Port 2014 - Pre-Season/General Discussion

Talk on the national game

Re: Port 2014 - Pre-Season/General Discussion

Postby valleys07 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:28 am

Booney wrote:Surgery for Trengove tonight.

Will miss 6 weeks.

Massive loss.

Hombsch, Jonas, Westhoff and Clurey have massive roles to play over the coming 2-4 weeks.

Interesting to read Phil Walsh's assessment of Mason Shaw yesterday, saying its too early for a debut.

This would almost assure Butcher of a senior recall. #-o
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1168 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby heater31 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:33 am

valleys07 wrote:
Interesting to read Phil Walsh's assessment of Mason Shaw yesterday, saying its too early for a debut.

Don't think he had played a senior game at state league level until he arrived in SA. Spent most of last season in the 2's with the odd league game.

Probably fair assessment but if he bags a few more 5 plus goals he should be knocking on the door.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Booney » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:34 am

I'm not sure Shaw ;) is ready either.

He missed a big portion of last year, missed alot of the pre-season and has only just got up and running, being competitive at SANFL level. His time will come and no need to throw him in it right now IMO.

On the flip side, Butcher doesn't deserve his spot but it may be a case of now or never for Butch. Here's your chance, take it or we'll have to make the call on you.

Having said that and knowing Port are really keen on Scotty Lycett from the Eagles, he must be chased hard.

A bloke I don't rate much might also help us while Shaw and Harvey build themselves to AFL level, Jarrod Waite, could he be worth a two year deal? Carlton will almost certainly move him on at years end, he would be relatively cheap as he won't get inundated with offers and he'd know he'd be a chance ot play finals football at Port.

As I said, I don't really rate him but Schulz and Westhoff would make Waite the third tall and not the first one taking the best defender.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7468 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby helicopterking » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:41 am

Out of curiosity, What or who would you give up to get Lycett?
helicopterking
Coach

Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 666 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:48 am

valleys07 wrote:
Booney wrote:Surgery for Trengove tonight.

Will miss 6 weeks.

Massive loss.

Hombsch, Jonas, Westhoff and Clurey have massive roles to play over the coming 2-4 weeks.

This would almost assure Butcher of a senior recall. #-o

"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby Dr Phil » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:48 am

kane mitchell and a high five
Dr Phil
Rookie

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 24 times

Postby Booney » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:58 am

helicopterking wrote:Out of curiosity, What or who would you give up to get Lycett?

There's the kicker. Not much other than draft picks, but having said that I think Port would be pretty happy with the current squad and may be prepared to "skip" a draft and give up a first and second rounder to get Lycett.

The only WA native we have, I think, is Ben Newton who is burning up the SANFL this year and constantly pushing for AFL selection. I doubt he would be someone we would be willing to give up. If we really want Lycett though, he may be one of interest to the Eagles.

It could also be a case of him seeking greater opportunities over a fringe spot at Port.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Fricky » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:59 am

Booney wrote:I'm not sure Shaw ;) is ready either.

He missed a big portion of last year, missed alot of the pre-season and has only just got up and running, being competitive at SANFL level. His time will come and no need to throw him in it right now IMO.

On the flip side, Butcher doesn't deserve his spot but it may be a case of now or never for Butch. Here's your chance, take it or we'll have to make the call on you.

Having said that and knowing Port are really keen on Scotty Lycett from the Eagles, he must be chased hard.

A bloke I don't rate much might also help us while Shaw and Harvey build themselves to AFL level, Jarrod Waite, could he be worth a two year deal? Carlton will almost certainly move him on at years end, he would be relatively cheap as he won't get inundated with offers and he'd know he'd be a chance ot play finals football at Port.

As I said, I don't really rate him but Schulz and Westhoff would make Waite the third tall and not the first one taking the best defender.

Do you think Hinkley will be looking at Butcher as trade bait? Or it will be a case of Butcher finding himself without an AFL contract at the end of the season?
Last edited by Fricky on Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fricky
League - Best 21

Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 120 times
Grassroots Team: Walkerville

Postby the milky bar kid » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:59 am

helicopterking wrote:Out of curiosity, What or who would you give up to get Lycett?

About the same as they gave for Brad Ebert ;)
the milky bar kid
League - Best 21

Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 238 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Booney » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:00 pm

Suri wrote:

Do you think Hinkley will be looking at Butcher as trade bait? Or it will be a case of Butcher finding himself without an AFL contract?

I don't know. For two years we've been waiting for his "body to be up to AFL match condition" which it now is. No more excuses for Butch.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:10 pm

heater31 wrote:
valleys07 wrote:

Don't think he had played a senior game at state league level until he arrived in SA. Spent most of last season in the 2's with the odd league game.

Probably fair assessment but if he bags a few more 5 plus goals he should be knocking on the door.

I would have thought with Fletcher and Hibberd likely to miss for the bombers, it could be a good week to give him a taste- but Walshy is right in saying the consistency at SANFL level needs to be there first.

Jeez I shudder at the thought of Butch running out for our side this weekend..
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1168 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby helicopterking » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:31 pm

Booney wrote:

There's the kicker. Not much other than draft picks, but having said that I think Port would be pretty happy with the current squad and may be prepared to "skip" a draft and give up a first and second rounder to get Lycett.

The only WA native we have, I think, is Ben Newton who is burning up the SANFL this year and constantly pushing for AFL selection. I doubt he would be someone we would be willing to give up. If we really want Lycett though, he may be one of interest to the Eagles.

It could also be a case of him seeking greater opportunities over a fringe spot at Port.

Is Newton a midfielder? WC are in terrible need of midfield depth. Lycett was pick 29 I think. I guess it will depend mostly on what decision Dean Cox makes.
helicopterking
Coach

Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 666 times

Postby Booney » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:59 pm

Yes, Newton a ball magnet in the SANFL at the moment and uses it well.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:14 pm

Suri wrote:

Do you think Hinkley will be looking at Butcher as trade bait? Or it will be a case of Butcher finding himself without an AFL contract at the end of the season?

I reckon Butcher will get the chop.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:20 pm

helicopterking wrote:
Booney wrote:

Is Newton a midfielder? WC are in terrible need of midfield depth. Lycett was pick 29 I think. I guess it will depend mostly on what decision Dean Cox makes.

My brother and I were talking about this and he said Port are chasing Lycett really hard and he reckons they will trade Newton for Lycett.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10299 times
Been liked: 1517 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby the milky bar kid » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:21 pm

Pretty sure Butcher is already contracted beyond this season.
the milky bar kid
League - Best 21

Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 238 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby GWW » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:43 pm

The Eagles would go after Sandgroper Mason Shaw if they could - unless this lad wanted to desperately return to Perth (and I don't believe this is likely), there is no way we'd let him go though.

I think a Newton for Lycett swap would be reasonably likely to occur (with draft picks somehow thrown in as well), although I suspect the Eagles won't be as easy to trade with, compared to the Ebert trade a few years back.

Newton does get a lot of the ball, does seem to struggle a bit with disposal accuracy at the higher level at least, although this may be a case of requiring time to get accustomed to the speed of the game.
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby NO-MERCY » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:53 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:
Suri wrote:

regards,

REB

I agree with you Rick E Boy, i don't think he'll get picked up by any other club either.
NO-MERCY
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 15 times

Postby Mr Beefy » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:56 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:
Suri wrote:

regards,

REB

He needs a lot of sausage rolls in the next few weeks but is form to date has been offal
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:12 pm

Mr Beefy wrote:He needs a lot of sausage rolls in the next few weeks but is form to date has been offal

He's still kicked the most goals for Port though hasn't he? Top 5 goal kickers in the league, can't be travelling that bad compared to others.
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 285 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL