The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The 2014 season no AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby dedja » Mon May 12, 2014 9:40 pm

See, if the Malaysians had footy stats in MH370's black box then Spelly would find it in no time.

Appreciate the info ... as always.

Took your time though.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 992 times

Postby spell_check » Mon May 12, 2014 10:01 pm

dedja wrote:See, if the Malaysians had footy stats in MH370's black box then Spelly would find it in no time.

Appreciate the info ... as always.

Took your time though.

No worries :)

Just had another thought, if you wanted to do singular weekend attendances, then you may need to take into account any split rounds the SANFL have had. So, you may have had 6000 at 2 SANFL matches one weekend; 30000 AFL; following weekend 6000 SANFL, 40000 AFL. So one SANFL round, but two AFL matches played
spell_check
Coach

Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 178 times

Postby bennymacca » Mon May 12, 2014 10:06 pm

data above presented in graphic format so we can read it a bit easier. The coloured data points represent the entry of the crows and power to the AFL

bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby spell_check » Mon May 12, 2014 10:41 pm

That's better :)
spell_check
Coach

Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 178 times

Postby kickinit » Mon May 12, 2014 11:28 pm

heater31 wrote:
bennymacca wrote:No, it's just that some people actually come up with reasons why they might not like it. Not just that I hate the crows or port so therefore it is bad.

And for the record I am not pro reserves, I am still on the fence tbh. As I have said before it feels weird to have two sides I support in the same comp, and would prefer to have an AFL reserves comp. But I am definitely pro "the sky hasn't fallen in, and probably won't"

I hate the AFL franchises for what they have done. No respect for the competition that created them at all. Driven by their own self interests and screw anyone that gets in our way.....

What have we done? All we did was ask a question. Maybe you should change AFL Franchises to Sturt at they are the ones that have made this happen.

Also the SANFL didn't create PAFC. The PAFC was created in 1870 where the SANFL was created in 1877 known back then as the SAFA.
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 95 times

Postby sjt » Mon May 12, 2014 11:58 pm

Has anyone noticed in the week leading up to a crows reserves game the crows promoting the game as promised?
sjt
League - Best 21

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 59 times

Postby dedja » Mon May 12, 2014 11:59 pm

Yes, they did before the match against the Bays.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Postby smac » Tue May 13, 2014 1:11 am

Centrals asked for it not to happen from what I gather. In the interests of hoping to get a junior member from within our zone in the future.
smac
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby topsywaldron » Tue May 13, 2014 3:36 am

dedja wrote:Yes, they did before the match against the Bays.

Walker playing doesn't count you know.
'People are not stupid. They know when they are being conned. And two reserves teams operating in a League competition will reduce it to a farce, a competition without a soul.'

Dion Hayman 24th July 2013
topsywaldron
Veteran

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 218 times

Postby bennymacca » Tue May 13, 2014 8:12 am

topsywaldron wrote:

Yeah it kinda does.

At least in that week they were all over radio promoting the game. Same with the game at Clare. There are weeks where I haven't heard much though, but I only listen sporadically.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Tue May 13, 2014 8:15 am

Personally, I'm not interested in what the AFL attendances are, only the SANFL
From the stats it appears there was an average of about 9k per game prior to to Crows and Port. Since this I would think that average is more likely to be around the 3k mark.

This year will be another milestone with the lowest averages in SANFL in living history. Until next year of course, when that record will be broken again
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby johntheclaret » Tue May 13, 2014 8:26 am

bennymacca wrote:
topsywaldron wrote:

Yeah it kinda does.

At least in that week they were all over radio promoting the game. Same with the game at Clare. There are weeks where I haven't heard much though, but I only listen sporadically.

Bennymacca, you little tinker you. Are you returning from the dark side. Not before time but a welcome return to the Jedi ;)
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby dedja » Tue May 13, 2014 8:32 am

The reason I wanted to see AFL attendances as well is because I believe there is a natural saturation point in total football attendances.

If the interest in AFL increases, then there is a corresponding drop in the SANFL. There is only marginally more attendance today then there was in the 60's, 70's and early 80's, but we've had significant population growth in that period.

What surprised me from the graphs was that there was a bigger bounce when Port came into the AFL, but not so much with the Crows.

Anyway, it's clear the SANFL is in trouble and much needs to be done to ensure sustained interest.

As others have mentioned, there is a real danger that the SANFL will be completely irrelevant after our current generation.
dedja
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Tue May 13, 2014 8:38 am

A lot other things compete for our recreational dollar these days. Not just other sports but lots of things.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby cracka » Tue May 13, 2014 11:28 am

Wedgie wrote:Safooty.net got a mention on the MMM Rush Hour tonight thanks to this issue. Good work Andrew whoever you are! :)

No worries. Bit disappointed by Roo tho who said the forum was mainly negative towards everything. Also wanted to say about players not necessarily up to SANFL standard getting games for the crows but didn't get the chance.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 461 times
Been liked: 566 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Booney » Tue May 13, 2014 11:33 am

cracka wrote:
Wedgie wrote:Safooty.net got a mention on the MMM Rush Hour tonight thanks to this issue. Good work Andrew whoever you are! :)

No worries. Bit disappointed by Roo tho who said the forum was mainly negative towards everything. Also wanted to say about players not necessarily up to SANFL standard getting games for the crows but didn't get the chance.

If you were to take just a fleeting glance that would be the impression you would get.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7491 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby UK Fan » Tue May 13, 2014 11:51 am

dedja wrote:Norwood, Glenelg, Port, Sturt and North usually pull in the crowds.

West, Eagles, Central and South don't.

I think as recently as 2007 Centrals had the largest average attendance in the league. Judging by the benchmarking document from 2009, consistently been amongst the larger drawing clubs since 1996.

Which makes the decline in the last 2-3 years worrying.
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 502 times

Postby bennymacca » Tue May 13, 2014 12:01 pm

cracka wrote:

I don't really think you could disagree that there is more negativity than positivity on here. But that is true on almost every forum I have ever been on
bennymacca
Coach

Postby cracka » Tue May 13, 2014 12:07 pm

bennymacca wrote:
cracka wrote:

I don't really think you could disagree that there is more negativity than positivity on here. But that is true on almost every forum I have ever been on

Yeah I think that was his point but there have been some decent points made on this thread as to why its a bad idea having AFL reserves in the SANFL which is what I was trying to convey.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 461 times
Been liked: 566 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby bennymacca » Tue May 13, 2014 12:08 pm

Pretty hard to skim read without following it closely though. And given it is called the "whinge" thread also implies negativity.

Maybe a name change on the thread, and some cliff notes added to the first post that accurately summarises the discussion?
bennymacca
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL