Foxtel Cup 2014

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Foxtel Cup 2014

Postby bennymacca » Wed May 28, 2014 10:52 am

My point exactly. You need the best teams at full strength to increase the prestige of it. Moving it to pre season doesn't do this, but it would still probably be a better scenario.

Ideally I think the best thing to do would be to have a small carnival in the mid season break of the afl. Could have a whole weekend set up where it is all about the second tier comps. Could incorporate the state games into the weekend too.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby JK » Wed May 28, 2014 11:02 am

bennymacca wrote:My point exactly. You need the best teams at full strength to increase the prestige of it. Moving it to pre season doesn't do this, but it would still probably be a better scenario.

Ideally I think the best thing to do would be to have a small carnival in the mid season break of the afl. Could have a whole weekend set up where it is all about the second tier comps. Could incorporate the state games into the weekend too.

I'd doubt that timing suits for Foxtel and I'd also highly doubt anyone else is going to cough up he money for it.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4460 times
Been liked: 2988 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Dutchy » Wed May 28, 2014 11:05 am

Why wouldnt have they played the Norwood game next Tuesday after the weekend off?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2325 times
Been liked: 3505 times

Postby Aerie » Wed May 28, 2014 12:23 pm

Dutchy wrote:Why wouldnt have they played the Norwood game next Tuesday after the weekend off?

If I was Norwood, I would rather the extra week rest before the next SANFL game than more rest before a Foxtel Cup game.

The Foxtel Cup is a nice concept in theory, but in reality there are bigger fish to fry and it is just a disruption to the season.

West only took it seriously last year because they were in a financial mess thanks to their CEO and needed the money. It potentially cost them a chance at a Premiership.

I agree, a pre-season Foxtel Cup would be better and would be the only format where the clubs that put their State League first could take it semi-seriously.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 506 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Wed May 28, 2014 12:31 pm

you'd think norwood would have taken it seriously cause it's the only real chance they have of winning a trophy ;)
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3025 times
Been liked: 2401 times

Postby bennymacca » Wed May 28, 2014 12:34 pm

what would it take for this to be considered more prestigious than an SANFL premiership?

what if you could create a higher tier premiers dont play SANFL at all and just play in a national competition? now that would certainly shake things up!

top 2 from WA, SA, VIC, 1 from Tas, NEAFL to create an 8 team league?

would mean just 7 teams in the WAFL which isnt enough, but it would leave 8 in the SANFL and 14 in the VFL.

from the initial point onwards the worst SANFL team in the national comp plays off against the SANFL premier for promotion or relegation.

not saying i 100% like the idea, but just throwing it out there. i think it would be very interesting.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed May 28, 2014 12:37 pm

This competition will only mean something when the AFL Reserves (or South Eastern Football League, featuring AFL reserves sides) starts and replaces it.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby JK » Wed May 28, 2014 12:41 pm

bennymacca wrote:what would it take for this to be considered more prestigious than an SANFL premiership?

what if you could create a higher tier premiers dont play SANFL at all and just play in a national competition? now that would certainly shake things up!

top 2 from WA, SA, VIC, 1 from Tas, NEAFL to create an 8 team league?

would mean just 7 teams in the WAFL which isnt enough, but it would leave 8 in the SANFL and 14 in the VFL.

from the initial point onwards the worst SANFL team in the national comp plays off against the SANFL premier for promotion or relegation.

not saying i 100% like the idea, but just throwing it out there. i think it would be very interesting.

Admire you having a crack at trying to find a way of making a national series work. In the one above, unless some seriously lucrative sponsorship could be attained (and new sponsorship, not existing sponsors removing their $$ from the local leagues) then it would be too expensive for the clubs.

Also removing drawcards from local leagues could have a negative impact on interest and matchday revenue. The last thing any league outside of the AFL would (or should) want is another competition potentially damaging it's own long standing competition.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Wed May 28, 2014 12:46 pm

Yeah good post. The Aussie market probably isn't big enough for a second tier national comp either. If the second tier clubs were getting 10k to games it could work but they aren't
bennymacca
Coach

Postby philcas » Wed May 28, 2014 12:53 pm

As a Norwood supporter & member I am very angry how our club has treated & disrespected this competition. As a far as I am concerned they have let themselves, our supporters, members & sponsors down & have lost some respect from everyone in the football community that we have worked hard to gain over the last 136 years
I respect & am proud of the guys who played for the NFC last night. & know they did their very best.
I can not accept putting a team on the park not capable of competing let alone winning
I love winning & I can accept a loss but I can not accept what we did as a club last night
I have made my point in an email to the club asking for an apology
If we are to play in a competition we should have enough pride to give ourselves the very best opportunity to win or at least be competitive. & not lose respect because it didn't quite suit us.
philcas
Rookie

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 21 times
Grassroots Team: Athelstone

Postby heater31 » Wed May 28, 2014 12:58 pm

Unless Norwood lied about the so called unavailability of a majority of first choice players due to work what else could be done?

Norwood does not pay them full time wages and therefore forced to work with those that could afford the time off their work outside of football.

Tim Webber probably the exception as he is well advanced in a medicine degree and most likely needed to attend to those commitments first.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby SimonH » Wed May 28, 2014 1:16 pm

heater31 wrote:Unless Norwood lied about the so called unavailability of a majority of first choice players due to work what else could be done?
Norwood could decline the invitation to participate, as it has done before. It's not like just a week out from the Foxtel Cup fixture, the club suddenly realised, 'oh crap, lots of our players have got jobs and won't be able to get the time off to travel!'
SimonH
Under 18s

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 62 times

Postby bennymacca » Wed May 28, 2014 1:27 pm

Also doesn't explain westies putting an u18 side on the park when they played at home...
bennymacca
Coach

Postby smac » Wed May 28, 2014 2:01 pm

Fairly certain the clubs all made a commitment to accept the invitation from last season onwards.
smac
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby bennymacca » Wed May 28, 2014 2:08 pm

so nobody else sees the irony in Norwood tanking in this game, yet people complaining that the afl reserves teams have other priorities?

so you only have to try in competitions that you care about?
bennymacca
Coach

Postby JK » Wed May 28, 2014 2:11 pm

bennymacca wrote:so nobody else sees the irony in Norwood tanking in this game, yet people complaining that the afl reserves teams have other priorities?

OK BM, You've made your point that you're a Crows fanatic. Comparing an invitational tournament in which only select clubs can compete to the pinnacle of a club's staple league competition is comparing apples with oranges.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed May 28, 2014 2:13 pm

I thought he was on the fence. You've misread Benny, JK.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby smac » Wed May 28, 2014 2:13 pm

bennymacca wrote:so nobody else sees the irony in Norwood tanking in this game, yet people complaining that the afl reserves teams have other priorities?

You're comparing the SANFL, a competition of more than 100 years that is being belittled by AFL club involvement with the Foxtel Cup, a competition with 4 years of trying to be something but failing? Reckon you fell off the fence you've claimed to be sitting on.
smac
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby JK » Wed May 28, 2014 2:15 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:I thought he was on the fence. You've misread Benny, JK.

I want my fence back ;)
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Wed May 28, 2014 2:22 pm

lol guys, i was just asking the question.

ill state it for the millionth time. i dont like the crows reserves in the SANFL and would prefer them in their own afl reserves comp.

BUT

the hyperbole about this being the end of the SANFL, and the squealing about how they wont try but will also be too good and crowds will go down even though it is the supposed diehards that are causing that problem etc etc etc is the thing that does my head in.
bennymacca
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL