JUNIOR FOOTBALL

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: JUNIOR FOOTBALL

by Dutchy » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:04 pm

norwood8 wrote:We all know scores aren't kept in subbies (officially), but how do people feel about the kids singing their club song after an 'unofficial" win? Personally I don't see anything wrong with it, as long as the team goes about it the right way. Interested to hear what other think.

We sing the song no matter what the result, kids should be proud of their efforts and club no matter what...all part of the subbies gameday experience IMO.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3495 times

by Dutchy » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:20 pm

Interesting reading match reports on the HVFC website -> http://hvfc.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2 ... 31+May.pdf

Over the top or do most clubs do this type of public report with scores, goal kickers and assessment of the opposition?
Dutchy
Site Admin

by vics01 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:09 pm

DUTCHY
Interesting reading match reports on the HVFC website -> http://hvfc.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2 ... 31+May.pdf

Over the top or do most clubs do this type of public report with scores, goal kickers and assessment of the opposition?

It appears a couple of the coaches maybe trying to live out their playing days and dreams.

A little over the top for Mini's football I would have thought.. I wonder if you went and asked an Under 10 what a defensive or offensive spread was what look you would get?? Maybe just developing the skills of kick, catch, handball etc is the way to go at this level..

We kept a team scoreless while we kicked 20 goals.. What the the kids from either team learn from this??

Next one takes the cake though..

U12 Black –
Happy Valley Black (81) def Cove Red (2)

This week we travelled to Cove on another perfect day, it was a nice change to play here in something other than gale
force winds or driving rain! Our midfielders worked tirelessly for the whole game yet again which was fantastic to see.
When Cove did get it down their scoring end our defense did a great job at repelling their attacks everytime. With
Coves frustrations building they started to deliver the nastiness we were expecting but to our boys credit they didn’t let
any of their antics get to them and just stuck to our game plan and the quality level of football they have shown week in
week out and stuck to punishing them on the scoreboard. The last quarter we decided to turn the team on its head and
give everyone different roles and we found that worked too, it didn’t matter where we put people they all kept up the
same intensity as if they were in their preferred positions. This also shows in the amount of goalkickers this week, both
in the first time scorers and the regulars. I would like to mention that I am so proud of the way our boys didn’t sink to
Coves level and get involved in the behaviour they displayed,
Well done boys!!

Beside the fact this should not even be for public consumption at this level of footy.. One should never throw stones.

Maybe stick to the positives of your team and club leaving the vitriol in the rooms.
vics01
Reserves

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times
Grassroots Team: Cove

by Dutchy » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:31 pm

I don't mind them saying they had a win or loss but to detail actual scores is interesting, the reports are a good idea but just focus on your teams performance, wouldn't even mention the opposition.

Was interesting to see what they wrote about our game a few weeks back.
Dutchy
Site Admin

by vics01 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:56 pm

As per most of the reports over the top..
vics01
Reserves

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times
Grassroots Team: Cove

by MatteeG » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:39 pm

In other sports, a friend's 11 year old daughter plays netball which has results published, and a premiership ladder.

Just shows how much of a joke the 'non-scoring' is. IMO. Most of that match report is OK with me, although the snipes at the opposition reeks of a personal past experience....stick to reporting what your team did well.
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

by Down the Hill » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:57 pm

Yes but that girl would have attended selection trials in Jan/Feb and got put into a team that she must stay in for the rest of the season even if there are a couple of teams above and below in her age group for that club. Too bad if she turns out too good or not good enough for that team, she is stuck with it for the whole season. Similar applies to soccer and basketball. All of them are sports that brag about participation numbers but the drop off beyond age 15 to 16 is massive compared to footy. Yes we in the SFL are encountering concerning drop offs at a similar age but I think it is still a lot lower than those other sports. I think the SFL has it right with how our Mini's are structured. Every coach, player and parent knows who wins the game but no need to publish a ladder or scores particularly with the randomness of the fixture. The Vikings newsletter reports no doubt give added value to players and parents but I think they should review the nature of the content. This is a club that several years ago did not participate in the lightning carnivals because they were opposed to the principle of playing for participation all year but then playing for a prize at the Lightning Carnival. I just hope their Mini's parents sold their raffle books this year.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 276 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

by Dazza44 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:52 am

norwood8 wrote:We all know scores aren't kept in subbies (officially), but how do people feel about the kids singing their club song after an 'unofficial" win? Personally I don't see anything wrong with it, as long as the team goes about it the right way. Interested to hear what other think.

I have always thought that BOTH teams should sing the club song after the game in Subbies, whether you "win" or "lose" (and I certainly thought that was the case in my club). If you are not keeping scores, it's all about kids celebrating the a game of footy ...
Dazza44
Rookie

Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 9 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

by woodublieve12 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:51 am

Dazza44 wrote:

I have always thought that BOTH teams should sing the club song after the game in Subbies, whether you "win" or "lose" (and I certainly thought that was the case in my club). If you are not keeping scores, it's all about kids celebrating the a game of footy ...

no direspect mate, but i think you only sing the song if you win (just my opinion)... For the same reason i think scores should be kept and why there should be a winner and a loser. it's important for kids to learn to win and lose properly. Important life lesson i think. I've coached several kids teams and as a coach i was focused on educationg the kids of our great game (skills, how to play positions and what not) and enjoyment, i was certainly not result driven. Saying that, kids always want to know the score and are focused on winning, whether we like it or not.
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3025 times
Been liked: 2398 times

by Moe » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:24 am

If my kids had to wait until it had an "Unofficial" win this year to sing the club song, we would not have sung it yet.
Fortunately though, I am not that mean, and we sing it every week. It is under 8's for gods sake.
It is bad enough that the kids cant keep score, yet we all know we have lost, unofficially, and singing the song in a huddle is one of the fun things they get to do every game. As well as the freddo frog they all get.

Happy Valley: I just shake my head at you. It is the only club in the last 3 seasons I have had any sort of run in with involving Under 8 football.
1 extremely over zealous coach last year, and 1 over officiating orange coated lady the year before.
Moe
League - Best 21

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 91 times
Grassroots Team: Morphettville Park

by woodublieve12 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:18 am

Moe wrote:If my kids had to wait until it had an "Unofficial" win this year to sing the club song, we would not have sung it yet.
Fortunately though, I am not that mean, and we sing it every week. It is under 8's for gods sake.
It is bad enough that the kids cant keep score, yet we all know we have lost, unofficially, and singing the song in a huddle is one of the fun things they get to do every game. As well as the freddo frog they all get.

Happy Valley: I just shake my head at you. It is the only club in the last 3 seasons I have had any sort of run in with involving Under 8 football.
1 extremely over zealous coach last year, and 1 over officiating orange coated lady the year before.

I'm not mean... I certainly understand why you sing the song, especially at that age...

Like you though i made it enjoyable, that's the point... However i've only ever coached U/11's and U/13's. No doubt my thoughts would change if i ever coached the little ones.
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3025 times
Been liked: 2398 times

by Moe » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:34 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:
Moe wrote:If my kids had to wait until it had an "Unofficial" win this year to sing the club song, we would not have sung it yet.

I'm not mean... I certainly understand why you sing the song, especially at that age...

Like you though i made it enjoyable, that's the point... However i've only ever coached U/11's and U/13's. No doubt my thoughts would change if i ever coached the little ones.

My intention was not to mean, that you are mean old son.
Apologies
Moe
League - Best 21

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 91 times
Grassroots Team: Morphettville Park

by Keyser Soze » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:53 pm

Moe wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:

My intention was not to mean, that you are mean old son.
Apologies

Personally I think scores should be kept from under 12's as they play full oval and no modified rules, most team keep score themselves in this grade anyway. No probs with singing the song each club to there own....good to hear some team songs you don't often hear. :D
Keyser Soze
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 10 times

by marbles » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:08 pm

dont lose an under 12s game at reynella... theyll make ya do 10 laps at training :shock:
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 258 times

by Dutchy » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:29 pm

SFL's decision to convert Under 10's to 15 a side is crazy, while I don't agree with the Under 8's going to 12 a side I can see some merit in it.

But Under 10's are simply taking 3 players off the field, which won't allow for clubs to have an extra team so will just mean 3 extra players on the bench and less players on the field. How does that promote kids playing footy? I cannot see any tangible difference in having 15 or 18 on the ground....
Dutchy
Site Admin

by Look Good In Leather » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:37 pm

Dutchy wrote:SFL's decision to convert Under 10's to 15 a side is crazy, while I don't agree with the Under 8's going to 12 a side I can see some merit in it.

But Under 10's are simply taking 3 players off the field, which won't allow for clubs to have an extra team so will just mean 3 extra players on the bench and less players on the field. How does that promote kids playing footy? I cannot see any tangible difference in having 15 or 18 on the ground....

Shhh! Don't question it
Apparently the kids have more fun because it is easier for them to get a kick.

Don't worry yourself, next year they will bring in a rule where each child has to have a minimum number of possessions per quarter or something else stupid along those lines.

Once again we see a change to the rules with little analysis as to the potential negative effects, but we are apparently not smart enough to understand the reasons why it needs to occur because an academic has written a paper which cites a number of sources which are not available without having to pay for them or spend hours of time at the State Library. Too many knee-jerk decisions being made at all levels with no basic economics being considered.

It is a sad state of affairs
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

by Dutchy » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:54 pm

More chance of kids being lost to the game with clubs turning away players under these new rules. Kids won't get a game so will head to other sports.
Dutchy
Site Admin

by norwood8 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:15 pm

In regards to the rule changes/modifications in the subbies and all the negativity surrounding it at the meeting, it appears a lot of people are stuck in the 1980s. Unfortunately the participation rates in soccer within Australia are huge and are going to continue growing in the near future. There are many reasons to why this is happening, too many to list here.

As a PE teacher I can give you guys a hands on perspective, especially in regards to what kids want out of sport. Personally, I do everything within my powers to promote our great game and I have to admit the SANFL provide excellent resources and initiatives (much better than the FFSA). The small sided games that are in the plans, have been developed through research and observation of other sports from around the world, we don't want to be left behind.

As most would know, a lot of children like to get everything they want and many parents give in to this. Not knowing how to win or lose (a valuable life skill) is fast becoming a trait observed in many children. Now to my main point, children like it or not, want to be engaged nearly 100% of the time and therefore want to touch the ball or be involved in the play as much as possible, with 18 a side games this is clearly not going to be the case. If children are not interested, they will quickly walk away and find another sport/activity that accommodates for this.

Today I have asked all my middle school classes who plays what, and why the sport appeals to them. The answers were pretty straight forward, they want to touch the ball as much as possible and have greater time near the main play. For the good of our great game, it is vital that we adapt to what a growing proportion of society deems as important and relevant in relation to providing exercise and leisure for children.

I can understand there are going to be negatives, such as more volunteers required (if more teams are rolled out). Will the league cap the number of teams per club is another question to find out. How each club responds to these different/extra needs will be vastly different, so will the outcome for each club.

Like it or not, these small sided games are the way of the future, they provide the game with an avenue in maintaining its relevance to modern day society.
norwood8
Under 18s

Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 95 times
Grassroots Team: OSB Lonsdale

by Dutchy » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:58 pm

Why then are there record subbie numbers in the last 2-3 years, when I started 5 years back there were 20 teams in each age group, there are now 25 teams in each age group, that is 15 more teams in 5 years, or 300 more kids in the SFL subbie system.

I would have thought with that growth and numbers you wouldn't want to change too dramatically.

I can cop the under 8's changing, but the under 10' makes no sense at all, 3 less players on a team is not going to make any difference and only put more kids on the bench, when the whole ideal is to get them as much game time as possible. Prolonged bench time will send the kids to other sports....

At the recent SFL meeting we were told the Ammo's have successfully implemented this, however many fo their clubs might have 20-30 Under 8's on average, a club like Reynella have over 60, the logistics of all this is being under rated by the SFL.

Their suggestions is a coach and trainer can stand between 2 games and manage both of them!
Dutchy
Site Admin

by Front & Centre » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:12 pm

Dutchy are you talking about a coach standing between the Under 8s or Under 10s games?
When my lad played Under 8s the coach was on the ground with them
Front & Centre
Rookie

Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 12 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL