The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The 2014 season no AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby bennymacca » Tue May 13, 2014 5:47 pm

cennals05 wrote:Rowey just said on FIVEaa that the reserves isn't working for the Crows and they would be better off going back to their original SANFL teams.

It's pretty clear the topup players aren't working. It seems like there needs to be some other form of filling those slots.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Aerie » Tue May 13, 2014 5:55 pm

Booney wrote:
cracka wrote:A couple of great posts there, but I think they are wasted on here.
More of you need to ring the radio stations & get these opinions out there if you truly want it changed.

Here it is....call me defeatist, a cynic, whatever you like, people power used to have clout, now the power of the dollar over rides anything else. The powers that be didn't listen in the first instance, they certainly aren't going to now.

This is true, however if the SANFL clubs don't see those dollars then it goes back to the drawing board.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 504 times

The 2014 season no AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby Jim05 » Tue May 13, 2014 6:27 pm

bennymacca wrote:
cennals05 wrote:Rowey just said on FIVEaa that the reserves isn't working for the Crows and they would be better off going back to their original SANFL teams.

It's pretty clear the topup players aren't working. It seems like there needs to be some other form of filling those slots.

It shouldnt be about whether its working for the Crows or not. It should be purely about what is best for the SANFL sides.
I think the majority of SANFL followers wouldnt care if they are never competitive
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby whufc » Tue May 13, 2014 6:46 pm

bennymacca wrote:Are there any Victorians on here that can share first hand experience of how it works in the VFL? There are still some clubs with no afl affiliation correct? As a rule how do they go with regards to support, crowds, success?

Do yourself a favour and search a poster called 'Brekky DJ'

He was a hardcore Port Melbourne fan in the VFL and posted numerous times on his experiences in how the VFL has changed over time.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2530 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby whufc » Tue May 13, 2014 6:48 pm

Aerie wrote:There is so much done to equalise sporting competitions throughout the world (drug testing, salary cap, drafts, handicaps) and what has happened to the SANFL is going the polar opposite to this. No matter which way you look at it, the introduction of two AFL Reserves teams is not fair.

There are positives and negatives and those who see a fair, even competition, as the number one consideration are rightly bemused by what has happened.

From an AFL viewpoint, the consideration of an even, fair competition is outweighed by the need for developing players and for them, currently at least, the best option is to do this in their own backyard both in terms of value for money and strength of competition. They will tell themselves that there is increased exposure to the SANFL. Dittmar said it's been great, then when asked if he'd been to an SANFL game this season, said "no, but have enjoyed watching some games on tv, especially the Clare game".

I am not convinced that the increased exposure to the SANFL via commercial TV is even close to benefiting my club enough to outweigh the negatives that come with the new format. There is no more coverage of my SANFL club than there was before. In fact, I would say there is less. I guess we'd have to wait to see the finances from this years Annual Reports to really know.

There are other ways, including having a weekly SANFL game at Adelaide Oval, that would give the competition prestige and generate interest. The use of social media and the web is more important than paying $1,000,000 to have the game shown on Ch7 - which is essentially the only benefit the AFL clubs have bought (via sponsorship) to the competition.

The Eagles vs Sturt game at Unley Oval, with a crowd of 4000, which was directly up against both Crows and Power games on the same day told me that there is enough interest in the SANFL for it to be viable without the "assistance" of AFL clubs.

What is desperately needed is the SANFL administration to apply the spirit in which 5RPH and LifeFM have to the competition to generate interest and use the capital they should have to make it high quality for the current HD generation.

I think the SANFL would be best to cut ties with Port and the Crows at the end of the season. If Port Magpies win the SANFL premiership this year, it will be an absolute disgrace.

There are other ways to keep relevance for a younger generation of footballers and an alignment between the AFL and SANFL and that is to supply Port and Crows with top up players via Under 20's to use in whatever competition they could go to (preferably AFL Reserves or at least VFL). I believe this could apply nationally with alignment of elite Under 18 sides to all AFL and State League clubs, but that is another matter. Keep Junior Football, Development/Reserves Football and State League Football - which can all still be feeders to the AFL - separate.

For now, I reckon the SANFL bite the bullet and go it alone. The mainstream media, who all seem to be official ambassadors for the Crows (http://www.afc.com.au/the-club/information/ambassadors), will give the SANFL hell, but I'm not convinced it is the mainstream media who will ensure the SANFL survives and prospers anyway.

The SANFL will never be the number one show in town, but it has a niche, and I'd love to see the SANFL and its clubs make every post a winner NOW, while there is still strong enough links to SANFL clubs for the majority of families in South Australia.

WOW one of the best posts this site has seen and sums up my view of the current landscape 110%
whufc
Coach

Postby LPH » Tue May 13, 2014 6:50 pm

Jim05 wrote:It shouldnt be about whether its working for the Crows or not. It should be purely about what is best for the SANFL sides.
I think the majority of SANFL followers wouldnt care if they are never competitive

Abso-friggin-lutely!!!

I wouldn't be disappointed if they went broke. Karma's a Bitch :lol:

Bet they seek to change the rules, though. :evil:
Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
LPH
League - Best 21

Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby whufc » Tue May 13, 2014 6:51 pm

Booney wrote:
cracka wrote:A couple of great posts there, but I think they are wasted on here.
More of you need to ring the radio stations & get these opinions out there if you truly want it changed.

Here it is....call me defeatist, a cynic, whatever you like, people power used to have clout, now the power of the dollar over rides anything else. The powers that be didn't listen in the first instance, they certainly aren't going to now.

Right with you Booney.

Unfortunately we live in a world where money rules all.
whufc
Coach

Postby LPH » Tue May 13, 2014 6:54 pm

Aerie wrote:What is desperately needed is the SANFL administration to apply the spirit in which 5RPH and LifeFM have to the competition to generate interest and use the capital they should have to make it high quality for the current HD generation.

I think the SANFL would be best to cut ties with Port and the Crows at the end of the season. If Port Magpies win the SANFL premiership this year, it will be an absolute disgrace.

Remember the old woman @ our "Information Night" last year?
A better Psychic than the one on Melbourne Housewives, me thinks.
LPH
League - Best 21

Postby LPH » Tue May 13, 2014 6:57 pm

Booney wrote:Here it is....call me defeatist, a cynic, whatever you like, people power used to have clout, now the power of the dollar over rides anything else. The powers that be didn't listen in the first instance, they certainly aren't going to now.

Never thought I'd say this, but I have to agree with a Port Supporter, Booney. 8)

Well said. :)
LPH
League - Best 21

Postby mal » Tue May 13, 2014 7:06 pm

This from a former Port Adelaide Magpie Footballer
I asked for his thoughts on the Port set up these days
Here is his response :

They are a bit of a hybrid this year
They have the best of both worlds , a carry over from last years Maggies along with AFL listed players from the Power
Next year they are purely a Power B grade , they no longer exist as a true club which nutures and develops local young footballers from its famous' Port Adelaide Region."
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1154 times
Been liked: 908 times

Postby mal » Tue May 13, 2014 7:09 pm

This is from another former Port Adelaide footballer

The current Port Power team is still the same team
We must acknowledge any achievements of the past and the future
This current Port team will lift the standard of the SANFL.
mal
Coach

Postby mal » Tue May 13, 2014 7:10 pm

This is from a dead set one eyed Port supPORTer

Mal I got to face 6 deliveries from you in my cricket career
I could only score a single in 6 balls
mal
Coach

The 2014 season no AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby Jim05 » Tue May 13, 2014 7:35 pm

bennymacca wrote:Are there any Victorians on here that can share first hand experience of how it works in the VFL? There are still some clubs with no afl affiliation correct? As a rule how do they go with regards to support, crowds, success?

Not a Vic obviously but have seen how the system works. Off the top of my head only 5 VFL clubs not affiliated with an AFL side currently, success is almost non existant, since the AFL took over at end of 1999, there has only been 1 flag won by a side not affiliated with an AFL side. Crowds are usually very poor and in the 1-2k range, Bendigo and Frankston regularly attract crowds estimated at about 500 though.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby mal » Tue May 13, 2014 8:32 pm

This is an advert placed in the News in 1977

The
Victorian
Football
League
Congratulate
The
South Australian
National Football league
On the attainment of
100 Years
1877-1977
mal
Coach

Postby daysofourlives » Tue May 13, 2014 8:52 pm

The Victorian clubs are all part of the AFL now, they are doing just fine.
What was the VFA is where the reserves teams are. Therefore no comparison to be made here.
If the Crows did join the SAAFL we could then compare
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby spell_check » Tue May 13, 2014 10:58 pm

dedja wrote:The reason I wanted to see AFL attendances as well is because I believe there is a natural saturation point in total football attendances.

If the interest in AFL increases, then there is a corresponding drop in the SANFL. There is only marginally more attendance today then there was in the 60's, 70's and early 80's, but we've had significant population growth in that period.

What surprised me from the graphs was that there was a bigger bounce when Port came into the AFL, but not so much with the Crows.

Anyway, it's clear the SANFL is in trouble and much needs to be done to ensure sustained interest.

As others have mentioned, there is a real danger that the SANFL will be completely irrelevant after our current generation.

The minor round crowd in 2011 for the SANFL averaged virtually the same as 1997, and since that year, only 1998 was greater (3219 for 1997 and 2011; 3689 for 1998). In two years (2011 to 2013) it fell to an all time low of 2622.
spell_check
Coach

Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 178 times

Postby Booney » Wed May 14, 2014 9:08 am

mal wrote:This is from a dead set one eyed Port supPORTer

Mal I got to face 6 deliveries from you in my cricket career
I could only score a single in 6 balls

Well, that couldn't have been me... ;)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7493 times
Been liked: 10776 times

Postby Booney » Wed May 14, 2014 9:11 am

Aerie wrote:
Booney wrote:

This is true, however if the SANFL clubs don't see those dollars then it goes back to the drawing board.

They "sold out" on the promise of greater income > security, they won't make wholesale changes after just one year when they've been led to believe that long term financial security is on offer.

I think, it all reality, the clubs were more desperate for revenue than many of us really understood. The promise of greater crowds, the annual dividend etc was too good to refuse.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7493 times
Been liked: 10776 times

Postby tipper » Wed May 14, 2014 9:35 am

Booney wrote:
Aerie wrote:
Booney wrote:

They "sold out" on the promise of greater income > security, they won't make wholesale changes after just one year when they've been led to believe that long term financial security is on offer.

I think, it all reality, the clubs were more desperate for revenue than many of us really understood. The promise of greater crowds, the annual dividend etc was too good to refuse.

but when half of my bolded part is proven to be absolute bollocks, could it push enough clubs to reconsider their acceptance?

what is the mechanism for getting rid of the reserves teams? i seem to remember talk of a yearly review, and any decisions to be implimented 12 months after the decision (so we are stuck with them next year at the very least, not that i think they will get voted out this year though), but what would need to happen for them to be ousted? another vote? i would assume a vote to kick them would need a majority of 6 clubs? (as the vote to accept them needed a vote of 6), is the evaporating crowds enough to turn the clubs against them?

from comments from the North "info night" though i feel confident that bodhan wont change his mind on the ressies clubs. i actually asked him directly if it didnt work, membership dived and crowds disappeared would he vote to get rid of them.... his response "without the members this club will fold". i shit you not, he would rather see North fold than vote the reserves clubs out of the league. North at least has hitched their wagon permanently to the afl :oops:
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby Panther Pack » Wed May 14, 2014 10:06 am

The VFL has turned into a joke currently there are 5 clubs without any affiliation to an AFL club however Bendigo and Coburg both used to have affiliations but have now split. both of these clubs are now at the bottom of the ladder and are the AFL's whipping boys. Speaking to my brother who lives in Bendigo a lot of supporters were originally against the affiliation with Essendon and now that the affiliation has ended Bendigo get thumped week in week out so even less people are interested. Overall he says the whole experience has hurt the club. I can only assume the same can be said for Coburg as they also are no good. Frankston another of the 5 clubs also hasn't won a game this season so I don't think it's working out well for them.

Port Melbourne are a strong club and have done very well over the years and also this year are 2nd, they have never been affiliated with an AFL club and this clearly has benefitted them as they won a few flags a few years back.

Williamstown used to be affiliated with the Bulldogs but are now going solo and are a mid table team. Andrew Collins coaches them.

Crowds except for Port Melbourne are not great!
Panther Pack
Reserves

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 139 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL