Time for a ball re-design?

Talk on the national game

Is it time to upgrade the ball in Aussie Rules?

Yes
12%
No
53%
I like lamp
35%

Total votes : 17

Re: Time for a ball re-design?

Postby Zelezny Chucks » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:41 am

Not saying the game can't evolve it will organically but, if you look at all the things about today's game that people dislike, it has generally come about due to outside intervention and not ebbs and flows of tactics/trends.

Change for the sake of change is what makes a local league more entertaining to watch these days than the sport at the highest level and that is a crying shame.
Zelezny Chucks
League - Best 21

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 68 times
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:23 am

Zelezny Chucks wrote:Think it's a long bow to draw to compare this argument with politics or general engineering. Obviously innovation is a good thing but I can guarantee you that improvements that were made to the Model T were done with a goal in mind. i.e. make it faster, safer, more durable.

If you can honestly come up with a good reason to improve the ball by all means do it but I fail to see why something needs to change if there isn't and end goal in mind for it.

Kicking the ball longer would completely change the way the game is played, do we then decide that bigger ovals are needed to play on?

As an example, the decision to make all head high contact awarded, or in some cases maybe we should say "rewarded", with a free kick probably (I can't be @rsed finding stats) increased the incidences of head high contact due to players manipulating the rule to their advantage. It could then be argued that this had a flow on effect to the laughable situation we are now in when people who are genuinely contesting the ball are getting rubbed out for incidental contact as another way the powers that be are influencing the game when their initial attempt actually exacerbated the problem.

I think the only one that would genuinely improve the game would be a completely waterproof ball to make wet weather footy a better spectactle and probable save some cash in increasing durability of a ball. I honestly think if Sherrin had the ability to do this without changing the grip or other properties of the ball they would have!

I get your point about innovation being a good thing in general but I don't think you can apply it with a blanket rule to all situations.

Thanks for giving me a topic to rant on about I have been bored as **** at work this arvo.

you came up with most of the reasons already - more durable, easier to kick, kick further, consistency of distance, easier to see on TV, etc etc etc
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Zelezny Chucks » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:32 pm

So it doesn't need a re-design just subtle improvements which I am sure they have been doing all along!

By the way, I disagree with make it easier to kick further.
Zelezny Chucks
League - Best 21

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:01 pm

Ever tried to kick a waterlogged sherrin? Can't kick it anywhere near as far. So waterproofing let's you kick it further for longer etc
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Zelezny Chucks » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:46 pm

bennymacca wrote:Ever tried to kick a waterlogged sherrin? Can't kick it anywhere near as far. So waterproofing let's you kick it further for longer etc

I'm done, you are missing my point.
Zelezny Chucks
League - Best 21

Postby tigerpie » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:07 am

Whats with everyone wanting to make the game easier to play?

Its why we love it because its not easy to play.
Why not make the goals wider so its easier to kick them.
Make the grounds smaller and have zones so we dont have to be so fit.

About the only thing that has changed with the ball in 25 years is the consistancy in quality.

Leave the game alone FFS!
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 500 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby Booney » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:25 am

How did this get to 5 pages?

I haven't read any of it.....Sherrin's work fine, it's the people kicking it that are broken.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7488 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Previous

Board index   Football  AFL