The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The 2014 season no AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby johntheclaret » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:03 pm

Booney wrote:"CHEATING" (Using capitals helps when getting your point across) would be playing outside of the rules governing the competition.

Cheating isn't the right word but essentially his point is the same.

There are two AFL reserve sides splaying in the SANFL and they do have certain advantages over the real SANFL clubs. And there are 3 different criteria bring used in the same comp which has given one reserve side a much bigger advantage than the remaining 9 teams including the other reserve side.

I think the current ladder supports this and I suspect most fans know this , including what must be some very happy PAFC supporters. But whilst many PAFC supporters might be happy with the current set up, do you honestly believe having 3 different criteria giving one reserve team a significant advantage over the rest of the competition is good for the long term viability of the SANFL.

As for the PAM debate, personally I couldn't give a rats arse what you want to call them. The team competing in the SANFL is an AFL reserve side and not the true independent Port Adelaide of old. Just don't insult me by trying to purvey them as the genuine article they were.

Going forward, I think the 2 reserve sides are here to stay for the foreseeable future. I don't think the AFL see a national reserves comp viable as they would either still have to rely on state leagues for top up players or increase club numbers which isn't going to work.
The alternatives for both AFL and SANFL is to either a) kick the two reserve teams out of the SANFL altogether, whence you would assume they would have to go to the ammo's, b) offer them places in the SANFL reserve league, something neither AFL club wants, or c) leave them where they are but level the playing field so at least both of the AFL reserve sides are playing under the same criteria.
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby johntheclaret » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:09 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:
Apachebulldog wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:Doesn't change how I feel, but I do feel this debate has:

Guys, some of the nonsensical, paranoid commentary on this issue does our competition's cause no favours.
Stick with the actual issues and you'll help us better.

I may actually be done with it.

I can see why its so fine for you you have one foot in both camps.

You are one of many who wears two scarfs.

As they say its like having two bob eachway.

Explains it all i reckon LOL

That's bullshit. Absolute BS, in regards to my stance.
My love is for the CDFC first, my AFL club second. By a long way.
My posts throughout this debate can verify that.
I even took the issue up with a Crows official on the weekend, probably ill-advisedly in the circumstances.
My point is that this debate, on this site, is now going around in ever decreasing circles and some of the issues of debate, such as whether Port is the real Port, are BS and are actually making us look more tin-foiled hat than sensible.

I hope that the people in charge make the right decisions later this year. I hope that an AFL seconds competition of some sort comes to fruition into the future.
I hope that my club continues to play in a competition of relevance.
I hope the words of our first premiership captain continue to ring true: "We are a club and we will go on".
But, as I said, I reckon I may actually be done with this debate.

I thought he was answering Booney.
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:16 pm

johntheclaret wrote:
Booney wrote:"CHEATING" (Using capitals helps when getting your point across) would be playing outside of the rules governing the competition.

There are two AFL reserve sides splaying in the SANFL and they do have certain advantages over the real SANFL clubs. And there are 3 different criteria bring used in the same comp which has given one reserve side a much bigger advantage than the remaining 9 teams including the other reserve side.

I think the current ladder supports this and I suspect most fans know this , including what must be some very happy PAFC supporters. But whilst many PAFC supporters might be happy with the current set up, do you honestly believe having 3 different criteria giving one reserve team a significant advantage over the rest of the competition is good for the long term viability of the SANFL.

As for the PAM debate, personally I couldn't give a rats arse what you want to call them. The team competing in the SANFL is an AFL reserve side and not the true independent Port Adelaide of old. Just don't insult me by trying to purvey them as the genuine article they were.

Going forward, I think the 2 reserve sides are here to stay for the foreseeable future. I don't think the AFL see a national reserves comp viable as they would either still have to rely on state leagues for top up players or increase club numbers which isn't going to work.
The alternatives for both AFL and SANFL is to either a) kick the two reserve teams out of the SANFL altogether, whence you would assume they would have to go to the ammo's, b) offer them places in the SANFL reserve league, something neither AFL club wants, or c) leave them where they are but level the playing field so at least both of the AFL reserve sides are playing under the same criteria.

Then don't insult us by telling us what our club is, was and will be.

It's our club, a club that belongs to the people who support it financially and emotionally and not whats written in the bowels of some corporate bullshit statement, and to keep being told by people who figure Google is the best way to find the answers to what our club is, was, stands for and how we should see ourselves is downright insulting.

Whinge about the state of the SANFL, cry about anything you like but quit telling us who we are, or at least who you think we are.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10780 times

Postby whufc » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:25 pm

Booney wrote:
johntheclaret wrote:

It's our club, a club that belongs to the people who support it financially and emotionally and not whats written in the bowels of some corporate bullshit statement, and to keep being told by people who figure Google is the best way to find the answers to what our club is, was, stands for and how we should see ourselves is downright insulting.

Whinge about the state of the SANFL, cry about anything you like but quit telling us who we are, or at least who you think we are.

Come on mate, in fairness your club couldn't even work out its own identity.

Remember the whole 'we are the Port Magpies' or are we 'the alternative to the Crows', we don't want to be associated with the old Magpies because it effects our future supporter base bla bla bla

If your club couldn't even work out its own identity then I think its fair the general public discuss it and don't take your clubs latest claim of being one club as serious
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby johntheclaret » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:34 pm

Booney wrote:
johntheclaret wrote:

Good rant
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:41 pm

johntheclaret wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:
Apachebulldog wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:Doesn't change how I feel, but I do feel this debate has:

Guys, some of the nonsensical, paranoid commentary on this issue does our competition's cause no favours.
Stick with the actual issues and you'll help us better.

I may actually be done with it.

I can see why its so fine for you you have one foot in both camps.

You are one of many who wears two scarfs.

As they say its like having two bob eachway.

Explains it all i reckon LOL

That's bullshit. Absolute BS, in regards to my stance.
My love is for the CDFC first, my AFL club second. By a long way.
My posts throughout this debate can verify that.
I even took the issue up with a Crows official on the weekend, probably ill-advisedly in the circumstances.
My point is that this debate, on this site, is now going around in ever decreasing circles and some of the issues of debate, such as whether Port is the real Port, are BS and are actually making us look more tin-foiled hat than sensible.

I hope that the people in charge make the right decisions later this year. I hope that an AFL seconds competition of some sort comes to fruition into the future.
I hope that my club continues to play in a competition of relevance.
I hope the words of our first premiership captain continue to ring true: "We are a club and we will go on".
But, as I said, I reckon I may actually be done with this debate.

I thought he was answering Booney.

It's me that's quoted in the post.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:42 pm

Looking back, I can see it's possible.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby RB » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:13 pm

Booney wrote: but quit telling us who we are, or at least who you think we are.
Most of us aren't doing this. We're just stating our opinions; you're free to disagree with them.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 766 times
Been liked: 1074 times

Postby matt35 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:55 pm

@jtc

I suspect option c is the way it will play out, which is what I was getting at in an earlier post. I suspect some changes will be made to level things out and to have similar rules for both Port Adelaide and Adelaide, the difference being that Port Adelaide should continue to play home games at Alberton. To be honest though, I am still yet to be convinced too many panic buttons should be pressed. Port Adelaide are in very good shape, have considerable depth in their list and still not a large injury list. If, for example, the current set up had started in 2011 or 2012, when they were struggling, I think there's every chance they would have done no better than Adelaide have so far.
No Surrender!
matt35
Under 18s

Has liked: 513 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby johntheclaret » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:27 pm

Unfortunately panic buttons should have been pressed last October before the SANFL sold out.
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby LPH » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:30 pm

Must disagree with that statement, matt35.
The facts are that both AFL Franchises have advantages over the rest of the competition - granted (at present) one has more advantages, but they both have significant advantage over the rest.
The Cows could well make the Finals. If they do, they I think it is fair to suggest that superior fitness levels, rehabilitation & resources would've played a role. How much of a role is debatable but played a role nonetheless.
Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
LPH
League - Best 21

Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby wild dog » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:22 pm

Rising Power wrote:
westcoastpanther wrote:
Rising Power wrote:
westcoastpanther wrote:Further proof the Magpies are Gonzo...

http://www.portlincolntimes.com.au/stor ... e/?cs=1500

I do like the last line of that article. But really, have people been under a rock for the last 9 months? It was agreed that the zones would be realigned for 2015 onwards. Why is this such a surprise now?

No surprise, just further proof for the clowns that believe the Magpies still exist....

Just for some clarity, can someone define "the Magpies" and what constitutes "existence" please?

As I said earlier, I believe about 90% of people who support Port Adelaide in the AFL and SANFL aren't particularly concerned as to whether the Magpies "exist" or not. It's all for the greater good of the Port Adelaide Football Club (in whatever plane of reality you believe that club exists in). It's nice to see the prison bars and it's nice that they're still called the Magpies, but if they changed the nickname to the Power and wore the V then that's fine too. I'm sure Norwood will do fine with developing the EP and I'm sure they'll appreciate the extra support from Port Adelaide. I hope they develop a great partnership for years to come.

Smugness is strong in this one. Seriously mate make a profit first and pay the money back to the SANFL. If Port goes shite in the AFL, your crowds go sub 20k again you will begging for money from your Vic masters again. Remember you are still in debt, still making a loss and the record Grand Final losers. Your club has brought a highly liquid and asset rich organisation to its knees, and required a stadium financed by the state to the tune of half a billion to make your business model look even half ok.

Not only should the zones be taken off of Port, the weekly match payment for your Magpies should be doubled next year. Lets tax the b*stards till they choke.

In terms of having
wild dog
Under 18s

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 180 times
Grassroots Team: Smithfield

Postby kickinit » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:02 pm

Wedgie wrote:PORT ADELAIDE FOOTBALL CLUB LIMITED

Former Name(s). PORT ADELAIDE FOOTBALL CLUB (A.F.L) LIMITED

ABN: 49 068 839 547

Registration Date: 29/03/1995

Does it really matter if we changed our business name, not really. Answer this wedgie if Gary Ablett Jnr change his name to David Ablett does that mean he isn't a Brownlow Medalist anymore?
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 95 times

Postby kickinit » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:13 pm

Apachebulldog wrote:Do not deflect the debate by sidetracking it with the Adelaide Oval crap.

The whole crux of this debate is that there are TWO AFL RESERVES team consisting in the MAJORITY of AFL players competing in a BASTARDISED SANFL.

However one team is MASQUARADING today as the defunct MAGPIES.

Not to mention the FACT that these AFL RESERVES teams have the luxury and massive advantage of competing with a HOST of AFL players expertise and FINANCIALS .

Something that the other EIGHT SANFL teams have not benefitted from.

So if you all think this current set up is fair and equitable then some of you posters on this site are condoning CHEATING !!!

Prior to 2014 the Magpies were feared and respected and many many opposition loved to watch them in full flight.

But for a lot of us now we have no interest as been stated numerous times.

We will not be party to watching AFL RESERVES teams.

THATS RIGHT NO INTEREST IN THE POWER RESERVES OR THE CROWS RESERVES.

So once again in Crow jargon.

The current SANFL competition with AFL teams is FAAAAAARRKKKKKKKEDDDDDD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For starters learn to read, I didn't sidetrack anything, everything I said and posted had to do with the conversation. Secondly do you really think we care if you don't want to watch our team? You don't have a clue what our club is about yet you seem to think you no everything Port Adelaide. We haven't cheated the system at all, remember apache the SANFL clubs gave us this proposal this is what they wanted. Lastly how does it feel that centrals are finally back to being a league, after being a AFL reserves side for 13 years. I bet your hoping they finally win their first league flag.
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Postby Wedgie » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:53 pm

kickinit wrote:

Does it really matter if we changed our business name, not really. Answer this wedgie if Gary Ablett Jnr change his name to David Ablett does that mean he isn't a Brownlow Medalist anymore?

It does mate, just like the PAFC changes their name to the PAMFC and were the same club, they're dead and buried now though, thank you for agreeing with me, it musnt be rocket science after all. Even deluded Port supporters are now working it out.
The only Port club left which runs two teams has won 1 premiership in all time but that was nicely offset with a 119 point drubbing in 2007.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2050 times
Been liked: 3893 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby smac » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:03 pm

kickinit wrote:

The analogy would be closer to... if I changed my name to Gary Ablett Jr. would I be a brownlow medallist?
smac
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby dedja » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:19 pm

kickinit wrote:

Good point ... Heritier Lumumba is just as shit as Harry O'Brien
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 996 times

Postby kickinit » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:49 pm

Wedgie wrote:
kickinit wrote:

It does mate, just like the PAFC changes their name to the PAMFC and were the same club, they're dead and buried now though, thank you for agreeing with me, it musnt be rocket science after all. Even deluded Port supporters are now working it out.
The only Port club left which runs two teams has won 1 premiership in all time but that was nicely offset with a 119 point drubbing in 2007.

you should really change your name to either apachebulldog or Paul Little, clutching at straws and talking about something you have know idea about.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Postby Apachebulldog » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:54 pm

kickinit wrote:
Apachebulldog wrote:Do not deflect the debate by sidetracking it with the Adelaide Oval crap.

The whole crux of this debate is that there are TWO AFL RESERVES team consisting in the MAJORITY of AFL players competing in a BASTARDISED SANFL.

However one team is MASQUARADING today as the defunct MAGPIES.

Not to mention the FACT that these AFL RESERVES teams have the luxury and massive advantage of competing with a HOST of AFL players expertise and FINANCIALS .

Something that the other EIGHT SANFL teams have not benefitted from.

So if you all think this current set up is fair and equitable then some of you posters on this site are condoning CHEATING !!!

Prior to 2014 the Magpies were feared and respected and many many opposition loved to watch them in full flight.

But for a lot of us now we have no interest as been stated numerous times.

We will not be party to watching AFL RESERVES teams.

THATS RIGHT NO INTEREST IN THE POWER RESERVES OR THE CROWS RESERVES.

So once again in Crow jargon.

The current SANFL competition with AFL teams is FAAAAAARRKKKKKKKEDDDDDD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For starters learn to read, I didn't sidetrack anything, everything I said and posted had to do with the conversation. Secondly do you really think we care if you don't want to watch our team? You don't have a clue what our club is about yet you seem to think you no everything Port Adelaide. We haven't cheated the system at all, remember apache the SANFL clubs gave us this proposal this is what they wanted.

Lastly how does it feel that centrals are finally back to being a league, after being a AFL reserves side for 13 years. I bet your hoping they finally win their first league flag.

Re your comment highlighted in bold

Please tell me what drugs are you on or is it that you are young and stupid !

I will give you a history lesson on the SANFL.

For your info between 1990 and 2013 all SANFL clubs played under the same rules thats right even the Magpies it was a level playing field for all teams

All NINE clubs had a spattering of AFL players including the Magpies who also won premierships do you understand this ???

During that same period

Port Adelaide has won 7 premierships
Central District 9 premierships
Woodville W/T 3 premierships
Norwood
Sturt

etc etc

So are you telling me that the flags my club and your club and all the other clubs have won were by AFL reserves sides and are worth nothing are you serious ???

The only RESERVES are in the competition as of NOW 2014

Thats right the Power and Crows AFL RESERVES SIDES .

I am sorry to say but really do not have a CLUE !!!!!
SANFL 2000 - 2011 Central District 12 consecutive Grand Final appearances and 9 Premierships.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFF.

Hit em hard let them get up and hit em again.
Apachebulldog
League - Best 21

Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 115 times

Postby Wedgie » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:02 pm

kickinit wrote:
Wedgie wrote:
kickinit wrote:

you should really change your name to either apachebulldog or Paul Little, clutching at straws and talking about something you have know idea about.

Interpretation: Whoops, I actually agreed with him making myself and those with similar beliefs look extremely stupid and wrong in the process! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2050 times
Been liked: 3893 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL