Round 7 - Glenelg v Central @ Gliderol inc Post Match

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Round 7 - Glenelg v Central @ Gliderol inc Post Match

Postby wild dog » Tue May 20, 2014 12:57 am

Couldn't be arsed explaining the logistics, understand the reason for placing the poles due to keeping the community complacent. If you're happy, that's the main thing.

Dogs lack of penetration caused by panic and some pressure. We lost, you won, but in my opinion at an away ground that does not suit us, its not all doom. Lack of depth is killing us.

Yep I would think Glenelg would have been disappointed with their home ground turn out.
wild dog
Under 18s

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 180 times
Grassroots Team: Smithfield

Postby Gravel » Tue May 20, 2014 9:08 am

With other issues dominating the SA football landscape I am concerned that the decline of Central appears to be flying under the radar. Low memberships, terrible attendances, financial losses, poor junior results and now poor league results, and after a decade of dominating the competition. What has gone wrong? I just wonder what the SANFL commission and league directors are doing about it – they appear more intent on swanning around in corporate boxes at AO than managing and controlling the affairs of the SANFL as is their charter?
Gravel
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 8 times

Postby whufc » Tue May 20, 2014 1:12 pm

West Indies cricket team 80's- 90's
Australian cricket team 1995-2000's
Brisbane Lions 2000's
Chicago Bulls 1990's

There is always a period of decline after such a long dynasty!
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5588 times
Been liked: 2529 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby wild dog » Tue May 20, 2014 1:56 pm

Crowds started suffering IMO when I noticed a large drop off in the younger supporters while we were still dominating. Coincided with the pressure being placed on the club to clear out those wascally webels. In reality the problem was there in most other clubs, not just ours, and it was merely a way of bringing us back to the pack. We did ourselves no favours during the initial popularity of the night matches, not allowing all and sundry back to the club. There is no doubt as is normally the case with lower socioeconomic areas, the GFC created huge problems.

Add to that the dilution of the competition to reserves status and we have a perfect storm.
wild dog
Under 18s

Postby kneedeepinthehoopla » Tue May 20, 2014 4:30 pm

wild dog wrote:Crowds started suffering IMO when I noticed a large drop off in the younger supporters while we were still dominating. Coincided with the pressure being placed on the club to clear out those wascally webels. In reality the problem was there in most other clubs, not just ours, and it was merely a way of bringing us back to the pack. We did ourselves no favours during the initial popularity of the night matches, not allowing all and sundry back to the club. There is no doubt as is normally the case with lower socioeconomic areas, the GFC created huge problems.

Add to that the dilution of the competition to reserves status and we have a perfect storm.

We sure did on satdy!
kneedeepinthehoopla
Under 16s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 54 times

Postby whufc » Tue May 20, 2014 7:16 pm

wild dog wrote:Crowds started suffering IMO when I noticed a large drop off in the younger supporters while we were still dominating. Coincided with the pressure being placed on the club to clear out those wascally webels. In reality the problem was there in most other clubs, not just ours, and it was merely a way of bringing us back to the pack. We did ourselves no favours during the initial popularity of the night matches, not allowing all and sundry back to the club. There is no doubt as is normally the case with lower socioeconomic areas, the GFC created huge problems.

I know amongst my friends a lot of the casuaul (home game supporters) tended to drop off in the mid 2000's when we were smashing teams at home by 6 plus goals every week. They got real complacent would only go to the big home games ala Port, Norwood etc and finals, and then it became just finals and now its not at all.

This also coincided with the likes of Eastern Park, Elizabeth, Brahma Lodge all rising through the division of the amateur league as well.

The price increase definatly dropped off a lot of supporters who will now just watch a ammo game for cheaper.

I have also noticed a huge drop off of the soccer supporters at the northern end hill. This has concided with the Northern suburbs now dominating both div1 and div2. A lot of these soccer clubs like the Downs are also having much bigger home game crowds and adding things such as bands after the game on a Sunday afternoon as well.

It wouldn't have helped that supporter comfort hasn't changed at Elizabeth since the 90's with the only addition being a new toilet block, a new hotdog and beer van and stuff all else.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5588 times
Been liked: 2529 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Tue May 20, 2014 7:26 pm

wild dog wrote:Pleasant day spoiled by the footy and the big bloody light poles strategically placed in front of spectators.

Centrals should have won it, the number of inside 50's in the last quarter where we made panicked decisions cost us. Tom Collier crashed about the place and there were some bays players hearing footsteps.

Thought as a visiting side our supporter turn out, while down on previous years, we still out number the pathetic turn out of Glenelg supporters visiting Elizabeth.

I guess Glenelg Oval is a nicer place to visit.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 447 times
Been liked: 1210 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby wild dog » Tue May 20, 2014 7:47 pm

PatowalongaPirate wrote:
wild dog wrote:Pleasant day spoiled by the footy and the big bloody light poles strategically placed in front of spectators.

Centrals should have won it, the number of inside 50's in the last quarter where we made panicked decisions cost us. Tom Collier crashed about the place and there were some bays players hearing footsteps.

Thought as a visiting side our supporter turn out, while down on previous years, we still out number the pathetic turn out of Glenelg supporters visiting Elizabeth.

Elizabeth Oval is the equivalent and free secure parking thrown in.
wild dog
Under 18s

Postby Spargo » Tue May 20, 2014 7:49 pm

PatowalongaPirate wrote:

....apart from those light poles blocking out so much of the play (and not only one of them - there's FOUR!!!!)
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5478 times
Been liked: 5119 times

Postby Spargo » Tue May 20, 2014 7:50 pm

wild dog wrote:Elizabeth Oval is the equivalent and free secure parking thrown in.

Are you the only club that offers this service?

Spargo
Coach

Postby wild dog » Tue May 20, 2014 7:54 pm

whufc wrote:

I know amongst my friends a lot of the casuaul (home game supporters) tended to drop off in the mid 2000's when we were smashing teams at home by 6 plus goals every week. They got real complacent would only go to the big home games ala Port, Norwood etc and finals, and then it became just finals and now its not at all.

This also coincided with the likes of Eastern Park, Elizabeth, Brahma Lodge all rising through the division of the amateur league as well.

The price increase definatly dropped off a lot of supporters who will now just watch a ammo game for cheaper.

I have also noticed a huge drop off of the soccer supporters at the northern end hill. This has concided with the Northern suburbs now dominating both div1 and div2. A lot of these soccer clubs like the Downs are also having much bigger home game crowds and adding things such as bands after the game on a Sunday afternoon as well.

It wouldn't have helped that supporter comfort hasn't changed at Elizabeth since the 90's with the only addition being a new toilet block, a new hotdog and beer van and stuff all else.

Agree with most of your observations. Downs have done well with the second and now third generation taking on roles and being big parts of the club. Well done to them, but sad that I don't see many faces at the footy any more.
wild dog
Under 18s

Postby wild dog » Tue May 20, 2014 7:55 pm

Spargo wrote:
wild dog wrote:Elizabeth Oval is the equivalent and free secure parking thrown in.

As far as I know. I know Glenelg doesn't.
wild dog
Under 18s

Postby Spargo » Tue May 20, 2014 8:28 pm

wild dog wrote:
Spargo wrote:

And why do you reckon you're the only club that does this?

Spargo
Coach

Postby sjt » Tue May 20, 2014 9:43 pm

Spargo wrote:
wild dog wrote:
Spargo wrote:

To attract people to the game, to be pro active, to provide a service, convenient parking close to the ground.
sjt
League - Best 21

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 59 times

Postby tigerpie » Tue May 20, 2014 10:42 pm

Having the unwanted space helps
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 500 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby sjt » Tue May 20, 2014 10:52 pm

tigerpie wrote:Having the unwanted space helps

Yep, but I don't think the school would agree its unwanted space.
sjt
League - Best 21

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 59 times

Postby wild dog » Tue May 20, 2014 10:54 pm

Spargo wrote:
wild dog wrote:
Spargo wrote:

I don't have any particular theory beyond trying to provide convenience to supporters, both of the club and visiting clubs. I previously paid my $5 to the school across the road, or when that has been full parked about the ground as we all do at most suburban grounds.
wild dog
Under 18s

Postby tigerpie » Tue May 20, 2014 10:56 pm

sjt wrote:
tigerpie wrote:Having the unwanted space helps

Yep, but I don't think the school would agree its unwanted space.

They are kinda important for some folk!
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Postby wild dog » Tue May 20, 2014 11:05 pm

Good relations between Centrals and the bowls means the club gets use of the adjacent land, as well as the school across the road. Why call it unwanted space?
wild dog
Under 18s

Postby tigerpie » Tue May 20, 2014 11:09 pm

wild dog wrote:Good relations between Centrals and the bowls means the club gets use of the adjacent land, as well as the school across the road. Why call it unwanted space?

Think about it....
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL