Re: Adelaide Plains Football League

Postby OnSong » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:46 am

THACHY_7 wrote:If APFL play YPFL then have 2 games
17's followed by A grade.
Then North East can do the same against Nortern Areas somewhere else
And have 17's followed by A grade.
Then the 2 A grade winners of each game play off the following year

Would make the most sense IMO
Right in front of me. RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!
OnSong
Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 543 times

Postby Hazbeen » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:09 am

In the 90's it was like that with the 2 winners playing off on the Monday of the long weekend
Hazbeen
Veteran

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 122 times
Grassroots Team: Hummocks-Watchman

Postby OnSong » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:30 am

Hazbeen wrote:

In the 90's it was like that with the 2 winners playing off on the Monday of the long weekend

I wouldn't want to play on Monday.
Right in front of me. RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!
OnSong
Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 543 times

Postby RooShootOhh » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:01 pm

This is clearly the best format, It means the winner from the previous year gets a chance to defend its title each year, and the the challenger has to win the 3v4 playoff the previous year to earn their crack at the shield.

2 ways to go about it, either split venues like mentioned above, but that would make it hard for talent identification from SANFL teams etc.
Or with just having to play 4 normal length games, all could be still held at 1 venue, 2 full kids games first then 2 full Seniors games to finish.

But when associations are going to force players to play, the mickey mouse two halves concept has to go, thats half the reason players dont want to play!

And Im not sure on having to have so many U23's in each side, either they are good enough and the format warrants the BEST players from each league selected, or make it a flat U25's for blokes trying to make it to the next level. The ammos have a simialr concept witht heir state side being U23's only. What do they want from it, showcase the best or breeding ground for promotion, cant go half arsed on both!
RooShootOhh
Under 16s

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 40 times
Grassroots Team: Waikerie

Postby Snags » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:03 pm

THACHY_7 wrote:
lutz wrote:How did Thach get a game before Galbraith?

He can take my spot, I won't be playing in this rubbish tournament again.
The quicker the league accept that this format is s**t, the better off it'll be.
Players sacrifice their Saturday on a long weekend to play 2x40 minute games.
We play our first game, then do nothing but wait around and let our body seize up, then play our final game 2 hours later.
Spoke with an U23 player and he said he too enjoyed driving 2 hours to sit on a 5 man bench and play 25% game time (which in this tournament equates to playing 10 minutes per game and 20 minutes for the day).
Why don't the APFL do what most other leagues do and play a full 4 quarter game against another league?

I also spoke to a young fella who actually loves representing his association (probably same bloke as you) but said the same as you, would much prefer to play 1 or 2 full games so then the coaches can have more impact with rotations instead of trying to fit them into such short games.. Personal thoughts cut the bench down to 3, make the games longer and that will allow more game time for all the people involved so then people don't think They have wasted there long weekend! Because at the end of the day everyone in the squad is good enough to be on the field just the game format doesn't allow for rotations
Snags
Under 16s

Has liked: 95 times
Been liked: 35 times

Postby magpieeagle » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:52 pm

THACHY_7 wrote:

The quicker the league accept that this format is s**t, the better off it'll be.
We play our first game, then do nothing but wait around and let our body seize up, then play our final game 2 hours later.
Spoke with an U23 player and he said he too enjoyed driving 2 hours to sit on a 5 man bench and play 25% game time (which in this tournament equates to playing 10 minutes per game and 20 minutes for the day).
Why don't the APFL do what most other leagues do and play a full 4 quarter game against another league?

Totally agree 100%,have never liked it,U17s should just play on a sunday like the U15/U14 and leave A grade to play two full games and rotate each yr,as for bench warmers,3 U17 spent nearly all day on the bench as did one U15 in there carnival,if you are only going to use 20 players then why choose 24, I see it every carnival and just a waste of players/parents time.
magpieeagle
Reserves

Has liked: 108 times
Been liked: 69 times

Postby Swamp Donkey » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:55 pm

THACHY_7 wrote:

Doesn't matter what level you play there will always be blokes sitting on the bench for extended periods. Agree five is too many and I'd say the coaches of these teams would probably agree. It must be difficult to rotate 23 players through 40 mins of footy.

Agree totally with the need to play full games. The current format is not very favourable for old fossils....... well so I'm told :D
Swamp Donkey
League - Top 5

Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 129 times
Grassroots Team: Wunkar

Postby Lame Choice » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:11 pm

Hats off to both Senior & U17 players this year. I thought the games were played in good spirit and we were fairly competitive in both grades. As an old bloke, it's a pleasure to see past names reappear from about the leagues as the generations pass. I'm sure as a player you may not appreciate the significance until you look back on it later. Is playing two half games in one day all that hard? After all, it is supposed to be a carnival and I would hope a few ex team mates from separate leagues had a chance to catch up with a beer or two.
I reckon if you are set that it's a pain in the arse, then that's probably all you'll get out of it. Also, someone always has to sit on the bench no matter where you play. The kids should still enjoy the experience of being part of the team I would hope.

Any news on suspensions? There ought to be a few I've heard.
"As long as I live, I will deny taking performance enhancing drugs" Lance Armstrong 2010
Lame Choice
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 30 times

Postby THACHY_7 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:40 pm

Lame Choice wrote:Hats off to both Senior & U17 players this year. I thought the games were played in good spirit and we were fairly competitive in both grades. As an old bloke, it's a pleasure to see past names reappear from about the leagues as the generations pass. I'm sure as a player you may not appreciate the significance until you look back on it later. Is playing two half games in one day all that hard? After all, it is supposed to be a carnival and I would hope a few ex team mates from separate leagues had a chance to catch up with a beer or two.
I reckon if you are set that it's a pain in the arse, then that's probably all you'll get out of it. Also, someone always has to sit on the bench no matter where you play. The kids should still enjoy the experience of being part of the team I would hope.

You're right someone has to sit on the bench.
Ask yourself this. Would u drive 2 hours on a long weekend to just sit on the bench? My answer along with most others is NO.
In a game that is 2x20 minute halves you could easily get away with 2-3 on the bench IMHO
Thus meaning 1-2 dont have to travel and play, meaning more game time for the other 3.
I am not having a crack at the coach about the lack of rotations, as its hard to give 23 guys enough playing time.
But driving 2 hours to play minimal minutes is what could make people not want to play Association footy every year.
My points were that having a 5 man bench in a game of 2x 20 minute halves is ridiculous and playing 2x 40 minute games 2 hours apart is even more ridiculous and increases the likelihood of players getting injured (and getting injured during Association footy is every club and players worst nightmare)
THACHY_7
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 16 times

Postby Snags » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:01 pm

THACHY_7 wrote:
Lame Choice wrote:Hats off to both Senior & U17 players this year. I thought the games were played in good spirit and we were fairly competitive in both grades. As an old bloke, it's a pleasure to see past names reappear from about the leagues as the generations pass. I'm sure as a player you may not appreciate the significance until you look back on it later. Is playing two half games in one day all that hard? After all, it is supposed to be a carnival and I would hope a few ex team mates from separate leagues had a chance to catch up with a beer or two.

Ask yourself this. Would u drive 2 hours on a long weekend to just sit on the bench? My answer along with most others is NO.
In a game that is 2x20 minute halves you could easily get away with 2-3 on the bench IMHO
Thus meaning 1-2 dont have to travel and play, meaning more game time for the other 3.
I am not having a crack at the coach about the lack of rotations, as its hard to give 23 guys enough playing time.
But driving 2 hours to play minimal minutes is what could make people not want to play Association footy every year.
My points were that having a 5 man bench in a game of 2x 20 minute halves is ridiculous and playing 2x 40 minute games 2 hours apart is even more ridiculous and increases the likelihood of players getting injured (and getting injured during Association footy is every club and players worst nightmare)

I have also heard no complaints from anyone about the coach or anyone complaining about being on the bench too much, all I have heard is peoples point of views of how it can be altered to make it better in a players point of view.. Everything I have quoted none has been said in a bad way by any players just simply suggestions on how to improve the carnival.. I'm sure thach is the same with everything he has quoted from players
Snags
Under 16s

Postby Lame Choice » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:31 pm

Snags wrote:
THACHY_7 wrote:

I have also heard no complaints from anyone about the coach or anyone complaining about being on the bench too much, all I have heard is peoples point of views of how it can be altered to make it better in a players point of view.. Everything I have quoted none has been said in a bad way by any players just simply suggestions on how to improve the carnival.. I'm sure thach is the same with everything he has quoted from players

Oh, I thought he said the comp was sh!t and he was never playing again...
I'm not against changes to format, but be careful we don't end up like bl&g. There are four leagues in this comp, not just apfl.
"As long as I live, I will deny taking performance enhancing drugs" Lance Armstrong 2010
Lame Choice
Under 16s

Postby Snags » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:29 am

Oh, I thought he said the comp was sh!t and he was never playing again...
I'm not against changes to format, but be careful we don't end up like bl&g. There are four leagues in this comp, not just apfl.[/quote]

The under 23 that me and thach have both spoken too has never said a bad word about the coaching or not wanting to play it again. He loves playing in the comp just thinks there could be a couple changes.. He will continue to represent the league because he loves playing at the next level!
Snags
Under 16s

Postby Lame Choice » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:00 am

THACHY_7 wrote:

To answer your question - if I was selected to play and listed on the bench, I would turn up, support my team mates and give my best when on the ground. If I didn't get much of a run (we've all been there), I'd work harder to get into the starting 18 next time if possible. At pension age, I'm more likely to be overlooked though, so I'm just as happy to drive the 2 hours and watch others having a dip. I agree that 5 on the bench is not ideal and I'd think having two of them not play in the first game would give other bench players more of a run. Problem is then that the fringe players would play even less. If you only take 21 and cop a couple of injuries and a no-show, then the second game has no-one on the bench.
Also, injuries are always a concern and I'm sure there were a few sore bodies after two half games, but I didn't see any injuries that were caused by playing two halves (hamstring/calf etc.). The U17 injuries were typical of any game (shoulder and arm I think).
Lame Choice
Under 16s

Postby Snags » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:43 am

Lame Choice wrote:
THACHY_7 wrote:

To answer your question - if I was selected to play and listed on the bench, I would turn up, support my team mates and give my best when on the ground. If I didn't get much of a run (we've all been there), I'd work harder to get into the starting 18 next time if possible. At pension age, I'm more likely to be overlooked though, so I'm just as happy to drive the 2 hours and watch others having a dip. I agree that 5 on the bench is not ideal and I'd think having two of them not play in the first game would give other bench players more of a run. Problem is then that the fringe players would play even less. If you only take 21 and cop a couple of injuries and a no-show, then the second game has no-one on the bench.
Also, injuries are always a concern and I'm sure there were a few sore bodies after two half games, but I didn't see any injuries that were caused by playing two halves (hamstring/calf etc.). The U17 injuries were typical of any game (shoulder and arm I think).

And from what I have heard everyone was like that, energetic and wanting to play well when they were on! Didn't hear of any one not trying or genuinely not wanting to be there.. I think everyone's comments have been taken out of context in a bad way when in reality it really wasn't that bad. Just hope players point of view on it all is taken into consideration
Snags
Under 16s

Postby GIDDY UP! » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:55 am

I'm hearing some BIG shit is going down at Virginia.... Coach and president have both been sacked and some big name plays are on the move now!! :shock: anyone else heard this news?
GIDDY UP!
Rookie

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby Snags » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:57 pm

GIDDY UP! wrote:I'm hearing some BIG shit is going down at Virginia.... Coach and president have both been sacked and some big name plays are on the move now!! :shock: anyone else heard this news?

APPARENTLY somebody has been shagging netballers in the change rooms! Which lead to 1 of the sackings!
Snags
Under 16s

Postby BigV » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:36 pm

There has been a couple of changes for the club and everyone is moving forward.
When you say big players leaving do you mean Tall??
BigV
Rookie

Been liked: 3 times

Postby GIDDY UP! » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:04 pm

BigV wrote:There has been a couple of changes for the club and everyone is moving forward.

No I mean big players as in 4times leading APFL goal scorer, 2013 mail medal runner up and probably one of the best Fullbacks going around in country footy.
3 big players ( all over 6foot ) leaving! Made up bullshit? Who knows I'm just forwarding on what I've heard.
GIDDY UP!
Rookie

Been liked: 20 times

Postby Ace of Spades » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:41 pm

GIDDY UP! wrote:
BigV wrote:There has been a couple of changes for the club and everyone is moving forward.

No I mean big players as in 4times leading APFL goal scorer, 2013 mail medal runner up and probably one of the best Fullbacks going around in country footy.
3 big players ( all over 6foot ) leaving! Made up bullshit? Who knows I'm just forwarding on what I've heard.

Anyone got their phone numbers? :D
Ace of Spades
Reserves

Grassroots Team: Hummocks-Watchman

Postby BigV » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:48 pm

Full Forward -Going No where
Full Back - Has been injured and will be playing!
Runner up Mail medal? Also the Captain?
Who ever you heard that from must of been on some serious whacky weed or has had some has suffered from some form of head trauma.
Only rumour i know of to be close the mark is an inclusion but ill leave that for all you news breakers out there!!
BigV
Rookie

Been liked: 3 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy