Dingo took my baby.
Dingo took my baby.
neverwas neverwillbe
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 4 times

Re: Great Southern Football League

Postby chopper7 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:54 am

Is the whole interleague concept still well sorted in your league? I am involved with the Hills and we had our first IL game in nearly five years on the weekend beating River Murray by 5 points. There was a huge crowd down at the bridge and some serious footy was played, and speaking from Hills people I think the concept was welcomed back with opened arms. This being the case, just want to get a few opinions on here with the old Lovelock Shield all our Leagues were once involved in. How do you think your league would take to the idea of re forming it? I think you'd get a few more guys keen if you actually had something to play for after a solid weekend of good football played. Just thought I'd open it up and see what you guys are thinking
chopper7
Under 16s

Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 24 times

Postby words of wisdom » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:15 pm

chopper7 wrote:Is the whole interleague concept still well sorted in your league? I am involved with the Hills and we had our first IL game in nearly five years on the weekend beating River Murray by 5 points. There was a huge crowd down at the bridge and some serious footy was played, and speaking from Hills people I think the concept was welcomed back with opened arms. This being the case, just want to get a few opinions on here with the old Lovelock Shield all our Leagues were once involved in. How do you think your league would take to the idea of re forming it? I think you'd get a few more guys keen if you actually had something to play for after a solid weekend of good football played. Just thought I'd open it up and see what you guys are thinking

It would be great if they brought back the Lovelock shield but i think they find it hard enough to get a group of guys to commit to one game let alone 2 games on a weekend. Perhaps the A grade play a stand alone game on a friday night to give them more chance to recover for the Monday. If they did it you'd want them to drop the U/21's crap & have your best team out there. If they want to look at some young players have an U/21's game - Open, U/21's, U/17's, U/14's.
words of wisdom
League - Best 21

Been liked: 19 times
Grassroots Team: Mt Burr

Postby LuvsFooty » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:59 pm

Association footy is very boring at present. Huge amounts of of our best players are "unavailable". Write a little list of the top 30 players in our league and there'd be more than a handful that didn't play on the weekend. I really hope we are playing someone other than the SFL next year. Being a country league, we should play another country league. Something outside the square like the YPFL or the KNTFL would be a breath of fresh air.

But...until the structure of rep footy is changed, it won't be well supported. There's some leagues that even play modified games (2 15 minute halves etc). Why you'd do that with the best of the best I don't know. Simple answer is give the leagues something to play for. Get a ranking system in place. If you win you move up the rankings, if you lose you go down exactly like the Victorian system. If Stephen Milne and Bredan Fevola are playing association footy over there, then it must be pretty good
You can love football, but it wont always love you back!
LuvsFooty
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 17 times

Postby BJ Ernest » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:17 pm

Quite possibly some guys would have gone in in front of the guys that played Saturday but like all years beforehand the best 22 were picked within the rules that the side is picked under. The selectors got together and 6 weeks ago a squad was picked with over 60 guys in it. There were a fair few that already had holidays booked, some guys had some unfortunate injuries the Saturday prior and we went in with a side that was once again good enough to win on the Association weekend, we should be proud of that as GSFL people!

Would be great if Lovelock shield returned but I like the idea of a ranking system where at times you could end up playing in Pt Lincoln or Mt Gambier for a weekend!
BJ Ernest
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times
Grassroots Team: Willunga

Postby LuvsFooty » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:36 pm

Agree. no offence to the guys that played (all still quality players), they put their hand up and did the job.
LuvsFooty
League - Best 21

Postby LuvsFooty » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:02 pm

Travel is an issue with the ranking side of things I'm tipping that's why the work safe vic are involved. They would tip a bit of money in. You'd have a great chance of sponsorship funding if it was a statewide comp. next year mallee fl travel to nepean fl which is 6 hours. It's tough but could be unreal. Id pay my $6 if Stevie Milne was floating around. He kicked 9 in a losing side and the crowd was rumored to be 5000 strong
LuvsFooty
League - Best 21

Postby Monopoly Man » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:55 pm

GSFL’ers, we have a few players from the GSFL competition in the RMFL this year. Two in particular Matt Hodge and Myles Warmington have a lot of talent. I would consider them in the top 15 players in our comp. Hodge would almost be the best getting around. Were these lads stars in the GSFL?
Monopoly Man
Rookie

Been liked: 6 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:05 pm

LuvsFooty wrote:Association footy is very boring at present. Huge amounts of of our best players are "unavailable". Write a little list of the top 30 players in our league and there'd be more than a handful that didn't play on the weekend. I really hope we are playing someone other than the SFL next year. Being a country league, we should play another country league. Something outside the square like the YPFL or the KNTFL would be a breath of fresh air.

But...until the structure of rep footy is changed, it won't be well supported. There's some leagues that even play modified games (2 15 minute halves etc). Why you'd do that with the best of the best I don't know. Simple answer is give the leagues something to play for. Get a ranking system in place. If you win you move up the rankings, if you lose you go down exactly like the Victorian system. If Stephen Milne and Bredan Fevola are playing association footy over there, then it must be pretty good

SA has adopted the lightning carnival model instead. To avoid trying to grade competitions it has rolled everyone into 6 zones.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby words of wisdom » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:59 pm

LuvsFooty wrote:Association footy is very boring at present. Huge amounts of of our best players are "unavailable". Write a little list of the top 30 players in our league and there'd be more than a handful that didn't play on the weekend. I really hope we are playing someone other than the SFL next year. Being a country league, we should play another country league. Something outside the square like the YPFL or the KNTFL would be a breath of fresh air.

I like the idea of the Vic model. Imagine the first time they went to rank the leagues.. I bet it would get fairly heated with some of those old officials!
words of wisdom
League - Best 21

Postby grasshopper22 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:06 pm

Monopoly Man wrote:GSFL’ers, we have a few players from the GSFL competition in the RMFL this year. Two in particular Matt Hodge and Myles Warmington have a lot of talent. I would consider them in the top 15 players in our comp. Hodge would almost be the best getting around. Were these lads stars in the GSFL?

I haven't seen anything from Hodge yet in our two outings against them MM to even consider having him in the top 15 let alone possibly best. But in saying that have heard at his best he's very impressive.
grasshopper22
Reserves

Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 23 times

Postby field of dreams » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:30 am

Monopoly Man wrote:GSFL’ers, we have a few players from the GSFL competition in the RMFL this year. Two in particular Matt Hodge and Myles Warmington have a lot of talent. I would consider them in the top 15 players in our comp. Hodge would almost be the best getting around. Were these lads stars in the GSFL?

Yes Hodge did star in the GSFL. Probably one of the most talented/gifted players I have seen play at this level and gave us many highlights in his time at Victor. He has the ability to do things 99% of the other players cannot a lot of which I think stems from his great leg strength - can take the best hangers you'll see (and does so regularly), can kick 50m out of a pack off 1 step, is extremely balanced and makes others look to fall around him and is a very good kick.
I think for a lot of his time at Victor it was hard to work out where to play him to get the most out of him. He has the ability to play nearly any position on the field (he can out jump most ruckmen) although defense is not a strength. He spent a lot of time in the midfield which is probably his best possie but he isn't particularly accountable and relies on other in-and-unders to get the ball to him. In a side with some hard nuts doing that he will be huge as he is very clean in his delivery. At times we supposedly had some of the best mid-fielders going around but would get smashed at clearances week-in week-out as we didn't have those hard nuts.
He has always done well at association level and higher which I think may have something to do with the style of footy that often gets played at there ie higher skills, more free-flowing. Most would say he often dominated games against lesser opposition but against higher quality (esp harder) sides he could go missing. Can shut him out of the game with a decent hard tag.
field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 78 times

Postby bluebagger » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:46 am

Fev was actually the coach of the OMFL and took it very seroiusly. the Ovens and Murray pride themselves on being one of the strongest country leagues in the country, it grates them that they are ranked 5 or 6 ( not sure ) at the moment..

the ranking system makes it worth playing for.

oh and dont give me the crap about having to travel... players flying in weekly, others getting $1000 a game weekly to cross the state.. i think the players are used to it.
bluebagger
Rookie

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 11 times

Postby limb » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:12 pm

Can anyone from GPEFC shed any light on Drew Litster's departure??
limb
Under 18s

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby LuvsFooty » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:47 pm

Unfortunately for the forum, It's not an interesting story.
LuvsFooty
League - Best 21

Postby words of wisdom » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:53 pm

Lister out & P.Fiachi in!
words of wisdom
League - Best 21

Postby Jimmy_041 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:07 pm

limb wrote:Can anyone from GPEFC shed any light on Drew Litster's departure??

Knowing Drew, he probably got sick of the Saturday country drives
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby field of dreams » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:10 pm

Well it's been all yawn on here LF. Anything would be interesting!
field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 78 times

Postby fiftympenalty » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:30 pm

Yeah Litster got a mid year concessional half season rookie contract for Essendon to replace all the players they are due to lose this week as part of the whole roids scandal. You heard it here first
fiftympenalty
Rookie

Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 7 times
Grassroots Team: Willunga

Postby words of wisdom » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:06 pm

What a round of results - Premiership table is very interesting. Going to be a great second half of the year!
Big changes coming to country footy next year with the CFB capping player payments. Hearing the max you can pay a player is the SANFL league minimum.
words of wisdom
League - Best 21

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy