HFL Division 1 (Central)

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: HFL Central Division

Postby redsox » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:12 pm

Take Lofty and Nairne out of the Country Comp and that will leave only 4 teams in the Senior Colts.
redsox

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 2 times

Postby The Panther » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:48 pm

Yes , senior colts is and has always been where issues occcur.
It is an important grade and unfortunately clubs struggle to fill these teams.

Whether Mount Barker enter a second under 17's in country or excess players rotate through a Macclesfield team, things can be done.
I have heard the argument that some young men would rather not play than go and fill in at other clubs . On the other hand I have seen it work well in certain cases.

But certainly country senior colts is an area that needs addressing.
The Panther
Under 16s

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 58 times

Postby the_grinch » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:10 pm

Why do people want a 12 team comp? Just wondering what the benefits are.
the_grinch
Mini-League

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 4 times

Postby Windbag » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:16 pm

The benefit is no-one will get put into Country, and everybody in Central are become happy campers, Central Clubs can rebuild and spend time planning for the future without the threat of relegation. Of course it's not a solution to the HFL problems or Country Division.
Windbag
Mini-League

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Lobethal

Postby cracka » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:29 pm

The Panther wrote:
cracka wrote:
groovster wrote:Hard action and decisions needed.. Reality is small town clubs either go it alone or start merger talks. My home town club in The mid north needed to merge to survive and losing identity vs extinction is a no brainer..

I agree. Have said that before on here. Even if there were 3 or 4 mergers I would still prefer a maximum 10 team central comp. 3 mergers would bring the total clubs in the HFL to 16 so would prefer 2 x 8 team comps there.

Just wondering if the clubs you both belong too are ones you would consider for mergers ?

Onka Valley already is a merged club.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 560 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby On The Pine » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:47 pm

The way the HFL is at the moment is both Country and Central clubs vote on all issues, even if there is no bearing on their club or division (I'm led to believe). Maybe the Country clubs who aspire to Centrals should put their cards on the table and be allowed in without any other club being relegated. Then let the remaining Country clubs govern their own comp and structure it as they see fit.
On The Pine
Rookie

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 8 times

Postby Yellow & Black » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:46 pm

Absorbed some very concerning information today. Have it on good authority that a few HFL clubs are paying a hell of a lot more for the services of SANFL players than recently speculated on this forum. One player in particular earns more for one game than most of us would take home in a month, all thanks to a bidding war between 2 HFL clubs. It's obviously not restricted to the HFL, all country leagues are poaching from and killing the SANFL, Something needs to be done. My suggestion, cull the points to 5-10 per club, that way we go back to playing locals and showcasing what Country Footy is all about, playing for the jumper.
Yellow & Black

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Broadview

Postby the wonder elephant » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:59 am

Yellow & Black wrote:Absorbed some very concerning information today. Have it on good authority that a few HFL clubs are paying a hell of a lot more for the services of SANFL players than recently speculated on this forum. One player in particular earns more for one game than most of us would take home in a month, all thanks to a bidding war between 2 HFL clubs. It's obviously not restricted to the HFL, all country leagues are poaching from and killing the SANFL, Something needs to be done. My suggestion, cull the points to 5-10 per club, that way we go back to playing locals and showcasing what Country Footy is all about, playing for the jumper.

You cant post such a rant with out naming names and or clubs :shock:
the wonder elephant
League - Best 21

Has liked: 114 times
Been liked: 18 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby Jim05 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:13 am

How much is Alleway on?
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Yellow & Black » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:38 am

Wonder Elephant, O'Sullivan is on $3,500 per game plus received a hefty sign on. Echunga were the other club competing for his services. Thankfully they weren't prepared to counter. Can't blame O'Sullivan in the twilight of his career. NAFC are more concerned about young up coming players being poached to Leagues all over the State. It's out of control.
Yellow & Black

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Broadview

Postby One Club Player » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:49 pm

Echunga comfortably over Ironbank today. Another disappointing result for our boys. Got to admire Echunga's efforts this year, they have definitely exceeded most peoples expectations.
One Club Player
Rookie

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 14 times

Postby One Club Player » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:34 am

This money issue is such a difficult one. Unfortunately in many ways football has become about recruiting the most cashed up sponsors. I don't think anyone likes it and all clubs have contributed to the problem at some time or another. Some suggestions I think they could try:

1. Stick to the points system - clubs should only get extra points if the other clubs agree - 2/3's majority or something like that
2. Increase the points difference between bottom and top - give top less not bottom more
3. Reduce a players points at a slower rate from year to year
4. On top of the points restriction limit the number of new players (other than juniors) a club can recruit - a club like Uri's who have been top for so long recruiting a Delvins (I think that's his name?) this year just doesn't seem right. That's just an example not knocking them in particular as they obviously do a lot right in terms of retaining players
5. Clubs sign up to a code of conduct regarding player payments - with the clubs themselves enforcing breaches. Eg a max per any single player is set at $x per game - if 2/3rds of clubs feel a club has breached then they can be stripped of premiership points or removed from the comp

There is no single silver bullet that will fix the issue but perhaps a combination of measures might have an impact.
One Club Player
Rookie

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 14 times

Postby Champ » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:08 am

Yellow & Black wrote:Wonder Elephant, O'Sullivan is on $3,500 per game plus received a hefty sign on. Echunga were the other club competing for his services. Thankfully they weren't prepared to counter. Can't blame O'Sullivan in the twilight of his career. NAFC are more concerned about young up coming players being poached to Leagues all over the State. It's out of control.

Seems to be a lot of speculation but if Echunga couldn't afford Motlop at half the price then they weren't going to get close to o'sullivan at the money you've mentioned.

The biggest problem is that the power is with the players; they drive their prices up and run clubs up against each other. Obviously clubs bite all too often.
Champ
Under 18s

Has liked: 51 times
Been liked: 9 times
Grassroots Team: Gawler Central

Postby the wonder elephant » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:34 am

Clint Alleway to ironbank :)
the wonder elephant
League - Best 21

Has liked: 114 times
Been liked: 18 times

Postby Elmer J Thudpucker » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:08 am

the wonder elephant wrote:Clint Alleway to ironbank :)

Ironbank must have more money than sense.

What a depressing way to build a club, spend heaps of cash to recruit mercenary SANFL players (in this case, one with a terrible disciplinary record). You now have two A-graders in your team who are one major suspension away from being de-registered from the sport forever,

I know for a fact there are life-long Ironbank teenagers playing in your B Grade team that are becoming increasingly frustrated.

There's two ways to build a club. You could try the approach that some other teams such as Lobethal, Hahndorf and Bridgewater are taking and backing in your own youth. The Raiders team that defeated Onkas yesterday had 8 local 18 year old lads playing.
Elmer J Thudpucker
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 31 times
Grassroots Team: Bridgewater

Postby grasshopper22 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:27 am

Yellow & Black wrote:Wonder Elephant, O'Sullivan is on $3,500 per game plus received a hefty sign on. Echunga were the other club competing for his services. Thankfully they weren't prepared to counter. Can't blame O'Sullivan in the twilight of his career. NAFC are more concerned about young up coming players being poached to Leagues all over the State. It's out of control.

Wouldn't say all are being poached, I would say some have seen the light and want to come and enjoy there football. While at the same time being financially rewarded for it.
grasshopper22
Reserves

Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 23 times

Postby jumbo20 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:21 pm

Further to the post of Elmer,I am sure Ironbank were talking as was Jars how he was there and appointed to develop the locals.....Also wasn't it he who also complained about overpaying and not developing....

Things have changed obviously, though I am sure Clint is a long term signing aimed to develop the club..
jumbo20
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Champ » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:14 pm

jumbo20 wrote:Further to the post of Elmer,I am sure Ironbank were talking as was Jars how he was there and appointed to develop the locals.....Also wasn't it he who also complained about overpaying and not developing....

Things have changed obviously, though I am sure Clint is a long term signing aimed to develop the club..

Well in the Bankers defence they have changed the name of their B'Grade to their 'Development Team' so this could be what they are concentrating on? Keeping the local youngsters together and building a super team...?
Meanwhile they're flying players in each week from Darwin so adding Clinton to this would indicate they have a bucket load of points?
Champ
Under 18s

Has liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Gawler Central

Postby groovster » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:53 pm

A quick calculation of the Central Shield reveals (JC, SC, B and A)
Bridgewater 80pts
Echunga 76pts
Tvalley 62pts

So will the big $$$s spend by T Valley be worth it to avoid relegation (if relegation still exists for 2015?). If relegation didnt exist would TValley still have spent those $$$s on player/s or invested it elsewhere?

(stand to be corrected on points, have applied 10 for A wins, 5 for B wins 3 for SC wins and 2 for JC wins...I believe this is correct..)
groovster
Mini-League

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby hollywood7477 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:35 pm

the wonder elephant wrote:Clint Alleway to ironbank :)

I think you will find its only 1 game. his suspension ends the week Glenelg have the bye and he will need match fitness. its like when Ty Allen lines up for Morphy Park when he needs the match fitness.
hollywood7477
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 71 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy