Postby Damo 497 » Sun May 04, 2014 8:20 pm

Well done bloods. Any match reports?
Damo 497

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Re: R5 - West v Central Post Match

Postby Thiele » Sun May 04, 2014 8:25 pm

Good win by the Bloods. Did I hear right that Centrals had more inside 50's. Thought Hartlett was Bog for us. Reserves ended up in a draw 8.10 a piece.
James Ezard Joint 2009 Magarey Medalist

Personal views only not views of the West Adelaide Footy Club or Bedford Indstries
Thiele
Coach

Has liked: 149 times
Been liked: 78 times

Postby Kahuna » Sun May 04, 2014 9:01 pm

Damo 497 wrote:Any match reports?

Westies trainer has very nice legs.
End report.
Kahuna
League - Top 5

Has liked: 499 times
Been liked: 187 times

Postby kempey » Sun May 04, 2014 9:12 pm

Damo 497 wrote:Well done bloods. Any match reports?

No reports from the umps
But Scott Bricknell was taken from the ground with a very sore arm..... Trainers were supporting the area between the wrist and elbow.
Westies off to a flyer led 6-0 to 0-3 first quarter... had seven inside 50s!
Centrals kicked their first 11 minutes into the second.....
The game was goal for goal until the last quarter with Westies having a 33 point buffer....
Their defensive stuff was great.... Hartlett and Milne very good....
Central method into attack was poor - but this was a reflection of westies pressure on the ball carrier.
First 20 minutes of the last quarter each team scored two points
Westies kicked the last five... Still kicked three in four minutes.
(he spent some of the third quarter on the bench - maybe part of rotations.)
Westies looked very pleased (obviously) after the game - first win etc....
Roy spent a long time with the Bullies behind locked doors after the game and was not happy!
Mark Mickan would have been pleased with intensity
kempey
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 2 times

Postby CedeNullis » Sun May 04, 2014 10:52 pm

Good summary kempey. Centrals skill level and decision making was woeful today. "Westies pressure on the ball carrier" was impressive.
CedeNullis
Under 16s

Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 11 times

Postby Damo 497 » Sun May 04, 2014 10:57 pm

Thanks Kempey.
Damo 497

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby kempey » Sun May 04, 2014 11:04 pm

Scott Bricknell's injury may be ribs or lung related.
kempey
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 2 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon May 05, 2014 2:12 pm

Kahuna wrote:

End report.

Was going to post something similar. A bright light in a dismal day.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby am Bays » Mon May 05, 2014 2:23 pm

Kahuna wrote:

End report.

R&B back in the whites???
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon May 05, 2014 2:41 pm

Couldn't get anyone to come with me to this one - they're all glad they stayed home, or whatever it else is they were doing, I'm sure.

Things I learnt:
We won't play finals.
Westies goals are effing massive.
Westies have the hottest drink runner in the league.
The deck in front of the past players' bar is the best place to view the game with a beer in hand in the SANFL, sorry Coopers Hill.
No matter how old they are, former players are just as big a bunch a kids around their team-mates as they ever were.
Ken Eustice has suffered nothing, in the eyes of his former team-mates, for all of his trials and tribulations over the past 20 years - they still revere and love him as much as they ever have.
The Gowans boys can charm anyone (I should've already known this).

After watching the Dogs' reserves squander a lead and then scramble a draw, I was hoping for a positive contest from our boys in the seniors.
It was a must-win game in the context of the season.
The opening two minutes showed promise, in that we were moving forward and sending the ball into attack - what looked like promise,though, was a portent for the remainder of the game, the scene was set.
We delivered poorly to our forwards and with poor delivery comes predictability. This continued throughout the game.
We don't have the big bodies up forward to just bang the ball into contests and Retzlaff really needs to become more imposing if that is to happen.
Once the Bloods hit the scoreboard, their confidence rose and we started chasing guernseys.
They kicked goals with just about every opportunity they had, whereas we were wasteful moving forward, not only missing targets over distance but also in close.
For the second straight week, we saw comical mishandling of the ball in the forward line, resulting in a missed opportunity to score - second quarter, Retzlaff to a running Bulldog. Instead of landing in space and allowing the ball to run forward and the player to run into an open goal, the ball was kicked high and arced to the side of our player who was quickly over run.
We produce plenty of forward entries but our delivery lets us down time and time again. With our talent pool of the moment, we need to kick all of our 'sodas' and we miss far too many of them.
Wasteful use of possession and allowing Westies to break tackles, or run past, with ease were major concerns.
How we controlled much of the second half but scored so little is an indictment.
Westies were good and co-ordinated, but we gave them so much latitude that they looked a premiership contender, not the previously winless side they were.
Surpisingly, we were considered a chance, given our flood of forward entries in the third, to sneak past Westies in the final term and there was a feeling among the Centrals supporters that anything was possible. However, the Bloods withstood the torrent and went on to bang five goals, while we recorded our second goalless term for the game.

Had a very brief chat with James Gowans during the last term.
He reckons he could still outplay half the side that was out there. You'd expect him to say nothing less, given the personality of the boy, but...he may just be right.
Thommo was gutsy and battled hard, Barmby is a rare shining light for us this season and Glenn had his moments. Hard to mention many others.
Second efforts ordinary, gut running lacking and football nouse not evident. Some of the young fellows are plain lazy and play bruise-free footy - but, are all of the senior players setting the right example for them?

I don't like to post negatively about the lads and have not had much reason too for quite a few years, but yesterday was one of the worst performances I've ever seen from a CDFC outfit. It was back to the footy the club played in my childhood, the style that left us in the wilderness for so many years.
If I didn't have such a strong supporter code, I'd have done a 'Crowparture' and packed up and left at half-time. I stuck it out to the bitter end.
It's a long way back for us from here and while I'm not writing the season off totally, I would hope our recruiters are already working hard for next season and those in charge of player development are working on getting that take-no-prisoners work ethic and culture back to what it was in the not-so-distant past.

And...another thing:

Seriously, leave the female umpire alone. Some of the verbal directed at her from supporters of all sides, including my own, during the games in which I've seen her officiate are just terrible.
It was hilarious yesterday hearing an older Westies supporter having a go at her when his side was already six goals up.
Give her a break, folks. I reckon she's actually not doing a bad job.
Last edited by Dogwatcher on Mon May 05, 2014 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby tkr » Mon May 05, 2014 4:22 pm

Dogwatcher from a West supporter at the game you summed it up very well particular with your view regarding Central.

I thought our defence was really good for 4 quarters even though as you said the delivery into your forward 50 wasn't the best, the pressure our defenders put on opposition players was the best they have done so far this year. Hartlett had the best game I have seen him play at Westies, reminded me a lot like our ex captain Fergy, taking strong marks and controlling our defenders throughout the game. It was good to see a more attacking game from us, with the occasional flash back to defensive kicking back in the backlines hopefully this doesn't happen too often.

Regarding the female umpire I don't think she is confident to make some line-ball (pardon the pun) decisions but saying that I do think she has improved, maybe with more senior games she will gain that confidence.
tkr
Rookie

Has liked: 160 times
Been liked: 19 times

Postby MatteeG » Mon May 05, 2014 5:29 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:Westies have the hottest drink runner in the league..

Useless.without.pics. 8)
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Groucho » Mon May 05, 2014 8:23 pm

I finally found a positive from this disaster. Centrals beat the West Adelaide Full Forward by 4 points.
Groucho
Under 18s

Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 160 times

Postby dedja » Mon May 05, 2014 8:28 pm

Jeez, must be horrific, all that success in a decade and no flag in 3 years.

How do you cope?

Maybe follow South for 50 years to get some perspective.

Never has one's name been so apt.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 972 times

Postby Groucho » Mon May 05, 2014 8:42 pm

dedja wrote:Jeez, must be horrific, all that success in a decade and no flag in 3 years.

How do you cope?

Maybe follow South for 50 years to get some perspective.

Never has one's name been so apt.

Good on you. :roll:
I have supported Central since I was a young lad in 1964 and lived through the very dark years and endless finals losses and no Premiership for 36 years before the Great Day in 2000, so don't talk to me about perspective.

I knew the dynasty would finish one day but I didn't expect to return to being absolute crap, I lived those days and didn't want a repeat! ](*,)
Groucho
Under 18s

Postby Big Phil » Mon May 05, 2014 8:50 pm

Groucho wrote:I knew the dynasty would finish one day but I didn't expect to return to being absolute crap, I lived those days and didn't want a repeat! ](*,)

How do you know it will be a repeat of past struggles? Do you have a crystal ball? Would you have thought after the 1999 season that the club would have the success they did over the next decade?

Certainly a very 'glass half empty' type of person, aren't you, Groucho?
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 271 times

Postby Groucho » Mon May 05, 2014 8:56 pm

Big Phil wrote:
Groucho wrote:I knew the dynasty would finish one day but I didn't expect to return to being absolute crap, I lived those days and didn't want a repeat! ](*,)

How do you know it will be a repeat of past struggles? Do you have a crystal ball? Would you have thought after the 1999 season that the club would have the success they did over the next decade?

Yes, true unfortunately.
Groucho
Under 18s

Postby Bounce of the ball » Mon May 05, 2014 10:12 pm

Big Phil wrote:

What about you Phil , leaning towards empty or full?

Most just call it as it is without sitting on the fence so not to upset people. How having a reasonable opinion upsets is another story.

Back to the game , West will get better and had some return for this game but a more attacking style will be required as they progress.
Bounce of the ball
Reserves

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby Big Phil » Mon May 05, 2014 10:23 pm

Bounce of the ball wrote:What about you Phil , leaning towards empty or full?

I tend to be more 'half full', Bounce of the ball...

You certainly seem to be a full one as well...
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 271 times

Next

Board index   Football  SANFL