Junior Football

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: Junior Football

Postby locky801 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:50 am

jo172 wrote:On junior footy, I notice NEMJFA's use of sports pulse has stuffed up with the actual scores of games being posted rather than the sanitised mercy rule results.

Happens from time to time, usually corrected pretty quickly by the NEMJFA though, if not drop them an email and they will fix
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3647 times
Been liked: 1160 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:08 pm

Bulls forever wrote:
jo172 wrote:On junior footy, I notice NEMJFA's use of sports pulse has stuffed up with the actual scores of games being posted rather than the sanitised mercy rule results.

Jo, jo, jo, first we have an unofficial free kick count of 36-4 (who would actually consider doing this) and now we have NEMJFA stuffing up because their computer program doesn't work properly. Get a life please.

Let the bloody kids play and enjoy football, it is about them, not you.

The usual stupid response to silence any objectors

Do not dare question any rules, you obviously have motivations other than having the best environment for the kids
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Bulls forever » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:49 pm

jo172 wrote:
Bulls forever wrote:

Jo, jo, jo, first we have an unofficial free kick count of 36-4 (who would actually consider doing this) and now we have NEMJFA stuffing up because their computer program doesn't work properly. Get a life please.

Let the bloody kids play and enjoy football, it is about them, not you.

It wasn't me, I was a mere spectator who was told the number. In any event I consider it a barrier to the kids playing and enjoying their football as the rules of the game had become rather arbitrary.

And my noting of the NEMJFA site not working was an observation, not a criticism. If you read through this thread you'll find I'm one of NEMJFA's biggest supporters.

Just unlike Jetters and yourself I think they're fallible rather than perfect. Through improving NEMJFA the kids can play and enjoy football because it is about them and not about YOU.

They are far from perfect, perfect is a place they or I will not reach. How posting on a Forum will assist them is beyond me. But I do have an idea, join the Executive of NEMJFA, like the other 10 volunteers on that committee and have a say in how NEMJFA is run. I admit to admiring the job they do, they have over 200 teams, who knows how many competitions - 16-18 perhaps, with 1 full time person and a bunch of bloody good volunteers that give up their time, mostly after having been involved at club level on committees there, to promote junior football. You can only appreciate what a great job they do, with the resources they have, when you have a understanding of what they actually do to run this huge junior competition. I don't, but through my association with other sports, I have a bit of an idea. They have been one of the most innovative junior sports over the past 10 years that I have seen.

BUT, if like most your association is purely through time your son / daughter spends playing football and then you move on, you will be unable to appreciate this.
Bulls forever
Reserves

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times
Grassroots Team: Tea Tree Gully

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:08 am

Bulls forever wrote:
They are far from perfect, perfect is a place they or I will not reach. How posting on a Forum will assist them is beyond me. But I do have an idea, join the Executive of NEMJFA, like the other 10 volunteers on that committee and have a say in how NEMJFA is run. I admit to admiring the job they do, they have over 200 teams, who knows how many competitions - 16-18 perhaps, with 1 full time person and a bunch of bloody good volunteers that give up their time, mostly after having been involved at club level on committees there, to promote junior football. You can only appreciate what a great job they do, with the resources they have, when you have a understanding of what they actually do to run this huge junior competition. I don't, but through my association with other sports, I have a bit of an idea. They have been one of the most innovative junior sports over the past 10 years that I have seen.

BUT, if like most your association is purely through time your son / daughter spends playing football and then you move on, you will be unable to appreciate this.

Sheesh, I need a cigarette after that! I think the volunteers do a wonderful job and they extinguish problems as soon as they arise. I do feel that it's time to drag the coaches of the younger grades and nut out some of the intricate issues, there is mass confusion with the new rules and perhaps they needed to be put out there well before the season commenced to avoid confusion.
The rule of only allowing 15 on the field needs reviewing, I have emailed my thoughts on the matter, they allow clubs to register up to 24 players, kids don't like sitting on the bench and if most kids are going to spend half the game on there, they will stop playing.
I see first hand how the coaches are under so much stress on Sunday mornings juggling sides and trying to please everyone, their numbers will diminish too.
I enjoy being part of the NEMJFA and appreciate the professional approach that the executive committee adopt.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby gadj1976 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:44 pm

Bulls forever wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:FWIW, my little bloke is playing U6's (he's just turned 5) and I think the rules for zones, no kicking off the ground, no playing on after a mark and no tackling/bumping are great.

My son is slower than a lot of other players, so to get the footy, he has to be running to the right position - and he's learning to play to his strengths.

The zones are good because we've got a couple of kids who would dominate the others in our team. Our coaches to start with were against the rules but have warmed to them after seeing our kids in action.

The only thing I would like to see is the assistant coach be allowed on the ground too. That way while the coach is organising the players near the ball, the assistant coach could look after a group without it. As it is, if the ball is up the forward 1/3, the back 1/3rd are playing in sand, dancing, singing and even skipping!

Hilarious to watch though!!!!

Gadj, let the kids build sandcastles, it is probably the most enjoyment they will ever get from footy. Unless you haven't picked it up yet, you cannot organise U6's to play football. Teach them the skills and let them have a kick. It is a great game, don't over coach at U6 level please.

Yes and no mate. I agree, it can be. But I spent the first three years not getting a kick and it held me back. I think I was under 11's before I got my first kick because my school was so dominant and I was back pocket. I remember panicking because the opposition scored 1.1 and worrying that I'd failed. 99% of the time the opposition didn't even score and the ball didn't get down there.

At least this way they're exposed to the ball a bit more (by way of rotation - therefore they can't spend the entire time sand castling like we used to). The idea being they are around the ball more often, unlike what we went through as kids (albeit 30 odd years ago).

If they don't enjoy it, or still don't pursue the ball, then that's fine.... there isn't any pressure on them at all.

BTW, our coaches are excellent. I can't speak highly enough of them. Their patience with a room full of scalded cats is amazing!

And yes, you can organise U6's to play footy. You should see the way we've gelled since day 1 of training!!!!!
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby Robb_Stark » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:29 pm

under 6s and 7s wow i had a good one on the weekend a player who already had kicked a few goals took a mark i asked him if he would let one of his team mates take the kick as they have not had a kick yet. He did and next thing i hear his dad call him over and say dont pass it or give the ball to anyone else just kick goals.. worst advice i ever heard at that age

coaches are great at that level work well with the umpires you hear some funny things when they try and explain to the children or when they are all playing with each other andnot watching the ball ........heard one coach yell out wheres my defense response was we are playing down in the forward line
Robb_Stark
League - Best 21

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 155 times

Postby gadj1976 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:18 pm

Opposition coach asked for a headcount yesterday.

In Under 6's.
gadj1976
Coach

Postby smac » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:36 pm

He should be sacked.
smac
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby jo172 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:09 am

gadj1976 wrote:Opposition coach asked for a headcount yesterday.

In Under 6's.

A head count where you don't keep score is a rather novel concept.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby smac » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:16 am

"hey mate, I think you've got too many on the field."

All fixed.
smac
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby RustyCage » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:21 am

In Under 6's.

Hope the umpire told him where to go
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:56 am

In Under 6's.

I umpired an Under 6 game on the weekend, organised chaos, it is harder than doing A grade.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Robb_Stark » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:59 am

mix up at salisbury on sunday

under 6s salisbury played under 7s para hills

under 7s salisbury played TTG under 6s

seems the salisbry team managers didnt work it out until half time lol
Robb_Stark
League - Best 21

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:17 am

Robb_Stark wrote:mix up at salisbury on sunday

under 6s salisbury played under 7s para hills

under 7s salisbury played TTG under 6s

seems the salisbry team managers didnt work it out until half time lol

Gold.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby gadj1976 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:12 pm

I don't think the umpire knew what to do. He did the headcount and it was fine. What happened was that we have three zones and it was 5 on 4, 4 on 5 and 4 on 4. At one point, we did have too many, so we gave our extra player (we'd already given them two of ours) to them, so they outnumbered us!

Wiping the score would've made a massive difference in the end wouldn't it?
gadj1976
Coach

Postby gadj1976 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:13 pm

smac wrote:"hey mate, I think you've got too many on the field."

All fixed.

You'd think that sanity would prevail.

It didn't.
gadj1976
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:18 pm

In Under 6's.

that is one of the most unbelieveable things i have heard about.... I really hope someone had a stern talking to said coach...
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:23 pm

In Under 6's.

Under 6's footy just got serious! :lol:
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:46 pm

Saw an e-mail from the NEMJFL to U/8 coaches saying that if the teams have too many players, the coaches must stick to 15 a side. Any coach that agrees to increase numbers with the opposition coach will be suspended for the rest of the season :shock:

Let me get this straight, the coaches decide to play with additional per side to give more kids a go and they will be blacklisted for the rest of the year.

Great way to treat volunteers! I thought the SFL comes up with some hair-brained ideas with their fifteen required officials per team and the like but it is heartening to see there is no sanity down on the plains either and not just limited to us.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Robb_Stark » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:37 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote:Saw an e-mail from the NEMJFL to U/8 coaches saying that if the teams have too many players, the coaches must stick to 15 a side. Any coach that agrees to increase numbers with the opposition coach will be suspended for the rest of the season :shock:

Let me get this straight, the coaches decide to play with additional per side to give more kids a go and they will be blacklisted for the rest of the year.

Great way to treat volunteers! I thought the SFL comes up with some hair-brained ideas with their fifteen required officials per team and the like but it is heartening to see there is no sanity down on the plains either and not just limited to us.

i think you left out some small details from that emaIL....
Robb_Stark
League - Best 21

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League