HFL Division 1 (Central)

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: HFL Central Division

Postby Legs Man » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:22 pm

Def a chance for Handorf over Ironbank.

The cat would definitely be amongst the pidgeons should Echunga win.

IMO Uraidla are the benchmark - with Lobey next.

it was always going to take Echunga a few games to get rolling - which they now seem to be doing.

Slowly but surely constructing a good Central side with continual additions to the playing group.

At the start of the season I am sure many sides pencilled the Echunga game in as a win.
Legs Man
Under 16s

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby chopper7 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:48 pm

Legs Man wrote:Def a chance for Handorf over Ironbank.

The cat would definitely be amongst the pidgeons should Echunga win.

IMO Uraidla are the benchmark - with Lobey next.

it was always going to take Echunga a few games to get rolling - which they now seem to be doing.

Slowly but surely constructing a good Central side with continual additions to the playing group.

At the start of the season I am sure many sides pencilled the Echunga game in as a win.

Another Norwood player at Echunga, and you're saying that Echunga don't dish out heaps of cash!?
chopper7
Under 16s

Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 24 times

Postby Legs Man » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:04 pm

No need to Chopper - they play for the love of the club, it's environment and facilities.

Lets all hope the Central clubs get to enjoy our facilities for years to come!
Legs Man
Under 16s

Postby The Panther » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:51 pm

"Another Norwood player" What grade ?
The Panther
Under 16s

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 58 times

Postby Legs Man » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:56 pm

I assume Chopper means Luke Wilson.

Played well in his first game against Hahndorf and looks to be a great acquisition.
Legs Man
Under 16s

Postby overthehill » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:02 pm

Legs Man wrote:I assume Chopper means Luke Wilson.

Played well in his first game against Hahndorf and looks to be a great acquisition.

A very good acquisition indeed but are you saying he left Norwood because of their poor facilities and not because of a substantial pay increase?
overthehill
Rookie

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 21 times
Grassroots Team: Mt Barker

Postby Legs Man » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:09 pm

He wasn't getting a regular match as far as I know and is assessing his future.
Playing at Echunga gives him a more relaxed atmosphere and he can play with Aish, Carey and Peter Lindsay who he knows.
BTW - he is also related to the coach I believe.
Legs Man
Under 16s

Postby Mop Up » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:03 pm

“He might have been naive, but he didn't care; he said he'd rather die with his heart on his sleeve than end up another cynic.”
Mop Up
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 5 times

Postby Legs Man » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:51 pm

[quote="Mop Up"]“He might have been naive, but he didn't care; he said he'd rather die with his heart on his sleeve than end up another cynic.”[/

Not bad.

It would be good to see The Great HFL Spin!
Legs Man
Under 16s

Postby Champ » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:01 pm

Legs Man wrote:He wasn't getting a regular match as far as I know and is assessing his future.
Playing at Echunga gives him a more relaxed atmosphere and he can play with Aish, Carey and Peter Lindsay who he knows.
BTW - he is also related to the coach I believe.

Was overlooked at selection at Norwood but my mail is that could be a short term thing? Yes, closely related to the current echunga coach.
Champ
Under 18s

Has liked: 51 times
Been liked: 9 times
Grassroots Team: Gawler Central

Postby Kick'n Back » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:23 pm

Legs Man wrote:Echunga only had 13 to start though last year.

it was also extreme circumstances and not setting a precedent.

I believe in fair play but it seems that the goalposts are a moving beast with the current HFL hierarchy .

It presents a confusion for most supporters and that seems to be the oval the league plays on.

This is fairly apparent when you have a shield ranking in the HFL run budget that doesn't represent the actual amount their decision is based upon.

I understand they are volunteers but seem to have a limited direction or ability to make the tough calls.

We all want the HFL to succeed and showcase the game so it seems blatantly obvious that things must change.

How this occurs is up to the clubs - but they have to be unselfish and core football driven.

So that's ok Echunga got extra points for one player last year because they only had 13 points. They only had 13 points last year because they played in 3 consecutive grand finals before that. But Torrens Valley can not play with extra points because they have 15 because they finished mid table last year.
Kick'n Back
Under 16s

Been liked: 14 times

Postby Legs Man » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:13 pm

How many did TV have when they went up to Central?
Legs Man
Under 16s

Postby youngpace » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:32 pm

groovster wrote:
youngpace wrote:
overthehill wrote:
groovster wrote:Overthehill you are presuming that there will still be promotion and relegation rules?! Who knows maybe Mt Lofty come in (and Nairne?!) to make a 12 team comp. At this stage I believe that [b]Bridgey, Echunga, Onkas and TV all add something to the Central division..so too would Mt Lofty and Nairne. Bring them in I say..[/b]

Sad to see my Magpies go down to Echunga on the weekend, whilst the Magpies had some key personnel out its unlikely it accounted for 9 goals, its no excuse but our young brigade didnt turn it on on the weekend, maybe we need to go out and spend another $1500 a week on a recruit? NOT! We still won 4/5 games...!

Groovster, I do not disagree but i don't believe the HFL have the power to make that decision. That would need to be a constitutional change voted by the clubs. In saying that i have no insider knowledge into the HFL

Yes all of these clubs have the potential to or already add something to central. But moving to a 12 team comp may not work in the long term. A crystal ball, if we had one, may show the same issue we now have in country (a massive gap in competitiveness) eventuating in Central in years to come, should the change to a 12 team be made.

It would almost surely see the end of the country div. I for one believe that the long term fix to our league doesn't lie in a change to the Central Division, but in the improvement of the Country Division. Which will only improve Central, were as the same can not be said for Counrty if we are to improve Central now.

Suggestion then is what? How can you improve country div? We need to attempt to bring clubs up to a common level not prejudice clubs for the success they have in bringing them 'back down' to a common level.

Unfortunately this just isn't going to happen. Satellite towns outside of the major populated areas are/will continue to struggle. This isn't just evident in sport but in all types of services including health, education, etc etc.

For country to survive they need to either merge and become stronger with their geo spread or maintain status who and have their own league which caters for them. Maybe the HFL Central becomes a different league vs HFL Country which is I dependant ( ie riverland).

Agree that HFL should become paid professional it clearly lacks business and common sense. The cost should be subsidised by SANFL, afl and Central clubs.

The power to change all this is with our clubs own committees..we need to voice our opinions to our resoective club presidents etc so that change happens.

I have been failing to find a solution in my mind for some time. I am not suggesting bringing sides back or lowering the standard at all. But perhaps the successful clubs can find a way to help the struggling clubs to rise to the level, rather then cast them aside.

In the past there has been a suggestion thrown around, of the restriction of Junior rego numbers for each club. This should result in the over flow moving to near by or maybe (in the crunch) not so near by country clubs to get a game of footy. If these clubs receiving the new junior inflow do the right thing and nurture these juniors and there potential this should in the future see them rise back to competitiveness. Both at a Senior and junior level. As much as the Country division's seniors competitiveness is not idea, the real frightening issue is the lack of junior teams competing.
youngpace
Rookie

Has liked: 6 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby chopper7 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:28 pm

Legs Man wrote:No need to Chopper - they play for the love of the club, it's environment and facilities.

HA!! Kidding yourself.... No way an outsider of a local football club would play for the love of the club. All about the ca$h
chopper7
Under 16s

Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 24 times

Postby Peakedinhighschool » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:00 pm

chopper7 wrote:
Legs Man wrote:No need to Chopper - they play for the love of the club, it's environment and facilities.

HA!! Kidding yourself.... No way an outsider of a local football club would play for the love of the club. All about the ca$h

Think you might have to argue with Darren Loffler on that one mate.
Peakedinhighschool
Mini-League

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Uraidla Districts

Postby citycoaster17 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:48 am

Yes all of these clubs have the potential to or already add something to central. But moving to a 12 team comp may not work in the long term. A crystal ball, if we had one, may show the same issue we now have in country (a massive gap in competitiveness) eventuating in Central in years to come, should the change to a 12 team be made.

It would almost surely see the end of the country div. I for one believe that the long term fix to our league doesn't lie in a change to the Central Division, but in the improvement of the Country Division. Which will only improve Central, were as the same can not be said for Counrty if we are to improve Central now.[/quote]

Suggestion then is what? How can you improve country div? We need to attempt to bring clubs up to a common level not prejudice clubs for the success they have in bringing them 'back down' to a common level.

Unfortunately this just isn't going to happen. Satellite towns outside of the major populated areas are/will continue to struggle. This isn't just evident in sport but in all types of services including health, education, etc etc.

For country to survive they need to either merge and become stronger with their geo spread or maintain status who and have their own league which caters for them. Maybe the HFL Central becomes a different league vs HFL Country which is I dependant ( ie riverland).

Agree that HFL should become paid professional it clearly lacks business and common sense. The cost should be subsidised by SANFL, afl and Central clubs.

The power to change all this is with our clubs own committees..we need to voice our opinions to our resoective club presidents etc so that change happens.[/quote]

I have been failing to find a solution in my mind for some time. I am not suggesting bringing sides back or lowering the standard at all. But perhaps the successful clubs can find a way to help the struggling clubs to rise to the level, rather then cast them aside.

In the past there has been a suggestion thrown around, of the restriction of Junior rego numbers for each club. This should result in the over flow moving to near by or maybe (in the crunch) not so near by country clubs to get a game of footy. If these clubs receiving the new junior inflow do the right thing and nurture these juniors and there potential this should in the future see them rise back to competitiveness. Both at a Senior and junior level. As much as the Country division's seniors competitiveness is not idea, the real frightening issue is the lack of junior teams competing.[/quote]

Wow, that would open up a whole new can of worms. Lets say Mt Barker get 35 kids out for training at the start of the year for under 13's, they are only allowed to utilise say 30. What is the club and coach going to do? Sorry bud, I know you have been playing here for a couple of years now, but we have a heap of really good players that have turned up this year, you are going to have to go else where. What is that kid going to do? Never play football again is my guess.
citycoaster17
Rookie

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby Afterthesiren » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:23 am

So Torrens Valley have 18 points but only if Sam Jordan plays otherwise they revert back to 15 points. Well, Sam Jordan has played every single game this year so TV have been playing with more points than those that finished below them last year. Well done HFL well done.
The reason the HFL granted these points is because Sam lives elsewhere and his parents wanted him to play with his brother in the A grade when he was available to play otherwise he would not play footy in 2014. I guess his parents are pretty happy as they've seen the brothers play together every week. I guess the parents won't watch Sam if he's playing in the lowley B grade and maybe his brother has some kind of panic attack. WTF is going on at the HFL.
Afterthesiren
Under 18s

Postby Sniper » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:16 pm

Afterthesiren wrote:So Torrens Valley have 18 points but only if Sam Jordan plays otherwise they revert back to 15 points. Well, Sam Jordan has played every single game this year so TV have been playing with more points than those that finished below them last year. Well done HFL well done.
The reason the HFL granted these points is because Sam lives elsewhere and his parents wanted him to play with his brother in the A grade when he was available to play otherwise he would not play footy in 2014. I guess his parents are pretty happy as they've seen the brothers play together every week. I guess the parents won't watch Sam if he's playing in the lowley B grade and maybe his brother has some kind of panic attack. WTF is going on at the HFL.

Too good a player for B grade .... amazing leap and when he finally grabs onto one, it may just be a contender for the hanger of the century !
Sniper
Rookie

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Central Eyre

Postby jumbo20 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:24 pm

surely if you were a club that got relegated because Mt Torrens won enough A grade games whilst they had a 3 point advantage you would not be happy....
jumbo20
Under 16s

Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby jumbo20 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:25 pm

why cant there be one set of bloody rules that are stuck to
jumbo20
Under 16s