Great Southern Football League

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: Great Southern Football League

Postby spot on » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:58 pm

words of wisdom wrote:What a round of results - Premiership table is very interesting. Going to be a great second half of the year!
Big changes coming to country footy next year with the CFB capping player payments. Hearing the max you can pay a player is the SANFL league minimum.

How are they going to control the money in the brown paper bag in the carpark.
spot on
Under 18s

Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 9 times
Grassroots Team: Casterton

Postby grasshopper22 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:00 am

How are they going to cut players with what they are already on?
grasshopper22
Reserves

Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 23 times

Postby LuvsFooty » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:55 am

Massive log jam in the middle now. Seemingly 4 teams trying to pinch 2 finals spots. Compass knocking of Willunga made things interesting

Should be an easy transition to the new payment system because every club in every league will be running the same. The travel allowance should still be enough to attract players to the country. As for policing it, that'll be tough but the penalties so I hear are very very harsh. Huge club and individual fines as well as loss of points (for all grades not just a's). Players love to tell mates how much they're on, so it wouldn't take long for a few whispers to get around if someone is out of line.
You can love football, but it wont always love you back!
LuvsFooty
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 17 times

Postby grasshopper22 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:52 am

Struggle to see it working.
grasshopper22
Reserves

Postby footytrip » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:57 am

LuvsFooty wrote:Massive log jam in the middle now. Seemingly 4 teams trying to pinch 2 finals spots. Compass knocking of Willunga made things interesting

Should be an easy transition to the new payment system because every club in every league will be running the same. The travel allowance should still be enough to attract players to the country. As for policing it, that'll be tough but the penalties so I hear are very very harsh. Huge club and individual fines as well as loss of points (for all grades not just a's). Players love to tell mates how much they're on, so it wouldn't take long for a few whispers to get around if someone is out of line.

how exactly would the travel allowance work for example with Goolwa, with someone like Mikeljohn on pretty good $$$ say for example $1500 a game just throwing it out there not sure what really on, and he gets $400 a game next year how do you write off $1100 as travel allowance per week? How does it work for someone like Parry who has signed apparently a two year deal again on very good money but then next year drops the money? Would the league be liable for honouring this contract?
footytrip
Mini-League

Been liked: 0 time

Postby LuvsFooty » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:46 pm

I'm just going off a bit of second hand knowledge and hearsay but I'm told that multi year contracts will be ok. So if we'd signed him up for $1500 for 2 years then all good. If not he's $500 per game and that's just the rules (i think this only appllies to 2014 contracts, so you cant sign someone up for 5 years today) The travel allowance is supposedly $1 per km to the club return trip from the CBD. So at Goolwa you could pay $500 per game + $150 travel (2x75km's). $650 in total. At the closest club (mclaren) it would be $500 plus $78 (2x39 km's) total $578. It really won't affect many players down here. I doubt there'd be many in the league over $650. Will really only affect all of the marquee players.

I think it'll work because you'd reckon a majority of clubs would be keen to minimize payments anyway. Having rules gives us the out to able to say no to players.
LuvsFooty
League - Best 21

Postby grasshopper22 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:50 pm

Has this actually been approved or are you going by the article in the advertiser few weeks back? What about the travel for trainings??
grasshopper22
Reserves

Postby grasshopper22 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:52 pm

Here's an article from another perspective, recently in the murray Vallee standard.

http://www.murrayvalleystandard.com.au/ ... g/?cs=1653
grasshopper22
Reserves

Postby LuvsFooty » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:08 pm

Good article and good letter from james.

Don't think there are any decisions and what I've said could be a long way off what actually will happen. I think the travel formula was made simple so that clubs couldn't say that someone was coming down 5 times because then all of a sudden nothing's changed and blokes are on $1200 a game once again
LuvsFooty
League - Best 21

Postby fiftympenalty » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:53 pm

A great goal/idea. I think payments are indeed too high and will continue to be as long as one club does it its a chain reaction.

But how on earth would they police it. Its just childish. The clubs would use it to tell a player not getting that much that that's all they can give them due to changes, and then the "marquee"/overrated superstars would still get the same they would have got anyway thru someone handing them a shit load of cash?? I might be wrong but it seems like a pretty basic idea....

and I apologise for being unaware but what is the CFB ?thanks
fiftympenalty
Rookie

Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 7 times
Grassroots Team: Willunga

Postby fiftympenalty » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:02 pm

And another quick one, can someone please make me believe that being able to clear players until about mid season is beneficial to footy?? why is it not a rule that if you play a game for that club during the year you cant then be signed at another club in the same year?

Point being despot and tasker from Willunga and compass moving back to Noarlunga within say the last month after having been cleared to gsfl this year. so it wasn't like theyd been in gsfl for ages and had a fight with their club or anything, they must have moved on to chase greener pastures at the start of the yr only to figure out they had a better shot at a flag if they went back to sfl club? and its not just those guys they are only an example I can understand why they do it im just not sure why its allowed? just would like some info on it because im sure theres a valid reason as to why its allowed thanks crew
fiftympenalty
Rookie

Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 7 times
Grassroots Team: Willunga

Postby grasshopper22 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:29 pm

fiftympenalty wrote:And another quick one, can someone please make me believe that being able to clear players until about mid season is beneficial to footy?? why is it not a rule that if you play a game for that club during the year you cant then be signed at another club in the same year?

Point being despot and tasker from Willunga and compass moving back to Noarlunga within say the last month after having been cleared to gsfl this year. so it wasn't like theyd been in gsfl for ages and had a fight with their club or anything, they must have moved on to chase greener pastures at the start of the yr only to figure out they had a better shot at a flag if they went back to sfl club? and its not just those guys they are only an example I can understand why they do it im just not sure why its allowed? just would like some info on it because im sure theres a valid reason as to why its allowed thanks crew

I believe a player can be denied a clearance if they have played a single game for there club that season, once that is done they can then be denied on the basis of a required player. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that's a rule.
grasshopper22
Reserves

Postby mutton cove » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:23 pm

Players coming back to SFL .What if they went to the saints Fifty?
mutton cove
Rookie

Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: McLaren

Postby WellPlayed#9 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:36 am

grasshopper22 wrote:
fiftympenalty wrote:And another quick one, can someone please make me believe that being able to clear players until about mid season is beneficial to footy?? why is it not a rule that if you play a game for that club during the year you cant then be signed at another club in the same year?

I believe a player can be denied a clearance if they have played a single game for there club that season, once that is done they can then be denied on the basis of a required player. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that's a rule.

The only acceptable reason for denying a clearance is if the player is contracted, or owes the club money, which under SACFL interpretations is limited to player subs.
Football aint for the faint hearted, anonymous blogging is!
WellPlayed#9

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Tanunda

Postby grasshopper22 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:39 am

WellPlayed#9 wrote:
grasshopper22 wrote:

The only acceptable reason for denying a clearance is if the player is contracted, or owes the club money, which under SACFL interpretations is limited to player subs.

Well there should be one
grasshopper22
Reserves

Postby Mr Beefy » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:45 am

8.6 Services required is acceptable as a valid reason for refusal of a transfer between clubs only when a
player has played a match for their club during the current season.
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby words of wisdom » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:36 am

spot on wrote:
words of wisdom wrote:What a round of results - Premiership table is very interesting. Going to be a great second half of the year!
Big changes coming to country footy next year with the CFB capping player payments. Hearing the max you can pay a player is the SANFL league minimum.

Agree - it will hard to police but if you get caught i'm hearing the following - No premiership points for 2 years - Game day points will be zero, no recruits - Huge fines. The president of each club will have to sign a stat dec to say that there is no under the table payments - if found guilty there will be legal action.
words of wisdom
League - Best 21

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 19 times
Grassroots Team: Mt Burr

Postby Look Good In Leather » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:32 pm

words of wisdom wrote:
spot on wrote:

Agree - it will hard to police but if you get caught i'm hearing the following - No premiership points for 2 years - Game day points will be zero, no recruits - Huge fines. The president of each club will have to sign a stat dec to say that there is no under the table payments - if found guilty there will be legal action.

The latest is that all contracts will need to be submitted to CFL for approval. Statutory Declarations to be signed by each contracted player at the end of each season to confirm they have not received any benefits from any source as a result of playing football outside of what was stated in the contract and will be ineligible to register for the following season until received by the CFL.

$10,000 maximum fine to club
24 months maximum suspension to player
Loss of Premiership points for all games where breach player plays.

The CFL will be employing investigators to trawl social media for leads to breaches and players will be able to be summoned mid-season with a "Please Explain Notice". Clubs will be able to notify CFL when they make offers to players at the maximum level but the player signs elsewhere, each of these instances to be investigated with Statutory Declarations required from player and club officials indicating the terms of the agreement.
All players signing to country clubs direct from the SANFL will be automatically investigated.

Sounds like it is just going to be a headache to manage by volunteers at club level.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby spot on » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:36 pm

Starting to sound like the Essendon supplement saga.
spot on
Under 18s

Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 9 times
Grassroots Team: Casterton

Postby footytrip » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:36 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote:
words of wisdom wrote:
spot on wrote:

The latest is that all contracts will need to be submitted to CFL for approval. Statutory Declarations to be signed by each contracted player at the end of each season to confirm they have not received any benefits from any source as a result of playing football outside of what was stated in the contract and will be ineligible to register for the following season until received by the CFL.

$10,000 maximum fine to club
24 months maximum suspension to player
Loss of Premiership points for all games where breach player plays.

The CFL will be employing investigators to trawl social media for leads to breaches and players will be able to be summoned mid-season with a "Please Explain Notice". Clubs will be able to notify CFL when they make offers to players at the maximum level but the player signs elsewhere, each of these instances to be investigated with Statutory Declarations required from player and club officials indicating the terms of the agreement.
All players signing to country clubs direct from the SANFL will be automatically investigated.

Sounds like it is just going to be a headache to manage by volunteers at club level.

It does seem like a lot of work and I feel that the league standard will drop as players that would normally travel to our league for good Money could now probably travel 15 mins down the road to an amateur club in Adelaide and get the same Money minus the small petty allowance. The hard thing to stop will be people getting jobs or extra work through contacts at the footy club, for example a sponsor may somehow offer the marque player some sort of "employment" which will see the player earn extra money through really no work taking place at all. May not happen at all but these days there are so many loop holes and will be an ongoing nightmare for clubs and all the people who spend valuable time at the footy club with no payment
footytrip
Mini-League

Been liked: 0 time

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy