SAAFL division 6 2014

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Who will win the division 6 grand final?

Angle Vale
3%
Blackfriars OS
7%
Central United
2%
Fitzroy
13%
Ingle Farm
10%
Lockleys
4%
Mawson Lakes
13%
Mitchell Park
6%
Rosewater
33%
West Croydon
8%

Total votes : 98

Re: SAAFL division 6 2014

Postby scottroo » Mon May 26, 2014 5:05 pm

We have access to our bar for 6 months of the year, its worked by volunteers in part and a paid bar man when appropriate
scottroo
League - Best 21

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 172 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby jo172 » Mon May 26, 2014 5:09 pm

morell wrote:Out of curiosity, whom on here owns their own bar, as in, when you buy a beer, where and to whom does that money go, and along a similar vein, who staffs the bar, volunteers or paid workers?

Our bar is a conduit of money from the patrons of the football club to propping up a cricket club.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby Arch44 » Mon May 26, 2014 5:12 pm

Sheik Yerbouti wrote:
Arch44 wrote:
Mr Beefy wrote:I see Fitzroy are building a nice squad, with Chris McLean and Nathan Rayner playing the last couple, a clearance in for Inness Chatham too plus others recently cleared. Put an end to Mawson's finals aspirations on Satdy.

I have been thinking the same Mr B. Saw them train a bit in the preseason and watched them against Blackfriars and thought they are bit better than their early form. Will definitely be around the mark.

Chatham play for West Croyden last year?

Never heard of him before?
Hogg Shield Div IV 2018 Winner
Arch44
League - Top 5

Has liked: 717 times
Been liked: 272 times

Postby Arch44 » Mon May 26, 2014 5:13 pm

morell wrote:Out of curiosity, whom on here owns their own bar, as in, when you buy a beer, where and to whom does that money go, and along a similar vein, who staffs the bar, volunteers or paid workers?

We have a paid bar manager and all profits go to the club.
Arch44
League - Top 5

Postby morell » Mon May 26, 2014 5:15 pm

jo172 wrote:

Our bar is a conduit of money from the patrons of the football club to propping up a cricket club.
Ditto. Except for us its a Cricket Club, Dog Club, Tennis Club and Rugby Club.

We do not see a single cent from our bar.

Of course, this comes from the insistence from Council which stipulates that to use their building, their oval, their lights, we have to be a broader sporting club, not just a footy club, this is despite the Football Club probably contributing to >60% of the money and >75% of the work.

Thats structural problem #1 of about 70 of why Mitchell Park cannot currently pay players.

But hey, its ALL in our control, right Jetters and marbles? We should just demand use of the bar and tell Council to get stuffed. Of course we would likely get kicked out and SHOCOS would take control of the site, but you know, Jetters and marbles know all.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1141 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby Arch44 » Mon May 26, 2014 5:16 pm

Arch44 wrote:
Sheik Yerbouti wrote:
Arch44 wrote:
Mr Beefy wrote:I see Fitzroy are building a nice squad, with Chris McLean and Nathan Rayner playing the last couple, a clearance in for Inness Chatham too plus others recently cleared. Put an end to Mawson's finals aspirations on Satdy.

I have been thinking the same Mr B. Saw them train a bit in the preseason and watched them against Blackfriars and thought they are bit better than their early form. Will definitely be around the mark.

Says getting cleared from Adelaide plains league.
Arch44
League - Top 5

Postby Robb_Stark » Mon May 26, 2014 5:17 pm

is there any loophole you can exploit ??
Robb_Stark
League - Best 21

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 155 times

Postby morell » Mon May 26, 2014 5:18 pm

We're working on it ;)
morell
Coach

Postby great catch » Mon May 26, 2014 5:29 pm

Arch44 wrote:
Sheik Yerbouti wrote:
Arch44 wrote:

Inness Chatham played for fitzroy a couple years ago this year went to port Wakefield now going back to fitzroy never played for west Croydon
great catch
Rookie

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 13 times

Postby Jetters » Mon May 26, 2014 5:38 pm

morell wrote:
jo172 wrote:

Ditto. Except for us its a Cricket Club, Dog Club, Tennis Club and Rugby Club.

We do not see a single cent from our bar.

Of course, this comes from the insistence from Council which stipulates that to use their building, their oval, their lights, we have to be a broader sporting club, not just a footy club, this is despite the Football Club probably contributing to >60% of the money and >75% of the work.

Thats structural problem #1 of about 70 of why Mitchell Park cannot currently pay players.

But hey, its ALL in our control, right Jetters and marbles? We should just demand use of the bar and tell Council to get stuffed. Of course we would likely get kicked out and SHOCOS would take control of the site, but you know, Jetters and marbles know all.

Why would you highlight 'ALL' when I clearly, and deliberately, wrote 'most'?

You have difficulties accessing your share of bar revenue. Fair point. However, you have great facilities (which look like getting redeveloped) and are open more nights of the week than most. Everyone has their own advantages and disadvantages.

You prefer to blame others and look for excuses for why clubs arent performing, I prefer to attribute the majority of success/non-success to the club itself.

In our area (Unley, Mitcham, Glenunga, CLG, Goodwood, Kenilworth etc) we are all subject to similar circumstances to build a football club and yet these clubs typically range from Div 1 to 6 (some of the typically lower div clubs have improved over the last couple of years). Some clubs have some advantages/disadvantages others don't, but overall the #1 thing that surely attributes to a clubs success failure is its management.

FWIW, I also disagree with the principles behind your player payment example.
Jetters
Reserves

Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 119 times
Grassroots Team: Unley

Postby Mr Beefy » Mon May 26, 2014 5:39 pm

Arch44 wrote:

We have a paid bar manager and all profits go to the club.
Ditto, and along with the 12 months revenue we get the 12 months expenses which can be quite a burden during the slow months
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 406 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby morell » Mon May 26, 2014 5:43 pm

**** me. No wonder we can't compete.

What % would bar takings contribute to the overall revenue of your clubs?
morell
Coach

Postby jo172 » Mon May 26, 2014 5:57 pm

morell wrote:**** me. No wonder we can't compete.

I'm jelly.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby Sheik Yerbouti » Mon May 26, 2014 6:12 pm

OK Thanks, heard Innes had gone to WC last year, apparently not.
Hey soccer you owe us 45million.
Sheik Yerbouti
League - Best 21

Has liked: 201 times
Been liked: 204 times

Postby Mr Beefy » Mon May 26, 2014 6:19 pm

Without having the numbers handy it is far too high. I'd say last year might have been around 80% but I'd say that was a bit of a spike due to the new rooms. Our bar takings alone were 150% above a previous year's total revenue. Our challenge is to maintain our revenue or increase it by diversifying our revenue streams. We have doubled our membership numbers and now have 4 x 8 ball teams. Hopefully we will put a cricket team on the park soon.
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 406 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby old farmer » Mon May 26, 2014 9:04 pm

IFFC recieve no money from the Ingle Farm sporting club. The sporting club get all the money from the bar and kitchen which cater for all 8 sporting bodies that form our club. Each sport has it's own committee that run themselves through the hard work of our volunteers. We recieve benefits from the IFSC, such as lighting bill, will pay for bands on a Saturday night if we have one, Carton of beer or a free meal for the A grade etc. Apart from that our canteen, funraising, subs and the support of some nice sponsors (thanks to the hard work of our sponsorship manager) is what we run our club on. All clubs go through good times and bad times, but if your club is ran correctly and is a place people want to be around then the good times will outweigh the bad.
Success is not final; failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts....
old farmer
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 112 times
Grassroots Team: Ingle Farm

Postby Yank Man » Mon May 26, 2014 9:07 pm

Mr Beefy wrote:

Without having the numbers handy it is far too high. I'd say last year might have been around 80% but I'd say that was a bit of a spike due to the new rooms. Our bar takings alone were 150% above a previous year's total revenue. Our challenge is to maintain our revenue or increase it by diversifying our revenue streams. We have doubled our membership numbers and now have 4 x 8 ball teams. Hopefully we will put a cricket team on the park soon.

Included in our footy budget also is complete funding of our juniors. We only charge them $60 for subs at the moment until we can develop a full group. They cost us between $4 and $6k for a season but will be worth it in the long term. The footy club also pays the 'sporting club' for the priviledge of using the facility at $20 a head for every player and member. Don't get me started on the Mitchell Park Sporting Club. Fact is 85 percent of their income is footy, juniors, cricket and the gorgeous gals from the netball club, and they are all associated in one way shape or form to the Football Club. ;)
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 317 times
Grassroots Team: Edwardstown

Postby Former Roo » Mon May 26, 2014 9:52 pm

Very smart work from Rosies.. Dropping a couple when there's nothing on the line to relieve what surely was some crippling pressure and expectations on the lads. Spending $50k on players was never going to guarantee instant success but it will guarantee a premiership come September. A champion team will always beat a team of champions but it has no real chance against a team of superstars bonded by a love of cash!! Word is they'll go as far ensuring they finish second or third as they're desperate to avoid a repeat of last year's Greg Norman at the '96 Masters impersonation.
Former Roo

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Para Hills

Postby Yank Man » Mon May 26, 2014 10:14 pm

Former Roo wrote:Very smart work from Rosies.. Dropping a couple when there's nothing on the line to relieve what surely was some crippling pressure and expectations on the lads. Spending $50k on players was never going to guarantee instant success but it will guarantee a premiership come September. A champion team will always beat a team of champions but it has no real chance against a team of superstars bonded by a love of cash!! Word is they'll go as far ensuring they finish second or third as they're desperate to avoid a repeat of last year's Greg Norman at the '96 Masters impersonation.

=)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 317 times
Grassroots Team: Edwardstown

Postby bulldogs » Mon May 26, 2014 11:19 pm

Some interesting reading and I feel for those clubs struggling.
Surely you run your club to a budget if you can budget for paying players say 20k that's all you pay, if it's 5k then you pay 5. If it's nothing then you don't pay. Need to have certain individuals from with in who are in control of sponsorship/ fundraising and ensuring all fees are paid. Some clubs are luckier to be blessed with people who are better suited to these positions. If you do pay, it is wise just not to spend on any Jo blo. Get right people into the club who will give a bit back and embrace the club, do your homework before signing players.
bulldogs
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 15 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League