2014 State Game - SANFL v VFL @ Port Melbourne (Sat 31/5)

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: 2014 State Game - SANFL v VFL @ Port Melbourne (Sat 31/5

Postby Big Phil » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:56 pm

Who were the dozens of VFL players not available, Wedgie?

I spoke to their coach over here in Melbourne, for FOOTe TIMES, and he never said anything about having dozens unavailable when I asked him about the make-up of his squad coming together...
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 271 times

Postby SimonH » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:04 am

Wedgie wrote:Dozens weren't available for the VFL as were many not available for the SANFL due to the rules in place that don't allow AFL listed players in the game. As AFL players play in the respective comps (with many more in the VFL) the only fair indication of where the comps stand would be to included them. At least it would have some relevance then, yesterdays match has none.
That's weird. Where there are 10 AFL sides based in Victoria, and 2 in South Australia, it's neither controversial nor interesting to observe that the non-selected AFL players running around in the VFL each week are going to be far more numerous than those running around in SA—and so if you had to form a notional 'best 22' out of them (for some unknown reason), it would probably be better than the best 22 non-selected AFL players playing in the SANFL. What "relevance" there would be in proving that 10 > 2, in a battle of the out-of-favour AFL-listers, is anyone's guess. Even presuming that the AFL clubs would release their 'best' non-selected players to play in the game, that kind of 'best of the rejects' model doesn't sound like any interstate contest I've ever heard of. Whereas the best players who are contracted to play in the SANFL, and in fact play each week in the SANFL, versus their counterparts from the VFL selected on the same basis, is true to the spirit of interstate footy going back to the year dot.

If people think that's irrelevant, that's up to them. It's only been going for 135 years now, so I'm sure it'll fall into disuse some time soon.
SimonH
Under 18s

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 62 times

2014 State Game - SANFL v VFL @ Port Melbourne (Sat 31/5)

Postby Jim05 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:05 am

Big Phil wrote:Who were the dozens of VFL players not available, Wedgie?

I spoke to their coach over here in Melbourne, for FOOTe TIMES, and he never said anything about having dozens unavailable when I asked him about the make-up of his squad coming together...

Think he meant the AFL listed players.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Wedgie » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:55 am

Jim05 wrote:
Big Phil wrote:Who were the dozens of VFL players not available, Wedgie?

Think he meant the AFL listed players.

Lol, I'm glad someone understood, didn't think it was rocket science.
Must be asking the hard hitting questions Big Phil or they have a very stupid coach!
And I am speaking to Jim and Big Phil for SAFooty.net
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby RB » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:08 am

SimonH wrote:
Wedgie wrote:Dozens weren't available for the VFL as were many not available for the SANFL due to the rules in place that don't allow AFL listed players in the game. As AFL players play in the respective comps (with many more in the VFL) the only fair indication of where the comps stand would be to included them. At least it would have some relevance then, yesterdays match has none.
That's weird. Where there are 10 AFL sides based in Victoria, and 2 in South Australia, it's neither controversial nor interesting to observe that the non-selected AFL players running around in the VFL each week are going to be far more numerous than those running around in SA—and so if you had to form a notional 'best 22' out of them (for some unknown reason), it would probably be better than the best 22 non-selected AFL players playing in the SANFL. What "relevance" there would be in proving that 10 > 2, in a battle of the out-of-favour AFL-listers, is anyone's guess. Even presuming that the AFL clubs would release their 'best' non-selected players to play in the game, that kind of 'best of the rejects' model doesn't sound like any interstate contest I've ever heard of. Whereas the best players who are contracted to play in the SANFL, and in fact play each week in the SANFL, versus their counterparts from the VFL selected on the same basis, is true to the spirit of interstate footy going back to the year dot.

If people think that's irrelevant, that's up to them. It's only been going for 135 years now, so I'm sure it'll fall into disuse some time soon.
Top post.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby atlantahawks » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:52 pm

Extremely well said Simon!
atlantahawks
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Wedgie » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:06 pm

A good post but missed my point. All I'm saying if you want a gauge of the playing strength of each league then play the best from each league, not perfect but still a more accurate gauge than we currently have. While it continues to pick the best of a certain groups of players it can't be even considered a comparison of the two leagues.
Personally I don't want any form of the game as its a waste of money but the current format allows absolutely no conclusion to be gathered, its completely pointless.
Anyway, time to get over this pointless interruption to our comp and concentrate on this coming weekend of football that counts. The one positive of the game was that it reinforced how much byes sucked and thank Christ we've got rid of most of them!
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Big Phil » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:01 am

For those interested, here are some snaps I took from throughout the day of the State Game in Melbourne, last weekend...

Sorry for those who don't have Facebook...

https://www.facebook.com/phil.aspinall. ... tif_t=like
Last edited by Big Phil on Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big Phil
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:58 am

Great pics Big Phil! :D
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Big Phil » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:17 am

Wedgie wrote:Great pics Big Phil! :D

Thanks mate, was good fun taking them :)
Big Phil
Coach

Postby Sheik Yerbouti » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:21 pm

Wedgie wrote:A good post but missed my point. All I'm saying if you want a gauge of the playing strength of each league then play the best from each league, not perfect but still a more accurate gauge than we currently have. While it continues to pick the best of a certain groups of players it can't be even considered a comparison of the two leagues.
Personally I don't want any form of the game as its a waste of money but the current format allows absolutely no conclusion to be gathered, its completely pointless.
Anyway, time to get over this pointless interruption to our comp and concentrate on this coming weekend of football that counts. The one positive of the game was that it reinforced how much byes sucked and thank Christ we've got rid of most of them!

Better double up on those dementia pills dopey dick, pretty sure the last Sanfl/VFL state game at Port Melbourne you were there with me Sleeping Giant RTG, The NGS Lawyer, Pseudo, fat alberton & a few more Glenelg dingle berries. Pretty sure we fielded some Victorians & vice versa. Got the signed guensey on the wall.
& we had a very inebriated afternoon.
Hey soccer you owe us 45million.
Sheik Yerbouti
League - Best 21

Has liked: 201 times
Been liked: 204 times

Postby Wedgie » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:53 pm

Sheik Yerbouti wrote:
Wedgie wrote:A good post but missed my point. All I'm saying if you want a gauge of the playing strength of each league then play the best from each league, not perfect but still a more accurate gauge than we currently have. While it continues to pick the best of a certain groups of players it can't be even considered a comparison of the two leagues.

Better double up on those dementia pills dopey dick, pretty sure the last Sanfl/VFL state game at Port Melbourne you were there with me Sleeping Giant RTG, The NGS Lawyer, Pseudo, fat alberton & a few more Glenelg dingle berries. Pretty sure we fielded some Victorians & vice versa. Got the signed guensey on the wall.
& we had a very inebriated afternoon.

There was no AFL listed players mate, it was no different then!
Wedgie
Site Admin

Previous

Board index   Football  SANFL