put.
SIMPLE - EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASY

If the 'clubs' are the true owners of the league then the clubs can do anything they want - maybe two weeks after the GF the bottoms central plays top country to see who goes where....
Why can't the second club from barker be the current closest club to them? Why add yet another team when there are already facilityies etc around the corner.... Southern Demons.

That's what we have already, although it hasn't been compulsory & the top country side is based solely on A Grade results where as the bottom central is based on whole of club results..
cracka
Veteran

Postby The Sorce » Sat May 03, 2014 6:02 pm

Echunga beat Blackwood first win 16-11 to 12-6
Country Division
The Sorce
Under 16s

Been liked: 4 times

Postby FairDinkum » Sun May 04, 2014 12:15 am

Congratulations Echunga, I thought Blackwood had recruited heavily from Westies? Anyway Jesse Aish is a good in for you and a good bloke too.
Lobethal v Onkas, started tight, ended in one way traffic, we were still a bit sloppy but with Onkas only kicking 4 points in the second half and us about 9 goals it ended pretty quickly after half time really. Green was a star early but faded and was crunched every time he got near the ball by Snake Jenkin, Onkas will be querying their fitness tonight while we prepare for Torrens Valley.
FairDinkum
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times

Postby chopper7 » Sun May 04, 2014 9:13 am

FairDinkum wrote:Congratulations Echunga, I thought Blackwood had recruited heavily from Westies? Anyway Jesse Aish is a good in for you and a good bloke too.
Lobethal v Onkas, started tight, ended in one way traffic, we were still a bit sloppy but with Onkas only kicking 4 points in the second half and us about 9 goals it ended pretty quickly after half time really. Green was a star early but faded and was crunched every time he got near the ball by Snake Jenkin, Onkas will be querying their fitness tonight while we prepare for Torrens Valley.

Which one of the Jenkin boys is 'snake'? Good result in the end after hearing about the first half from the tigers!
chopper7
Under 16s

Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 24 times

Postby FairDinkum » Sun May 04, 2014 9:55 am

I think they call Snake the " better" Jenkin if that helps
FairDinkum
Rookie

Postby chopper7 » Sun May 04, 2014 10:04 am

FairDinkum wrote:I think they call Snake the " better" Jenkin if that helps

Is that straight from the Snakes mouth himself?
chopper7
Under 16s

Postby FairDinkum » Sun May 04, 2014 11:08 am

No, and sorry I've been told there is a better one, not the Meadows Coach but a junior player, hope that clears it up
FairDinkum
Rookie

Postby chopper7 » Sun May 04, 2014 3:40 pm

FairDinkum wrote:No, and sorry I've been told there is a better one, not the Meadows Coach but a junior player, hope that clears it up

You're not making sense here!? Is there one running around in the 15s as well?
chopper7
Under 16s

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy