Weirdest thing you have seen on a football field

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: Weirdest thing you have seen on a football field

Postby bennymacca » Fri May 09, 2014 3:17 pm

Mythical Creature wrote:Great thread!

The weirdest thing I have seen on a footy field was in 2008 when we (United) were playing against Hummocks in a prelim final at Virginia. Probably about 5-10 minutes into the final quarter and we were down by about 5 goals and the game beginning to get away from us. As a consequence there started to be a few scuffles every minute or so, nothing too serious but the crowd were getting involved.
The ball comes towards me and over my head towards our forward pocket, so I turn around to chase it and remember hearing behind me the crowd going nuts, so I naturally assumed there must be a bit of argy bargy going on. Anyway keep competing for the ball until a Hummocks player clears it from defence where I remember turning around and looking up and everybody around me including opposition all stopped and gone WTF?

A streaker had ran onto the field and as he was jumping in the air he tripped over himself and knocked himself out cold when his head hit the ground. He was out for a few minutes and had to be stretchered off the ground, one of the trainers threw their hand towel over him for some modesty. :D

Blessing in disguise for us as the break in play helped and we kicked 5 or 6 goals really quickly and hit the front. Then sadly a Hummocks player kicked a goal basically on the siren with the ugliest floater ever seen. :(

i think we have a winner so far :D
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Animus » Fri May 09, 2014 3:30 pm

I believe some Portland or Adelaide Uni people may have a humorous tale from last weekends game that would fit this thread nicely.
Animus
Under 16s

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby bennymacca » Fri May 09, 2014 3:36 pm

Animus wrote:I believe some Portland or Adelaide Uni people may have a humorous tale from last weekends game that would fit this thread nicely.

Cool story bro
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Extractor » Fri May 09, 2014 3:36 pm

bennymacca wrote:We played a game at Williamstown once where the frost didn't clear from the oval until around midday. Not quite snow but probably as close as you could get in SA

The creek flooded once about 15 years ago when we played there. Nobody could leave until well after the A Grade.

Pretty sure they won the A grade about 3 goals to 2.
Extractor
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: Gawler Central

Postby bennymacca » Fri May 09, 2014 3:37 pm

Remember hearing about that now you mention it.

Not sure why they don't play more games at lyndoch
bennymacca
Coach

Postby The Panther » Fri May 09, 2014 4:30 pm

I was coaching an under 14 game when the kid on the scoreboard was having trouble changing the score after a point. I then saw my full back run about 80m jump up on the score board change the score and then run back to his opponent and stand next to him like nothing had happened.
The Panther
Under 16s

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 58 times

Postby RustyCage » Fri May 09, 2014 4:34 pm

Port v Glenelg at Alberton Oval years ago, late 90s or early 2000s maybe. Big Glenelg ruck man crashes into the goal post while trying to get a hand on a shot for goal. The goal post crashes to the ground. No one is sure what to do until one bright spark from the SANFL brings out a mini league goal post and sticks it into the ground where the goal post used to be. The goal umpire kindly told him where to go
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby Jim05 » Fri May 09, 2014 6:46 pm

Extractor wrote:
bennymacca wrote:We played a game at Williamstown once where the frost didn't clear from the oval until around midday. Not quite snow but probably as close as you could get in SA

The creek flooded once about 15 years ago when we played there. Nobody could leave until well after the A Grade.

Pretty sure they won the A grade about 3 goals to 2.

Pretty sure that was the game Central only kicked 1.0 for the game and that goal came towards the end of the final quarter, Barossa kicked about 10 for memory
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby DoublebluTiger » Fri May 09, 2014 7:55 pm

Couple of things come to mind:

1) In a under 14's elim? final being held at Goolwa on a sunday a little old lady to proceeded to walk across the oval from the North Eastern pocket to the South Western pocket while the game was in play. Didn't alter her path, just kept on walking through as the game went on around her. It was found out later that she was going to church and had always crossed the oval to get to the church and wasn't going to alter course for a game of football.

2) Early days of night games at Strathalbyn and they were hosting Yankalilla. As both A grade teams are warming up out on the ground at their respective ends, the word comes out from the runners to the teams that there's been a major crash on one or the nearby arterial roads and that the Royal Adelaide hospital helicopter needs to land on the oval because it is most suitable spot; flat, vast and lit up like a christmas tree. So all players and spectators have to get off the oval. About 15 minutes later the helicopter comes in and lands at CHF at the scoreboard end spraying all in sundry with dry grass clippings. The Ambo drives out on the oval, delivers the patient/s and both it and the helicopter promptly leave the oval. The game was delayed by about 30 odd mins or so and Strath ended up winning the game.
Success is in trying
DoublebluTiger
Under 16s

Been liked: 50 times

Postby daysofourlives » Fri May 09, 2014 10:23 pm

bennymacca wrote:Remember hearing about that now you mention it.

Not sure why they don't play more games at lyndoch

That would be because its a rugby oval during winter, thought you would have known that being the expert on, well everything
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby bennymacca » Fri May 09, 2014 11:06 pm

i asked the question fkwit. honestly.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Freo HeaveHo » Sat May 10, 2014 9:08 am

Another weather related one. I played in under age game at South adelaide where the fog was that bad you couldn't see past the centre. That's noarlunga for ya though. Anything can happen there

Also seen a guy take a mark the siren sounds down a few points in a heated game and flip the bird to the opposition bench before he had even kicked the goal. And proceeds to kick a toro might I add
Freo HeaveHo
Reserves

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 14 times

Postby Freo HeaveHo » Sat May 10, 2014 9:09 am

torp * that was !!!!
Freo HeaveHo
Reserves

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 14 times

Postby redden whites » Sat May 17, 2014 9:00 pm

Graham cornes
redden whites
League - Best 21

Been liked: 8 times
Grassroots Team: Jamestown-Peterborough

Postby kempey » Mon May 26, 2014 8:37 pm

The Ian Wallace count was good,
I saw David Granger playing for Solomontown at Port Pirie the day he belted two West Augusta players. Suspended for 11 games.
The story of the two Glenelg teams at the Bay was good as was the Stan Wickham story on the bike!
kempey
Under 16s

Been liked: 2 times

Postby finn » Mon May 26, 2014 9:21 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Animus wrote:I believe some Portland or Adelaide Uni people may have a humorous tale from last weekends game that would fit this thread nicely.

Cool story bro

Apparently a Uni player was pushed into the point post and hit it so hard that the padding came off; the Portland player kicked the goal and turned around to be confronted by the Uni player who started hitting him with the goal padding.
Free kick and another goal to Portland.

Playing Fitzroy's C grade in 1990 at Park 10, one of their defenders had enough after being yelled at by their coach, took off to the changerooms, got changed, hopped on his motorbike, rode onto the ground and did a huge wheelie from the centre through the goals at the Lion Hotel end. The goal umpire gave it the big goal action as the Lions player zoomed off.

The one with everybody lining up across the half backline and 4 players in the middle is known as the Wedge or the Flying V at Uni.
always forgive your enemies...nothing annoys them so much
finn
League - Best 21

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 22 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby bennymacca » Mon May 26, 2014 10:50 pm

haha those were awesome
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Tue May 27, 2014 10:19 am

Game at Campbelltown Oval back in the 90's and a Magpie started swopping a Boundary Umpire on the wing, it was very aggressive and the umpire obviously didnt like the attention, he was on the ground curled up in a ball screaming while play went on, gold!
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Executive Member » Tue May 27, 2014 11:11 am

Back in the old CDFA Days Slaisbury West v Brahma Lodge at Salisbury West
The new send off rule just introduced and a player from Brahma Lodge bench run on as player got sent off
As Salisbury West called for the count, Brahma Lodge players scattered everywhere
By the time the players lined up and a count done Brahma Lodge only had 14 players on the ground, blokes hid in cars with one car taking off down the road with a player in it
Funnily enough once the game started Brahma Lodge had the full compliment back on the field
Executive Member
Veteran

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 140 times

Postby HH3 » Tue May 27, 2014 11:31 am

Executive Member wrote:Back in the old CDFA Days Slaisbury West v Brahma Lodge at Salisbury West
The new send off rule just introduced and a player from Brahma Lodge bench run on as player got sent off
As Salisbury West called for the count, Brahma Lodge players scattered everywhere
By the time the players lined up and a count done Brahma Lodge only had 14 players on the ground, blokes hid in cars with one car taking off down the road with a player in it
Funnily enough once the game started Brahma Lodge had the full compliment back on the field

You sure someone didnt yell "COPS!!!!"...?
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2432 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy