Abbott/Liberal Govt Watch

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: Abbott/Liberal Govt Watch

Postby tigerpie » Thu May 15, 2014 10:25 am

Jimmy_041 wrote:I had a good look t it today

The first budget in memory that I'm no worse off
Finally some relief for the middle class who cop it every time

So you dont drive and never get sick.....lucky you?
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby bennymacca » Thu May 15, 2014 10:25 am

Severe cuts to family tax benefit will hurt a lot of the middle class (I don't have kids)

Also having to support young people for longer as they start their university or look for a job will hurt too. Paying a LOT more for university will also sting

This article surprised me somewhat though, given it was a central plank of their election strategy. Could they be cooling off on the idea? I agree that it points to internal division. If implemented it will go a long way to helping the cuts mentioned above.

http://ab.co/1v3xkpm
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Jimmy_041 » Thu May 15, 2014 11:39 am

tigerpie wrote:

So you dont drive and never get sick.....lucky you?

Petrol up 1c per litre = around 20c per week
I pay to go to the doctor anyway (approx 3-4 times per year)
I can live with that
but don't worry, I'm sure Weathered and Mumbles will rain $hit down on my parade

Try this: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/see-how-the-budget-will-affect-you-with-this-five-minute-guide/story-fni0cx12-1226916579731

Mine says: no change
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby bennymacca » Thu May 15, 2014 12:08 pm

Middle class Australians and big business are the core voting blocs for the libs.

Lower class people and students are not.

Wonder who cops all the pain?
bennymacca
Coach

Postby gossipgirl » Thu May 15, 2014 12:37 pm

But Tony said that the pain would be shared around ........ he wouldnt lie ........ again !!!!!!
Adelaide Crows World champions 2017 - Crows 4.11 to Lions 4.5
gossipgirl
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 57 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby Jimmy_041 » Thu May 15, 2014 12:39 pm

Middle class people are the engine room of tax revenue - Poor people are not
Business risks capital and employs people. Poor people do not

Students are paying for an education to get a (better) job. They only have to pay it back when they earn a living and a good number never do. How are they copping pain?

My business and I cop all the pain to pay for them all.
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby dedja » Thu May 15, 2014 12:40 pm

The coalition under Abbott is just a propaganda machine. He uses the media to not only get his point of view across but disgraceful distorts and perpetuates outright lies in order to support his position.

A few examples.

Budget Emergency & Labor's debt disaster

If this is true, then why is his government INCREASING spending over the forward estimates ... thats right, increasing it, not decreasing it.

The pre-budget release of the completely political 'it's Labor's budget mess we're fixing' was classic propaganda, the stuff that North Korea would have been proud of.

Also, he has repeatedly decided the need to curb increasing spending on pensions. I'm not sure how Labor contributed to this long standing issue because they didn't. In fact, it was Labor under Hawke/Keating that introduced the Super Guarantee that we all now enjoy, and it was the previous Labor government under Rudd/Gillard that proposed to increase the Super Guarantee from 9% to 12% but was vehemently opposed by the coalition.

Budget Deficits

The Budget claims that 2014-2015 is forecast to deliver a $30B deficit with their budget measures, an improvement of $20B from the estimated position ($50B) due to Budget measures, therefore claiming a fiscal windfall of $20B due to their superior financial management. They also claimed the the previous Labor government 'cooked the books' to come up with their estimates. Well $8B of this $20B budget improvement comes from manipulating the Reserve Bank, effectively cooking the books as they accused Labor of doing. A significant portion of the remaining 'savings' are just cost shifting to the States and Territories, like reducing Health and Education payments. Then to make sure they have the best chance of getting there, the government rips unprecedented massive amounts out of the foreign aid budget, hoping that the xenophobia that drives the 'illegal boat crisis' will allow them to get away with it without too much scrutiny.

Health and Education

It is widely accepted that approx $80B LESS will be funded by the Federal Government for Health and Education over then next 10 years. This is a $80B cost shift from the Federal government to the States and territories. Gonski and NDIS pre-election commitments have been broken.

University funding will be reduced by approx 20%, with the shortfall to be recovered by allowing the Universities to set their own fees from 2016. Student repayments of HELP will increase due to the interest rate increasing from 2% to possibly 6%. A double whinny for Uni students.

The Federal government is trying to divert attention from this cost shifting in education and health by creating a health and medical research fund, which will be funded by the $7 co-payment for doctors visits. The figures of a $20B fund are impressive, but remember that overall the government will be cutting funding to the sector. I have worked and am currently associated with health and medical research so the fund is a great thing, but unfortunately created by deceit and by ripping out funding the Universities, who will therefore have LESS funding for their own research.

GST

Abbott and his colleagues consistently stated prior to the election that thy have no plans to increase the rate of GST, claiming that to change the rate all States have to unanimously agree. Well actually, they DON'T. The Federal government has the power to change the rate of the GST without the unanimous approval of the States.

Also, with their clear strategy of starving the States of funding in Health and Education, they have deliberately setup a fight with the States, in order to goad them into requesting and demanding more funding. Anyone's guess what will happen? Yes, that's right, the GST rate will increase and the States will be blamed for it by the Federal government, even though they (the Feds) deliberated caused the issue.

Stop playing politics and allow us to govern

This is the genius of Tony Abbott. From the day he became opposition leader, he had a very clear and deliberate strategy to throw every parliamentary convention out the window. Bi-partisanship was dead.

He requested the suspension of standing orders so many times we lost count. This was a calculated move to allow him to grandstand in parliament and grab media headlines to get his message across. He used politics at every opportunity, and on many occasions when it was totally inappropriate.

He also is the master of repeating his message ad-infinitum with his infamous '3 word slogans'. Listen very carefully to the way he speaks. He very deliberately doesn't try to accuse the Labor party or his opponents, he does it in a way of commentary to strong suggest that what he says is fact. Most journos fall for it every time and rarely question him on it. It's a very clever way to get a message across and to be part of the everyone's thinking.

Now in government, he has appointed the most partisan speaker in living memory who so blatantly is favouring the government in parliament that's its an embarrassment. This is to ensure that Labor doesn't resort to the tactics that he so successfully employed himself in opposition.

So he used his infamous 'wrecking ball' to make parliament and the act of governing almost impossible, regardless of how competent or otherwise the Labor government was at the time.

He has almost single handedly brought down any respect the electorate had in politicians and the running of parliament.

But now that he is in government, any attempt to make his government responsible for their actions is met with the 'you' re playing politics' response. Let us govern he says. Well, this is where the karma bus revs up.

So im summary, this government will no doubt in my mind be looked at as the most deceitful in living memory, and will drag it so far to the right that in years to come, it wouldn't be totally outrageous to suggest that John Howard may himself disassociate himself from it as Malcolm Fraser has clearly done in opposing his former party for so long.

I'm not confident that Labor has the ability to capitalise on the absolute gift that has been presented to them by Abbott. Labor has no real right to expect to form government for at least 6 years. The action of the current government has given them hope, and I'm an certain that Abbott will be brought down by his own party to save themselves from disaster when the enormity of what they have setup with this budget takes hold. Malcolm Turnbill will drag the party towards the centre where they belong.

We can only hope.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 972 times

Postby bennymacca » Thu May 15, 2014 12:50 pm

Great post!
bennymacca
Coach

Postby stan » Thu May 15, 2014 1:53 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:$240 million on chaplain programs for schools!!! Are you sure???

This is an old out dated program now. Wouldnt some find this offensive at some schools. Considering at primary schools we find that the minorities find Easter and Christmas offensive so why are we spending 240mil on this?
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Psyber » Thu May 15, 2014 2:04 pm

stan wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:$240 million on chaplain programs for schools!!! Are you sure???

This is an old out dated program now. Wouldnt some find this offensive at some schools. Considering at primary schools we find that the minorities find Easter and Christmas offensive so why are we spending 240mil on this?

I thought it was a waste of money when John Howard introduced it.

However, although I think religion is irrelevant to schooling, I found it an interesting diversion at secondary school and kept changing denomination to sample the different varieties. I never got around to being Catholic because I wasn't motivated to walk to their Church in the rain, but I had one year as an Anglican out of curiosity. I was surprised the school never seemed to notice I was a different denomination each year...
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby dedja » Thu May 15, 2014 2:06 pm

Yes Poodle, you definitely are ...

It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 972 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Thu May 15, 2014 3:09 pm

Psyber wrote:
stan wrote:

However, although I think religion is irrelevant to schooling, I found it an interesting diversion at secondary school and kept changing denomination to sample the different varieties. I never got around to being Catholic because I wasn't motivated to walk to their Church in the rain, but I had one year as an Anglican out of curiosity. I was surprised the school never seemed to notice I was a different denomination each year...

They were discussing this on the radio this morning - it is not religious
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby gossipgirl » Thu May 15, 2014 3:13 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:Middle class people are the engine room of tax revenue - Poor people are not
Business risks capital and employs people. Poor people do not

Students are paying for an education to get a (better) job. They only have to pay it back when they earn a living and a good number never do. How are they copping pain?

My business and I cop all the pain to pay for them all.

perhaps you should be a speech writer for Tony :D
Adelaide Crows World champions 2017 - Crows 4.11 to Lions 4.5
gossipgirl
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 57 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby Jimmy_041 » Thu May 15, 2014 3:15 pm

I couldn't write like he speaks..............................
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Psyber » Thu May 15, 2014 3:27 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:
Psyber wrote:
stan wrote:

That's the theory, but my experience with my religious friends is that they struggle to leave religion out of whatever they are doing or saying, no matter how much they try.

Recently, in a discussion of social issues with a very bright lawyer friend who is practising Christian, I noticed that even he was struggling to find words to say what he wanted without the religious terms, which he was trying to do out of respect for my atheism.

He seemed relieved when I said, "Use your religious terms and I'll filter them out at my end."
The conversation became much less stilted and more free-flowing then, and we found we agreed in principle on most of the issues.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby bennymacca » Thu May 15, 2014 3:39 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:I...... couldn't...... write........ labor mess....... uhhhhhhh......... like...... he....... speaks..............................

fyp
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Thu May 15, 2014 6:12 pm

Psyber wrote: "Use your religious terms and I'll filter them out at my end."

I do this all the time
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri May 16, 2014 7:49 am

Game of thrones fans will get this
Attachments
got.JPG
got.JPG (313.38 KiB) Viewed 3363 times
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby shoe boy » Fri May 16, 2014 9:46 am

Jimmy_041 wrote:
Psyber wrote:
stan wrote:

mate are you taking the piss!!!!
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Fri May 16, 2014 10:40 am

Don't shoot the messenger
Jimmy_041
Coach