2014 State Game - SANFL v VFL @ Port Melbourne (Sat 31/5)

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: 2014 State Game - SANFL v VFL @ Port Melbourne (Sat 31/5

Postby LBT » Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:55 am

I wonder which state reps Godden will coax to the Eagles next season?
LBT
League - Best 21

Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 23 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby Aerie » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:20 am

LBT wrote:I wonder which state reps Godden will coax to the Eagles next season?

Any good ones from Glenelg in there? Any one from Glenelg in there?

For those whinging about everything - that guernsey has been used for State representative sides for over 40 years, including Amateur League.

I haven't been a huge fan of the concept in the past, but the commitment from the players to this guernsey has always been of the highest standard and it is a reward for the players who put in huge efforts week in week out and I enjoy watching this game now. Considering the big names our competition has lost in the past few years, it is a good effort to still put out a quality team that has beaten all the other State Leagues.

That group of players and coaching staff did SA proud yesterday. Well done to them.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 503 times

Postby Wedgie » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:08 pm

Bounce of the ball wrote:
Wedgie wrote:
PhilH wrote:Only one VFL league game this weekend - Richmond v Essendon, All other clubs had a bye.

They're dumb, but were dumber.
These games really needs to be pissed off.
Can't complain though, allowed people like me to enjoy a great rugby game on TV instead of spending hundreds at a SANFL venue.
Would any other business give up tens of thousands of revenue to lose money on a junket that hardly anyone cares about?
Nice work SANFL.

State footy or representative footy has been going on for years . It rewards the best players in a competition to play against another similar competition.

They still playing the SFL V GSFL ( or HSFL at times ) aren't they ? Ring and get that stopped ,the Winies are losing heaps !!

Good game of footy . Saw no throwing back to go forward............ :lol:

SFL v GSFL doesn't have to be played interstate costing the league and club mega bucks for no benefit.
And even SoO had less impact on our competition in a match that got 50,000 instead of less than 2,000.
Don't give a rats how many players the Winies lose, it doesn't impact on the Sunday Under 16s team which is the team I follow every week.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Wedgie » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:12 pm

Also the fact that a lot of the best players from each league don't play in this game makes it irrelevant when comparing leagues, if the best players from each comp were involved it would be relevant and probably an easy win to the Vics too.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby SANFLnut » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:09 pm

How would the SANFL state side have gone against the Port Magpies this weekend?
SANFLnut
Reserves

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 65 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby atlantahawks » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:09 pm

[quote="Wedgie"]Also the fact that a lot of the best players from each league don't play in this game makes it irrelevant when comparing leagues, if the best players from each comp were involved it would be relevant and probably an easy win to the Vics too.[/quote]

As far as I'm aware only Kurtze was unavailable for the SANFL among players who were fit. How many of the best VFL players weren't playing? Pretty sure both camps were close to 100% full strength.

I thought the final margin was pretty appropriate for the relative standard of the 2 comps.
atlantahawks
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Jim05 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:27 pm

What about guys like McGuinness who didnt want to play? Pretty sure several guys made themselves unavailable
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby whufc » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:28 pm

Jim05 wrote:What about guys like McGuinness who didnt want to play? Pretty sure several guys made themselves unavailable

I think Johann Wagner was another one who made himself unavailable.

;)
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5564 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Wedgie » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:29 pm

atlantahawks wrote:
Wedgie wrote:Also the fact that a lot of the best players from each league don't play in this game makes it irrelevant when comparing leagues, if the best players from each comp were involved it would be relevant and probably an easy win to the Vics too.

As far as I'm aware only Kurtze was unavailable for the SANFL among players who were fit. How many of the best VFL players weren't playing? Pretty sure both camps were close to 100% full strength.

I thought the final margin was pretty appropriate for the relative standard of the 2 comps.

Dozens weren't available for the VFL as were many not available for the SANFL due to the rules in place that don't allow AFL listed players in the game. As AFL players play in the respective comps (with many more in the VFL) the only fair indication of where the comps stand would be to included them. At least it would have some relevance then, yesterdays match has none.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby tigerpie » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:39 pm

State footy or representative footy has been going on for years . It rewards the best players in a competition to play against another similar competition.

They still playing the SFL V GSFL ( or HSFL at times ) aren't they ? Ring and get that stopped ,the Winies are losing heaps !!

Good game of footy . Saw no throwing back to go forward............ :lol:[/quote]
SFL v GSFL doesn't have to be played interstate costing the league and club mega bucks for no benefit.
And even SoO had less impact on our competition in a match that got 50,000 instead of less than 2,000.
Don't give a rats how many players the Winies lose, it doesn't impact on the Sunday Under 16s team which is the team I follow every week.[/quote]
I hope your lad thinks differently.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 497 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby Jim05 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:41 pm

whufc wrote:
Jim05 wrote:What about guys like McGuinness who didnt want to play? Pretty sure several guys made themselves unavailable

;)

Cant believe the big fella didnt get a call up.
Easily the best full forward in the comp
Jim05
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:45 pm

Jim05 wrote:
whufc wrote:

;)

Best player in the history of the whole game!
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby whufc » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:47 pm

Jim05 wrote:
whufc wrote:

;)

Exactly has not made a single mistake at SANFL league level.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5564 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby RB » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:55 pm

Wedgie wrote:
atlantahawks wrote:
Wedgie wrote:Also the fact that a lot of the best players from each league don't play in this game makes it irrelevant when comparing leagues, if the best players from each comp were involved it would be relevant and probably an easy win to the Vics too.

Dozens weren't available for the VFL as were many not available for the SANFL due to the rules in place that don't allow AFL listed players in the game. As AFL players play in the respective comps (with many more in the VFL) the only fair indication of where the comps stand would be to included them. At least it would have some relevance then, yesterdays match has none.
I think it had more relevance than if it had included AFL players. It was the top non-pros from each league.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby Wedgie » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:58 pm

RB wrote:
Wedgie wrote:
atlantahawks wrote:

I think it had more relevance than if it had included AFL players. It was the top non-pros from each league.

Nup. At least if it was the best of 100% of one league against the best of 100% of another it would be a true indication of the gap between the leagues.
Best of 40% v best of 80% means its completely irrelevant to use as any indication. Means nothing.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby daysofourlives » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:19 pm

Wedgie wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
whufc wrote:

;)

Best player in the history of the whole game!

Ease up fellas, he is of course only the best forward in the history of the game outside that group of 6 that were collectively the best forward line ever seen in SANFL history who wore the fruit loops colours for one week in round 4
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Bounce of the ball » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:18 pm

Wedgie wrote:
Bounce of the ball wrote:
Wedgie wrote:
PhilH wrote:Only one VFL league game this weekend - Richmond v Essendon, All other clubs had a bye.

They're dumb, but were dumber.
These games really needs to be pissed off.
Can't complain though, allowed people like me to enjoy a great rugby game on TV instead of spending hundreds at a SANFL venue.
Would any other business give up tens of thousands of revenue to lose money on a junket that hardly anyone cares about?
Nice work SANFL.

Good game of footy . Saw no throwing back to go forward............ :lol:

Don't give a rats how many players the Winies lose, it doesn't impact on the Sunday Under 16s team which is the team I follow every week.

Not losing revenue revenue when the shield is on . Thats clever.

Anyway , hope you enjoyed the rugby.
Bounce of the ball
Reserves

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby Big Phil » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:52 pm

I don't think Keiran didn't not want to play, wasn't it more about not being able to get the time off work...
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 271 times

Postby Big Phil » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:53 pm

whufc wrote:

;)

Joey was actually at the game down in Port Melbourne, yesterday !!!
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 271 times

Postby Jim05 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:55 pm

Big Phil wrote:

I don't think Keiran didn't not want to play, wasn't it more about not being able to get the time off work...

Might of been the case for the Foxtel Cup game but not sure about the state game.
Dont know if to believe Rowe or not but he stated a couple of times that Kieran informed them he didnt wish to play as he had other priorities
Jim05
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL