SANFL MRP News & Discussions

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: 2014 Tribunal News & Discussions

Postby Big Phil » Sun May 11, 2014 11:01 pm

SANFLnut wrote:Slattery about to break Grocke's record? According to SANFL show on 5AA he hit a Sturt player late who was stretchered off and has jaw broken in a couple of places. Sometimes these incidents sound worse than they are but that level of injury is rare. Could be an interesting day tomorrow.

Yep. It was discussed a little bit in the live scores thread, in which I posted the below...

Jack Stephens allegedly has a suspected broken jaw, and lost a couple of teeth, as a result of the 'bump' from Henry Slattery. Heard tonight that Power coach Ken Hinkley was watching the game and has viewed vision of the incident with his immediate reaction being that Slattery would have copped a 2 week ban if it was in an AFL game...

Interesting that the Port Magpies officials, sitting behind the RPH Commentary crew today at Alberton, were VERY defensive of the 'incident' in question, even suggesting that Stephen's suspected broken jaw was as a result of hitting his head on the ground. Didn't realize grass was as hard as an elbow, allegedly?!!!

I think Slattery might be in trouble, but suspect he would have a good record and may only miss 1 or 2 games, based on what I saw live and the slow motion replay post game.
Last edited by Big Phil on Mon May 12, 2014 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 271 times

Postby CUTTERMAN » Mon May 12, 2014 12:44 am

I'm disappointed Whiskers didn't run onto the ground to remonstrate with how the player had been unfairly treated. Nice of Ken to part his wisdom on the matter though.
AFL FLOG.
'PAFC don't want any advantages in the SANFL. It would only take away from any achievements we earned.'
Keith Thomas ABC 891 Radio, 21/6/14.
CUTTERMAN
League - Top 5

Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 124 times

Postby matt35 » Mon May 12, 2014 5:31 pm

Slattery referred straight to the tribunal on a rough conduct charge.

Norwood's Ben Jefferies can accept a 3 game suspension.
No Surrender!
matt35
Under 18s

Has liked: 513 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby SimonH » Mon May 12, 2014 6:25 pm

Based on similar incidents (and seeming lack of concussion/other injury, as Haines played on), Jefferies would presumably be looking at 2 with an early plea and nil record, so it must be the carryover points from getting a kick in the GF that's costing him the 3rd.
SimonH
Under 18s

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 62 times

Postby robranisgod » Mon May 12, 2014 8:21 pm

matt35 wrote:Slattery referred straight to the tribunal on a rough conduct charge.

Norwood's Ben Jefferies can accept a 3 game suspension.

According to the SANFL website Slattery's conduct was intentional, the force was severe and the contact was high. That is the same as Grocke's indiscretion, it will be interesting to see what the tribunal comes up with.

And Jeffries did have carry over points from his report for kicking in the Grand Final. I never saw the kicking report but how anyone can be found guilty of kicking and get a reprimand is beyond me. I am inclined to think therefore that he was very unlucky to be found guilty of kicking thus accruing these carry over points.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 227 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders University

Postby SimonH » Mon May 12, 2014 11:52 pm

robranisgod wrote:According to the SANFL website Slattery's conduct was intentional, the force was severe and the contact was high. That is the same as Grocke's indiscretion, it will be interesting to see what the tribunal comes up with.

And Jeffries did have carry over points from his report for kicking in the Grand Final. I never saw the kicking report but how anyone can be found guilty of kicking and get a reprimand is beyond me. I am inclined to think therefore that he was very unlucky to be found guilty of kicking thus accruing these carry over points.
Not caught by the TV cameras, but if it was the incident that I recall, it wasn't "kicking" as the word is usually used, but actually an attempted trip (not sure whether minor contact was made).
SimonH
Under 18s

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 62 times

Postby Aerie » Tue May 13, 2014 12:02 am

As much as I'd like to see Slattery rubbed out for plenty of weeks to somewhat help even up the competition, the only thing he did wrong is slightly get off the ground when he bumped. Maybe 1-2 weeks for poor execution of the bump, but didn't think it was that bad. Unlucky for the Sturt player to break his jaw.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 504 times

Postby sigur » Tue May 13, 2014 2:24 pm

Aerie wrote:As much as I'd like to see Slattery rubbed out for plenty of weeks to somewhat help even up the competition, the only thing he did wrong is slightly get off the ground when he bumped. Maybe 1-2 weeks for poor execution of the bump, but didn't think it was that bad. Unlucky for the Sturt player to break his jaw.

Not sure how you would call it 'unlucky'. Slattery charged in from a good run up, was always going to hurt Stephens. Until the last few steps Stephens had his back to Slattery, had he maintained that stance then it would still be an illegal hit. The only way it could be legal was if Stephens had turned side on after he had hand passed, seen Slattery and braced for contact. 6 weeks and I can't see how you could argue for less.
sigur
Mini-League

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 2 times

Postby Booney » Tue May 13, 2014 2:47 pm

sigur wrote:
Aerie wrote:As much as I'd like to see Slattery rubbed out for plenty of weeks to somewhat help even up the competition, the only thing he did wrong is slightly get off the ground when he bumped. Maybe 1-2 weeks for poor execution of the bump, but didn't think it was that bad. Unlucky for the Sturt player to break his jaw.

Not sure how you would call it 'unlucky'. Slattery charged in from a good run up, was always going to hurt Stephens. Until the last few steps Stephens had his back to Slattery, had he maintained that stance then it would still be an illegal hit. The only way it could be legal was if Stephens had turned side on after he had hand passed, seen Slattery and braced for contact. 6 weeks and I can't see how you could argue for less.

This is how people now see football collisions.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7481 times
Been liked: 10770 times

Postby sigur » Tue May 13, 2014 4:08 pm

Booney wrote:This is how people now see football collisions.

Not sure what your point is Booney? Are you tring to say that what Slattery did was accidental/legal/within the spirit of the game?
sigur
Mini-League

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 2 times

Postby Booney » Tue May 13, 2014 4:33 pm

sigur wrote:

Not sure what your point is Booney? Are you tring to say that what Slattery did was accidental/legal/within the spirit of the game?

Tough to put into words, but this would once have been seen in the highlights real at the end of the year. Now it's the worst thing we've ever seen. Times have changed. This is now how collisions are seen.

Everything aside, nobody wants to see players get injured, that's goes for all of us.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7481 times
Been liked: 10770 times

Postby Aerie » Tue May 13, 2014 5:41 pm

sigur wrote:

The ball was in the air and the Port player was running to him. Quick hands by the Sturt player took the option of a tackle out of the equation - which I reckon Slattery was bracing for. Like I said, I reckon the fact his feet slightly left the ground and the Sturt player got injured, gives Slattery a couple of weeks suspension in this day and age. Nothing dirty like the Grocke incident.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 504 times

Postby SANFLnut » Tue May 13, 2014 5:46 pm

Much greater understanding now that if you intentionally go at a player rather than the ball and you get it wrong then you pay the price. Slattery clearly tries to make forceful contact (severe force, intentional), gets the timing wrong (late hit) and makes contact with head (judging by jaw break and teeth loss). Hard to see how it could be objectively judged any other way. Has to be minimum 6 weeks following that process.
SANFLnut
Reserves

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 65 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby Grahaml » Tue May 13, 2014 6:25 pm

Booney wrote:
sigur wrote:

Tough to put into words, but this would once have been seen in the highlights real at the end of the year. Now it's the worst thing we've ever seen. Times have changed. This is now how collisions are seen.

Everything aside, nobody wants to see players get injured, that's goes for all of us.

You don't have to see too many old footballers on the receiving end of those bumps in the old days tottering around like they're 90 when they're 55 to realise we need to do something.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby Big Phil » Tue May 13, 2014 7:31 pm

Port Magpies player Henry Slattery has been suspended for 5 weeks for his hit on Sturt's Jack Stephens...

SANFL Tweet wrote:@PAFC_Magpies Henry Slattery has been suspended for 5 Matches for Rough Conduct
Big Phil
Coach

Postby Big Phil » Tue May 13, 2014 7:41 pm

My gut feel, having seen it live on the day and then again on replay, was that it was probably a 3-4 week suspension, then with a good record down to 2-3 weeks. But, the Tribunal must have seen it worst than that and offered the 5 weeks. Looks like the Magpies will appeal it...
Last edited by Big Phil on Tue May 13, 2014 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Phil
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Tue May 13, 2014 7:56 pm

Wow, thats shocking. Didnt think it deserved anywhere near that
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby CUTTERMAN » Tue May 13, 2014 8:34 pm

Seems about right to me. First game back for the franchise whore will be v Sturt at Unley.
'PAFC don't want any advantages in the SANFL. It would only take away from any achievements we earned.'
Keith Thomas ABC 891 Radio, 21/6/14.
CUTTERMAN
League - Top 5

Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 124 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Tue May 13, 2014 9:13 pm

I watched it on video tonight. It was a cowardly act against a player whom Slattery knew he didn't know he was coming.
I compare this to some of the AFL bump suspensions which were accidental. Slattery should have got 8 games. Gutless act he didn't need to do
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby DOC » Tue May 13, 2014 9:53 pm

Peter Rolfe did not have to front as his striking charge was withdrawn, mainly because he was the one struck.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 729 times
Been liked: 2083 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL